Satin Flower Headbands

Satin Flower Headbands
Remember this post about the pettiskirt?  Well, many of you asked about the headband…….

I have posted about the satin flowers before…….hmmmm, maybe a year or so ago, but didn’t give a step-by-step and didn’t show it on a headband.  But these little satin flowers really are a fun little thing to put on anything.  Clothing, bags, headbands, etc.

But since many have requested the headband version, here it is:

Such a fun and vibrant accessory.

Many color combos are at your fingertips.

The headbands work especially well to keep hair out of the face,
while your little one peeps on the neighbors.
(We’ll have to have a talk…)

And how can you resist all those layers of petals…  Nice and full and perfectly sweet.

Ready to make your own?

First, begin by cutting about 6 circles of satin material for each flower.  (I just found the cheapest satin I could…..only a few $’s a yard, and it worked great.  The satin just needs to be able to melt with fire, rather than burn.)  The blue flower is bigger and the largest circle is about 3 inches in diameter.  The largest green circle is about 2 1/2 inches in diameter.

I made each circle gradually smaller, making sure they fit on top of the circle just larger than it, and didn’t worry one bit about making it a perfect circle.  The uneven-ness of each circle will add to the beauty of the flower.  Promise.

Then I used a lighter and slightly melted the edges of each flower,   This also caused the edges to curl up a bit.

Then, one at a time, I hot glued each circle to the one below it, until I had my layered flower.

Then I placed a rather full blob of hot glue in the center of the flower…….

…….then dumped a pile of these little filler beads right on top.  (You know, the same ones I used for filling up the “I-spy” bags here.)  You could use real beads or skip the hot glue and sew on beads to the center.  But I just had these filler beads and thought they were the perfect shape. And I have had the pink flowered headband (shown above) for a while, which has been tossed and smashed and in the bottom of my purse……..and the little beads are still holding strong.

Then I mashed the beads into the glue blob, and formed it to the shape I wanted it with my fingers.

Then I dumped off the excess beads.

And that was it.  The centers for the flowers are done.

Then I cut out pieces of felt, into the shape of petals.

Then I melted the edges of the felt, just for a textured look.  And also held the flame on the center of the petal a bit……which gave it more texture, but also made the petal round inwards just a bit.

Then I glued the two petals together…

Then glued the flowers right on top of the petals.  Trim any parts of the petal off, that may be peeking from the top or sides, if necessary.

Then, I just use these stretchy headbands (from Wal-Mart/Target) because they stay in my little girl’s hair better than hard headbands.  But you could use either.  I glued the headband right to the back of the headband.

Once that cooled, I added a nice thick layer of hot glue to the top of that, and let it dry.  This creates a nice rubbery surface, and helps keep the headband in place on slippery hair.

And that’s it.

Headband completed.

Now make several more, in all sorts of colors.

And be sure to make some for yourself.

They sure are fun to wear.

With any outfit.

Filed under Accessory, Baby, Children, Miscellaneous, No Sew

Comments

101 Responses to “Satin Flower Headbands”
    marisa says:

very cute! can't wait to make these! The glue you added at the end for the rubber feel, is that hot glue as well?

Yes, that was hot glue too. Good luck!

Britta says:

Love these! Can't wait to make them. I kinda had an idea how to make them, but wasn't sure. Thanks for the tutorial. Love your blog!
    P.S. Check out mine anytime….I tried some of your other tutorials with great success. Thanks again!

Alan and Natalie says:

How do you keep your flowers from turning black?? We tried this a couple weeks ago and the would get black burn marks on them, even when we were being super careful! Did we use the wrong fabric??

M.O.T.B says:

Very cute! Love it and great tutorial!

I guess it could be the fabric…mine have never turned black. Are you using a candle or a lighter? A candle will often have a little bit of a smoke to it, and may add black to your edges…..so I always use a lighter. Also, never leave the flame on the fabric for too long. Just for split second, to melt it just a bit. But maybe try a different variety of satin too. That could be the problem. Good luck!

Leah says:

Me and two friends made these out of white. We used whatever pens were around to trace the circle. They both had black ink but my pen was pink ink. My edges that had ink still showing turned pink while theirs turned black. We would have never figured it out if I didn’t have a different colored pen.

