Embellished Tee: with Multi-Layered Flowers

Did you notice the winner of the Much Ado About You giveaway?  Scroll down or click here.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
So, I know embellished Tees have been done again and again and again.
So really, this concept is nothing new.
But with a growing belly (see post here) I seem to run out of tops that fit.  (And pants too but that’s another issue.)  But maternity shirts tend to be pricey.  And that’s frustrating.  Because anyone knows when a pregnant woman gets cranky and doesn’t have anything to wear, she’s willing to spend triple what she normally would.  Or is that just me?
Anyway, I needed to bulk up the maternity shirt section in my closet………so this was my solution.
I purchased a long sleeved knit Tee that was a size bigger than I normally wear, to fit my growing belly, and also bought another one to use as the extra fabric.  (Both were purchased on sale at Target and ended up still being cheaper than buying a new maternity shirt.)
And then I cut up one of them and used it to add some love to the front of the other one.
Sure made me happy.
Especially to have something more interesting than just a plain ‘ol Tee.
And maybe that burnt orange color kind of makes me love November.
And those full and messy flowers?  I adore them.
 **EDIT: I would recommend not drying this shirt in the dryer.  Press the flowers flat after washing and allow to air dry flat or on a hanger.

And maybe I have been embellishing a few other Tees to add to the wardrobe as well.
Check back for more in the next few days…
Would you like to make one of your own?
Start with two shirts in the same color…….(wait for them to go on sale).
Or buy enough knit fabric to make your shirt like the tutorial here.
Then, begin cutting out 2 different sizes of circles out of the extra Tee.  If you make it like mine, you’ll need 42 of the small circles (2 inches in diameter) and 18 large ones (3 inches in diameter).
I used my Go! Cutter to cut out the circles, just like in the tutorial here.

I couldn’t find a scoop neck in the color I wanted, so I had to buy a Vneck.  So I used some scraps from the scrap Tee to create a panel behind the lower portion of the V……..to give the neck line the shape that I wanted.  Otherwise, I would have had to create a V pattern with my little flowers…..which I didn’t want.  But it’s up to you.  Or you can get lucky and find the exact scoop neck that you want.
Next, place the circles in the arrangement that you want……..3 big ones and 7 small ones.

Then, using the same technique as the tutorial here, fold 6 separate circles for each flower……and pin them in place.
And then attach them to the shirt, just like the tutorial mentioned above.

And that’s it.

So if you have a new expanding belly or not………..

……..throw that new Tee on and love it.
Every part of it.

Filed under Clothing, Re-purposing, Sewing, Women's Clothing

Comments

67 Responses to “Embellished Tee: with Multi-Layered Flowers”
    Jan says:

This post couldn't have come at a better time. My daughter is feeling a little frumpy (her words) and needs to spice up her maternity wardrobe (on a dime). We'll be looking for more fun ideas to come. We are sewing on Friday!Thanks for the idea!

Justine says:

This is awesome! I need to try this one day!

I am bookmarking this link!

Just Better Together

Goings on at the Glenn's says:

I think it is so cool that you and I have been on the same page for awhile. Your daughter is the same age and size as mine and we are both pregnant. All your posts come at the PERFECT time! Love this idea. I need to add to my maternity shirt section as well. Thanks for this

Marie says:

i envy your creativity! :) love it!!

Deanna says:

I LOVE the color, the design, the price, the tutorial, the LOOK! THANK YOU!!!

(And my dh works at Target, so I'll get an additional discount! Boo-Yah!)

SEVGİ says:

Çok şık ve çok kolay yapımıda çok zevkli görünüyor..
    sevgiler..

Trisha says:

What a great idea!!!

OrloSubito says:

is so beautiful!!!! can I ask youhaow do you cut the circles? do you use some kind of "macchine" or you do it by hand?

ween says:

thanks for sharing the tutorial! the outcome is so beautiful :)

kpmattingly says:

Love this!!! Very cute!

Jenni says:

adorable!

Lisa says:

This is gorgeous! What a beautiful shirt! And a great maternity shirt since some of them can be so ugly!

Rebekah says:

The embellished tee may have been done again and again, but I've never seen one done quite this way. Love it!

Laura@Cowboy Boots says:

i'm 28 weeks preg w/#5 …this will sooo come in handy! now I'll be stylin for the winter months w/o paying a fortune for a new shirt!!! thanks!

