Full and Fluffy Pettiskirt

I used to love to dance around in skirts as a young girl.
And I always wanted a pettiskirt.
My childhood friend had one, and we would wear it, then trade, then dance, then trade, etc.
What a pain…….but I loved that thing.
And wished it was mine.
So making my little girl her own, was kind of like fulfilling that childhood dream of having a full and fluffy pettiskirt, all my own.  Ha……forgive me!
What could be better?  A full pettiskirt to dance in, twirl in, pretend in……

All of the ruffles, all of the layers………they will bounce right along with your free-spirited little girl.

With all those soft layers, girls of all ages are bound to feel happy and free….

Made my heart so happy to watch this little lady enjoying the fullness and fluff, every bit as much as I did so many years ago.  (Why didn’t I know now to sew when I was a teeny little girl?)

Would you like to make one too?

I found a video on Martha Stewart here a while ago, where a guest came on and showed how to make her pettiskirts.
I wish she had more time to share….but such are TV segments.  Short and sweet.

So I watched the video several times, adjusted the measurements given (just a bit), and came up with a step-by-step tutorial…..just to help explain the process a bit more.

And before we begin, make sure you purchase a non-fray chiffon….you don’t want to have to finish off every edge.  WAY too much work.  I found my chiffon here.  And actually purchased rolls of it, in the exact width that I needed, here.  There are many colors to choose from and the prices are great!  (If you don’t buy it on rolls, get ready to make lots of 2 inch and 5 inch wide strips that have to be sewn together to make longer strips.  But it can be done…..don’t worry!)
If you’re making a size similar to mine (about a 3T/4T….maybe even big enough for a 5T) I followed the links above and purchased one 2 inch roll (light pink) that was 60 yards long and one 5 inch roll (bright pink) that was 30 yards long.

Also, you will need to purchase a 1/4 yard of satin, some 7/8 wide elastic, and some ribbon.

Now, to get a visual of how the skirt is made……..it is a 3 tiered skirt, with a ruffle around the bottom.  The 1st tier is satin, the 2nd and 3rd tiers are 5 inch wide chiffon, and then you use the 2 inch wide chiffon as a ruffle along the bottom.  And then you actually make the chiffon section of the skirt twice, and put them together and make a 2 layered, 3 tiered skirt.  Make sense?

So first, I measured and cut enough strips of chiffon to make the two separate skirts.

The hot pink layers are 5 inches wide (though they look a little scrunched) and the pink layers are 2 inches wide.

The top chiffon tier is 180 inches (5 yards) long, the 2nd chiffon tier is 360 inches (10 yards), and the bottom ruffle is 1080 inches (30 yards).  Then do that twice……so you can make the 2 separate skirts.

Then, I learned a little trick on my Bernina to help the process (because I don’t have a ruffler foot but may invest in one after making this pettiskirt).  I adjusted the stitch length to the longest it would go…….

And then adjusted the tension wheel so that one thread was being pulled tighter than the other…….creating a ruffle in the fabric.  And then I tried it on my old machine……and it worked great too.  (So increase your stitch length like you normally would to create a ruffle, but then play around with your tension on some scrap fabric and watch as it ruffles your fabric.  Don’t backstitch at either end, and then you can still adjust the ruffle by increasing or decreasing the ruffle.)  Great, right?  It saved some time.

After you have practiced this technique on some scraps, stitch down the center of your 2 inch wide fabric, creating a nice ruffle.  See all of those ruffles?  That’s how ruffly the machine made the strip without me even trying.

But if you don’t like that technique, you can always sew a basting stitch and then do all of the ruffling on your own. (Need help? Visit this post here.)  Or you can just gather with your fingers and slide it under the needle as you sew.
 But this way, you can’t adjust the length of the ruffle when you’re done.Whatever you’re most comfortable with.  But get ready, you have 2 really long strips to ruffle.

Now, lay your ruffle down next to one of your 360 inch long layers. (The second 5 inch chiffon layer.)  You want the ruffle to be the same length as this layer……so pull on the end thread of your ruffle to adjust or release the ruffle a bit.

Then sew the 2 short ends of your 5 inch wide layer together, making a large circle.  Also, be sure that the fabric is not twisted at all.  Then attach the ruffle to right side of the bottom edge of this layer, attaching the ruffle about 1/4 inch up from the bottom.  And sew right down the center of the ruffle.

And when you get back to the beginning, just overlap the ruffle just a bit and backstitch several times.

The whole layer, with the ruffle along the bottom.

Next, you’re going to sew a basting stitch around the top of this bottom layer, a 1/4 inch from the edge…..so that you can gather it before attaching it to the next layer up.  I split this in half and sewed a basting stitch only along half of the top, stopped, left long thread ends…….and then made another basting stitch around the other half of the top.  This way, I could gather half of the top edge at a time.  And I used the same technique that I shared above, and adjusted the tension.  Then I didn’t have to gather as much…

Then grab the 180 inch long layer of chiffon and sew the ends together the same way as you did the longer layer……….and lay the two layers down next to each other.

Place the two layers together, with right sides together.  And adjust the gathering if you need to so that there is an even ruffle all the way around.  Pin the layers together.

All pinned along one side, ready to pin the other half.

Then sew the two layers together, right along that original basting stitch, about 1/4 inch seam allowance.  (Maybe a 1/3 inch seam allowance to hide some of the basting stitch.)