Also, 100% polyester is the best way to go. I go to thrift store and look through the clothes to find things that are made out of 100% polyester. You can find some great colors and patterns this way and its also a wonderful way to reuse! :D

Whitney & McKayla says:

Your flowers will also turn black if you're holding them in the top half of the flame. If you use the bottom, rounder part of the flame, burning shouldn't be an issue. The same way people heat set ribbon to keep it from fraying. Very cute to use the poly fill beads! I sometimes poke a hole through the middle of all the layers and push a cute scrapbooking brad through the middle.

Nana's Fun Stuff says:

Oh so cute!!! Thanks for the tip on how to make them. Have a great week!

A Girl says:

Too cute! Just what we need for back to school.

Mrs. Hahn says:

WOW! How easy! I love it. Thanks of sharing I enjoy your blog!

Sarah says:

Thank you so much for posting this! I've been looking for a good tutorial on making fabric flowers! I can't wait to make some. :)

Snapshotsofhappiness says:

Super Cute and they look easy to make! I got my Silhouette SD cutter over the weekend! I'm loving it! Thanks so much for all your great posts and ideas!

Jill says:

Uh-dorable! I love them! I have a 4 daughters and a lot of nieces that would love these! I think I would add a strip of felt across the backside (instead of leaving the hotglue)- because I can imagine my girls picking at that! ;) Thanks for sharing.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THESE! Thank yOU for all of your AWESOME ideas :).

April says:

I want to make one for my niece!!

tracyp says:

I could totally do that while I'm in the hospital on bed rest! Love it! Might have to make a request from my hubby for some supplies!

Cara says:

Thanks for filling our request! I love these, they are just adorable!

Silvia Lima says:

I really like the tutorial and I want to make this flower, but was unsure if it would work, it was beautiful, Congratulations!
    I follow your blog and love to come by always
    Thanks
    Silvia

ificould says:

Once again, your talent amazes me!! Love these!

Selina says:

They are gorgeous! Perfect for my bald baby!

Bethany says:

Lol, I looked all over the internet for directions to make a satin flower on Thursday night. I was in a wedding and needed something to dress up my simple hairstyle. It turned out really cute, and was a great way to use up some of the spare fabric from my bridesmaid dress.
    Your instructions are much more simple than the ones I found, though, and your little girl looks so sweet in her new headband!

Shirley says:

I love these! I am going to be making some with my nieces next week and now I don't have to search for a tutorial. Thanks! :)

Edmara Vieira says:

beautiful!!!

Shasta says:

Okay, first of all, your little girl is DARLING! Secondly, I cannot wait to get my hands on the stuff to make these. They're not too complicated and perfect for a beginning crafter like myself. You are SO talented! Thanks!

Jill says:

TOTALLY making some of those!!! Thanks for the great directions!

Amanda says:

I have been trying to figure out how to make these for soooo long! Thanks for posting this tutorial! I was able to make some already today!

Svetlana and Scott says:

thanks for step by step instruction. I'll sure to try this one it looks SO cute!

Beth says:

These are so cute, I can't wait to get some fabric and make a few!

Angela says:

Your daughter is adorable. I have made several of these flowers but love some of your ideas for them. I am going to try the lighter instead of a candle. So cute.

Sassy Sites! says:

I featured this today! Come by Sassy Sites and say hi… and grab a featured button!! Love your blog! :)

Suzi Q says:

I just had a baby 6 days ago, but I can't wait to try making this! I'm trying to put crafts on the back burner and enjoy my little family for a while.

I used these instructions to make one for my little girl and it is TOO CUTE!! Thanks a bunch!!

[email protected] says:

Theyre so cute! Thanks for the easy tutorial, I cant wait to see my baby in one!

CuteStuffInside says:

Thanks!

S.W.A.K.

Kim says:

fantastic back to school idea!!!! xo thanks so much!!!

Kari says:

Cute! I love these and the fabric ones! SOOO CUTE! Cannot wait to make some!

scrapcraft says:

Love this, thanks for sharing!

j.mcf says:

These are darling and I'm amazed at how simple they are to make. I noticed in the photo you used to show the cut circles, there were different shades of satin; were the ottars on the final flowers made with the differing shades of satin?

