What is Freezer Paper?

There were a  lot of great questions yesterday about Freezer Paper.
So I thought I’d make an entire post about it.
I used this so called freezer paper, to make stencils for yesterday’s projects.
(Click here to see them again.)
I also used freezer paper here and here.
It really is some great stuff that can be used for so many things…..and doesn’t cost much at all.
Here’s my box of freezer paper.  All 150 square feet of it.  Plenty for what I need it for.
What is Freezer Paper?
According to Google Definitions: Freezer paper or “grease proof paper” in the UK, is paper with a waxy finish on one side. It is generally used to wrap and protect food that will be frozen, but quilters figured out that they could cut patterns out of the paper and lightly iron it to fabric. …
Where can it be found?
I bought mine at Wal-Mart in the grocery section…..right next to the foil, saran wrap, and wax paper.  I’ve heard others have found it in the same section in the regular grocery store.  So take a look there first.
Here’s a link on Amazon for the same stuff.  If this is sold out by the time you click on the link, search amazon.com for freezer paper and just make sure that is plastic coated on one side.
What does it look like?  How does it work?
Freezer paper looks just like butcher paper.  Except on one side it has a very thin plastic-y coating.
On the other side of the paper, it’s untreated and looks and feels just like regular paper.
How do you use Freezer Paper?
If you lay the plastic-y side down, and then heat it up with an iron (no steam), it sticks to the surface you have ironed it to.  So be careful not to iron it with the smooth plastic side up, or it’ll stick to your iron and cause a mess.  (I’ve never had that happen so I’m just guessing here……but at the same time, it’s not a very thick adhesive so maybe it wouldn’t cause much of a mess.)
After you have used it as a stencil, you just peel it right up.  It is such a light adhesion, that it doesn’t leave any residue on your fabric.  It peels up very easy.  But if you’re painting over the stencil, the plastic-y coating also protects the fabric from anything seeping through.
Attention Silhouette Users: In the comments yesterday, someone mentioned a great tip about peeling the freezer paper up from the sticky mat.
(Reminder: always lay the freezer paper with the plastic-y side down on your silhouette sticky mat.  Otherwise it won’t peel up.)
She mentioned peeling the mat away from the paper rather than the paper away from the mat.  She said it works best to lay it on the edge of the table and bend the mat away from the paper and peel it away from the paper.  It made sense in my mind, so I’ll have to give it a try.  Thanks for the tip!!
Otherwise, your freezer paper will kind of roll up as you peel it away.  Just like mine did in yesterday’s post.
But even if it does, you can still manipulate it and iron it down a little at a time.  Just be patient with it.
And I think that answers the Freezer Paper questions.  I hope that was useful and I hope you can find some freezer paper somewhere.  It’s an inexpensive tool to use with so many projects!
. . . . .
One more thing…….many of you wonder about the difference between the Silhouette and Cricut craft cutters.  I haven’t used the Cricut but many of you have.  So I’m not a good one to ask about the Cricut.  But here’s an article that compares the two.  I thought it may be helpful.  No biases…….just facts.
Okay, I promise…..last question addressed.
Here is link to what transfer paper is.  Many of you who have never used it, wonder what it is.  Hope that helps.
. . . . .
So if you have been debating over getting a craft cutter of some sort and you decide on the Silhouette Cutter, Silhouette is running a great deal on a brand new machine and on their Premium Vinyl.  (Click here to check out the details.  And be sure to enter ‘makeit’ at checkout to receive the discount.)

Filed under No Sew, Sewing, Sewing Tips, Silhouette Craft Cutter

Comments

78 Responses to “What is Freezer Paper?”
    Big Mama says:

I've never used freezer paper for stenciling, but I do want to give it a try. Do you think you can reuse the paper if you're planning on doing several projects with the same design?

Jes says:

Yep I took it off a few times bc it was not centered and ironed it again and it worked just fine

After it is used I don’t think it can be reused. Repositioned yes but used as a repeat stencil no. The paint, ink etc wrinkle the freezer paper and make it less durable. Great for a one time clean stencil.

April says:

Oh man, I use this stuff for everything-it is awesome! It's so funny that many people don;t know about freezer paper. I was explaining it to a friend the other day and another said, "Don't you mean wax paper?" No…

I get mine at the grocery store in the same section as foil, saran wrap, etc.

Bree says:

You forgot to mention the best part about it – the stencil can be reused for quite a few times!

Mrsblocko says:

I love to use freezer paper in crafting, mostly for sewing tiny things like dolls and doll clothes. The wax on the freezer paper is good for a few ironings, but I would be worried that the paint might get in a spot you dont want it to with stenciling if you reuse it. I'm a messy crafter though.

Freezer paper is just like butcher paper, only a different color. If you can't find it in your grocery you might be able to convince someone behind the meat counter for some!

Mel says:

I like the tip on peeling the mat away from the paper, rather than the paper from the mat.

for your Canadian readers, like me; I had a really hard time finding this. I was able to eventually find it at Highland Farms in the saran/foil/ section.

make it perfect says:

If you have any Aussies asking about freezer paper, make sure they know that we CAN'T buy it in Australian supermarkets!
    The product labeled freezer paper in our supermarkets will end up with a yucky mess on your iron.
    But your freezer paper can be purchased at most fabric stores here :)

patty says:

you can get the freezer paper at the usa grocery store in melbourne, just google usa groceries and u will find it:) little pricey but is available.

