Sippy Cup Leash: Re-visited and Improved

Remember when I made the sippy cup leash over a year ago, here?

Well, it needed some improvements.

Before moving across the country last winter, I realized that the sippy cup leash needed an upgrade.  The velcro on the old one was finicky and didn’t stick as well after a while…….especially if the sippy cup was completely full and heavy.  (Sorry if you made one and had the same trouble…)

Anyway, I created a new one for our long trip cross-country 9 months ago, eliminating the task of retrieving dropped/tossed sippy cups from little hands back in their car seats.  And there the leashes have stayed.  Permanently.

And I never shared my newest upgrade.  Until now.

It hasn’t been a secret, I just kept forgetting to share.

I now make them with elastic.  And with this style of sippy cup (from Gerber, found at Walmart) the elastic keeps them perfectly in place.

And oops, if the sippies take a tumble, they won’t go far.

And they attach simply to any sort of bar or strap…..by simply pulling the elastic portion through the loop at the other end.

Then pull tight to secure the sippy cup leash in place.

Our leashes spend most of the time in the car, attached to the car seats.
Then I just remove the sippy cups and wash them as needed.  The kiddos love having water in the car anytime they want it.  Works for us.

***If you’re concerned with the length of these Sippy Cup Leashes posing a choking hazard, keep the length short enough to not wrap around a neck but long enough to still reach the child’s mouth.

(I just made these new ones to show the actual process but the previous ones spent every day attached to car seats for the past 9 months.  And were still working great.)

Would you like to revamp yours?
Or create some for the first time?

I started with a piece of ribbon that was 28 inches and a piece of sturdy elastic that was 9 inches.

Then I heat sealed the ends of the ribbon and elastic.  Don’t hold it on there long enough to catch fire…..only long enough to melt the edges and keep them from fraying.

Then measure how much of an elastic loop you’ll need to keep the cup securely in place but also to be able to still slip the cup in and out of the loop.  I needed a loop that was about 6 inches around so I pinched my fingers there………

…….then attached it to one end of the ribbon, overlapping about 1 1/2 inches.  I made several seams to secure the elastic to the ribbon.

At the other end of the ribbon, I tucked under the end about a 1/4 inch, then folded it over 3 1/2 inches….creating a loop.  Again, I made several seams to secure the loop into place.

Then I slid the leash right onto the sippy cup.

Perfect fit.

And really, a much better version than the last one.

Give it a try.

**Alteration for different sippy cup shape:

My sippy cups work great for these elastic style of sippy cup leashes.  If your sippy cups are straight and not contoured, try adding small pieces shelf lining like I did with the last sippy cup leash version, found here.  But place little pieces of the shelf liner along the inside of the elastic loop (before sewing it into a loop) about every inch.  The tackiness of the shelf liner, along with the tightness of the elastic, should keep the sippy cup leash in place……even on straight sippy cups.  This technique just wasn’t necessary for mine.

Good luck!

Comments

79 Responses to “Sippy Cup Leash: Re-visited and Improved”
    Beth @ Sand To Pearl says:

Oh, I love this! My first sippy cup leash (done years ago) I actually used snaps. Which were nice, but they just don't stand the test of time (except the professional ones, which I had NO idea about at the time) This is so much nicer! I might have to put one together today, then Mr. Man can't throw his sippy down on the car floor to get lost anymore.

Monster's Mommy says:

I love this! All my sippy cups have weird handles….I'll have to see how I can maneuver around those and if it will work. I hope so! :)

Kebeni says:

wow! I wish you had written this 7 years ago LOL

McKell + Garrett Hartle says:

Can't wait to make one. Thanks for the idea

Amy Pinney says:

I used elastic on the one I made when you originally posted the tutorial :)) It's been great!

Marilyn says:

These are great!!! Although I don't think I would attach them to the car seat for safety reasons. But it'll work great for the stroller!

Cyndi loves to stitch says:

love it!! unfortunately we're about out of sippyville, but will make some for the next babyshower or graandchild.(if ever?)