Do the same thing with the other layers you have cut, attaching the ruffles and creating gathers.  So now you have 2 identical pieces……….each with 2 tiers and the bottom ruffles.  Whew, lots of gathering.

Next, you’re going to cut a piece of satin that is 8 inches wide by 40 inches long.

On the wrong side of the fabric, iron on a piece of fusible interfacing that is 1/2 x 40 inches to each long edge of the satin.

Then sew the piece of satin together into a tube with right sides together.  Use a 1/2 inch seam allowance to sew those 2 ends together.  Then sew another seam, just to reinforce…..or zig-zag.  Whatever you’d like.

But be sure to leave an opening along the edge that is 1 inch wide.  This satin is 8 inches wide and will be folded in half to make the waist band.  So I measured in 4 inches, placed a pin, measured over an inch to the left, placed another pin, then made my seam……..but left the space between the two pins open.  Then made the next seam the same way, leaving the 1 inch space open.

The I folded the fabric down on itself in half, making a waistband, and making sure that the 1 inch opening was on the outside.  So this is a tube below, with a fold at the top and the raw edges at the bottom.

Then I ironed that top fold in place.

Then I measured down an inch from the top, all the way around the tube and put pins in as my markers.  (You could use chalk too.)

Then I followed the pins as I made a seam all the way around the tube….creating a casing for the elastic.

Then I cut a piece of elastic that was 6 inches shorter than I needed.  My little girls waist is about 20 inches, so I cut a piece of elastic that was 14 inches and 2 piece of ribbon that were 18 inches each.  Then I heat sealed the ends of the ribbon (with a lighter) and then sewed one end of each piece of ribbon to each end of the elastic.  Now the waistband is adjustable with a ribbon, yet allows for a snug fit from the elastic.

Then attach a safety pin to one end and slide the ribbon through the casing of the satin piece.

Pull all the way through, gather in the fabric, tie in a bow…….see how it works?
 ***And see how there is an outside layer and an inside layer to the waistband?

Now, untie the ribbon and just pin the ends to the skirt so that they’re not in the way during the next step.  Or just don’t even put the ribbon in until later.

Now, grab one of your ruffled layers and make a basting stitch along the top (1/4 inch seam allowance), just like you did above.  And make two separate basting stitches, halfway around each, like I explained above………it helps while you’re pinning.

Now pin this layer to the bottom front edge of the satin waistband……with right sides together.  But only pin to the outer layer of the waistband.  Make sure the inner layer of the waistband is out of the way.  Adjust the gathering where necessary and make sure that the gathers are evenly distributed around the satin layer.

Then sew into place, using a 1/4 – 1/3 inch seam allowance.  When you flip down the ruffled layer…….you will now start to see your skirt.

Now, gather the top of your other skirt layer the same way as the first one.  Turn the skirt and waist band inside out so that the other layer of the waistband is on the outside.

Now pin the wrong side of the chiffon layer to the right side of the satin layer……and pin in place.

Pin all the way around.

And sew into place, just like above.

Now, sew a top-stitch along the bottom edge of the satin, folding the raw edges (that are underneath) upwards, towards the top of the skirt, as you sew.  You will be sewing through the top layer of satin and then the little raw edge underneath as well.  So two layers of satin and some chiffon too.  Do this to both edges of the satin.

See the top-stitch along each edge of satin that is next to the chiffon?  (The seam in the middle is just the casing for the elastic.)

Are you still with me?

That’s it.

You’re done.

No more gathers or ruffling.  Whew.

Great work!

Now, really, wasn’t that all worth it?

Just look at all of that pettiskirt goodness…..

………secured in place by a sweet little ribbon on the hip.

Filed under Baby, Children, Clothing, Sewing

Comments

285 Responses to “Full and Fluffy Pettiskirt”
    Anderson says:

Holy cow! What a project! But what a result, too! (Sorry for the excessive exclamation points, lol.) Thank you for posting this tutorial. it must have been a ton of work! Now I just might attempt a pettiskirt- where I otherwise would be way too intimidated. Thank you!

!! :)

It looks like there is LOTS more than just two layers?!?!

• 1.1.1

How much did it cost you to make this? And is there more than two layers?

• 1.1.1.1
          Beth says:

If you use tulle to make a tutu version, I spent around $25. Price out the Chiffon on the website she posted. Shouldnt be more than $30. It is only 2 layers! Its sorta hard to sew – but you get the hang of it super quick!!

• Anonymous says:

Yeah it’s two layers, but the bottom tier (the bottom part with the ruffle attached) is done twice for each layer, so technically there are four bottom parts, which is what makes it look so fluffy ^_^

• 1.1.2

I follow the instructions but instead of 8 by 40 I did it 12 by 50 because my girl is 8 years old just two layers and it looks really fluffy.

Jen Allen says:

Well done on producing the most accessible tutorial on the net on how to make a pettiskirt. I’m halfway through mine for my 6 year old but I’m stalled because I can’t find satin the right colour. I have chosen the same colour scheme as yours and I went to your recommended suppliers but cannot make out the exact shade of satin to buy. I don’t suppose you could recommend a shade please? I’m so ready to finish this now:)

Aubrielle says:

Thank you Thank you Thank you!
    I've been looking for a tute for a skirt like this!

