Colonial Inspiration

Looking for the Wordy Bird giveaway?  Scroll down or click here.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Georgia is dripping with culture.
And we have had so much fun checking it out here and there.
A while ago, we walked through a few restored Colonial style homes.  Ahh, the beauty.  I loved soaking it all in………the design, the colors, the furniture, the stories, etc.  They even created a fictional family who lived in the house, so that we (the tourists) could imagine the life taking place within the walls.
But what a great way to capture bits and pieces of inspiration for future projects.
(Do you take your camera with you most places too?  Start snapping more pictures…)
We first stopped by the daughter’s room, who “lived” in this house.  I decided I loved her quilt and bed ruffle.  Such soft and calm colors, with a gorgeous fabric print.  And what planning she had, laying out her clothes for the next day…….haha!
And once I turned to see the other corner of her room…..I wondered if I could somehow purchase the rocking chair by the window.
 Then we stopped by the son’s room and I loved the old pleated trousers and deep-V collared vest.  Can’t you just see the little boy running around outside, chasing the chickens……….with his trousers, vest, and maybe a little hat?
Great, now I want to make one for my little guy.
(Too bad we don’t have chickens…)
By they way, do they sell such beautiful bassinet’s anymore?  I’d love to drape my own white linens over the beautifully constructed spindled edge.
The rest of the tour, I couldn’t help clicking pictures here and there and everywhere.  I started thinking, “oooh, maybe I could try and duplicate some of the pleats, details, styles, gathers, tucks, etc…”
The ideas started trickling in……..so I continued snapping pictures.

And do you think I’d be lucky enough to find a piece of furniture as lovely as the one below, at my next yard sale visit?  I’d love to re-upholster that thing…….and find the perfect spot for it in my home.
And yes, even these boys were good sports during this little tour.  It was actually a welcomed air conditioned break from the intense heat and humidity that was outside.
And let me tell you, the outside was landscaped just as beautifully as the inside.  And the little lady and I both agreed that having this little bird bath (we think?) would look gorgeous in our backyard.

And of course we had to stop by the barnyard before heading out.
These two guys seemed to be heckling each other.  Look at the smirk on that sheep.  Ha!
And I grew up with goats in our our backyard in southern Arizona until I was about 6 or 7.  And yes we even drank the goat’s milk.  We thank my older brother who had an allergy to cow’s milk for that…….but maybe that’s the reason why many of us are so tall in our family??  Haha!  But yes, we raised the goats for their milk on our little 10 acre property and I remember going out to feed the little baby goats with bottles.  Awwww, that was my very favorite thing to do and I always volunteered first to feed them their warm milk from the tall glass bottles!
So what a delight to see my little ones loving on these little goats.
I declare that they were instant friends.

And those of you living in the south, are Magnolias your absolute favorite flower?  They bloom all over the place (though not as much this late in the summer) and everyone seems to plant them in their yards, along streets, in front of businesses………everywhere.
And why not?  They are so delicate.  So perfect.

And they’re incredibly huge.  I think that just adds to the charm of these beautiful flowers.
Bigger is better, right?
And that’s it from this visit.
Many new ideas twisting around in my head.
And go on, use them too if you were at all inspired.
And don’t forget your camera on your next trip.  You never know what will catch your eye.

Filed under Family

Comments

32 Responses to “Colonial Inspiration”
    Noomiy says:

Oh! Your children are so sweet! :)
    Awsome house :)

posidanielle says:

Those magnolias are so beautiful! And your children are so adorable! Thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures.

skb1207 says:

Ashley, My little family just moved to Georgia and I would love to take them to these homes. Would you mind please letting me know where you went? Thanks! I love your blog. Have a great day!Shelly B.

Missouri Gal Nicole says:

Cute kids! The flowers photo is adorable!

Kristi @ Creative Kristi says:

I wish I could have magnolias! I live in Maine and pretty sure they won't grow here :( I love snapping pictures of whatever catches my eye when touring places. President Roosevelt's summer cottage is on Campabello Island in Canada just over the border from Maine and I used to visit there every summer as a child. I loved it!

