Maternity Band

Yes, the secret is out.
(This secret, here.)

And let me just say……..wow.  And thank you.  Thanks for all of the well wishes and congratulations.  And in a cyber-kind-of-way……making me feel through your comments like you just dropped off a plate of warm cookies.  Or a bag of candy corn.  Haha.  But really, thanks.
And yes, I’m thrilled to create many more little eensy-weensy outfits…..so stay tuned. :)
(And that little dress I made is a pattern in the works.  I was thinking next spring but maybe there are enough people who’d like a head start?  I’ll see what I can do.)

And in case you were wondering, yes, my belly is expanding.

And with an expanding belly, clothes are sometimes tricky.

Have you seen all of those belly bands that allow you to wear your non-maternity pants…..but unbuttoned?    (Not that all of my non-maternity pants fit.  But sometimes I buy larger pants and wear them unbuttoned while pregnant.  I don’t always care for those huge maternity pant, up-to-my-chest, waist bands.  Frustrating.)
There are many, many belly band brands out there but they are all basically the same thing.  A band of stretchy knit that hides your waist band and opened button…..to give you a bit of extra room around the waist……while also keeping your pants up. No more rubber bands holding your pants closed.

I had never used one before today and have always just used a long cami under my shirts.
But you know the problem with those?
-When you bend over, they pull up.
-When your belly grows out, they shrink up.
And there’s nothing I hate worse then my belly peeking out at the bottom of my shirt.
Know what I mean?

But these maternity bands actually stay in place…….right around the waist.

Full coverage.

And ahhhhhh, can I tell you how comfortable they are?  No elastic at the top, no tightness, nothing.

It feels like yoga pants around your waist.
And lets hear a 3 cheers for wanting to wear yoga pants everywhere for the entire 9 months of pregnancy.  How I wish.

So, from the outside, the maternity band looks like a little layered cami look…

But it only goes up part way.

And after making this gray one, and loving it, I made 4 more.

And why not?
It only took about an hour to make all 5.
And barely cost me a thing.

Perfect.

I sure loved paying maybe $1 for each one, rather than $15-$20.

And you know, I plan on using these for that squishy post-delivery belly when nothing fits for a while.

And also as a way to keep a bit more covered while nursing.  I can just keep the band around my waist while the shirt goes up.  Even though I also use a nursing cover or blanket to cover up….I like to keep my sides and back covered up too.  So I like this idea.

So thank you to that first person who ever thought up the idea.

I love it.

Would you like to make your own?

I used up knits that I already had and actually paid nothing for this project but if you are going out to buy some knit, you don’t need more than 3/4 of a yard.  Make sure to check the sale bin first……I can often times find knits for $2-$3 a yard.  (I used jersey knits and some blended knits with some lycra in it for all of my maternity bands.)

Now, everyone is a different size and may end up needing a different amount of fabric.  Also, you may like the band to go higher/lower on your belly or a bit tighter around your middle…but here are the measurements I used.

I cut a piece of knit that was about 35 inches wide and 20 inches tall.  Some of the knits weren’t as stretchy so I experimented with making the piece more or less than the 35 inches wide.  Just start bigger and then you can always cut it down.

**And make sure that the stretch is going width-wise, so it stretches across your belly.

First, I folded the knit in half longways and used a zig-zag stitch (so it would still stretch) along the long side, using a 1/2 inch seam allowance.

Then I turned the long tube right side out and folded it in half with the seam along the inside.

Then I matched up to 2 inner seams along both raw ends and pinched them together.

Then I began sewing the 2 ends together, with the right sides together.  I continued with the zig-zag stitch and 1/2 inch seam allowance.

I sewed as far as a could go…..because your fabric is twisted and you can’t sew all the way around the circle opening with the right sides together.

Then, I shoved the insides towards the inside and was left with an opening.

So i hand-stitched the opening closed.  (Need help with hand-stitching?  Click here.)

Once you have hand-stitched the opening closed, maneuver the fabric around until the long horizontal seam is laying along the inside of the band.  Then iron/steam the whole thing flat.

Now make several more.

It sure makes the big belly life easier.

Ahhhhh……..

Filed under Baby, Miscellaneous, Sewing, Women's Clothing

Comments

137 Responses to “Maternity Band”
    Zepequeña says:

Good idea!

Zepequeña.

ktrose68 says:

you can also just get jersey cotton pillow cases and just cut it just about in half and step in.