Melanie says:

Wow, now I know why they cost so much on etsy! Crazy! The fullness is awesome.

rebekah says:

I bought a pattern to make 3 for my girls for Christmas, and it wasn't explained half as well as this. You have managed to ease some of my hesitance to start. Thank you! For those considering buying a pattern, don't bother.

Hoffmann Family says:

Darling! I want to also know how you make the flower headband!!

ranger mom8 says:

there is a tutori on youtube about how to make chiffon flowers you make 4 rows of circles starting with a spool of thread and then a little larger until you have 4 different circles cut one edge of circle , use a candle to burn round edges then use glue gun to layer them its a beautiful flow made of nylon the directions came up when I looked for the petti skirt good luck

so cute! love it! I just order some chiffon, I showed your picture to my 3 yr old and she said I want one like that!!

Emily says:

Thanks for clarifying the Martha tutorial. Your little girl looks so happy! Maybe you should make one for yourself- you know, for dress up with your little girl. :)

DeLiGhT says:

great job on that skirt! …and look how happy she is to wear it! (so adorable) I only have boys :( but maybe… if I make a blue one??? nevermind. the headband thing is super cute and would love to see a closer look.
    keep up the good work, Ash.

Braden and Cheri says:

I have made 15 of these skirts and did a ton of research before starting. I watched that horribly done Martha tutorial (I think the lady wants home crafters to fail), read tons of others, and finally figured the whole thing out on my own. But your tutorial is by far the best I have ever seen. Absolutely phenomenal. I wish I had seen this a year about before I attempted my first…

Serena says:

Thank you for taking the time to make this tutorial!

Amy says:

I sew a ton, but I have been SO intimidated by petti skirts. I have also watched the MS tutorial, I was very disappointed. You have given me a renewed interest and ease of mind. I think I can do it now!

meredith franklin says:

wow that was a lot to take in! but i do want to attempt it! you did such a great job! man u are so talented!

LeAnn says:

Oh yeah, I agree with the others that the MS tutorial was specifically designed to make you think you can do it, and give up and buy theirs.

I've been making petti's for a long time now too. It takes a lot of work but your tutorial is very well done.

I use yardage for the tiers and the pre-cut rolls for the fluff on the bottom. I found this way saves me time and money. It's hard to explain why it saves me time, but let me just say that the way the rolls are cut, the gathers act differently. and when they are cut from yardage, they are easier to sew together.

A ruffler and serger are also big helpers on a project like this.

My daughter LOVES her skirts too

Good job!

The Harwood Family says:

Whew! I guess that explains why they cost so darn much at the store. One day, when I'm feeling ambitious, and my little lady is older (and will appreciate it more!) I will be making one of these. And, if you made that adorable headband, I would love to know how!

Taking Terrible ouT of Toddler says:

She looks so happy. I love to indulge my daughter too. Sometimes there are just some things you don't want them to miss out on! Ok, so I am really not a good sewer, but I am going to try. Thanks for the tutorial.

Matt and Rachel Bowden says:

Wow. You are amazing. I've been looking for a good tutorial on this for about a year and yours is so clear and easy. Now maybe I can make one for my niece! Your little girl looks so cute and happy what a good mom!

The Robinsons says:

I am IN LOVE. I can't wait to make this for dance (and twirly skirt) obsessed 4 yr. old daughter!

Thanks so much for sharing!

Heather says:

LOVE THIS!!! THanks for the tutorial.

Kari @ Ucreate says:

Ashley…all I can say is GORGEOUS!!

GaMtnScrap says:

Wow, an awesome job-both on the skirt and the tutorial! Your little girl is one lucky girl to have a mom so crafty as you! She definitely looked happy with her skirt in those pictures!

My mom made one of these for me many years ago because we wore them under our clogging dresses. If you're not familiar with clogging, it's a form of dancing–kind of like square dancing with all the whirls and twirls but add in some fancy footwork, too! Anyway, we wore these under our short little skirts to make all that whirling and twirling even more fun and pretty. Most everybody ordered theirs, but my mom said, "I can make that!" Well, bless her heart, she did and did a great job of it, and that was in the day before internet tutorials so she was totally on her own! But, it was definitely alot of work. No wonder when it came time to get another one (due to a color change in our "costumes") she just ordered one like everybody else! Ha ha!!

I always love coming to your site!

Cleverly Triple says:

you are AMAZING!!! it looks beautiful! Wish i had the time and patience to make one for my little girls!

Angie says:

That is so adorable! Your daughter is just the cutest little thing!

Judite Martins says:

I love your site!!!
    Brazil

Daydream Believer says:

LOVE! LOVE! LOVE!
    What a beautiful skirt! Thanks for sharing this awesome tutorial! :)

Leah says:

Adorable!! Can you post a tutorial for the headband? So so so cute!!

Mormishmom says:

Stop it! This is so much more logical than the tutorial I paid for on Etsy. Thank you so much for posting this! Maybe I'll actually finish the one I started 6 months ago :)

Michelle Evans says:

thanks! i've been wanting to do this for awhile and have seen martha's video too, but didn't trust myself to do it without more info. you've given me the go-ahead! thanks!

Cara says:

Wow, this is just precious! Would you mind sharing how you made the headband too? Or maybe that's a post to come?!?! :0)

Brenda says:

As cute as this is….I'm soooo glad my daughter is 23 now! PHEW!
    Brenda

Lori Thompson says:

I have always wanted to learn how to make those adorable skirts! THANKS for the great fun post!