• 6.1.1
        Kris says:

Many thanks – always wondered if our grease proof paper was the same or not in Australia – so while here in California I will get some.

you can get Freezer paper at Spotlight, they sell it by the metre

CountryBelle says:

Safeway is the only grocery place I've found it in my little corner of Alberta.

did you know that you can iron it on crinkled up tissue paper and trace an envelope onto it and mail it in the mail? Pretty fun when you add it with a card you've made.

:cahya schatz: says:

OMG….i love everything here!
    the art..sewing n love… :)

Tiffany says:

I used freezer paper to make a stencils for my niece's onesie. I wanted something unique but was short on cash. It worked out amazingly!

Brett says:

Thank you CountryBelle! I'll make a trip to Safeway on the weekend! That's probably the only place in Southern Alberta I haven't checked! Well, that's what it feels like anyways :)

Austin and Jennifer says:

Thank you! I loved the shirt with the cute Mary Jane shoes on it that you made, and really wanted to try, but I wasn't too sure exactly how to do the freezer paper. Problem solved! And I have a Cricut, so I will be interested to see how it works as apposed to how your machine worked for you.

Thanks!!

Birdie says:

Thanks for this!

Justine says:

Thanks for the tips! I am a crafting noob so I didn't know how to use freezer paper before, not saying I know now, but I have a better idea thanks to you :)

Just Better Together is having a giveaway!

KAM Avenue says:

Sad to say, freezer paper is hardly seen in Singapore. :( I had to get it from Spotlight at about US$1 per metre.

hayleemj says:

so I am totally buying the silhouette now because of your great deal… however I don't see the "home Decor CD" in the shop anywhere. Please help??

Big Mama – I have never re-used it myself because I always use paint with it. And then I don't want to iron over paint. But people re-use it. That would be especially nice if you're using it as a pattern piece and can iron it down each time.

Thanks for all the other tips and such. And where to find it in your own countries. Perfect.

And Haylee – the "home decor CD" will come right in your box if you use the "makeit" code……because it's a part of the deal this week.

Haleyuns says:

Bless your heart for teaching me (us) about freezer paper. I have always wondered how it worked!

Lois

Rhadonda says:

As far as the transfer paper used with the vinyl we use regular contact paper. (the shelf liner aisle) Buy a huge roll at Walmart. Works great. Have done lots of decals and T-shirts. Never a problem. Love the freezer paper too!

Matt And Robin says:

PLEASE READ! So, I ordered one of those necklaces from the group dealz website you posted about a couple days ago. I received the "coupon code" in my email box yesterday which said to go on to the website and custom order the necklace. Well, the website is gone. As in… removed. The money is taken out of my account. Did I just get scammed? Did anybody else order one?
    p.s. love your website!

Matt and Robin – Great questions….but be assured that you were not scammed. Go and read the comments from the necklace post. The Jewelry maker (Chantelle) even left a comment to explain what's going on.

Hope that helps! :)

Beth Eaton says:

AWESOME POST! I am one of those people that didn't know exactly what freezer paper was used for in the crafting world. You have opened my eyes to a whole new dimension! I'll send my hubby your way when he irritated at more of my crafting binges!

Natalie says:

I really love your blog! It has inspired me! I've started my own blog and linked you as one of my inspirations. Visit me at http://corduroydreams.blogspot.com/

the.babycub says:

This is definitely not the quivalent of Greaseproof paper here in the uk. Greaseproof paper does not have any plastic film coatings.

Mandy says:

I just found This out after reading on internett. So was pretty dissapointed when i tried to iron the greaseproof paper down and nothing happened.lol
      Have now ordered some freezer paper which should work next time :-)

• 24.1.1
        Linda says:

In the UK go to any sewing shop and ask for applique paper or explain what you want and they will show you the equivalent and how to use it too – you can buy it by the metre. Slightly different than this method.

missy says:

I've only used freezer paper when my kids want to finger paint with shaving cream or pudding to protect the table. Love this idea! Thanks. :)

Mommy of 3 says:

Hi Ashley,

Do you know if you can cut fabric with the Silhouette cutter? I know you can with the Cricut and wondered how it compared to the Silhouette.

Love your blog and all the inspiration you bring!!!

Kitty says:

Like the.babycub said greaseproof paper in the UK is totally different from freezer paper. Greaseproof paper is easily found in our supermarkets, I have only ever seen freezer paper in Hobbycraft (UK craft store chain) and other sewing/quilting shops. Some of the paper wrappers from printing paper can sometimes work in a similar way to freezer paper – I used it once to back fabric before cutting out some intricate appliqué shapes.

Jen says:

Very nice post, Just to add if you happen to have a Meijers in you area their brand of frezzer paper works like a charm. I bought the biggest one they had (15o feet?) and I have had it a very long time. Works great compared to the Reynolds brand that I have used too. Just wanted to add my 2 cents!