• 1.1.1
        Taylor says:

And as a result you’ll have frayed, rolled-up, annoying mess of fabric. Bleh.

• 1.1.1.1
          Leslie says:

Actually, it wouldn’t fray at all, since jersey is a knit, and knits don’t fray. It would probably roll though, since jersey is notorious for rolling, but that would easily be fixed my just sewing the two ends together.

Leslie says:

This is really cool. We're trying to get knocked up and I always drool over maternity clothes. I saw this the other day at motherhood and was like "I'm gonna buy a ton of those!" Now, I don't have to! yay!

Hazel Spupspe says:

This is fantastic! Makes me want to be pregnant again! Really love your blog.

Emily says:

Love the polka dotted one! Great idea to use it while nursing. I'll have to make some if I get pregnant again.

Thanks!! This is just in time for my belly :)

Hanneke Nelson says:

I swore by those during my pregnancy, especially at the end when all my shirts had miraculously become too short.

Congratulations on the baby, I wish you a wonderful pregnancy!

Hanneke

Color [Me] Happy says:

Although I am not preg, I use a wheelchair and sometimes my pants, well fall off! LOL
    This is be perfect and not be or look odd! Do you take orders?

The Wade Family says:

I love this idea! I had my baby about 4 months ago- let me tell you- I really could've used this while pregnant! (why have I never seen these before??? I don't know!) Anyhow- My clthes still don't fit well- so I'm making some of these to get me through the winter. Thanks!!!!!

- Sarah :-) says:

This is amazing!! Seriously… I absolutely love it! And as a non-pregnant girl, I think I'll even make a few for that "layered" look without having to shop forever for a tank top that's long enough and not bulky… adn stays in place all day, with no tugging or readjusting. How fun!!

Lori Thompson says:

Thanks for the tutorial! LOVE THIS IDEA!!

Beth @ Sand To Pearl says:

These things are the BEST! I had a bunch with my last kid, and I loved them, they are so versatile, and can be used for so long, they are totally worth it.

Nic says:

Oh I am so glad that you posted this – I really didn't want to spend $15-$20 for one! THANK YOU!!!

Caroline @ The Feminist Housewife says:

CONGRATS!!!

I'm completely addicted to my belly band…I MUST make some more!

I find out Wednesday what we are having (I'm 19 weeks). Congrats on the GIRL!!

Ryan and Meagan says:

Definitely NOT helping with my baby hungry disease!!!!!!!!!!! I am dying for baby #2 and this just made me puuush my hubs into the idea a little bit more! I definitely do NOT like the idea of spending $15 on those belly bands. And they were SOOOOOOO tight!!! I hate that. Those look SO comfy.

Goings on at the Glenn's says:

I saw these online the other day and was thinking how I could make my own! Thanks so much! I'll be making quite a few of these myself! I think I am just going to re-purpose some giant maternity t-shirts that I don't wear.

Mrs. B says:

Thinking we were done after two, the hubbs convinced me to give away my maternity clothes. We decided to try to concieve when he returns from his deployment in nine months. This will be the first thing I make if/when I get that positive HPT!!!! Until then, these are going to be gifts to all my preggo friends!

tracyp says:

Love it.. I knew they had to be easy to make but I don't have enough fabric stash to just randomly practice. My pregnancy is about over but I like the idea for the post pregnancy belly. Plus I can't find the one band I paid for….

Thank you SOOOO much for this tutorial! We just found out we're preggers (our first) about two weeks ago. So far, clothes fit pretty well, but my cousin swears by the "belly bands". So glad I'll be able to make so many at a fraction of the cost when pants start to get tight. THANK YOU!!

Delia says:

This is so simple and wonderful! Thanks for the tips on hand stitching. I am trying to work on my patience with that. :)

Melissa says:

I have to say, Where were you when I was pregnant? I payed $15 for one! I bought 2! Dang it. Plus I wore them at night after I had my baby. I could afford to buy those maternity sleep bras. It was great. Thanks for sharing. I will be making tons! Well, when I get pregnant. Good luck with your pregnancy.

Cassie Gadd says:

Ash, Why weren't you pregnant when I was? You just missed me. I bought a maternity band thing that was so tight it hurt to wear it. These are so much smarter. Hope you're doing well! Love you!

Megan King says:

I'm wearing my one and only expensive belly band right now! I am not a great seamstress (really destroyed the baby booty!) but maybe this will give me a confidence booster?! It's totally worth a try because these things are GREAT! THANK YOU!