Jill says:

What beautiful pictures! The magnolias look so perfect you'd think they were fake!

Emily says:

Gorgeous pics- especially of your daughter and the magnolias!

Amy @ Blowout Party! says:

I've never seen a magnolia before, how could that be?! They're spectacular!
    Your kids are adorable!

Melissa says:

I don't think I have ever seen Magnolia's that big before! They are HUGE!
    pathb4me.blogspot.com

Sassy Sites! says:

I featured you today over at Sassy Sites! Come by and check it out! AND grab the featured button :)

Marni @ Sassy Sites!
    MY blog is all about YOU!

GaMtnScrap says:

Your kids are adorable! And I loved the pictures from the historical home. I too live in Georgia, but our magnolias don't get THAT big! That one in your pic was HUUUUUGE! Of course, I live in the northern part, so maybe the temps are just different enough to stunt them like that??

Thanks for the fun post!

Steph says:

Wow! I had no idea magnolias were so gigantic. Beautiful!

tracyp says:

I miss the South so much. My mom's family lives in GA and I love going to visit and taking in the culture. Oh and Magnolias!!! We have a few magnolia trees around us in Missouri and I love them! My dream is to have a couple of different types of magnolia trees all over my yard to bring in the culture of the south!

A Girl says:

Love the cradle. My dad made one for my mom when we were babies. It was so beautiful that she keep it in the living room and stored her hademade blankets in it.

ShirleyC says:

That's a neat house, and I've never seen Magnolia blooms that huge! Your kids are darling.

Brenda says:

Thanks so much for sharing this visit. I enjoy seeing what's on the "other side"!
    The red & white French influence drapes etc. are exactly what I hope to do when I redo my room. Stunning.
    My fave animal is a goat. Their great. I tried to take the goat mascot at Old Fort Henry in Kingston Ontario home when I was about 4 yrs. Literally was pulling it by its' horns, to get it to come with me.
    Too funny how kids just love those critters.
    Cheers,
    Brenda in Oshawa Ontario

HalfAsstic.com says:

Just beautiful! Thanks for taking us on the tour with you!

Christie says:

Awesome pictures. And WOW on those flowers! LOVE them–so beautiful. I don't think I've ever seen one!

calicodaisy says:

Ha! You were at the Stone Mountain Antebellum houses? I was there last month, too.

The Dennett's says:

I now want to live in Georgia.

Anderson says:

What gorgeous inspiration! I'm totally coming to visit you! ;)

dana says:

Those are the most beautiful Magnolias I've ever seen. By far my favorite flower.

Leanna says:

I grew up in Tennessee, and we had a couple "baby" Magnolias in our yard (I say "baby" because really they were still ginormous but not nearly as big as they would be full grown like the ones you saw). We also had Dogwood trees with the pink and white blossoms. LOVE them! I miss them so much….*sigh* as well as the lightning bugs. Say hello to the South for me, would ya?

LeMira says:

Seriously, I want that house and everything in it! My husband on the other hand would disagree!

Petit Design Co. says:

so what home did you visit? I love going through old southern plantations. And YES I absolutely LOVE magnolias! they are so beautiful, huge, and perfect!

Dalling Family says:

I love old house tours! Nauvoo is one of my fav places to visit for that reason…among others. The size of the Hibiscus flowers there remind me a lot of the magnolia flower there…HUGE!!

Diana Joy says:

I could move in that house tomorrow…my style for sure. Fun tour; thanks.

Norma Lee @ Norma Lee Good says:

Thanks for the tour! I have never been to GA but I need to go. I love the setee and Oh MY GOSH…that is the biggest magnolia bloom I have ever seen! Your kids are precious and looks like they had fun.

Carlee Berry says:

I love the 'He loves me' necklace! So cute.

Carlee Berry says:

And… I obviously commented on the wrong post. Haha! Sorry!

Theresa says:

Those magnolias are so huge! Im from San Diego and we dont have those here. Theyre beautiful! are they always that big??

~Beth D. says:

Magnolias are my absolute favorite but they do NOT grow that big here in Cali! Gorgeous!