Make-a-Cake Series: Cake Tattoo

Have you seen my newest sponsor Safron Marigold, found here?  This beautiful company carries a full collection of luxury bedding and linens that are all hand printed using the craft of “wood block printing”.  They carry such amazing prints and styles……that you may decide to re-decorate your whole home to incorporate the richness of their products.  The moment you click over and start browsing…..your little heart will warm right up.

Did you see the winners of the Up To My Knees In Crafts giveaway?  Scroll down or click here.
(And the mystery gift is still available.  The first person to place an order and place “Make It and Love It” in the comments, will receive a surprise item along with their order.)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

What is a cake tattoo?
You can ask only one person….Duff.

I have a soft spot for Duff.
He had the first cake show (ace of cakes) and his creations made me want to “try” to cake decorate.

Recently at Micheal’s, I noticed Duff released a line of cake decorating helps.
Icing tips, cutters, imprint mats, icing, sprinkles, and more tons of fun stuff.
I have been dying to try something out.

So then I could do something like this:

Here is the package of cake tattoos I picked out. I just loved the title “cake tattoos”.
So fun right?
The “tattoo” is edible paper. I hadn’t worked with edible paper yet and wanted to give it a shot.
I took my weekly 40% off coupon and for around $8.50 I walked off with this design.

The package included some brief instructions on back and two pieces of edible papers inside.
The package said I could make 1 two tired cake, 20 cupcakes, or 20 cookies.

It did not take long to decide I wanted a little bit of all three, all stacked up on my cupcake stand.

Did you see those other design on the back? Too cute!
First, I decorated my 6 inch cake.
The cake in the pictures is actually a 7 inch cake. –It was a little too big, go with the 6 inch.

Stack and crumb coat your 6 inch cake. If you need help with these steps look HERE.

I put the cake on foil while I decorated so I could move it later to my stand.
After letting the crumb coat set, add another layer of buttercream icing.
Smooth it the best you can. Mine is FAR from perfect!

Lay two of the sheets of edible paper around the sides of your cake.
 Make sure they meet up in the front and back.
Note: once you put the paper down on the cake it will not come off. The paper started to get soft once it touched the moisture of the icing. So be careful to place it where you want.

On the instructions for the cake tattoo, they say to put a circle of edible paper on top as well. But I wanted more paper for my cupcakes and cookies, so I decided to save mine and put rosettes on top of my cake.

I used tip 1M.
Using even pressure (while squeezing), make a swirl with the icing to form a rosette.
Keep your bag pointed up the whole time.

Start with a rim around the top.

Then fill in the rest of the top with rosettes.

Nice and simple.

Now you can use the rest of the paper for cookies and cupcakes.

I baked my cupcakes along with my cake and I bought the sugar cookies at the store.
Mine were small sugar cookies.

I found a cookie cutter about the same size as the top of my cookies and cupcakes.
Using an Exacto knife and a cutting board, I traced the cookie cutter to make circles.
I ended up with 14 extra circles.

I piped buttercream on top of my cookies and placed the paper on top of the icing.
Using my fingers, I smoothed that paper down until it gave me a flat finish.

I repeated the same steps with my cupcakes…..with one change.
After I took this picture I decided I didn’t like the rippling I was getting in the paper.
Do you see it on the finished cupcake?

When you pipe buttercream on the cupcake, put an extra lay on the outside rim of the cupcake. That will make the buttercream flat and not domed like the picture. Then the edible paper will lay flat and not ripple.

Now you are ready to stack all your treats on the cupcake stand.

Perfect dainty desserts for any party!
And it was so easy with the tattoos! Thank you Duff!

Happy Decorating!

Filed under Make-A-Cake Series

Comments

33 Responses to “Make-a-Cake Series: Cake Tattoo”
    Tammy says:

If you search for edible images on ebay and the internet, you can find character images for kids' parties. I've used these for several years now. But the ones you show are cool for us big "kids". :0)

Gabby says:

Such a cute use of cake tattoos!

Mandy says:

LOVE this!!

Lindsay says:

This is fantastic! I love how you used a cake, cookies AND cupcakes! How fun!!!

Amy @ Blowout Party! says:

Ooooh I love what you did! So pretty! Thanks for the great tutorial.