Eileen Short says:

Perfect! I'm a huge fan of belly bands, but only have one color cause they cost so much!!

Thanks.

Annie says:

Okay! I just had a baby two months ago, and your cute little baby bump is making me a little jealous. How fun. I will be making several of these for next time and for my little sister who are expecting. Love this tutorial.

The Girl Creative says:

OH! A zigzag stitch!!! I was wondering what i was doing wrong! lol Congrats on the new baby. I'm prego too. :)

Dalling Family says:

I love my belly band! Most wonderful article of clothing while prego and just after. Thanks for sharing how to make them!

myblueyez says:

Your tutorial is so much simpler than the one I used! I made several of these while pregnant, saved me sooo much $ and even allowed me to continue wearing some of my cute non-maternity tops!

Alan and Alexis says:

I wish I would have seen this before I bought mine! But the belly bands really are a wonderful thing. I'm excited for you to post more baby stuff since I'll be having my first baby in 4 months! I need some good ideas!

Echo says:

These are great! I am kinda chunky, I always look like I am 6 mo prego, even tho hubby and I are not prego. I love maternity shirt, cause they are cute and comfy, so I am so glad I found this tut, I am going to make a ton so I can wear cute sets without looking as chunky.

Mary says:

Echo, I am 13 weeks pregnant and a very tall, big girl.. so tops on me are short anyways. This tutorial just saved me $30.00. I UpCycled an old t-shirt (men’s 3x) and made a trial version of this. It is great! I can’t wait till I get some new fabric to make some pretty ones! (Note to self- find RIB Knits, they will hide the wide V opening of my pants on the front better! :) )

crafts, crafts and crafts! says:

this is such a great idea!!!! i will def make his since all my jeans don't button any more! i am half way there! :)

cheak out my blog!

tootsiewootsieboutique.blogspot.com

Jessica says:

I am so going to make some of these. I am almost 6 months pregnant and a lot of my regular shirts are starting to get a little short. This would be wonderful to keep my belly from showing!

Crystal says:

perfect timing for this post! Love it – I bought one for my last pregnancy and wore it everyday- but now I'm happy that I can make them lots cheaper to have different colors! Thanks!

the momma (aka Shannon) says:

okay, well scratch that one…:)
    just tried on one of these things today…loved it, but totally thought "I CAN MAKE THIS!!!"
    and figured i'd blog a tutorial about it.
    maybe i'll just follow yours and direct people this-a-way :o)

jennifer says:

This is such a great idea. I wish I had made them for all my friends when they were pregnant.

But I can make one for myself…soon I hope!

Maples Family!! says:

I am sooo glad you posted this! I bought one a few months ago and it came up missing :( which is ok now that I can make my own!! Thank you sooo MUCH

Jill says:

I am right in that in-between stage too, and I was thinking how much I could use a belly band. I thought I would take a regular cami that fits now, cut it in half, and use the bottom to make a belly band. Then sew elastic around the top half under my bust line to make a half-cami. (the expanding chest causes problems with clothes fitting too!) Then my belly can expand in the middle without stretching the cami to its limit and I can just wear whichever half of the it that I need.

Perfect timing for my growing belly!!

Mama Bear says:

I pretty much rocked yoga pants everyday both of my pregnancies. But I might have worn more pants if I had one of these (or four). I'll have to remember this one for my next time around.

Michelle says:

I Only wish it came earlier. I only have two weeks left. Great idea!

Jen~ Lipstick and Laundry says:

I love this tutorial… I wear belly bands but want some new colors because, I don;t like bending over and haveing my undies or worse "crack" show… So though I have been through 4 pregnancies belly bands weren't invented then… So I wear them as "gap insurance" if you will…

Mrs. E says:

I'm pretty sure this is a brilliant idea and one I'd wear even not pregnant. I can't stand skin showing when I reach up or bend down. Thanks for this great idea!

Meredith says:

This tutorial couldn't have come at a better time for me, I'm pregnant with my first and have been eyeing these at the stores. I hate to admit, but I never even thought about making one! Thanks so much for the tutorial. Congratulations on your baby girl. I can't wait for all the baby related tutorials that will be coming our way :-)

Julie says:

When I first saw this I thought "I wish I had seen this four months ago!". But I loved your idea about using them for nursing as well! I'm having our little girl in December and this idea is perfect! Thanks for sharing!