Beth @ Free Stylin' says:

Thanks so much for the info. Months ago I read about your Halloween shirt with the freezer paper skeleton stencil. I needed to make a stencil but didn't own freezer paper. I used Glad Press'n Seal instead, and it was AWESOME!! If you're ever in a pinch, maybe that will come in handy for you. Here's a link to the post: http://freestylinbeth.blogspot.com/2011/01/free-stylins-vinyl-lettering-fake-out.html

Michelle says:

Thank you–awesome to know. I feel like I could actually do this now that I know what to do.

Lynn says:

I notice that if you Google 'Freezer Paper' in the UK Amazon.co.uk sell sheets of it and at least one online quiting shop sells Reynolds freezer paper by the roll (Ebay too).Does any one in the US actually use it in the freezer!

JennyLyn says:

could you tell me what cut setting you used. I tried some freezer paper Saturday and it made a mess. I may however need a new mat. Maybe it is just not sticky enough.Thanks!

Amanda says:

I've included this how-to in a round up on Craft Gossip today
    http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/9-great-how-tos-for-your-home/ Thanks for sharing it! :)

If you would like a "featured by" button, you can grab one here!

Cook Clean Craft says:

I repeat Make It perfect 's comment that the stuff in the supermarket in Australia is not the same. The outside wrapper of a ream of printer paper works well (and is thrifty!) .

Thankyou!
    I live in Australia and we have nothing called 'freezer paper.' Now I know it is our regular baking paper and can try all these great projects.

Funkymunkee says:

I am from Australia and I found this tutorial if anyone is game to try it… http://sewlovesew.blogspot.com/2009/09/experiments-on-homemaking-freezer-paper.html

She uses baking paper plus Gladwrap/cling film and plain paper to make "freezer paper". From her photos it seems to work.

Stéphanie says:

Any idea what to use instead, when freezer paper can't be found, as in France?

Holly says:

Thanks for the explanation, I keep seeing "Freezer Paper" and had no idea what the heck it was or how to use it!

hey Ashley, how are you? just wanted you to know I love your blog! A while ago I made 2 onesies using freezerpaper stencils, I published them on my blog, and had people ask me about it. I’m a missionary in Brasil, so my blog is in english and portuguese. I made a post about freezerpaper to explain it in portuguese and used 4 of you pictures of this post and your other post about the freezerpaper and the silhouette. I linked the images back and put the link under the images to credit you. I really hope you don’t mind, if so please let me know and I’;ll remove them right away, you can take a look here: http://sweetasmel.blogspot.com/2011/08/o-que-e-freezerpaper.html

Corrie says:

Have you ever tried using the freezer paper as a stencil on wood?

Jen says:

Yes. It ironed on well but after I painted, the freezer paper stuck in a few spots. I am trying to figure out how to get it off!

Honesty says:

About the freezer paper, what setting did you set the blade for on your cameo to cut it?

Hi there! This is a great post and I’ve linked it to my freezer paper post too today, thanks!

How do you get different designs on the freezer paper, trace? I’m confused. I’ve just heard about freezer paper.

Ruth says:

Thanks for the explanation. I’m in the UK too… will investigate sources…

Greaseproof paper is more akin to parchment paper here in the US. I buy rolls of it when I am living in Australia to use as pattern tracing paper, cause it is so cheap…but it definitely is not functional at all like freezer paper. When I need freezer paper down there, I order it off ebay or other quilting supply companies.

Debora Cadene says:

Just found your site and am intrigued about the freezer paper. I just got a silhouette and have been playing around with it using the contact paper, as all I have done so far are word signs. I see you put the cutter at two, but what about the speed and thickness? I am assuming the freezer paper is basically only for fabric?
    thanks for sharing!!

Debora Cadene

Emily says:

I see you putting the freezer paper on the fabric to stencil. I just got a silhouette and am trying to figure things out. Are you cutting the fabric with scissors or what did you do with it? Also on the shirt what did you do with it once the stencil was on it? Thanks!

LOVE Freezer Paper and I’ve had many interruptions, so not sure I saw all the comments here, but my FAV thing to use Freezer Paper for is to print my doll clothes patterns directly onto the Freezer Paper. I measure off approximately 11″ (as the FP I purchase is 18″ wide), so I then have a piece that is 11″ x 18″. I take it to my paper cutter and cut it into two 11″ by 8 1/2″ pieces and iron the top edge to a piece of computer paper, so it will feed easily into my printer. Then cut out the individual pattern pieces and iron them down onto your fabric and simply cut the pieces out — NO need for pins — YAY! As mentioned, you can then re-use the FP pattern pieces over several times before they lose their ‘stick’!!! A REAL time-saver and no more getting stuck with pins!!! Also, I slip my pattern pieces and a picture of the pattern into Avery Sheet Protectors & put into a folder for easy storage!

Diane says:

Has anyone used a freezer paper stencil for BLEACHING on shirts yet?!! I was wondering if it worked out as nicely as the paint…

Opop says:

Is it just me but when I was cutting it out, it ripped. D: Any suggestions?