Mrs. Doodle says:

Okay I feel like I should be sending you some cookies? brownies? a pound cake? SOMETHING!!! I mean WOW! You are awesome. I always love your stuff but this is over the top awesome! I will be making one now BECAUSE I now understand what that 5 minute segment on MS was trying to say! ha yours is so much better than anything else out there. Thank you for making this a free tutorial. Let me know what you would like in the sweets category:)

Kylie says:

You're my hero! Thank you so much! I looked at the Martha tute but was still at a loss. I feel some pettiskirt Christmast pressies coming on!

lorchick @ ON{thelaundry}LINE says:

awww, sadface, I was so near the end of checking out to buy that stuff, very impressed that it was like $15 for the supplies, but then shipping it to canada suddenly brought my total up to $37 :( If I ever find a way to buy this stuff without paying enough in shipping to practically just buy the skirt itself, I'm totally making this!

Wendy says:

This is when I WISH I could sew. I can't even thread my machine. Yes. I have a machine. Don't know how to thread it. Boo for me.

Twyla Gariepy says:

if you can't get tulle on a roll, then what? how can you translate that to fabric store items?

Alicia says:

This is a great tutorial! I'm bookmarking it to use later!

Gail says:

Ack! That is so sweet!! My daughter would be in love with a skirt like that. Thanks for the great directions. I might have to make one for her.

The six of us! says:

I saw that Martha show and could not figure it out, thanks for making sense of it in detail!

Bethany @ The Paper Pony says:

So cute! Thank you for all of the many hours of work you undoubtedly put into this awesome tutorial! Just lovely!

Melissa says:

M'kay, now I just have ot get me some no fray chiffon and we'll be off to the races! Fabulous skirt, and post. Thanks so much for sharing!

Photo Booth Girl says:

Awesome! Thank you so much for doing this. I too have seen the Martha video, but this gives me the green light to go ahead and make one for my little *loves to twirl* girl.

The McGraths says:

I've seen LOTS of pettiskirt tutorials and this is BY FAR the EASIEST one I've seen! Thanks a bunch for posting it!

Aleisha says:

THANK YOU! I have had the fabric for this project for a long time, I saw the same MS segment, and have been searching around for a long time for a tutorial on how to make this. This is going to be great!

Jared & Tristan says:

That is absolutely amazing!! WOW!

Mochi Needlecraft Home says:

THANK YOU SOO MUCH for the amazing tutorial. I soooo want this pettiskirt for my daughter.

Amanda says:

I cannot say thank you enough for this tutorial. I made a pettiskirt for my daughter for her 1st birthday last Sept. using Martha's info. I was able to make it but it was definitely not as easy as it could be. I swore I would never make one again. After seeing this, I am ready to attempt one again! YOU ROCK!

* a i s y a h * says:

Insanely beautiful! Love every bit of it! Thank you so much for the tute!

The Nelson Family says:

Thank you!! I can't wait to make my girls some! Did you make the flower clip to?? Its adorable!!!

Sandy (Your Life, Organized) says:

Looks beautiful! And you make it look so easy! I just don't think it will be! :-)

Helping you Store what matters most!

Rachel says:

I have been wanting to make one of these but found the video on Martha really confusing. Thank you so much for this tutorial–I'm excited to try it!

Carissa Rasmussen says:

please help!! I want to make one of these for a newborn and don't have any idea how to adjust the yardage to fit a tiny little 7-8lb baby! Any suggestions?

Also, thanks for posting the sites where you buy the chiffon, that is sooo helpful!

please respond to [email protected] if you have any hints!

RealLiveHousewife says:

Saw your tut online this morning. Found $1 yard nylon chiffon at Walmart, came home, spent 6 hours and I'm done! Ha! I love it. Can't wait for my daughter to get up in the morning and see it. Thanks so much. Your pictures are so much better than the video.

Lissy says:

WOW!

Mimi says:

You must to a tutorial on how to make that darling headband. Love, love, love it!

The Richins Family says:

oh my goodness, thank you so much for posting this and tutorials. i have been craving one for my daughter forever but can't pay $80 bucks for it. i am SO happy that i get to make one for her and she alrady picked out her colors. Thank you, thank you, thank you! jenny

Malina says:

This makes me want to buy one, because that is a lot of work! But I was able to follow all the directions and think I could make it if I had the time and inclination. Great tutorial

TJ and Stephanie says:

WOW! That skirt looks awesome! Thanks for the tutorial. Maybe now I'll have the courage to actually try one!!

Maria says:

Oh WOW! Thank you so much for what must have been a lot of time and effort putting together this tutorial! I have always loved the pettiskirts, but couldn't buy one for the $80 they cost. And I have looked at lots of online tutorials that make no sense to me at all. But this – THIS makes sense! And it is SO beautiful! My little almost 3 year old daughter came by me when I was looking at it and said, "Mommy I want the pwetty dwest!" So I think I will have to make it for her…and there was and is no way I could before this tutorial. Thanks Ashley!!! (ANd like others have said, I love the headband too—would love to make it as well!)

Margaret says:

THANK YOU!! I have been wanting to make these and have found a lot of tutorials, including the one from Martha's website, but your gives some of the info I was looking for like how much chiffon to buy!! Thanks!

