A bit of nostalgia and some delicious Peach Pie

I know it’s the end of October and most people can’t find fresh peaches anymore.  But I live in Georgia……and apparently, peaches are in season year round here.  Ha.

But I was at the grocery store this past weekend and came across a whole pile of locally grown peaches…..all plump and full of color.  I just couldn’t resist.  And the ironic thing, is that I actually looked for delicious local peaches all summer and couldn’t really find any that looked so perfect and plump as the crop I found this late in October.

You see, I have a thing for perfect peaches.

They must have plenty of peach-y aroma, be soft yet firm, have minimal fuzz, and offer a good amount of juice.  Mmmmm.

But if I bite into it and my mouth is offended by any of that meal-y/grainy texture….forget it, I’m through.
I guess growing up on a 10 acre plot of land in southern AZ, with a little mini orchard off to one side, doesn’t help the peach snobbery.  My father was not a farmer by profession, but man, he loved his hobby of producing fruit.  Some of my most favorite memories as a child were climbing those cherry/peach/plum/apricot/pear trees, trying to shoo the birds away from stealing the tender fruit first, as I tried to fill my shirt and pockets with everything I could reach.
I remember back in that memory of mine, that some years we had plenty of fruit to eat, can, and share with the neighbors.  Other years, the trees were barren.  I always hated those years.  But there were times when those peach trees were so full of fruit that the branches weren’t strong enough to hold it all.  (And then we were all tasked to the kitchen to peel, slice, and stuff those peaches into Mason jars for canning.)

Ah, those were the years.  I could pick the very best sun-ripened peaches to eat, right from the tree.

Back to the present.  Seeing those peaches at the store last weekend reminded me of all those years of picking/eating peaches as a little girl.  Mmmmm.

And one of my favorite things that my mom would use those peaches for…
Peach pie.

Fresh and flavorful peaches turned into a true piece of heaven.  Oh, the nostalgia.

So yesterday, while my little monkeys were napping, I got right work……peeling and slicing those juicy peaches.
Then I poured a nice layer of them into an already baked  pie shell.
(The crust may look a little off because it’s gluten free.  My favorite gluten free pie crust recipe comes from this cookbook here.)
Then I mashed up a few more peaches and placed them in a medium saucepan,
Then I added some sugar, water, and cornstarch and cooked the mixture over medium heat until it boiled.
Then I removed it from the heat, added a bit of butter and a tad of almond extract…….and then poured the mixture over the sliced peaches in the pie shell.
Then I let it chill in the fridge for a while.  Well, as long as I could let it.
(But keep in mind that it is much better after it’s completely chilled.)

All perfect and delicious and ready to eat.

Mmmmm……just like I remembered it.
I couldn’t keep my fork out of this stuff.
(And yeah, maybe that’s all I had for dinner last night.)

As I was sampling and taking pictures, the little ones woke up from their nap/quiet time, and realized I was snacking without them.
And since the weather is now extremely pleasant here in Georgia, we flung a blanket out on the back lawn, and all enjoyed a little peach pie picnic.

It may have spoiled their dinner…..but mmmmm, it was so worth it.
Like mother like son/daughter.
Get it into that mouth as quickly as possible.
Much better that way.

Thanks for enduring that little bit of nostalgia with me.
Sometimes flavors and sights trigger the most powerful memories.
I love it when that happens.
If you’re interested, here’s the recipe that my mom always used.
(And I asked her where she got this and she told me it came from a lady at some conference, long before I was even born.  So thank you conference lady!)

Comments

28 Responses to “A bit of nostalgia and some delicious Peach Pie”
    Emily says:

Delish! What cute kids you have!

I had some success with blanching peaches. As long as they were ripe enough when I started and got nice and cold before I tried to remove the skins, most of the skins came off without a peeler.

Stephanie says:

Oh Ashley, my mouth is watering looking at your pie! I can't believe you found juicy peaches this time of year, and then to make a pie as well. You are making me hungry.