Susannah says:

Love it! No need to get a trendy chunk necklace when you have a shirt with a timeless neckline!

Mindy says:

What a great shirt and tutorial! Thank you for sharing!

Kelly says:

I love it! So cute!

Nikki says:

I love, love, LOVE this! Thank you!!

jbr says:

Beautiful! I am going to be doing this one soon. Thanks for sharing.

stephanie says:

Super cute! What a great idea. This embellishment could be used on so many different garments.

Tiffany S. says:

So cute! It doesn't look too difficult, too.

Erin says:

Thanks so much for this post! I never get sick of seeing new ways to embellish shirts. I love buying the cheap Target shirts and using scraps from other projects I make. Keep them coming ;)

Kimberly says:

Oh, that is just so cute! Thank you!!

Audrey says:

Can you sell these? I am low on time and energy right now (4 months along….) but I would love one, and love other tees you might come up with (although I'm a redhead, so burnt orange is not as much my thing, I wish it was). Anyway, let us know if you decide to sell some on your etsy shop!

Janette says:

Oops…
    Thank you! I'm going to try this one (as soon a we're done with this nasty head cold). I'm not preggers (I was recently though), but I have twin babies who spit up – a lot! This will be a cute cover-up for all those spitup stains on my shirts. Thanks for not letting us get too frumpy!

angelangelee.blogspot.com

Stephanie Krohn says:

Thank you so much for the tutorial, I love your flowers! Some embellished flowers are just too big, but these look just right. I, too, am at the same stage- frustrated with the cost of maternity clothes, so I have started buying shirts one size too big.

NatalieJean says:

There is no way that one can have too many embellished Tees. Thanks for sharing a wonderful tutorial once again!

Sammy says:

Beautiful Thank you for sharing.

Love,

-Samya :-)

kirsten gail says:

Great tutorial! Your shirt looks great. I just discovered your blog via oneprettything and just followed you as well…loving your blog!

Karen G. says:

Keep the embellished tees coming! I love all of the different tutorials. This one turned out so cute!!

Brenda says:

I can't wait to try this. I made the sweater bag. I'm posting it today. It didn't turn out as great as yours, but I like it.

jomymother says:

This is a great idea! Thanks for sharing. I've bookmarked your blog. Love it!

Erin says:

I too adore this style, but even non-prego shirts can be pricey. Thank you!

HIDE A HEART says:

This Tee is FANTASTIC!
    Thanks for the tutorial. You'll see a lot of us wearing one of these.
    MCatherine
    HIDE A HEART

I heart digi scrapping says:

Great blog! I am featuring upcycling clothing next week in my blog… can I feature you? Check me out at:

Erin says:

This turned out really cute! The color of the shirt is great too!

TYRaines says:

I really love how this project turned out! Thanks!

Kristin Binkley says:

I love the embellishment!! I want to know though.. did you just spin the tee in circles or lift your feed dog and use a stippling foot and free motion the flowers??

The Tinkerer says:

Beautiful! I've got to try this! Thank you for the tutorial!

CaraMagic says:

This is beautiful! I wondered how those were done, thank you so much for posting this.

I just got done making this – I LOVE it!! It turned out great. Thanks for the great tutorial!!!

Lou Ortellado says:

Awesome!! I loved your blog and I am folowing you from Brasil.If you want to see what I do, please come to visit me on:
    It will be a pleasure for me
    Thanks for sharing!
    Lou

love and relationship says:

Oh, that is just so cute and creative! Thank you!!

tothesquareinch says:

This is seriously beautiful! I wouldl ove the make this!

Jennifer Murphree says:

Thanks so much! This post was just in time for me to add some fun to my daughter's dress. I used a woven white fabric and pinked the edges of the circles. They ended up looking like little carnations. Cute!

Laura of Harvest Lane says:

Very clever!

You could even use another t-shirt to make contrasting flowers.

I'm putting you back on my sidebar. I had accidentally deleted my favorites; but, now that I've found you, I want to keep up!

