More from the Silhoutte Cutter: Using Frosted Vinyl……..{Plus Silhouette PROMO}

I love a good deal.  Especially on a bigger purchase.
And if you have been itching to buy the Silhouette Craft Cutter…….this week’s special promo might just push you over the edge.
Especially if Santa forgot to leave you one under the tree. ;)
. . .
I have had my Silhouette for about 8 months now, and have put it to a lot of good use.
Remember some of these projects?
Glass etching, found here.
Vinyl on electronics, found here.
Vinyl on walls framed with empty frames, found here.
Pouches with personalized iron-on and freezer paper stenciling, found here.
Heat transfer on clothing, found here.
That little machine is worth its spot in my craft room.  We have become great friends! :)

Silhouette has come out with some Premium Vinyl, that has a stronger adhesive for indoor/outdoor use.  It’s gentle enough for most indoor walls, but resilient to withstand the weather outside.
Just an overall better vinyl choice.
I tried out one of Silhouette’s Premium Vinyls this week.
The frosted glass color.
It’s a very light transparent grey/silver color…..giving the illusion that something has been chemically etched.
(Like the glass etching image/link above.)
But instead, it’s a layer of vinyl and can be removed at any time.
This is especially nice if you don’t want to permanently etch a window or mirror.
(Not recommended for bakeware, because the vinyl should not be placed in the oven.)
Look at this darling example from the Silhouette site.  Lovely.
I used it just this week on my baking ingredient canisters that sit on my counter.
Eating gluten free requires odd ingredients.  So I have been meaning to label these canisters for a while now.
And I can’t make my favorite gluten free Chocolate Chip cookies without all four of the ingredients that fill up my canisters…….so I figured they were most important to have inside of them.  Ha.
Good ‘ol Xanthum Gum………
And always a nice supply of rice flour……
**The other two are brown sugar and white sugar…….naturally gluten free, thank goodness! :)
The frosted glass vinyl labels the canisters perfectly, without screaming for attention.  Perfect for my kitchen.
But is then removable if I decide to change out a canister to a different ingredient.
(Not like that is happening…….I’m happy with my cookie ingredients!)
And like I mentioned above, Silhouette is offering Make It and Love It readers 2 different deals for this week only.  (Both expire January 22nd)
First Deal??
The Silhouette machine (plus some) for $225……….valued at $395.
This deal will include:
  • 1 Silhouette Machine ($299)
  • 2 Rolls of Premium Vinyl (value $29.98)
  • 1 Roll of Transfer Tape (Value $7.99)
  • 1 Home Decor CD (Value $55.00)
  • Software for Windows XP/Vista, MAC
  • Power cable, USB cable
  • 2 Cutting mats (one for thick media, one for thin media)
  • One cutting blade
  • $10 gift card to the Silhouette Online Store
At checkout, use code: ‘makeit’
Second Deal??
(great for you Silhouette owners)
All Premium Vinyl 25% off.
Great time to test out that frosted glass vinyl.
At checkout, use code: ‘makeit’

Click here, or the image below, to purchase your Silhouette and/or vinyl.
And remember to enter ‘makeit‘ at checkout, to receive your discount.

Filed under Home Decor, No Sew, Silhouette Craft Cutter

Comments

62 Responses to “More from the Silhoutte Cutter: Using Frosted Vinyl……..{Plus Silhouette PROMO}”

so what is the difference between the
    silhoutte and the cricut? Or is there even one.

Jemenifer22 says:

so wish I would have bought a silhoutte rather than my cricut!! I'm so jealous!

bell family says:

we are gluten free our house too. You should share some of your recipes my husband would probably love me if I made something new for him

Anon –

I have never used a cricut but know that many people love theirs. I can only really tell you what I love about the Silhouette……but the biggest difference that I've seen is that you have to buy cartridges for your Cricut (a whole set of shapes and designs) whereas you can just buy one single image for the Silhouette (always under $1). Unless that has changed. Also, you can create your own designs and shapes with the Silhouette…..because everything is hooked up to the computer. The program is pretty simple and is fun to work with! And again, things may have changed with the Cricut……I'm just not sure. I have just had an easy time using the Silhouette and love that I don't have to buy a whole cartridge of shapes to get the one shape that I want. Does that help? Anyone have a Cricut and know anything different?

Katie Fish says:

Mmmm…I loved your gluten free chocolate chip cookies. In fact, I was just telling someone the other day about them.

Oh, and bell family……I'll have to put together that favorite cookie recipe. It's pretty easy and delicious! :)

Amy-Sue and Gian Del Bello says:

Oh darn it…if only I was $225 richer I'd be a craftin' fool!!

jeronimama says:

We are new to the gluten free cooking – my 15 month old is allergic to dairy, eggs, wheat and corn (the list goes on) – would love to get your recipes – we live in rural Ontario, Canada – ingredients are hard to get – must travel 30-45 minutes to get a "big" grocery/health food store. Though I have already made 2 loaves of rice bread – from a mix – I'd rather make my own.