Özlem Mercan says:

Ohhh harika çok güzel gözüküyor.

Me salen alas (si me paras los pies...) says:

Each day one sorprise!!!
    What blog so creative!! Congratulations
    I like so much. Very original
    Kisses
    NATALIA

Stephanie says:

Very yummy looking! Your children are adorable!

Snapshotsofhappiness says:

Oh that look delicious! I don't think I have ever had peach pie. I just might have to change that soon. :P

crafts, crafts and crafts! says:

hmmmmmm this looks so yummy!!! i can't wait too try it!

Tonya says:

Hey, that's the SAME recipe I got from my grandma peach pie! It's even called SUPER peach pie! How funny is that? Now I need some, but being as it just snowed here in northern Utah, my chances of finding fresh peaches are slim. :(

Rockstargirlz says:

MMMM, Sounds delish. Thanks for sharing.
    Teresa

Annie says:

Peach pie is my favorite. I grew up in a little orchard/farming community and I've got the snobbish-must-be-perfect fruit attitude as well. Delish! It's the best for breakfast.

Martha anne says:

Oh my! That looks so good I can't even stand it! I really want to make this now! Thanks for the reciple!

Lori Thompson says:

YUMMY! My mouth was watering as I read this post!
    THANKS!

Toby & Samm + Ben, Addie, Peytie says:

Oh my goodness, Ashley! Ellie and Connor are SSSSOOOO big! I can't believe it! You're amazing, as always!

Monique says:

Ahhhh! You are in GA???!!!!??? I live in GA!!!! I LOVE your blog!!! I was going to say "I love you" but thought that might totally come out creepy. HA! I will not admit that the idea of jumping up and down in happiness just ran through my head. Then I realized something… I am an adult, a mom, a wife… and those <- people, definitely do not get excited because a blog they follow is based in GA. They absolutely do not. :)
    PS I had the SAME issues with peaches this summer, it was very disappointing. The apples though so far this year, not a disappointment at all.

suzieQ says:

Oh, girl, if I could reach into my computer, I would be sharing a piece of that lovely pie with you and your adorable children. Your little guy is doing what I would be doing, helping that piece go into his mouth and NOT falling on his clothes, or worse, onto the ground. There is nothing like a perfect peach. Lucky you…How about in August, I send some Maine blueberries to you and you send up some of those beautiful Georgia peaches?

The Wade Family says:

I thought I was a little strange too- until I read Monique's thoughts! I was quite excited that you are in GA as well! haha! Glad to know there's someone else like me out there!

Delia says:

You are a tremendous person. :) THis looks delish!

Crystal says:

I want to know what kind of camera you have. Your photos are always so perfect! Your adorable children can only help that process. And your pie looks divine!

Kristen @ ladybug-blessings.com says:

that looks delicious!

sjones says:

I'm curious why you made a gluten free crust? For health reasons I am considering going gluten free and enjoy hearing others reasons why they are as well!

Alaina says:

OH MY GOODNESS! That looks incredibly yummy! Wish I could have been there for a taste test.

PDCScarbroughpage says:

Ashley- I'm drooling. Oh man, think I might be able to find some of those peaches now that I'm hear in S.C. and not Idaho? WHERE did you get that pie pan- I LOVE IT! I love! I love it! I seriously need one of those before Thanksgiving so please dish about the dish! nedabd

nedabd –

You're in S.C.? So close to me! So yes, you may still find some delicious peaches too. And the dish……I got it at WalMart. It's a Paula Dean dish. Anyway, good luck!

Liltdanh says:

I need to travel to ur part of ga from my part o ga cause my peaches around here don't look anywhere as nice as urs do and prolly dint taste as good either.

Hilda Quintanilla says:

LOVE your newly found site! Is there a way to print just the recipe?

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. [...] wait, you see some other sort of pie on the kiddos’ plates?  Yeah, that’s some juicy Peach Pie (that I shared back when we lived in Georgia).  It has also been a family favorite for almost 50 [...]