Jami says:

I am due Feb 25! This is a perfect project for me, except that I have already bought a belly band, for $20 or so… and you know what? It feels too tight. So I'm gonna make my own, thanks to you :D

Sparrow's says:

I have had 4 kids & I am not planning on having any more, but I am going to make these because I love the layered look but I hate wearing two shirts. I love this! You don't have to be pregnant to enjoy these. Thank you!

Mrs D says:

i made a very similar band, just one layer, found the double layer a bit tight, for my current pregnancy and it's been a life saver. Much more comfortable. And much easier than trying to find a long cami.

Tari says:

Thank you!!! I'll keep this in mind for the future! (And cute belly pictures by the way!)

Christy, Home-Mom.com says:

yippee, but now that I'm not going to be preggo much longer can't get too excited about mat tutorials LOL. This is great though! why spend all that money when you can make your one belly hiders ;)

barneyn says:

first off that little dress was soo so darling! second- these bands are perfect third- your little bump is soo cute! makes me want to have another baby!!

Aubrey says:

Now we're talkin'! I've been needing some of these for months!

Jess and Jen says:

Oh, I wish you'd posted this a few months ago. I am due in a month and haven't wanted to spend that much money on buying one. I never thought about making one! I am still going to make one now…and am excite to use it after pregnancy too!

AmyGale says:

Oh my gosh! Thank you!! I have just hit the point in pregnacy where my pants just won't stay buttoned an zipped up! So this is perfect timing for me! And your tutorials make everything so easy because of the step-by-step pictures! And I lot the idea of using it to help keep covered while nursing! Heaven bless you!! :)
    P.S. On the post where you were leaving things in odd places, I read the first sentence and immediatly knew that you must be going through the same thing as me! A typical pregnancy! Congrats and I wish you and baby well!

Martha anne says:

Yay!! so happy you posted about these! I have a pregnant sister and I have her name for christmas, awesome idea!

Robyn says:

Perfect timing! I was seriously about to leave the house to buy a Bella Band, and now I think I'll just go to the fabric store. Thank you!

Chance and Beth says:

Yay! I am so happy to preggo at the same time as you! I know you'll have more fabulous mommy/baby ideas. (I only wish you were having a boy, too!) I guess I'll have to look through the archives to finde great boy stuff! Congrats!

Landon and Kylie says:

Thank you!! I am excited to try this out…now to find some knit…I'm only 8 weeks, so I have some time!

Lisa Hill says:

This is even great for non-preggos! it helps with the layered look without all the bulk!

Sharon Posey says:

I agree with Lisa Hill.

I was going to say that I would love a few of these to cover up my belly from shirts that are a little too short and show off a tummy that I am no longer proud of since having a baby of my own.

Joanna says:

I'm so happy for you!
    My mom is preggers too.
    It's a girl, Sarah Gwen.
    Cool tutorial.

Shiree says:

Too bad my baby was born 5 weeks ago! This would have been so nice…

Susan Krauss says:

While I am not pregnant and have never been, I recently discovered that I found a use for them, as well. I don't care for low rise jeans but since there are so many of them on the market, I've had to buy some. I use the maternity bands to cover the area of skin that would otherwise be flashed when I bent over or raised my arms over my head! The work wonderfully in this capacity. I've made my own by cutting a few older t-shirts down to size! No sewing required!

Steph says:

Oh, I loved my Tummy Sleeve when I was pregnant, but this is much much cheaper. Thank you!

Cookie says:

WoW so many great comments about this. This came just in time as I am expecting too and will soon need to get me some of these. I have a black one but would be nice to have a few! Can't wait to see what other little things you come up with!

Emily Elizabeth says:

Super great tutorial. I'll have to save this one for next time around!

Jody and Amy says:

Love it!

I also wear them when I am nursing so I have coverage on my belly when I have to pull my shirt up. Okay, I wear them ALL THE TIME! Even when I am not pregnant or nursing, I wear them. I have made several out of different fabrics (spandex, lycra, cotton) and you can also put stretchy lace across the bottom for a fun look.

Maria says:

Awesome tutorial-thanks! We are trying really hard to conceive baby #2, and when it finally happens, I will reward myself with making some of these! Maybe even sooner, because I am 5' 91/2" and have a long torso,and have to buy long shirts or wear a long tank/cami undersneath so they are long enough, and this would solve that problem! I also hate showing extra skin when bending down or raising arms!