Laura

Jessica says:

I LOVE those flowers! What a fun and super easy way to add something to a shirt. It's so hard to find cute maternity shirts. I LOVE this! Thanks for sharing.

justenoughstyle.blogspot.com

m.starrs says:

I loved this! And got to work right away and made one. So cute the first day i wore it. But, it did NOT do very well in the dryer. The flowers look really bad now and i don't think i can wear it :( I'm not sure where I went wrong! Bad fabric? Should have avoided the dryer?

m.starrs…..aw, bummer. I'm so sorry drying it ruined it. Is there anyway you can sort of press the flowers flat with an iron to give them some shape back?? Or did they completely fray? If it was knit, it shouldn't have frayed too badly…..but try pressing the flowers a bit. And then, no, I wouldn't dry it in the dryer. I didn't even think to mention that because I hang dry all of my shirts. (But I've added that to the tutorial now.) Sorry for the mishap. But let me know if you're able to spruce it up at all.

Jocelyn says:

Ashley, this tutorial is ADORABLE and I used it to make a large hair clip for my daughter! I wanted to let you know that I had paid you honorable mention and invite you to check out the post on my blog at auburnserendipity.blogspot.com

Thanks for the ideas!!!

Jocelyn

inday_adin says:

I love this one! Thanks for sharing. :)Maybe I can try this one some time.

Adin B

METAMORFOSIS says:

Me parece muy original lo que haces con las camisetas!!!! de darles otra apariencia mas exclusiva y a la vez menos corriente.
    me encanta tu blog, y te invito a visitar el mio:

Kiki B. says:

Adorable! I accidentally ordered two of the same plain black t-shirt online last week and was wondering whether or not to go through the hassle of returning the second for the lousy 4 euros it would get me (Hema is like the Dutch Target), but this solves the problem, and will add a little something extra to my favorite basic tee!

Casey says:

I love this shirt! I attempted to make my own this past week, but I found it impossible to sew the knit flowers! I am an intermediate sewer but have not done much with knit. The flowers were so thick and stretchy that it was impossible for me to sew a circle, even a bad one! Is there some type of set up that I should have done? I ended up sewing the flowers on by hand, but it didn't turn out near as cute as yours! I posted a picture on my blog http://www.simplejoycrafting.blogspot.com, and I will be linking back to you. I'm not giving up on the knit, I love all your tutorials! Thank you!
    Casey

Simply Sara says:

oh goodness! I just found this! I am going to make a t shirt for my mother for mothers day! A white t shirt with pink, red, orange and yellow flowers! I think this is so amazing!

Siam says:

What an imagination you have! I'm a plus size gal and what's offered in the store for us is simply UGLY! They seem to think because we're plus size we have no fashion sense. I LOVE this shirt and it will be simply perfect with a nice pair of capris and sandals for those summer time get togethers! Thank You!

Hannah says:

I just finished this tonight…gray flowers on a gray tee, and I love it. Got the t’s for $3 each on clearance, and I love the fit. I’m entering it in our county fair open show next week, so we’ll see how I do! Thanks for the tutorial…so easy to follow! I’m not sure my sewing is neat enough for the judges, but I love it.

RougeBaguette says:

Oh this is most gorgeous! and the best thing is that I can repurpose that t-shirt with the neckline which I find too low and is now unused because of that… u’ve got so many fantastic ideas on your blog! Thanks for sharing! :)

Katie says:

I love t shirt refashions and I think this is my new favorite! I have featured you on my blog The Crafty Blog Stalker, Pinterest Picks post. I would love for you to stop by, grab a feature button and wear it proudly.

I love this, and would LOVE to make it, but I’m just terrified I will mess it up. I’m so used to sewing purses and stuff like that, but I’m not so great at making clothes, and am just now starting to figure these things out!

Med.Sprite says:

I know this is an old post, BUT I had to comment because I’ve been upcycling t-shirt sleeves into hairbands and couldn’t find an attractive matching flower design, until now! These are lovely… sturdy and secure, too, which is an issue with thin knit. Thank you so much!!

BTW, you could use the rest of the Tee to make inserts into the sides of your first top, so that you have more wiggle room as baby grows. That way, you don’t actually need a bigger shirt size, just a second top in the same colour to match. Here’s a tutorial kinda like what I mean: http://chewynoodles.blogspot.ca/2012/03/racerback-tank-w-hanky-hem-tutorial.html

GREAT site, I am getting so many ideas! Peace & blessings.

Margaret Kazda says:

This is a great idea. Even contrasting colors would work or multicolored. Very nice. Enjoyed reading and seeing the detailed explanation.. thank you.