Juli says:

Hi, I found your website through another one I was browsing, and how lucky I was!
    Your posts are so inspirational, thanks for sharing all these wonderful things and I absolutely loved this skirt!
    I'm new to the sewing machine, but I'll definetely make it for my lil princess as soon I feel confident enough to do so.
    Congratulations, your website is AMAZING! Thanks for sharing!

Andrea @ TheTrainToCrazy.com says:

I've been thinking of making this skirt for a year now. Yours looks great!!

Angel says:

Wow…just in time! I really wanted to make my daughter one of these for her birthday since there isn't any 'stuff' she is asking for and she always wants frilly fun dress up. Thank you!!!

My problem is that she is a size 6x or 7, so I'd need to make it bigger. Can I have your expert opinion on whether I should make the tiers wider (7 inches instead of 5, etc) or an extra tier??? What about for the waist? She is pretty slim so it may be fine as is, just a little more elastic/room in the satin band?? Any help would be so appreciated!!! Her birthday is the end of August, so I'd love to order the fabric so I could work on it soon.

Hey Angel, yes, I would increase the width to about 6-7 inches for the chiffon and then add another 2 inches to the width of the satin (so that after you fold it in half, it will add 1 inch to the length). So make the satin 10 inches wide instead of 8 inches. Make sense? But I guess depending on how tall she is, I'm thinking another 3 inches would be long enough, but to add another inch or two on top of that, would assure a long enough skirt. (But I wouldn't bother adding another tier.)

Ash says:

Wow, you are A-MAZING. My daughter's birthday is in a month and I wanted to make her one of these! Thank you thank you!

The Ward Family says:

OMG! I've been wanting to try one forever now! Thank you! Thank yoU!

Val says:

Wonderful project my wife would love to try this! Really cute.

Angel says:

Ashley–THANK YOU! I think I'm going to order some fabric now…You are beyond awesome and this is going to make a great present!

Tanisha says:

Gorgeous!!! I only have boys, but we have some lovely little girls in our lives that would love this!!

Thanks for the great tutorial. Some parts are a little fuzzy, but I am certain that once I actually have it physically in front of me, it will make sense.

I love your site!

daisymay aka Chantele says:

Wow. I wanna make one in adult size!! Oh when I get some time I am so on the hunt for some fabric like that to make me one! Daisy Dayz Home

daisymay aka Chantele says:

Mom O' Nine says:

The pettiskirt is totally amazing. I wondered how you would do one….wonderful tutorial. It is kind of my "worst nightmare" kind of sewing with the length, ruffling involved, but so adorable.

Theresa C. Eldridge says:

Your a rock star! That is amazing! Love it! Thank you for all your work and sharing with us!!!

Lise says:

Thank you SOOOO MUCH for posting this! Finally a CLEAR way of making a pettiskirt. (I was confused on how much of the nylon to buy and in what width) My two little sweet peas will be over the moon. You ROCK!

PatriciaRaeDesigns says:

holey macaroni love it thanks so much for posting how to makes these i'm going to go make a hole bunch now i have two girls and all nieces

Amanda

grumpybear808 says:

Holy cow that is a lot of work but so worth it for the smile it got you! I just might be able to make one with your great step by step instructions. Thank you for sharing!

Mindy says:

Thanks so much for a great tutorial. I used the ruffle technique plus your shrug re purposing post to make a shrug for my daughter out of an old shirt of mine. It turned out perfect! I might be addicted to adding ruffles to everything now. Love your blog!

Cornelia says:

Thank you so much for this, from a South African Mommy

My Fashion Fun says:

Awesome!! I've seen these skirts and have been wanting to make one. Great tutorial!! Thank you so much.
    myfashionfun.blogspot.com

Audrea Ratliff says:

You are TRUELY a God-send!!! I search online for an hour and couldn't find anything to step by step show with pictures how to make something like this and then…POOF! I found this AMAZING post. Girl, you totally rock! Thank you so very much from the bottom of my heart. I wanted to make one for my daughter for her 2nd birthday and my wish is coming true. THANKS!!!

Melanie says:

I am supposed to get the fabric to make this for 4 of my nieces today. I am a little scared, but I never would have attempted it without this tutorial!! Thanks!

Inese says:

Wow!!! It’s so beautiful!!!
    Thank you so much for this great tutorial

I would love to make this same thing for a friend who is due in November. Any idea how to convert this size down…a lot?

Kristen Kaufman says:

Love it! This is the best tutorial I've seen. Thanks! You just saved me a lot of money!

Heather - says:

Wow!! Thank you so much for making this awesome tutorial available for free.
    I also wanted to let you know that I linked to this post from my blog. :)

Devawn says:

Wow!!! I just want to say how talented and patient you are. I would have never attempted to try to make one of these, but really wanted to. Now that I have read your tutorial, I feel so much better about trying one. They are so adorable and sweet looking. I want to thank you so much. Now if I could find an easy tutorial on basic hairbows…. Thanks again, Devawn

LisaBob says:

I made it and my 3 year old daughter LOVES it!!! Thanks for the tutorial!!!

amy_k190 says:

This is the best description I've seen for a pettiskirt. What won me over is the links to AFC so you don't have to cut strips and strips of chiffon just to sew them all together. the right width and length so no cutting or extra sewing. Thank you so much. You must be proud of this blog. You sure did simplify the process for a working mom with little time.

brittney says:

Just made one for my newborn niece. Turned out BEAUTIFUL! Thanks so much for the tutorial!