Ali says:

FABULOUS! Just what I need to make! Thank you for doing all the homework for me!

Courtney says:

I've been looking for a good tutorial (with pictures of course!) for these since I got pregnant myself! Thanks so much! I do have a question though – since I'm a plus sized gal, most standard belly measurements don't work for me, so I'm wondering how you got to your 35 inch band. Did you measure your belly and subtract/add a certain amount, or just guestimate, or what? Thanks!

Hanna says:

Thank you-Thank you- Thank you. I am now 23 1/2 weeks pregnant with our third and look to be 8 months! My only (and favorite maternity jeans always leave me trying to either pull them up or pull my shirt down! A SOLUTION! and a cute one too!!! Thanks for the motivation! It took me all of 15 minutes to solve this annoying problem!!!! THANK YOU! and Congrats!

Angie says:

The belly band is fantastic, but can I just say how darn cute your little belly is? :) I miss having a pregnant belly!

Brittany says:

I cannot tell you how excited I am about this tutorial!! I had a belly band in my last pregnancy and love love LOVED it! But, only had one to save some money. Now, I can make a bunch! Thank you so much!!! I'm featuring this idea on my blog sometime soon. :)

Amnah says:

Umm, hello!! Totally adding this to my "ideas to try" file. Of course I'll have to get pregnant before this is of any use to me. Thanks for sharing!

The Noalls says:

Do you know, one of the first things I thought when you made the big announcement was, "Ooh, maybe she'll show us how to make some good, cheap maternity clothes!" Thanks for not disappointing and saving us money! :) (And by the way, I am indeed the Kristina Noall who has emailed you a couple times. Forgot to tell you that after you asked. :))

Michelle Kynaston says:

thanks, that is very timely information! I'm due February 4th. =) And I'll definitely use it while nursing too – treat idea!

Mary says:

I so could have used this last winter when I was pregnant with the twins! I had to start wearing my hubby's shirts b/c not even maternity shirts were long enough!

Oh my gosh I love it!!! I will be trying this one when I get prego again for sure!

Mychel says:

Wow, thank you! We overspend so much on those things at the store, for real. Thanks for the tutorial, I can't wait to make one when I'm preggo again :)

What a wonderful idea! I know so many people that will love it too!

Shannon says:

These are the opposite of half tees – have you seen those? Great idea! I just wish I'd seen such an easy tutorial about 6 months ago, my baby is 6 weeks old and I would have loved a few of these to extend my wardrobe (pun intended!)Your site is awesome, there are so many things on my someday-to-do list. Thanks for the inspiration!

Jen says:

This is cool, we are trying for baby #4 I love my Bella bands, now I can make some when we get pregnant again. I actually just used your tutorial to make on of those neck/cuff scarves for my husband while he went hunting this weekend. I got carried away and made some for his brother and our dads :).

Katie says:

pretty stinking cool….. i might need some more instructions oneday but i like the idea. mght can figure it out on my own once i get going. very smart… can also use as a clevage cover when you are not preggo and such by maybe just taking it in a little?

Bree says:

I remember reading this back when you first posted & I wasn't pregnant yet. Little did I know that only two months later I'd find myself needing these! I'm so glad I was able to find it again & can't wait to pick up some knit so I can make my own.

Home's Jewels says:

Hi there – I just wanted to let you know that I added this pattern linking back to your website at the new online sewing community: mysewingcircle.com

Thank you so much for the great tutorial!
    ~jewel

Susanna says:

Wow thank you! I have never read your blog before, but I must say I'm impressed. Not only do you make these awesome things but you blog about it to, way to be on top of things mama =) Do you have any tips on altering Maternity pants? I have to low rise band under the tummy type of pants and never knew there was a better option. Then I tried the roll down type band at the top and all I can say is Heaven, I never knew pants could be so comfy. I'd like to change the tops to all of my maternity pants to a roll down band.

Made by Mau says:

Love this idea.. so am I seeing correctly.. the finished width is 10"?.. I got some stretchy rib today and it was already in a tube. so I don't have to sew the length around the belly which is a big plus, I only have to do the upper and lower hem. Thanks for the tutorial, My daughter in law will love these.

When it says make sure that the stretch goes width wise how can we be sure that it is going the right direction?