Mormishmom says:

I definitely need to make SEVERAL of these!

becca says:

Can I just say how brilliantly creative you are! I have been lurking for several months now and I check this site every day. Funny thing was I was in the dentist's office the other day talking to the hygenist and somehow got talking about blogs. She said her niece had a blog, "Make it and Love it." "Oh my gosh! That's my favorite!" I said. Crazy small world. Keep up the awesomeness.

i'm with everyone else–your timing is a tad late! ha ha. our kids actually lost BOTH sippy cups this week…the same ones you have pictured! :) needless to say, i'll be making some of these when i buy new cups. ha ha!

bethanndodd says:

LOVE it!! Just made one for the little boy I watch. I am positive his Mommy will LOVE it too! Thanks so much!!

Becky says:

I think I love you Ashley! Your blog is my new favorite "go to" site!

Thanks for sharing!

ificould says:

How amazing is this??? Seriously, can't believe I haven't thought of this before. Love this so much, I posted a link: http://ificould-ificould.blogspot.com/2010/09/sippy-cup-leash.html

Thanks for sharing!
    Missy

anhesty says:

omg i am so making this for my nephew! thanks for sharing!

Jamie says:

This is one of those slap yourself on the face "DUH" type of moments. Why didn't I think of this before we lost so many sippy cups? My girl never had this problem, but my boy takes a drink then chucks his cup every time no matter where we are (car, dinner table, stroller, etc). Drives me bananas. I'm making a bunch right now! Thank you!

Jill says:

very helpful! Thanks!

Stacy says:

BRILLANT!! I looked for a device like this about a year ago and never could find anything I liked. I never occured to me to make one. I love it!

Christy, Home-Mom.com says:

so simple but so super! thanks for the tute!

The Autocrat: Haley says:

OMG! Love this idea! All of my friends are starting to have babies, so this will be great!

Delia says:

Very very cool. Love this idea. Thank you for re-posting it!

Lori Thompson says:

GREAT idea! Thanks for all the work you do on this GREAT blog! LOve it!!

~Kimberly says:

Brilliant! I am ALWAYS having to pick up sippy cups while on a walk, or shopping. I'm making one tomorrow!

Tiffany says:

This is genius. GENIUS! Love it.

Isn't this a safety hazard? The baby could get it wrapped around his/her neck. Something to think about.

Marcia Gullo says:

Fine site. Just missing a translator, I'm from Brazil and do not understand English.
    Grata.

Marcia Gullo

The Noalls says:

I gotta say, I made a version of your last one and was frustrated with it, and I love this new version. Very good, simple idea!

Vale says:

Great idea, thanks! I have made these sippy cup elastics and attached to the diaper bag – no more searching the bottom of the bag for a cup!

Bonnie says:

So clever, thanks for sharring…I wonder if I could rig it in the car some how too…my son is always dropping it in the car where I cant get it.

Marianne says:

I just made 2 for my daughter. I am an extremely novice sewer so it took me 45 minutes to make 2 but at least I wont have any more curdled milk sippy cups lurking under my car seats! Thanks!

The Noalls says:

Me again! I just made two of these. Lol, and even with the very same green ribbon, since I had it and it was my only ribbon that worked for a boy…anyway, my needle seemed to have a hard time with the rubber in the elastic, and the thread on the bottom side bunched and tangled and turned out awful-looking. The leashes are still usable, but I was just wondering if you could tell me how to get around that, for my own curiosity? Thanks! And I can't wait to see what costume you're cooking up for your little guy!

The Noalls –

Bummer that it's getting all jammed up. Sometimes jamming up like that can be tension or how the machine was threaded…..but also, sometimes if I increase the stitch length, it helps with that problem. So try all of those ideas and see if it helps. hopefully it's just an easy fix.

Good luck!

di says:

Okay, this is too clever. It's going on my "make me now!" list! Thanks for sharing this with us….I know it's going to be a life-saver for me!

Michelle says:

Thank you so much for this tutorial! I loved it so much I made 5 so that I will be sure to have one everywhere! Thank you so much for blessing so many people's lives for sharing your talents.

Kaitlin says:

Hi Ashley! I just love your site! I wanted to share a tip with you that I use frequently. It started with the non-slip grip for the bows I make for my daughter, but now i use it for practically everything.

It's SILICONE! You can buy it at most pet stores (it's used for sealing fish tanks). I used it for these sippy cup leashes by putting thin lines of the silicone about 3/4 of an inch apart on the elastic and letting it completely dry before attaching it to the ribbon. the silone-stripped edge goes in toward the cup. VOILA, no slip grip!

