His and Her Aprons…….Last Minute Gift Idea??

Just a very last minute gift idea.
Or idea to store away for later use.
. . .
We have some great friends who are both kitchen savvy.
One likes to cook (and bbq) and the other likes to bake.
Perfect combo in that household.
But we sure appreciate what these friends of ours have done for us since moving here to Georgia, so I wanted to give them a little kitchen love.

And because they’re from the south, a little “Let’s Eat Y’all” on the front of his apron………
………….because you’re not really a southerner unless you say “y’all”, right?
**Edited: Okay, I now know that we won’t fit into the south until we learn to spell y’all correctly.  Thanks for the tips on how to spell it in the comment section.  Grrrrr……..now the gift has a spelling error.  Take us or leave us, right????  Haha!
The half apron is plumped up with some yummy ruffles………
………and a nice full bow in the back.
 A fun little set to gift away.
 **Now get in the kitchen, you two!
Would you like to make one of them?  Or the other?
…….or maybe both??

I started with the full length apron.
I used an apron we already had, to use as the shape.  I folded it in half and then cut out the same exact shape on a folded piece of sturdy polyester/cotton blend.  (The finished apron is about 29 inches tall, 10 inches along the top, and 26 inches at its widest point…..in case you don’t have one to trace around.)
I set that aside and began cutting my own bias tape to go around the entire apron.  You can just buy some bias tape at the store but I wanted mine to match exactly, so I cut my own.  To do so, you need to cut thin strips of fabric, cut on the bias.  The bias is the diagonal of the fabric.  There is a selvage on each side edge of the fabric (it’s usually manufactured and sealed looking) and the your cut ends on the opposite ends.  Grab your corner where your cut end and your selvage meet and fold it over at an angle, creating a diagonal fold along your fabric………and that’s your bias line.  Make sense?
Cut right along that diagonal line, giving you an edge to start with……and then start cutting out strips.
I cut my strips out 1.5 inches wide and as long as my fabric would allow.  (You can sew strips together to make them long enough too.)  You’ll need enough to go along all edges of the apron, for the neck loop, and the ties for the back.
Then, fold each strip in half lengthwise and iron flat.  Then open it up and fold both raw edges into that center fold and iron again.
Then use your long strips of bias tape to finish off the edges of the apron.
Start with a long strip going from one side, down along the bottom, and up the other side.  Then stop.  To do this, open up the bias tape, and slide the edge of your apron right inside of the bias tape.
Pin in place.
And use enough pins along the curved edges (if you made yours with curves) to keep the bias tape in place.
 Sew along the inner edge of the bias tape, securing it right to the apron.
Then add bias tape along the very top of the apron too.

Next, create a piece of bias tape that is long enough to create a loop for the neck, to go along both upper sides of the apron and then have the ends extend out long enough to tie around the back.  (You may have to sew several pieces of your bias tape together to create a piece long enough.)
Then sew all the way along the bias tape, attaching it to the fabric as well as sewing the bias tape closed for the neck loop and the ties.  Just start at one end of the bias tape, and keep sewing in one continuous line.

Then, I used my Silhouette machine (found here) to cut out some heat transfer material and ironed it right to the front of the apron.  Nice and personalized.
(Click here to see how else I have used the heat transfer material.)
That was it.
For the Ruffly Apron
I cut out a base piece of fabric that was a slight “A” line.  (Dimensions are listed below….but keep in mind that you can adjust the size of your apron to whatever size you’d like.)

