Make-a-Cake Series: ‘My Little Pony’ Cake and Rainbow Cookies

Hi, it’s Brittany……and I have something fun to share.
I can’t even believe that my sweet little baby turned 2 on Saturday.
I know I am a bit biased, but she is the cutest angel on the planet.

She loves horses so I decided on a ‘My Little Pony’ theme for her birthday.

I will admit, I loved My little Ponies when I was young. I really wanted an excuse to buy her first ponies!
With this theme, it was all about bright colors, rainbows, glitter, and of course……the original My Little Pony Movie.

So for my sweet 2 year old, a My Little Pony cake and cookies:

With a delicious rainbow center

We were having a small party so I didn’t need a big cake. I made a 10 inch My Little Pony cake and Rainbow Cookies. For this post, I am going to take you through the steps I took and in the order that I took them.

Gumpaste Rainbow
A few days before I made the cake, I made the rainbow so it would have time to dry.
Using gumpaste dyed in the colors of the rainbow, I rolled out a rope starting with red and placed it on a corn-starched cookie sheet in the size and shape of rainbow that I wanted.

I repeated this in all the colors.

After I placed all the colors together I painted a little bit of water between the roped with a clean paintbrush to help the different ropes stick together.
Then I inserted some toothpicks into the bottom on the rainbow. Break the toothpicks in half before you insert them. When the gumpaste dries it will hold the toothpicks and then you can insert the toothpicks into the top of the cake, holding it upright.

**Let the rainbow dry for 48-72 hours.

‘My Little Pony’ Cake
I wanted to carry the rainbow theme into the inside of the cake. It was a surprise I knew the birthday girl would love.
Using two white cake mixes and two 10inch pans, I dyed 2 cups of cake mix the 6 colors of the rainbow.
I used these baking, stacking and icing tips to get this cake started.

I iced the outside and covered the cake with purple fondant.
(Fondant tutorial here.)
To decorate the outside of the cake, I rolled out white fondant pretty thin and cut out white flowers and added purple centers.
Then I added yellow stars cut out of thinly rolled fondant.
Also, rainbow hearts — see below
**For all three of these shapes I used fondant cutters, just like cookie cutters but smaller.

For the rainbow hearts, I rolled small snakes in the colors of the rainbow. I stuck them together with a little bit of water. I put cornstarch on the top of the snakes and used a small rolling pin to roll it out. I mainly rolled the snake flat by making it longer not wider, so I could get all the colors in my heart.
Cut the hearts out with a small cutter and attach then with water to your cake.

For the border, I rolled balls of fondant in rainbow colors and placed them around the cake.
Are you starting to think there are too many rainbows? Never, right?
Next insert your gumpaste rainbow into the top of the cake. Right in the middle. Put some white buttercream into a piping bag, cut off the tip, and pipe “clouds”.
Add your pony in the middle of the cake securing it’s feet in a little buttercream.
I used the pixie pony three pack for the cake. I chose plastic because it saved time and they were really cute.

I added two more ponies on the side and the cake was ready to go…

The Rainbow Cookies.
These are super simple. I bought pre-made sugar cookies from the grocery store, to save on time. I dyed buttercream yellow, green, red, and blue and filled piping bags.
I snipped the end off of each bag and piped a rainbow on each cookie. Using the left over white buttercream from the cake, I piped clouds. To display the cookies I set them into Jumbo Cupcake Papers. I doubled up the papers so the paper would not go flat from the weight of the cookie.

Together the cake and cookies helped my table look bright and cheery.
And cutting the cake?
That was the best part.

This little girl was sure surprised.
Happy Decorating!

Filed under Make-A-Cake Series

Comments

44 Responses to “Make-a-Cake Series: ‘My Little Pony’ Cake and Rainbow Cookies”
    Amanda Joy says:

The rainbow cake is so fun! I did it for my daughter's first birthday

I also did it in cupcake form for a Wizard of Oz Young Women's program. The colors were so vibrant, the cupcake wrappers ended up looking tye dyed:)

Great job and thanks for all of the tips you give.

Missouri Gal Nicole says:

My daughter would have flipped over that cake! I'm going to try to make it for her 21st Bday! I bet she will still love it even though she's a big girl!

tinajo says:

Lovely, just lovely – that cake is amazing! :-)

kpmattingly says:

Awesome! :)

Laura says:

I learn more from you than from my cake decorating class!! I think those rainbow cookies are adorable.

Jody and Amy says:

So cute! Such a cute idea, I love all the different color layers on the cake.

LeighAnn says:

What a great job you did! Makes me want to do a My Little Pony party!

Jill says:

This is awesome! At first I thought your clouds were mini marshmallows…I suppose that would work too… or a combination of buttercream and marshmallows. You've got me thinking – dangerous! :P

Fernanda says:

I LOVED the cake!! I love the rainbow!! So you dyed the cake mix with normal food coloring or with gel coloring paste like the one that use for fondant?
    I am exciting to try this!!

Rhonda says:

That is the coolest cake I have ever seen!!
    My little girl turns 3 tomorrow and I made her a princess cake.
    I had my first attempt with Fondant and loved it!!
    Very excited for my next project!!
    I might have to try this recipe!!
    Its exceptional..You should be very proud!!

Brittany says:

Fernanda- I did use the gel for coloring. They give you really vibrant colors. Good Luck!