Lauren says:

Love this tutorial, and I've been dying to make a pettiskirt. I've read your post about 10,000 times, so I think I'm finally ready to try it out. :) I'm going to purchase chiffon from the link you posted, since I can't find nylon chiffon anywhere in town, but I'm always wary of trying to select colors from an online palette, especially since on my computer, all the lighter color pinks just look white. Would you mind sharing with us the names of the shades of pink you used? Thanks! :)

Lauren, I bought the fuschia and the light pink. They worked out great. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

Jessica says:

How do I make smaller sizes like newborn 3-6 month, 6-9 month, etc.? Please help thanks! And btw your tutorials are AMAZING!!!!

Lauren says:

Thanks! Can't wait for my chiffon to arrive so I can try this out!

Melanie says:

I had to stop by and thank you for your inspiration! I teamed up with my sister and 2 other friends and ordered a big lot of chiffon to save on price and shipping. The total came to $13 each including chiffon, satin, ribbon, and elastic. What a savings! For anyone else making more, there's a thread of tips at sewmamasew that was really helpful. I sewed from the bottom up as the suggested and combined with your tut, it turned out great!

Crystal Cooper says:

Thank you so much for this awesome tutorial!!! I will be making one this week. Just curious on how much materials you would suggest for a size 8?? Thanks!

Marina says:

I love your blog!! We featured your awesome tutorial over at justsewsassy.com
    You are so talented!

MooMoo Mama says:

Thanks for posting this, After trying this a few times I finally got the hang of it! I was clueless about using the tension in lieu of a ruffler foot. I have a RF now, but before I got it this was working fine for me. Again…a big thanks. I would have never been able to create perfect pettiskirts without your instructions.

Jen and Sam says:

When you say that you cut your "strips" did you cut smaller strips within the yards for the second and third tier? Or is each tier one long strip??? THANK YOU

Jen and Sam – Each tier is one long strip because I bought the fabric pre-cut on long rolls. But if you had to sew smaller strip together to make them long enough, that would work too! Good luck!

Mi-ju says:

Amazing! Simple and effective!

AWW THIS IS SOO GOOD… i've bought these off ebay for my photography studio, but actually having a pattern to make them is simply perfect… i can't wait to make this THANKS SOO MUCH

eve11 says:

Hi there, I'm looking to make a pettiskirt for my niece for underneath a "princess dress"— I want it to mimic a hoopskirt/farthingale but just with the petticoats. It looks like your pattern might work but I think I would have to either make the layers a bit longer or add a third layer? Do you have any suggestions? Thanks, Rhiannon

i purchased a pattern off another site for 10 dollars and i actually made my first pettiskirt with that pattern. then i found this! i love the way the yoke is done on this so much easier than the way i had been instructed! i purchased a ruffler foot to use and i must say it saved me time but they are not accurate you still have to adjust the gathers. i am working on my second pettiskirt now and i am going to alter it using your instructions! thanks!

Jen says:

Just started sewing this project last night can't wait to finish. I bought it by the yard and over estimated my yardage, so instead of making 2 (I have 2 girls) I can make 3! But I have a 3rd little girl in mind though (My cousin's daughter.

Kem says:

Thanks for this great tutorial! I think I may actually try it now. Keep up the good work!

brenda says:

Could anyone tell me how to adjust the measurements for an adult size with 4 tiers? thank you so much…

Dollybird says:

Thank you so much for this wonderful tutorial. I made one for my 9 year old to go under the Cinderella costume (also wonderful – thank you!). I made a longer length one out of bridal tulle as that is all that was available locally and it is really quite beautiful (if I do say so myself!). My daughter absolutely loves it!

Kari says:

As soon as I found this I ordered the fabric and was so excited when it came. I haven't sewn in a while, but have a 2yr old niece who loves being girly I showed her the picture and she was very excited. Took me 2 days, and thats while working and dealing with 2 little boys running round the house! It came out great. However Its a christmas present so she hasn't got it yet and the only model I have here is my 1 yr old son…but I'm sure she will look beautiful on christmas morning! Thanks so much for the easy/clear instructions or I would have never dared to try it!

maya says:

i am really glad to found u in this crowd. i was looking for skirt like that. u just a super cool mom :happy:

Melissa says:

Thanks so much for the tutorial! Does anyone know how to measure for the skirt though. I have a 3 month old itty bitty baby. (she was a preemie) Can someone tell me how to measure the fabric to fit her. I assume everything is based off her waist. So if I can get a starting point it would be great! I really want to make her one to meet Santa! Any help would me immensely appreciated!

Angel Ogamba says:

This tutorial is absolutely wonderful!! I have searched for MONTHS trying to find a tutorial and had finally given up until I came across this one. I can't wait to make mine this weekend. Thank you so much.

Bonnie says:

Amazing!!! Thank you so much for sharing… I just finished my niece's pettiskirt, and now on to my little girl's! I know they are going to LOVE them!!

I have been so excited to make this skirt, but I have been battling with it for a week now! My machine keeps "eating" the nylon chiffon (and tearing holes in it)when I'm shirring it with the ruffler foot. What am I doing wrong?

Veronica says:

Love this tutorial!!! But can you post a sizing chart? I have three that i want to make (size 7, 2, and newborn).

Thank you so much! I have been looking for a good tutorial for a while and this is the best by far (much better than martha steward's) :)I'm looking forward to reading the rest of your blog.