What a great tip Kaitlin……I didn't know they sold such a thing. Perfect idea. Especially for the sippy cups without the contoured shape.

The Paynes says:

For those worried about strangulation, I just made mine a lot shorter so baby couldn't wrap it around his neck. Still works great especially for my 5th baby, he loves to throw his cup!

mumotwo says:

I maade one of these and was very pleased with how it worked out (I'm not very good a t sewing so it was a great easy project). I was a little concerned about but or big sister choking themselves/each other with the ribbon so I attached it to the grab rail/bar above the door and made it just long enough for the cup to be used easily. I also wrapped one around the tummy of bub's favourite toy, very handy today when she dropped several times on the long drive home from Grandpa's. THANKS for the idea.

Christina says:

Love this idea!! I made two today but I am having troubles with the sewing…my bobbin thread is getting all bunched up and messy on the underside both when I attach the elastic and make the loop. I am using a realllly old machine and tinkered with different tensions, stitch lengths, zig zags, straight stitch etc…nothing seems to help. Any tips??? Thanks!

Love the idea but do agree common sense
      Is need. As to the problem with sewing the elastic the needle needs to be an special needle just for sewing elastic , or try a needle for knits.

Jessica says:

i did it! i don't sew much and am still learning my machine. i only had to call my mom (she lives 12 hours away) once to find out what i was doing wrong! (tension setting)

Christina….I was going to say tension but since you've tried that already, I'm not sure.

Hmmmm….since it's so thick, maybe it's just having a hard time getting started. Try starting in the middle and then sew to the end. Then turn it around, start in the middle again and sew to the other side. Also, try using a bigger stitch length.

Let me know if that works for you.

gilchrist says:

I just made this using hot glue instead of sewing since my sewing machine stopped working. We are moving cross country in a couple of months so hopefully it works.

Melanie says:

I just made a few of these for my kiddos. I used webbing and put snaps on both ends. This made them really versitile for me. I can use a toy loop to hook it in the stroller at one end, and can either snap it around the handle of a sippy or snack trap, or snap ot around a piece of elastic or a rubbery "cause" bracelet to use on cups without handles.

Julianne Pavey says:

I just made these with a different purpose. I made one for my son's teething giraffe so that it doesn't get lost again. I also made one as a leash for my daughter's toy dog. She loves it! Thanks for the super simple instructions!!

Monica says:

Thank you for this tutorial! I bookmarked it long ago and finally made one. I gave it as part of a baby gift and just recently blogged about it as well and linked back to your instructions. I am thinking about making these for anyone having a baby now! Thanks again!

Julie says:

I saved this forever ago and finally got around to making it today. I've had the elastic for months! Of course, it only took a few minutes to make so I'm not sure why I didn't do it sooner. After I finished I decided I needed a Mommy handle, did a search on my google reader and you popped up again. That's next on my to-do list (and even better, no fabric/supplies to buy). Thanks for sharing your wonderful tutorials!!!

alicia says:

Awesome idea…made it in a few minutes! Wish I had this for my first two kids.

Completely revolutionary! Just yesterday while cleaning out the car I found not one, not two, but FIVE lost sippy cups in my car! Muchas Gracias!

EmilyAnna says:

I just shared this on my blog today. Wonderful idea!

jamie says:

I just made one myself….hope it works! My daughter dropping her cup on the floor is a COMMON problem at my house! :)

Shelli says:

It is a great idea, but should be shorter than the width around your child’s neck, and should NEVER be attached to car seat straps, as it could interfere with their functionality.

Beth says:

Good idea in theory. However, i have to agree with the few other ladies that this is VERY unsafe! This can become tangled around your young child’s neck and should NEVER be put on a car seat. What if you were driving, your child becomes entangled.. the time from you needing to stop your car to help your child could have a grim outcome. They make pacifier straps NO LONGER then 8inches for this very reason. I believe if you make this, shorten the length to no longer then 8″ and never attach to your child’s car seat.

-Mother of 2

celia says:

Just made 4 to send to my loved ones with sippy cup aged little ones :) so easy and hopefully will really be a big help!

Eva says:

This is cute but it is NOT safe. If you were in a car accident there is a very good chance that the sippy would hurt your child.