Ginny G. says:

So cute!!! I have not tried cake decorating but this looks like something I might could manage. One question…do they have any taste? Sorry if that is a silly question–but I've purchased decorations before that were entirely to sweet.

Andrea says:

This is so cute! But even more important — how did it taste? lol

ashleigh says:

I just saw these last night at Walmart!!!

Jennwith4 says:

How awesome! I love watching duff and ace of cakes. I'll have to go to michaels soon and mAke some treats!

Brittany says:

Ginny G.– They just tasted mildly sweet.. I put one on my tounge and it was sweet and started to disolve. On a cookie I could not even tell ti was there.
    Good question!

DColbert85 says:

Love it wish I could be that creative..

Joseph's Grainery Recipes says:

The Daring Bakers Challenge (www.thedaringkitchen.com)this month is to make decorated sugar cookies. I may just have to try these tattoos for my take on the challenge! They look adorable.

Nikki says:

Very yummy looking and so bright and cheerful

famr_4evr says:

We saw these last week at Michaels and were so excited!! The birthday cakes next year will be awesome!!

Matt and Kelli says:

Such a cute idea! I am going to need to come up with an excuse to make another cake to try this out. Thanks for sharing all your ideas! I used the fondant recipe to make my daughter's birthday cake and it turned out really cute. Here's a link to see it if you're interested.

Amy says:

So cute! I haven't tried the Duff cake supplies yet but I will have to give it a shot! I love how you used it on the cake, cupcakes and cookies!

Diana Joy says:

Cake Tatto…never heard of that….how fun and yor cake looks fabulous.

Jill says:

This is so cool! I didn't know about these. A friend of mine who is a semi-professional cake decorator tried one of the Duff cake mixes (she NEVER uses mixes) didn't think it was that great. She thought it was just okay, but for the price, not worth it.

Lana says:

That looks great and looks pretty easy! Question though, how do you clean out your tips? I always find that it takes me forever.

Caroline @ The Feminist Housewife says:

Ahh…that is SO cute. I'm going to have to check these out!

I want a tattoo….for my cake of course! ; )

Brittany says:

Lana- I don't have a remedy…it takes me forever too. They sell little brushes to clean then but I find then i have to spend extra time cleaning the brush. I rinse my tips out and then run them through the dishwasher in a bottle nipple holder. Good Luck!

bethanndodd says:

This is definately a LOVE IT project! I will be definately be using these soon! Thanks!

Susan says:

This is adorable! I'm thinkin' I could SO do this!

Brenda says:

I remember something like this years ago; I think called "Chinese rice paper"?? Pretty sure that was edible paper that sort of melted away in your mouth.
    These are super and a great alternative to me tossing sprinkles all over the kitchen when I try to decorate the sides of a cake!! I'm gonna get me some.
    Thanks for this superb blog.
    Brenda from Oshawa

Kelly O. says:

thankyou for posting this!! my friend is a cake decorator and she would just love to get these as a gift I'm sure! Off to Michael's!

Zane and Val says:

I Love this idea I was just wondering if you knew of a place where I could get plan paper that I could put my own image on?

Dena and Jared says:

Brittany, these are awesome! I would love it if you could show us how you transfer the cake from the tinfoil to the cake stand. Thanks!!

Brittany says:

Zane- Most of the cake decorating supply website sell blank edible paper. My favorite is sugar craft.

Dena- I just picked the cake up with my hands and pealed the foil off with one hand while I held the bottom of the cake with the other. then I set the cake on the stand moving my hands out at the same time. It made about a 1 inch drop. I think this is always a bit risky….but it works. I think the aid of a spatula would be helpful.
    Good Luck!

Kristen says:

Wow…you make it look so easy! Actually it is easy isn't it…..finding the time to do it would be the hard part for me. I might have to try this.

Debbie says:

Wow that came out amazing! My daughter and I were just at Michaels and she saw the animal print one and said she would love that for her 13th birthday. Her birthday is not till next April and I don’t see any expiration date on the package. Did yours have one? I have a 50% off coupon and I’m debating weather I should buy it now. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Debbie

Does your site have a contact page? I’m having problems locating it but, I’d like to send you an
    e-mail. I’ve got some ideas for your blog you might be interested in hearing. Either way, great site and I look forward to seeing it expand over time.