Anonymous…..when you hold the maternity band in your hands on the sides of the band, you should be able to pull it from either direction and should be able to stretch. That way it will stretch over a pregnant belly and fit a bit snug. Most times with a knit, it will have more of a stretch in one direction than the other, and in this case, you want the stretch going from side to side. Does that help?

Made by Mau……the finished height is about 10 inches tall. The width depends on how wide you need it, depending on your size. But you could also make it taller or shorter than 10 inches too. That's just what I did. Good luck!

Sarah Goddard says:

your tutorials are always soo great!!! definitely gonna be working on a few of these in the next few weeks for my growing belly!!!

cecimaginary says:

I just made mine referring to ur tutorial! thanks for sharing :)
    Let's exchange links !

Erin says:

Oooooh, I just bought one of these at Motherhood. But I'm definitely going to use your tutorial to make a few more. I am 5'11 too and I know what you mean about those camis that used to be long enough not covering up the baby bump anymore! Thanks :)

forspoon says:

I find this tutorial great but unfortunately I can't see the pictures showing how to make the band. Is it possible to get them in another format? Thanks a lot!

Jenny Richins says:

Thank you. I am so happy you created a tutorial for this great maternity item. I have been looking for something and i just don’t want to fork out $20 for one band. Thanks so much. I think I will be running to the fabric store very soon.

Casey says:

Thank you for this tutorial. I made one this weekend and it turned out good. I do have a question though. My zig zag stitch is never stretchy enough, what settings do you put yours on? I have a very basic machine. But I still love it and I linked to you from my blog: http://www.simplejoycrafting.blogspot.com.

Kris says:

Thanks so much!!! I made some of these for my daughter and she LOVES them!!! Wish I had these back in the day when I was expecting.

Misty says:

Just made one and plan on making more. This will be my life saver during this pregnancy! I’m only 7wks and already feel like I’m showing.

Pickledweasel says:

Thanks so much for this tutorial. I am 39 weeks pregnant and have spent a few days trying to justify spending what feels like too much money on some breastfeeding tops. Now I don’t have too! I’m just going to make lots of these, but maybe a little deeper than your original measurements, then I won’t have to expose my flabby post pregnancy tummy to freezing temperatures everytime I feed!

Does anyone know if I need a serger if i do this with a regular sewing machine on spandex? Or will a regular zigzag stitch work just fine? :)

dawn says:

OMG! These are sooo great!! i am 6 weeks pregnant with my 3rd i have gotten so big so fast and can no longer button my pants they are like 4 inches from closing. I have not wanted to buy maternity clothes b/c of the cost and i will out grow them quickly. I thought i would try this because, i have been going to my closet in almost tears, nothing fits but, my pj’s. so instead of purchasing cloth i took some of my shirts that were too short on me and cut them all the way across right under the arms. i have one on now and absolutely love it. i am still in my regular clothes with my protruding stomach thanks so much for this idea!!!

Ell says:

Great idea! It would have been great during pregnancy, but as a non-pregnant person with a long upper body, I can see several of these in my future too! My shirts are always too short, and they pull up too high. Now I can’t figure out why I never thought of this before!

abi hunter says:

I love these! im not pregnant but my tops are always too short so i made a non pregnant version!
    (terrible) photos of my attempt here http://abimakes.blogspot.com/2012/01/cami-band-made.html
    definitely making some more :)

Caitlin says:

Why did I never think of making one of these? I’m on my 3rd pregnancy and cannot find my purchased one ANYWHERE! I just made on in like half an hour (minus the hand stitching) and am pumped to make more! I’m sure they’ll go way faster now that I have it down. THANK YOU!

Teresa says:

I had an epiphany yesterday with making my own maternity jeans…and not surprised that there was a web site on this same idea! This is so much better than using a belly band too! Thanks for taking time to put up a tutorial!

dawn says:

Ashley,
    I am a moderator of a forum board. It is a board for folks with ostomies. Of fairly significant help to post surgical patients is getting back to a normal fashion statement. An item like this helps many patients who have less than ideal placement of their stoma, hence their medical appliance. I am going to post a link to your pattern if it is acceptable to you. It would be very helpful. If you email me, I will be happy to give you the link so that you can see the site. Thanks for your consideration.

dawn

Of course Dawn, go right ahead! And I love that you realized that these would be perfect for ostomy patients too. Love it!

-Ashley

Amanda says:

I am so making a bunch of these. I’m apple shaped (i.e all my extra weight is in my stomach) and often I buy cute shirts in my size that end up being just a bit too short. And it’s so awkward going around pulling your shirt down all day lest your fat tummy get exposed. Thank you for the tutorial!!