Then I folded under the bottom (21 inch long) and side edges a 1/4 inch, then another 1/4 inch, then sewed in place.
Then I cut out my ruffles.  I cut all 3 pieces of fabric 9 inches tall by 40 inches long.
Then I folded over each edge a 1/4 inch, another 1/4 inch, then sewed them into place.
Except for the top ruffle…….I didn’t fold over or sew the top edge of the top ruffle because it will be included in the waistband at the top of the apron.  (You don’t want added bulk in there.)
Then I made a basting stitch along the top of each ruffle, 1/2 inch from the top.  (If you look closely, you can see that the basting stitch on the right, is for the top ruffle and there is no folded edge on that one.  It’s just a raw edge.)
Need help with basting stitches and gathering?  Click here for more info.
Then I gathered in the bottom ruffle and pinned it to the bottom of the base piece, about 2 inches from the bottom.
Then I did the same with the next two rows of ruffles, making sure that the top ruffle (with the unfinished upper edge) was at the top.  Line up the top ruffle with the top of the base piece and then center the middle ruffle between the two other ruffles.  Once all ruffles are pinned in place and look even, sew along that original basting stitch, attaching the ruffles to the base piece.
Now for the waistband and ties.
I cut 2 pieces of fabric that were 4 inches wide and 88 inches long.  (I had to sew some pieces together to make them that long.)  Then I sewed my two long pieces together with right sides together, using a 1/2 inch seam allowance.  However, I left a 19 inch wide gap along the very center of the two strips and didn’t sew them together at all for those 19 inches.
(I also sewed each end of the strips into a point and trimmed off the edges just because I like the look of the angled tie ends.  But you don’t have to do that.)
Then I turned the strip right side out, poked out the ends, folded under the edges of that 19 inch gap a 1/2 inch………and ironed everything flat.
Then I slid the opening of the strip over the top edge of the apron.  I matched up the edges of the opening of the strip with the top edge of the apron.
I pinned all along the top and bottom of the waist band section.
Then I sewed all the way around the entire strip……down to each end and angled tip.  I sewed about 1/8 of an inch from the outer edge.
Then I added another seam along the shape of the waistband, about 1/4 inch from the outer edge………to really secure the waistband to the apron.
And that was it.
Now, 2 aprons for a very deserving couple of friends.

Comments

42 Responses to “His and Her Aprons…….Last Minute Gift Idea??”
    Jenny and Jake says:

I really, really like these! They're so cute, and a better pattern than the one I've used in the past. My only complaint is I would've chosen a different color besides bright blue for the font, perhaps red or even a darker blue. They'd be easier to read.

Karena says:

Ashley these are absolutely great!!! thank you for sharing!

Joyeaux Noel!

I have a new giveaway from My Sparrow, do come and enter!

xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

Simply Complex says:

Those are so awesome! If you ever give them away, let me be first in line!!!

Brittney says:

Cute! The fabric for the bow/tie on the hers apron is what we used for our son's crib bumper. Love it!

Elizabeth Checchio says:

These are darling Ashley! I think the half apron is especially fantastic. A modern look for a vintage style…. Perfect. I am sure they loved them.
    Cheers

Damaris says:

WWOOWW!! Thank you for making the instructions SEW EASY!! XXOO, Damaris

Lynette @ My Craft Discovery says:

I love your explanation of bias tape! Best one I've found so far. I love the girly apron fabric…I had been meaning to get me some, but never did. Love them both!

Grown Up Rachel says:

Love, love, love these aprons! Especially the girly one, because I even have that fabric. <3 rachel

*reyanna klein* says:

These are so cute! What a great tutorial!

p.s. Not to be a pain, but it's spelled "Y'all." It's a contraction of You and All. :-)

Stephanie says:

Very nice – I especially LOVE the ruffled apron. Thanks for the tutorials.

Julie says:

I totally picked up that girly fabric this last week for a Christmas gift for a friend of mine!
    Love the tutorials! Thanks and have a great Holiday Season!

Karin says:

What a cute idea!! Love it & hate to be a pain too- it is spelled y'all (like another person commented.) Super cute ideas though! I love handmade gifts!!

Rachel רחלי גזית says:

Gorgeous.
    At first I thought her apron is actually a skirt LOL.
    Thanks for the great tutorial

Bridget Lewis says:

You've done it again!! I just found your blog about a week ago and I'm in love!! All your ideas and tutorials I just can't wait to get started!! I'm gonna make a set of these for when we have Christmas in April. My husband is deployed and we're doing a HUGE Christmas when he gets back,he's not going to miss a thing! Maybe that will show him that he needs to learn how to cook more than pancakes and eggs lol THANKS!!!

