Decorate My Home, Part 22 – Toy Bin Labeling

Have you noticed my newest sponsor ChrystalBlu Pacifier Catchers, found here?  There you will find catchers for all pacifier styles and sizes and adorable designs for both girls and boys.  We all know what a pain it is to keep a pacifier clean…….and ChrystalBlu gives us a perfect and stylish solution.
Looking for the Cap Creations giveaway?  Scroll down or click here.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
If you submitted your name to Antonina’s Bakery to be one of the first 100 to receive 2 tubs of Florentines (Yum!), you will be notified if you were one of the top 100 before the end of the day.  And your Florentine’s will be shipped out soon!
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Remember how I began the Toddler Room projects here and here?

Well, I couldn’t decorate one more thing……until I took control of the toy bin mess.

Now I know why many people are addicted to labeling.
The toy shelves/bins that we have, are always a mixture of craziness.  And it’s hard to find a certain toy that the kiddos are looking for.  (I know, poor them, right?)
But now we, like many other labeling fanatics out there, have labeled our bins.
Using vinyl labels…..
(Yes, I used my Silhouette and was then able to pick whatever coordinating picture I wanted.)
And have added little pictures to help the kids remember what goes where.
Perfect solution.
I even quizzed the kids several times.  And it worked!
Now they can put things away in their own little spot.
It sure makes playing with the doll house so much more fun.
With all of the little doll house people and furniture, right below the doll house.
And the other shelf is just as organized and tidy.

With a couple of drawers of books……..for quick book-worm access.

(And yeah, we realized not all of the books would fit here and had to stash them on a bigger shelf out in our family room.  But at least they have a good pile of them here in their room.)

We got the shelves and bins at Ikea for a great price, here.  So if you’re looking for some, check them out first.  And they have all different sizes and heights, plus you can choose between real wood and press board.  Great options.
And don’t worry, if you don’t have a Silhouette or a craft cutter of some sort, you could always order vinyl lettering and then use stickers that correspond with the picture you need for each tub.  Or cut out pictures  and lettering from the computer and mod podge them on.
You know how I love a good mod podge project.
Anyway, their room is moving along……slowly but surely.

Comments

47 Responses to “Decorate My Home, Part 22 – Toy Bin Labeling”
    WannaBcrafty says:

Okay,soooo such a great idea, I have been researching to see what vinyl cutter to buy! And I was thinking the Silhouette and since you have one I think that's my choice. Thanks for more great ideas

abby and paxton says:

Looks good- hope it stays that organized forever. I love your bookcase with the sliding tubs. Where'd you find that? Or did you make it? Wouldn't be surprised.

Oh I sure hope I'm one of the 1st 100 for those Floretine's goodies. This pregnant lady needs them right about NOW!

Maria Gridley says:

Love that idea!! I like having my kids' toys organized too.. but they just like to throw any toy in any drawer possible.

This is perfect for teaching them "a place for everything and everything in its place."

So cute, and I bet fun for them too.

posidanielle says:

I love it! I'm beginning to wonder if I could do this for my daughter and have her keep up with it….hmmmmm.

meika says:

What a gorgeous idea. I have considered using clip art but your is so much prettier!

Clare Lennon says:

This is great! I love bins- organized enough, but not too many compartments so that you never remember what goes where!

Cecily says:

Wow, that looks sharp! Fantastic!

Lori says:

I love this idea!! We have a shelf with multiple containers almost like this and as many times as I've sat there separating toys and organizing, I can't believe I never thought to label them! I love the pictures with the words too! My daughter even has that same dollhouse. Thanks for sharing! This will be my next project!

**Ida** says:

Love how clean and crisp they look!

Tristie hearts Dax says:

my 2 year old would have those stickers peeled off in 1 minute. they are super cute though.

Ruth @ Hammer and Thread says:

That is so cool. I really like the graphics that you picked out

April says:

Great idea. What was the name of the font you used?

Justine says:

Cute idea! I love the cute pictures on the bins :)

Just Better Together

www.kevinandamanda.com says:

Looks great! :)

The Mac's House says:

Love it! Now if I could just convince the 2 year old in our household that organization is a GOOD thing.

Powers Fam says:

I never thought about putting our dollhouse up off the floor. Sure would make it easier on my back. So right after reading your post I did just that and my daughter thought it was the best! Thanks. And it is nice to see that your mommy doll has big hair also. ;)

Amy @ Journey Mum says:

That is a great storage solution, and boy do I love organisation!