I am all over the vinyl – I am so going to make up a set of cannisters – mine are Stainless
    Thanks
    jeronimama

Gina says:

Thanks for sharing! The "makeit" is only giving me the discount if I purchase a machine, not off the vinyl?

Rachel says:

I know what I will be saving up for! :)

The Smith Family says:

I have both the cricut and silhouette…go with the silhouette if you're deciding. Seriously AMAZING. I'm still figuring the program out as I don't find it as user friendly as I would like…I think I'm just wishing it was more similar to photoshop because I already understand that??? One other thought…I have had a rough time with their vinyl. It REFUSES to stick to things for me. It's falling off my wall as we speak. I really hope they are improving it or already have. I'm not sure if mine is "premium" vinyl but it's silhouette.

Gina…..thanks for letting me know. I'll go find out what the deal is!

Smith family….thanks for the info on the cricut and silhouette. Good to know you have compared the two. As for the silhoutte vinyl…..I think that's why they came out with the premium vinyl. It sticks so much better but still peels off. I agree, the standard vinyl has a problem sticking to certain surfaces. But I really like this premium stuff! Anyway, hope that's helpful!

Sarah says:

We're gluten free at our house now, too and the thing I miss most is my choc. chip cookies. I haven't found a good recipe yet. Will you please share yours?

CraftyBrit says:

I absolutely love that etched look without it being permanent. I'm crossing my fingers my husband knows about this deal this week, for someones, ahem, birthday next week ;)Thanks!

Sarah says:

I love the trifle bowl. The etching turned out beautifully!

TheSweetOne says:

I have a Cricut Create and a Silhouette and love them both for different reasons. I find the selection of layered images from Cricut to be really sweet and easy to use. I love the Silhouette for the trace function, using my own fonts (of which I have A LOT!) and the flexibility of cut length like for vinyl. Sharing my cricut with my mom is though is much easier because it doesn't require the computer (even though my silhouette is an SD it`s still more computer dependent…)
    So, for standalone I love the Cricut. For versatility, I love the Silhouette.

Brandy says:

Frosted contact paper has the same effect, but I guess that wouldn't be promoting the Silhouette brand ;)

I love all of your projects that you have donw with vinyl. Very inspiring!

Brandy says:

You can hook your cricut to you computer as well and create custom designs. It requires software. You can get more into on this blog:

For those who bought a cricut and wish they had a silhouette, but can't afford to have both…this might be another option to update your cricut capabilities! :)

Have a great week!

Brandy
    (GLUESTICKS)

ChristinaMarie says:

I have the Cricut Impressions and i LOVE it sooo much but i also have the Sure Cuts Alot 2 program which hooks your computer to your machine letting you use any ttf and your own images. Before finding Sure Cuts Alot my cricut felt very limited and too expensive but now i have soo many options that dont cost me anything

Tanna says:

Is this Silhouette offer good here in (freezing cold) Canada???

The code 'makeit' doesn't work for vinyl purchases, is there another code?

Christy says:

I couldn't get makeit to work for vinyl either :( help pretty please :)

Gayle says:

Another gluten free household here and I love your canisters, they look awesome. May have to get out the credit card me thinks…!

sharon says:

I just went on to the Silhouette website to order the vinyl only (I already have the machine)… and the code makeit did not allow 25% to come off of the vinyl price…….
    Sharon

Hmmmm……Silhouette should be getting back to me today with why the makeit code isn't working. I will let you all know as soon as I hear. So sorry for the trouble!! And as for Canada….I'm not sure, I asked about that too!! You guys must be freezing up there, so yes, you need a little something to keep you buys, right?? ;)

Just a thought….make sure you are using the 'makeit' code on the PREMIUM vinyl. That's the only variety on sale. Maybe that's the problem???? Thoughts?

UPDATE:

The 'makeit' code is working for both the Silhouette Cutter deal and the Premium Vinyl deal. Make sure you have PREMIUM vinyl in your cart, as that is what's on sale.

And YES, the deals are valid for CANADA too! Hooray!!!! :)

Hope that helps! ;)

Tammy Gary says:

I was just watching Martha Stewart and she has a contest called ReMarthable Crafters, I do wish you would enter! Your ideas are super!

Tiffani says:

I've awarded you the Stylish Blogger Award…recieve award at

Thanks you…your'e amazing!!

:) Tiffani

Cat says:

Oooh, I love those canisters! My mother labeled all my GF canisters with post-its and scotch tape lol. Maybe some day I'll break down and make some pretty ones too :)

Kristi says:

Thank you for the MAKEIT code! I've been longing for a Silhouette for several years and thanks to you I just ordered it! SOOO excited. Thanks again!!

Jennifer Rizzo says:

I might have to get this. I am in love with these projects!