Ack!! I guess it's REALLY obvious now that we're not from the south. The contraction makes sense to spell it y'all. Dang. Maybe i've seen it spelled incorrectly too many times? Sorry kim and tom…….your gift has a spelling error on it. Eek!

rachaek says:

I love the half apron, so cute and practical!

Katie says:

Love the ruffled apron so much. I have so much enjoyed looking through your blog recently. Such great ideas! I'm awarding you the Stylish Blogger Award – for more info about it go to http://eyespydiy.blogspot.com/2010/12/stylish-blogger-award.html

good

good

Suzie Bee says:

I also thought the lady apron was a skirt – in a good way! I love vintage half aprons, though never wear them because I invariably end up spilling stuff all down my top!

Beth Hawks says:

Adorable set. Great gift idea for a couple!

Perry Peck says:

Love this! You can also write funny things on a white aprons!

Mrs.Katie.S says:

CUTE!!!! I have been needing to make my dad a BBQ apron and THIS IS TOO CUTE!!! well MANLY haha I will be looking at your silhouette machine thingy next… LOVE YOUR BLOG!!!!!!!!!! I read it for something new everyday!

Sarah says:

So cute…cant wait to try both these patterns out!r

Emmie-Lew says:

You spelled it right. No stress. :D
    Ya and All
    Ya'll
    I'm in Texas and you're good.

Emmie-Lew says:

Oh! And I love the aprons! :D

Colby and Jessica says:

Um, I think I wanna wear that apron as a real skirt! So cute!

russian girls says:

Thank you very much for the extensive explanation.

Ryan and Jillian Neeley says:

Okay so I cannot find any cute fabrics like you use on all your projects! Where do you find all of your fabric?

Cel and JP says:

If it makes you feel any better, I've lived in the south for seven years and am still meeting people who have lived here all their lives who misspell y'all :) so you're in good company. And besides, you're super talented, intelligent, doing a splendid job raising a beautiful family – a girl can't be perfect at everything, right? keep up the awesome posts! your blog is definitely one of my top ten favs :) I love your easy to follow instructions, creative ideas and beautiful photos. Merry Christmas!

Ryan and Jillian Neeley says:

I love all of the fabric that you use, where do you get all of your fabric??

Well, I'm in Texas too and an English teacher. It is spelled y'all.

Brett says:

I've been in the south for almost 20 years and always seen it spelled ya'll. Perhaps that's the one word we're all allowed to misspell? But it must be seen with both spellings often enough that both spellings are acceptable. The aprons are awesome regardless. :-)

~Holly~ says:

Hi Ashley! I stumbled upon your blog and I'm totally impressed! Wonderful and beautiful work! I'm a fan!

I got the fabric for the aprons at Hobby Lobby.

But for more info on where I buy my fabric, check out my FAQ section here:

tracy.rose says:

I have always considered myself pretty crafty, but I have never been much of a sewer. I asked for a sewing machine for Christmas just so I could do the projects on your blog. And I got one!!!! I can't wait to work my way through and make everything!!! I think I might start with this apron.

Saige says:

I'm so behind reading my blogs (and posting for that matter!) and when I got to this one, I was like, *deep breath intake* she spelled it wrong. :( Then I saw the edit and laughed out loud!:) I'm sorry. I've lived in Georgia all my life and didn't know better until about 5 years ago, so, you're ok. :)

Bethany says:

How many yards do you need for the man’s apron?

Kate says:

Ashley, I’m such a big fan of yours! I’m going to make my toddler his very own apron for his upcoming birthday, and I just wanted to say thanks for this great tutorial. You’re so creative and have tried so many different projects, that I always know if I come to your blog I can find the help I need. Keep it up, girl!

CAPERNIUS says:

These are nice! :)

Q:
    I have heard where you can make an apron from a pair of blue jeans….
    How hard is that really? or is it even possible?

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. [...] great gift idea for a wedding, shower, or just a couple’s Christmas: His & Her aprons. Of course if you’re looking for something fun for yourself, why not try this Craft Vendor [...]

2. [...]  Aprons for him and her by Make it Love it [...]