Kelly's Korner says:

Love your labels! I have toy box labeling on the brain right now…. I LOVE that drawer system from Ikea, but here in Europe it's way over my budget. I'm thinking of something with felt………… :)

Veronika says:

Those are great. Love them!

Natalёk says:

good idea

Samah says:

Beautiful, but how do you get them to put the stuff in the boxes? My kid's play area stays organized for one day and then chaos reigns again.

I love this idea. It looks so good and I cant wait to try it! JN

Mormishmom says:

Stop it! This is fantastic – now I definitely need a Silhouette! We even have the exact same toy bins :) Wanna send me some? Name your price? Do you accept payment in the form of hair accessories? LOL

Devon says:

i am really excited to see what the whole room looks like! my husband wants our two kids (girl and boy) to share a room and i have no idea how to make it work.
    i love that storage system and your silhouette is super cool!

Jen says:

I have the same type of bins from Ikea and just labeled everything last month. It has help a lot! I just printed pictures of the toys that I found using google pics and taped them on. ( For example some of our bins are Mr. Potato head, cars/trucks, transformers, balls etc.) It was fast and easy, maybe some day I will upgrade to vinyl. I hope to put it on my blog soon as well.

iatexstars says:

I love it. My husband almost bought me a Silhouette but i told him i didn't think i'd do enough with it to justify the cost and i regret it now.

ps. i just got my email from Antonina's Natural Bakery and i can't wait to get my cookies.

embe designs says:

Great idea. Where do you get bins like that?

Her Royal Highness says:

My daughter just walked in and saw me looking at these (which I LOVE, btw). She said, "I love that house. Can we buy that house?" Meaning your HOME because it had a house and was clean and organized.
    Just thought you might want to know a 6 year old wants to buy your house.

The Beynon Family says:

I LOVE these Ikea bins. Do you remember the name of them? I looked on the website and couldn't find them. Thanks!

Sure, the link to Ikea is here:

And I added that to the post too. So thanks!

Oh, and April, the name of that font is Smiley Monster and it's a free font from this site:

Good luck!

Wiseman Family says:

I see you have imagination library books from Dolly Parton. I sure miss getting those in the mail each month now that we don't live in Tennessee.

Samantha says:

what a great idea!! (:

samantha

Jen says:

just posted on my blog how I did my labeling. Yours is very cute and someday I will probably redo mine. I put a link to your page.

Amanda says:

What a GREAT idea!!!!!!!

Jen says:

super cute!!! I totally need better toy organization!

And I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who puts a door knob cover on their kids door :)

Jennwith4 says:

Yet another reason I should get a craft cutter! How cute!

MyLady B. says:

I've had the same bins for a couple years now, and I was never sure how to go about labeling them. Did the vinyl stick ok, or did it need some mod podge assistance? I know the bins have an uneven texture…

Thanks so much for sharing, can't wait to do this myself!

Shannon says:

What size bins did you use for the one with the dollhouse on top? That would be perfect for my DD's room! She has the same dollhouse LOL.

Shannon,

I used the shorter bins for the top row, found here:

And then a bit taller bins for the bottom row, found here:

Oh, and MyLady B – Yes, the vinyl worked great on there and isn't peeling at all. I even caught my two year old trying to pick at it and he couldn't get it up. (But we had a talk about not picking at them……because I don't want him to eventually get them off. Now, I think he has forgotten about it.)

Susannah says:

What a great idea! I design and cut custom vinyl for people, but haven't worked on a project like this before! What a great idea to suggest to any parent!

Kiera says:

I was looking through your site and just saw this post. I also have the same Ikea Trofast storage unit and Fisher Price dollhouse right on top. In fact I bought the long storage unit just to save space with the dollhouse. I have been toying with the idea of labeling the bins too but I'm constantly changing how I organize their toys so I'm still debating. But nice job on yours!

Tunde Clark says:

Hey I just simply LOVE this!! I have the same bins also and was wondering where did you get the “picture templates” (like the dolls and the other images) from??? Please let me know I just have to do this too ;)

Becca Allred says:

I absolutely love this idea. You executed it very well, adorable!

Melinda says:

Do you sell these labels?? I would love to buy some of these. I’m assuming they would be a lot cheaper than buying a silhouette cutter. Please let me know… These are so perfect!!! I am a freak about wanting my sons toys separated into different bins. He could care less, but it makes me happy!

Leigh says:

Did you use certain cartidges for the pictures or do you have something like MTC and use some dingbats? If you didn’se use a cartidge, I would be very interested in where you got the images. Thanks