HeatherThompson says:

My husband and I LOVE the look of a petticoat for a little girl. We've been trying to find a pretty one for our baby girl for some time now. Unfortunately they all run at least $100. I am so grateful for this tutorial because I know I can make this for her. I showed it to the husband and he would like for me to make several for our daughter. I am in fluff heaven. :D

HeatherThompson says:

Ashley, one thing I did not think to ask, do you have any idea of the sizes for 18-24 or 2T? I can sew, but sizing has always been hard for me. Thank you so much again for sharing this amazing tutorial. Your daughter is very beautiful by the way.

LaughingMagpie says:

Thank you for this excellent tutorial!

I used it to make a pettiskirt and it turned out adorably (even though I got lazy and just made it one layer – it was still beautifully full and bouncy!)

Just one thing, I'm pretty sure in the step:

"Then sew the piece of satin together into a tube with wrong sides together."

I think you mean right sides together? That's also what the picture shows I think – right sides together – and that's what I did when making mine.

Thank you again!

pearl says:

how do i make a size 14 pettiskirt i don't have a sewing machine

Elizabeth says:

If it helps I have a daughter who is 21 months and has an 18.25in waist so I looked at the formula they have which is double the inches for a normal pleat layer and triple for the Fluff ruffle on the bottom layer and did 37 inches for the satin layer, 2 yards for the first tier 4 yards for the second tier and 12.50 yards for the ruffle on the bottom and it worked out great.

maggstah says:

I have sewn for years and made all of my (2)daughter's prom dresses, so I'm not afraid of large projects. But the MS tutorial made me want to just buy a pettiskirt for my granddaughter's first birthday. Thank you so much for this one, I am looking forward to tackling this project and making a very special first birthday outfit my my pretty princess!!

Bronwyn says:

Fabulous tutorial. Very well illustrated. I too went through your process of watching the Martha tute and then going away and working it out myself! My only difference was to make it flat, and turn it into a tube at the end – you can see my process at my blog.
    Best wishes.

Myranda Brooks says:

this was really cool to see how its made. im a teenager though, and have been asking for a skirt like this for years. of course they are uber expensive and my mom says no, but this is a great way for me to get it, we would just have to tweak the measurements, lol.
    this was uber helpful.

kourtney says:

Fabulous! I have been wanting to make these for my girls, but was overly confused by Martha's tutorial & refuse to spend $$ when I can make it myself! Great job on the directions… I feel totally confident & will be ordering my chiffon… we have a ladybug party coming up & I think a polka dot satin would be PERFECT!!! :D
    THANKS!!!

moesey says:

Thanks so much for your tutorial – i am finally tackling this! Adjusting the tension made gathering the bottom ruffle SO EASY. Now I'm sewing to the bottom of the skirt and it's soooo twisted – did you take the time to pin it so it didn't twist?? Untwisting it is making me bonkers. Thank you!
    Maureen

Canadian Princess says:

LOVE IT!

Just a question, I want to make one for my daughter's first birthday but wondered how much chiffon you thought I should order? Do you have any thoughts? I'm sure you get a million emails a day so not to worry if you don't get back to mine;)

Lisa says:

Just finished my pettiskirt for my 3 year old. I ordered from the place suggested. It was super quick shipping! I left your tutorial up on my laptop while I made it (it took a couple of days of nap times to complete). The ruffling tip was AWESOME and saved tons of time…my suggestion to anyone about to make this is this #1. Measure everything twice! #2. REALLY play around with the tension for the ruffling trick it is better to go less ruffly then more because it is easier to adjust once you line the layers up. I am a home ec teacher and thinking of teaching a course for adult night school on how to make this lovely skirt. Thanks again for all the time you spent putting it together!

I swear it looks like these skirts are more than just 2 layers of chiffon. It seems as if there is 2 layers of chiffon to each skirt piece. I just don't see how they can be so full with only 2 layers.

Ok, Im halfway through…whew! ….. I can do it!
    But I just realized I don't have fusible interfacing. :( How important is that????

Thank you!!! Wonderful tutorial!!! :)

Lana @ SweetJilliBeanz.com says:

Love your tutorial!
    Call me lazy, but there was no way I was going to ruffle that much fabric without using my ruffler! My first one took many, many hours (errors on my part), but the second one took about 3 hours! I want to make another one for my daughter and I think I found the perfect birthday gift to make for my daughters friends!

Heather Seeley says:

That is super cute!!! :) I am not great at sewing so I bought my little girls a pettiskirt from http://thecraftymoms.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2010-06-01T08:10:00-06:00&max-results=1

they are $20 and super cute!! I think for me that is the best idea until I can learn to sew better. if you do get one from crafty moms tell them Heather Seeley referred you I get a $5 credit ;)

Lindsay says:

I own an etsy shop & I make & sell some petti skirts & yes they are definently a project! Worth every minute though:) What I do though instead of using a ruffle foot or gathering or any of that, I use elastic thread(I get it @ Joanns or Hobby Lobby by the elastic)on my bobbin. Major ruffles it for you & NO GATHERING!

You do not need the fusible interfacing. I just did a zig-zag along the edges just like a serger will do & that will keep the satin from fraying- turned out great on both that I have made!