Austin Lovelys says:

Wow! I am in love with this idea! Waaaaay cute! I'm gonna have to make some for my daughter!! Thanks for sharing :)

j.mcf – All of the circles are all the same color. It was just the lighting and the camera that made it look like different colored circles. Sorry about that confusion. So yep, make them all the same color….and they'll turn out great!

Good luck!

The Noalls says:

When we moved recently, the first week at church, I noticed that an insane amount of women, young women, little girls, and babies all had flowers in their hair. I vowed I would never do it, because I hate being a clone.

And then you go and show a tutorial for ADORABLE flowers that I cannot resist! Blast it, Ashley! ;)

The Harwood Family says:

Thank you so much Ashley! My life, and wardrobe are now complete! I don't know why I didn't think of satin. Duh! So cute and easy!

Kathleen@so much to say, so little time says:

Awesome! That's so easy–my little girl's hair is IMPOSSIBLE to keep in a hair band, so I'll have to try this. My own hair (and everyone else's in the family) is thick, curly, and you do whatever it wants to do…I have absolutely no idea what to do with hair as fine as hers. Extra-fine, straight hair is a trait of Trisomy 21 but I had hoped her parents' genetics might overcome DS…no such luck! So I'm looking forward to trying this. :)

Maranda & Will says:

Made some and wore it tonight at a banquet. Check mine out! http://willandmarandarevell.blogspot.com/

Kendra says:

Ohhhh, so totally cute! I'll bet my two-year-old might be a bit small to help, but she can certainly pick out the colors she wants. I'm making one of these, or maybe two or three! Thanks!

Marjorie says:

Hello, I have a blog that aims to identify all the tutorials that can be found on blogs. I put a link to your blog (and not the explanation) but could i take one of your pictures to illustrate my post? thank you and congratulations for your blog. marjorie

Marjorie,

Yes, you can post a picture of the project and then put a link back to my site for the full tutorial. Thanks for doing so!

Kelly says:

I love it! Well done! I think I might even be able to manage it.

hair accessories says:

Absolutely fun! I love it. You are so talented. Thanks for this awesome tutorial and for bringing a little joy into my life today.

soooo pretty!! thanks for the tut.!!

Ashley @ Little Miss Momma says:

Love this headband–so crafty!
    Would love for you to link up to my Headband Link party over at Little Miss Momma! Here's the link:

-ashley

kiwibandit says:

You should use buttons in the middle instead of those clear rocks!

Jessey V says:

These are so cute and look so easy to make! I much rather make these myself then paying $8/each for a stinking flower! LOL Guess what I am making this weekend. Ohhhh yeahhhh!

shawna [of styleberryBLOG] says:

Thank you for sharing!

Mary is a Grape says:

I used a tealight instead of a lighter and my flowers came out quite well. Very easy and fun project. Thanks for sharing! :)

Nena says:

Mine don't curl either :( I'm not sure waht I'm doing wrong, I bought a bunch of satin because I wanted to make some for my daughter and her friends for Christmas. Any thoughts? I think the satin I got was called poly satin, from hobby lobby.

Thanks.

decorative fabrics says:

The stuff is so cool and its very nice. So cute to use such material for such stuff.:)

Hmmmm……if they're not curling, are you using a lighter? Are you holding the heat there long enough to really melt the edges? You can make the edges all uneven and really try to curl up the edges better by trying to melt it more and more. I bought my satin at Hobby Lobby and it curls just fine. SO I'm thinking that it just needs to be melted a little bit more. Let me know how it works and good luck!

Nena says:

Ashley- thanks for the tips! When i first tried, the edges weren't curling, I started putting the flame a little under the edge of the circle instead of just on the edge.

Hopefully that helps someone :)

DD and I love them! :)

CherishedBliss says:

Love these!! Great inspiration.

Jennifer says:

i am having trouble getting my edges not to catch fire! i guess i got the wrong kind of satin :(

Halle Calypso says:

now i have an idea what to give my niece for her birthday

MarySol says:

Muchas gracias por estos tutoriales
    ¡son estupendos!

I just finished making this headband and I love it! :) I made a brown silk flower and an off whitish flower and I skipped the leaves altogether. Also, I used buttons for the center, instead of beads which didn't look right for the style I was going for :/ But I know as soon as I show this to my friends they will DIE :D:D I'm going to have to make one for everyone! :) But I'm sure I don't mind, it was really fun!