Erin says:

Adorable! I really like the rainbow surprise inside. Thanks!

Heather says:

Wow!! Amazing!!

Jessi says:

sweet! this is adorable! can't wait to make it for my little girl!

Sharon says:

So cute! i saw the idea of the rainbow cake (inside) and thought about using it for my daughter's Care Bear party. I think I can use a lot of this cake on the outside too. Thanks!

WineCountryMom says:

I love this! I did a fourth of july red and blue and white cake for my daughters first birthday (she was born on the 3rd of July), but this is quite a bit more than what I attempted. I just might have to attempt this for my youngests' first.

Purnell Family says:

That is so much fun!! Love it!!

Melissa Hislop says:

So So cute. I would love that cake too. I've got to try the inside rainbow cake trick. Thanks for all the great tips and ideas.

1 Second Needles says:

This sure is a creative cake. It also looks really tasty. Surely, many little girls would love to receive this cake on their birthday. Thank you for posting the pictures as well.

Sarah Takens says:

Okay – this is super impressive and super cool! Wow!

bjahlstrom says:

That cake is amazing. The rainbow center really does make you smile! (Or drop your jaw…)

Sisters' Stuff says:

Love all your cakes!! I really want to make a cake from my daughter's birthday. I want to make to 2 tiers. What size of pans do you suggest using for each layer. It doesn't need to be huge, but I want it to be extra cute?! Help Please!

Caley says:

I love this cake! I will definitely be giving it a try for the next party I'm in charge of! Pretty Little Pony was one of my favorites growing up! ;)

Brittany says:

Sister' Stuff — My favorite cake size is a 10inch round with a 7 inch round on top. I think it looks the best. If you want to go a bit smaller just make sure there is a three inch difference between the layers. ex: 9 inch and 6 inch on top. that layer scale looks the best. But 10 and 7 is my "bread and butter" size.
    Good Luck!

craftywife says:

The cake and cookies are too cute!

Torrie Nicholas says:

I LOVE the idea of coloring the cake batter. FAB!!! :)

Sarah says:

That looks amazing – even the inside. What a great job!

I made these rainbow cupcakes (but only did four colors–still took 1 hour to fill the cupcake pans for a double recipe). This would go great for a tie dye birthday theme if you have a little one into that (we did tie shirts as our craft at our sons birthday 2 year using Jacquard kit–fun, and great party favor).

This may be a silly question, but you have to take each 2 cup colored batter portion and pour it into a cake pan to bake individually, right? So in your pic, you baked 6 single layer cakes? Also, would fondant work for the rainbow? Never used gum paste nor know what to look for in the store…

I would love the answer to that last question as well…. and how long did it take to bake each layer of 2 cups? One other question… I have never worked with fondant before. I am worried about doing the whole cake. Although I would make the decorations in fondant do you think that I could use purple buttercream for the main icing or would the decorations get lost in this?

Tiana says:

Thank you for this wonderful idea! I would like the answer to the last questions as well. How long did you bake each layer?

Jemma says:

I have a Food Tech project on cakes, and I want to do rainbow cupcakes with a rainbow made out of fondant! Thank you so much for this!!! X

Elia says:

Awesome cake and cookies… unfortunately i already made the main cake with no colors but the rainbow hearts just got me all excited!!! I’m going to try the rainboe topper with buttercream clouds and the hearts for the decorations on the cake and the cupcakes!! thanx for all your tips!!!!!

Trini says:

I LOVE IT – BRAVO ASHLEY!

Katrina says:

I love this cake! Can you give me some instructions on how to make the 6 rainbow layers of cake out of 2 cake mixes and 2 pans? Did you just back 2 cups of mix at a time for each layer? Thanks

Erica says:

Thank you so much for this post. I used it to make my daughter’s third birthday party it was such a big hit. it was my first real birthday cake I made.

Cait says:

This cake is adorable! My daughter is asking for a My Little Pony cake for her 4th birthday in November and so I’m starting to get ideas now. I was planning on just getting a cake shaped like it but they really don’t have one like that. This cake looks awesome though and I might just be able to do it and totally wow the fam! Question though… where did you find the little plastic my little ponies? I haven’t seen them but would love to use them somewhere on my cake too! Thanks!

Melissia says:

I am trying to make a 3D my little pony cake…Do you have any thoughts? I was thinking crispy treats for the legs and bottom of the body to hold the cake part up? I was wanting your opinion? can you email me some steps or thoughts you may have? Thank you!!

jennifer says:

I love this cake its so adorable!!!! Thanks for all the wonderful ideas :)

im 9 and as i sow it i want to have it

Jaime Wolfe says:

Hello,
    This post inspired my to make a rainbow My Little Pony cake for my daughter’s 2nd birthday and I used the marshmallow fondant tutorial I found in your blog as well. It turned out way better than I even hoped it would. Thanks so much for this!
    Jaime

Tony says:

My daughter is turning 9 and LOVES My Little Pony! I did a search for a themed cake, thinking I’d find some great 2D artwork – and ran across this – WOW! I’m going to attempt this for her. Tonight, I made the rainbow, along with the main fondant (bright pink for my little girl) and smaller colored batches. Tomorrow, I bake layers and make buttercream. Wednesday, I’ll assemble the whole thing. Wish me luck!

Thanks so much for a great tutorial, from a happy Daddy!