Holli says:

Oh I think i'm buying one. I've wanted one for so long and I think this is going to make it worth it!

Lisa from Craftified! says:

I am loving all the frosted vinyl projects I've seen lately! It's the same look without the mess of etching! Love it!

Gail says:

I was just wondering, can you cut out fabric on this? Do you have to use their brand of vinyl? Just curious…

Gail, no you can't cut fabric with the silhouette, though that would be wonderful!! :)

And no, you don't have to use Silhouette brand vinyl, but you may have to cut the vinyl to fit inside of the Silhouette. I think Cricut vinyl is 12 inches wide but Silhouette is only 9 inches wide. But I have cut vinyl to fit and it it works great. I have also purchased vinyl from http://www.expressionsvinyl.com and really like their vinyl.

Anyway, hope that info helps! :)

bri and shawn says:

@jeronimama:
    we "had" wheat issues with our daughter for the first 18 or so months (which meant I was off wheat too, with nursing and all)–but somehow she's grown out of it, hallelujah! I could not have lived without the series of cookbooks called "gluten-free gourmet" (by Bette Hagman) –waaaay better than any bought/packaged gluten free baking out there.
    Just thought I'd mention it!
    Good luck!

bri and shawn says:

also.
    @anon:

If I remember correctly, there is a link somewhere on the silhoutte website comparing the silhoutte with the circut. (maybe in the FAQ's?)

C. Camp says:

Gorgeous projects. Thanks for sharing.

AmyJ says:

I'm looking at buying the Silhouette today and deciding what vinyls I want to buy. I went through the FAQ's but can't seem to find an explanation about the transfer paper that is listed right under the vinyls and what it is used/needed for. Any help would be greatly appriciaited.

Smith Family says:

It seems that there are more options with the silhouette. I.want.one!

If anyone is interested I am giving away a $50 gift certificate to my Clothing Shop. Follow the link to enter! I also just added two new dresses :)

Ruby says:

HI we are a gluten free eating family too can you share some good recipes. It is hard to find these. It would be so appreciated!
    thanks Ruby

hayleemj says:

okay I am officially going to buy it! Do I have to put all of those items into my cart first and then type in the code?? I was just quickly looking and I didn't see the home decor cd??

Gina says:

I can't seem to find the $225 deal you talked about on your website. Do I add all the products to my cart separately? If so where is the home decor CD and the transfer tape? Love your website.

Hayleemj and Gina – TO receive the discount, put the Silhoutte machine in your shopping cart, go to checkout, enter the "makeit" code, click on "apply" and then the system recognized the deal. Your price will then drop down to $225 and you will have all of the extra goodies added to your shopping cart at no charge. That's it!

Hope that helps!

Hafsa says:

I’m in love with your site… and since I read about Silhouette and the amazing things you are doing with; I’m dying to get one… I’m soooo sad that I saw this offer today while it ends yesterday!!!
    but I'm not sure that they offer international shipping! are they?

Andy Ludlow says:

The deal is still valid. I just placed my order about 10 min. ago! Can't wait to receive it. Thanks for the great savings.

Lacey says:

such wonderful projects!

Laura says:

Really odd question. Where did you get your canisters? Those are exactly what I want to get!

Hey Laura…..so sorry but we got those for our wedding. So I have no idea where they came from. So sorry about that. Good luck finding some!

Emily says:

Ashley-
    Do you care to share what font you used for your ingredient containers? It is all adorable! You inspire us all!

Hey Emily –

The font is called Smiley Monster and I got it here:

Good luck!

Sharon says:

Great deal! Does it expire?

Amber says:

Ahhh i missed the sale, will there be another one soon?

Rachie says:

I LOVE your website!!! It is sooo inspiring!
    We’ve just moved into a new home (renting) and it is super small, I really have to shape up and get rid of alot of things that I guess we have ( i mean ..I’ve been) carting around for years! so i’ve been on this craze for the past 4 weeks trying to find pretty and practical storage solutions and make my house look like a home, with some prettyness and everything!! Iv been on google searching for tips and stumbled across your page today…and havent been able to stop looking at it! I now know where to start and have some focus. I will start with one project at a time and work my way towards completing the whole house :) once ive done that, I will start with other fun creative projects…eg vinyl cutting…I am sooo going to get one!! I thought you should know, that all the way over in New Zealand, you have inspired a young, enthusiastic mother to get out that sewing machine, clear out the garage and really have fun making beautiful creations for my family and friends.

Sara says:

Any chances they’ll be running this deal again this year?

karen says:

Where did you get your canisters????

Hi Ashley! SO many of your Silhouette projects have inspired me…and your frosted vinyl kitchen jar labels were so inspiring, in fact, I just had to include that project in my frosted vinyl round-up. Here’s the link if you wanted to drop by The Thinking Closet and check it out: http://www.thinkingcloset.com/2013/04/22/anniversary-gift-frosted-vinyl-round-up/

Hugs,