Jess says:

My mother-in-law & I just sewed one of these to try it out. Expecting our 5th, it’s very important to be frugal. Only issue that comes up for me is I can’t do much “mom” stuff without my pants sliding down. So the bending over to pick up toys, etc. isn’t teaming well with this band right now. I’m enjoying the comfort of the jersey knit fabric but wondering if there’s a reason those big name designers use uncomfortable & tight material to make theirs? Anybody else having this same issue? Maybe a suggestion for improving this handmade style? Thx!

Meli says:

I just made 2 of them, both failures! I bought 4-way stretch fabric, but they are both too small, barely able to pull them over my un-pregnant shoulders (making them for my daughter).
    I cut 20″ wide X 35″ long, then folded in half lengthwise so that have a 10″ X 35″ length to sew on the long side.

Don’t know what I am doing wrong, but the finished pictures look bigger than what mine turn out. What are the finished dimensions? Thanks!

Sharon says:

Made these and love them! I have a “real” belly band and it fits so well I used it for a template of sorts too, just to keep mine in check, though I followed your steps. I had some red knit fabric leftover and it wasn’t enough to fold in half and be wide enough, so I just hemmed both edges and sewed the ends together and it worked great too.

Paulo Chen says:

Dear Sir/Lady

How are you?
    This is Paulo Chen sale manager from Sale dept of Spark in China.

We are professional manufacturer kinds of INCONTINENCE PANTS & MATERNITY BELLY BAND AND DISPOSABLE MESH PANTS.

We have manufactured Incontinence and Maternity products and Anti embolism stocking and compression stock:
    Maternity items:
    1).Maternity Belly band,
    2).Post support Maternity shaper,
    3).Maternity briefs,
    4).Maternity mesh pants.
    5).Maternity nursing bra.

Incontinence items:
    1).Reusable mesh pants,
    2).Reusable and Washable incontinence pants.
    3). Seamless fixation pants,
    4). Incontinence Pouch briefs,
    5).Adult incontinence stretchable pants.
    6).AIO Diapers.
    7).Reusable incontinence pants with pads

Stockings:
    1). Anti embolism stocking.
    2). Compression stocking.

Please check our website and choose which models you are interest.

Paulo Chen
    Spark Industry Ltd

Trisha says:

This is great! Just what my daughter needs. I’m making some for her, and I pinned your page. Thanks for sharing!!

online forms says:

building element as an alternative. He knew the system well enough to not pay
    many of his suppliers and sub-contractors, then would cover it up
    up by handing out fake lien releases to make it look like they were
    paid. Therefore it’s better to always do the intelligent point and take these tips.

You may notice that the concept of compensation plan may
    seem to be common in the networking industry.
    It’s a good idea to have separate email promotions for prospects and customers, too, because you typically need to send different information to the different groups. Decide now because if you are a weight lifter, you will not build the chest that you are looking for.

Now, there are hundreds of programs available ranging from free to hundreds of
    dollars, including everything from a bare bones setup to
    an all inclusive image editing suit. You might get one or more
    benefits of outline designer along with it is the ideal means to unleash the capacities.
    Therefore it’s better to always do the intelligent point and take these tips.

online forms says:

Those that cannot apply for this kind of card or that would prefer a different solution could consider a prepaid card that comes with a credit building element as an alternative.
    For professional web site builders extra complex laptop
    software program for net design is needed. The specific combination of
    reps, sets, exercises, and weight depends upon the desires of the body builder.

Now, there are hundreds of programs available ranging
    from free to hundreds of dollars, including everything from a bare bones setup to an all
    inclusive image editing suit. Rather, they’re designed to help spark possibilities in your own mind. If a picture is worth a thousand words then you can just image how much you will absorb by browsing this site.

Kelsey says:

I’m not even pregnant but I think I’m gonna try this! I have a “mother’s apron” belly and jeans that fit my waist are extremely baggy in the leg but pants that fit my leg are too small. Can’t wait to get sewing!

Carol says:

Just found out that both my daughters are pregnant at the same time. They are due a day apart. I sew so I will be making belly bands for both of them. I bought some stretchy tank tops for $3 a piece at Wal-mart and am going to experiment with those to make the bands. Should be fairly easy and much cheaper. Thanks for the instructions.