Emilie says:

Cute, but I worry that it is a strangulation hazard. The leash could easily get wrapped around a baby or toddler’s neck. I agree with the comment that suggested making the leash no longer than 8 inches.

Linda says:

After having my great grandaughter (1 yr old) visiting this past week I can see where one of these would be great to have on hand. Going to make a couple for my granddaughter to use. Did not have sippy cups when my kids were babies/toddlers. Or if they did we could not afford the luxury of having them LOL.

HA says:

I see so many people with your product :(

Heather says:

As I read more of this, and see more comments protesting this item, I get more upset. Can not believe you haven’t taken this tutorial down yet or that moms are still reposting it. There is nothing like this sold in stores today because it’s unsafe. Horrifying to think of a mom driving down the road, glancing in her rear-view mirror and seeing her panicked purple-faced darling unable to breathe. Because of your cute craft idea. I wouldn’t leave a toddler unattended with a plastic bag, nor would I use this in any situation where I might be distracted. If you’re driving a car, you should definitely be distracted from your child and paying more attention on the road ahead. Please take this down before something tragic happens.

michelle says:

Just made 2 of these today! They turned out great! As far as safety, there are a lot of other places to use these besides carseats, such as strollers and highchairs. Also as parents I think we all know to use common sense. I will not use this in the car for my 14 month old, but it will be wonderful in the car for my 4 1/2 year old who knows not to wrap things around her neck but still manages to drop her cup every 5 seconds. And if I do use it for my toddler, I can attach it somewhere to adjust the length so he can still get his cup but not pose a strangulation risk.

Lindsey says:

Thanks for your DIY! I did a blog post based on your DIY and linked your blog post to mine!

I made this, but used it for my child’s car headphones that were constantly ending up on the floor.
    I attached it to his carseat and now they are always available for watching movies in the car.
    Thanks for the great tutorial!

Molly says:

I love these! I was able to make two real quick before we left for a long road trip, and they were awesome. My little guy isn’t great about drinking from a sippy cup, so I was able to make sure he always had water available without worrying about the fact that he was going to lose interest after 2 seconds and drop it. Plus I love anything that can be made in 5 minutes flat!

MJo says:

This is a great idea. As long as common sense is used, safety shouldn’t be an issue.

Mrs Sda says:

My little brother had something very similar when he was a toddler,16 years ago, not sure from where my mom got it..anyway, it never got wrapped around his neck,as boisterous as he was..I love this idea!! As with any device made for babies, adult supervision is stipulated, so use responsibly to prevent any problems concerning choking hazards. I’m definitely making these for my kids

Tiffany says:

I went looking for a DIY sippy cup strap tutorial for our upcoming Disney trip. Inspired by your tutorial, I made mine even more easily! The loop to attach the cup to the stroller I copied, but on the end instead of using elastic that I had to go out and buy, I used a simple black hair elastic, which fit perfectly under the handles of our Avent sippy cups. Thanks so much! :)

Margo says:

I made my first one with Velcro but it kept coming undone when tossed overboard. Elastic=genius! Thanks so much for sharing and making life easier!

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. [...] Sippy Cup Leash. Who’da thunk? Great idea. [...]

2. [...] original directions are on the wonderful blog Make it – Love it. But of course, I had to give it my own spin since I didn’t like how the elastic was seen on [...]

3. [...] or more specifically, Make it and Love it has one for you. Check out their fantastic tutorial here. This is an inexpensive, under 15 minutes type of project. Great for when you’re running [...]

4. [...] 1. Make sippy cup leashes for in the car. [...]

5. [...] this box, You can also see Little’s feet on a pillow. You can’t see it but I also have a sippy cup leash that I found on [...]

6. [...] 1. Make sippy cup leashes for in the car. [...]

7. [...] How about giving a collection of Sippy Cups as a gift?  But don’t forget the Sippy Cup Leash: [...]

8. [...] all know how frustrating the “the the sippy cup” game gets.  So, create a Sippy Cup Leash and any mom will smother you with Thank [...]

9. [...] Car Seat Handle Cover by Make It and Love It (updated version here) [...]

10. [...] pleanty of things… but still.  Ewwww!!!  So… when I came across the tutorial for the Sippy Cup Leash by Make It and Love It, I HAD to give it a [...]