Ps. You have the most adorable little girl ever :) She looks so sweet! :D
    Thanks you so much for the tutorial!! It was awesome! :D:D

Megan S. says:

Great tutorial!! Can I add a suggestion? You can also glue a bit of felt (circle, flower, whatever) to the back to polish it up a bit!

Also, I have been buying the elastic headbands in lots of colors from a seller on etsy called Threddies, they have cute stretch lace ones too! http://threddies.etsy.com

Thanks again, I have been having so much fun with this!!!

Stephanie says:

after seeing some headbands in liked in the stores i decided I wanted to create my own. these are so cute and it turned out pretty good. my only question is how do u get it so the edges arent burnt, altought I kinda like that, gives it a edgy look. I didnt have any beads, I may have to try that.

Rainbow Bekah says:

I must make these asap! So cute!

Jenee' says:

I love these! I tried it on a dress and it looks great! Thanks for the great information!

Lauren says:

Where do you find the headbands?

Amber says:

I was thinking about using the flowers for a wedding bouquet. Would you have any suggestions for this? Thanks for the great idea.

Jacquelyn says:

Love these! Thanks so much for making being crafty easy and super cute!

kenna says:

hola- tu blog es maravilloso. aunque lo traduzco, puedo ver que bien explicas y los trabajos son muy bien hechos.
    tambien soy madre y algo desordenadita con mis labores que hago todo el dia, estudio educación inicial y blogueo buscando ideas, espero no te molestes por q agregue tus post a mi blog…es solo para dar a conocer lo tuyo.un abrazo.

ana says:

I had a newborn photo shoot last month and was very interested in how to do these flowers. I have to say this was so very simple. I looked through my giveaway clothing bag for some silk items. I found a old shirt and cut it up, with my daughters help I made 2 head bands! I love it and thanks!

Anna says:

So that’s how you make it curl up like that. Can’t wait to try it.

Need to make some headbands for my girls for a wedding we will be attending. These are super classy and I have everything to make them! (Yes, even the plastic beads from my own venture at “I Spy Bags”. What a perfect way to use them up!) Thank you so much!

chad says:

really cute. I have a friend with a wedding coming up, and she is looking for something just like that. I’ll tell her about your site. You might appreciate this one too. This girl makes some really cute headbands.

Tami says:

Just stopping by to let you know that I’ve featured your craft on Family Fun Crafts! You can see it here:

If you have other kid friendly crafts, I’d love it if you would submit them. :) If you would like to display a
    featured button on your site, you can grab one from the right side bar of your post above.

so pretty and easy. can’t wait to make for my niece. thanks!!

Amie says:

gorgeous! i jump from one site after another and ended up here! love your site and love your crafts! i specially love this headband. are you on etsy? do you sell your items like this headband? i would love this for my little Andi, specially she still doesn’t have a full head of hair at age 1!

Cathy A says:

Thank you so much for the simple but gorgeous idea! I’ve just made my 1st flower and it looks so lovely! I’m going to make several to be worn as brooches by the women of our family at my wedding later this year.

I’m trying to find something else more ‘masculine’ to make buttonholes for the men – can anyone help?

Thank you.

i heat it it looks like just ijiijij

lorence says:

I was looking for stuff to be given as giveaways for my lil’ princess birthday. This craft is so helpful and very nice. Thank you so much. I tried tinkerbell costume from your tutorial and it turned out nice. Oh! I’m so in love with you! Hahaha . Thank you so much.

Isandra says:

Very cute!!! what about using a small candle to burn the satin instead of the lighter? It might give you a better hold on the fabric…. Just a thought ;)

Btw, didn’t read all the post, maybe someone else suggested this already :D

Elizabeth says:

I just made my 2 year old one of these for Easter! It is SO cute…and easy!! Thanks for the wonderful idea that people without a creative bone in their body (ME!) can handle!

Bitsy Bands says:

Hi. I sell products like these at bitsybands.com. Check it out!

Brenda says:

Thanks so much for the tutorial! These were so much fun to make! I only did one thing different, instead of burning up fuel with a lighter I used my heat embossing tool I use with scrapbooking! It worked great! Thanks so much!

me encanta tu blog,haces cosas preciosas y recetas muy ricas ya he probado algunas,muchas gracias por compartir,un abrazo desde chile :),bendiciones