OHANA says:

I have a ton of tulle… Can I use tulle for this? Any tips?

jennifer says:

i know this reply is only 7 months late but…. i just made one from tulle and it turned out great. the tulle sticks to itself a lot – it’s really “grabby” – but after i got used to working with it, i learned how to handle the tulle to minimize the snagging. it’s not as soft as the chiffon so my daughter will wear leggings under the skirt to prevent the tulle from making her legs itchy. if you still have the tulle, i say go for it!

Posh Baby Boutique says:

This is really cool info on how to make a Petti! I wish I could my own skirts for my store to sell. It doesnt look to hard but I have arthritis so it could be a little painful to do all that sewing. It does look like alot of work but I know I could do it and have fun creating new designs and color combos! Thank you for sharing! Great work maybe I can get you to make some for my store customers!

KatieS says:

Thank you so much for all the time you put into this. I am just wondering though if the one your daughter is wearing in the photos has 4 layers instead of 2? If so did you put 2 on each side of the satin?

I love this tutorial! It's so easy to understand. I want to make two of these. One for my grandaughter and one for a little girl at church. I love the colors you chose but could not find "bright pink" on the color chart. Is it, perhaps "magic pink"? Or "fuscia" Thanks, Kate~

I just finished it! It was lot of gathering and ruffing but it worth. What a great tutorial. Thanks for sharing your talents. I wish I could wear one of those skirts but I'm to old for that.

Thanks Again!!!!

thelifeofaParish says:

i LOVE the tutorial. How can I make it for a 12 month? what would the measurements be? thanks!!

maggstah says:

Made one using this tutorial and it came out amazing!! I didn't use a ruffler, but I did use the hint of adjusting the bobbin tension. It worked like a charm!! Going to make another one….. my 1 year old granddaughter looked do cute!!

Brandy says:

Do you have the measurements for the petti you made for your 1 yo granddaughter? I’m going to try to make one for my daughter.

Krystle L says:

This was incredibly easy! Thank you! I've posted a link back here on my blog-www.daisysgarden.ca

Ive made almost 10 of these using this tutorial…and I want to thank you so much!!! They are HARD WORK but so rewarding!! Ive had lots of fun playing with different sizes and different techniques.

THANK YOU! :)

Michelle in Australia says:

Fantastic skirt, great tutorial.
    Thanks for posting this.

Brie says:

I just made a pettiskirt for my niece. It turned out SO pretty and my 4yo son is trying it on right now :). I have a broken leg, so by ordering on rolls, I saved myself a ton of work. Absolutely beautiful, and great instructions to follow.

Dan and Paige says:

Thank you so much for this tutorial! I am excited to start my skirts for my two daughters. I have bought the chiffon from the the website you listed and I think I may have chose the same skirt color as you did. Were you able to find a satin that matched pretty well? In your picture they seem to the same color. Where did you find it? I don't have too many fabric stores in my area, but just went to a Joanns and none of them matched close enough. Thanks for your help!

I think I bought that satin at Hobby Lobby. Or maybe Hancock fabric. But I'm pretty sure it was Hobby Lobby. Good luck and have fun making them! :)

Kayla says:

Hi I so adore this skirt. Thanks for the tut. I really want to make one but for me. Im 5'2 and plus size. How much fabric would I need for a 2 layered or 3 layered skirt?

GGJ says:

I cannot tell you how many times a week for the last four months that j have read and re read these instructions:) lol! My daughter's skirt I'd still in the making…however, I make tutus and I applied parts of your method to making a tiered tutu and the result wad awesome! Thank you so much for your very on point instructions and for the inspiration!!:)

HaleyLeann says:

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! Thanks to your tutorial, my daughter and niece looked beautiful for Easter! Thank you so much for sharing. http://bit.ly/k2IiiG

Hi there! Thank you ever so much for the amazing tutorial!!! However as I am making my daughters petti, I am stuck at the part where you are attaching the chiffon to the satin, it appears as though I should have 2 not 1 big LONG pieces of the chiffon layers? I thought the second piece in the segment was for the second skirt? I'm trying to figure out how to attach my one longgg piece to the both sides of the satin?!?! Please help!!!!!! Thank you!!!!!!!

Brooke says:

I absolutely love this and was wondering if you know a round about measurement i would need for an infant 0-3 months, i really want to make one for my daughter for her first portrait and can't figure out the measurements!!!

Emily says:

Haha! Was wondering about your best guess on reducing for a 12 to 18 month size. I can figure out the waist and satin part but dont know how much to knock off the yards of fluff. I did get the three inch rolls to adjust length I could make the same and let it be fuller, I'd never find the baby in the middle :D. Love all your work, just found it and promptly ordered fabric, just need a fancy schmancy machine for Christmas…

Brittany says:

I have never seen such a wonderful tutorial before. i was going to try to make one of these skirts for myself for a costume party since they were so expensive. i have been looking for ages for a decent tutorial but everyone replies with “just buy one its too hard” now i know its not. Your explanations and pictures are wonderful and have helped me a great deal to make one of my own thankyou so much, now all my friends want me to make one for them too :)

Callie says:

hi there! Love your blog and can’t wait to try this tutorial. I actually want to make one for myself to wear with cowboy boots and was wondering if you could suggest the tier lengths and the satin waist band for me? I am 5’7″ and wear a size 10. (about a 30-31″ waist) Thanks in advance!

Miki says:

I was just wondering how you would go about converting measurements to make one to fit a teenaged girl?

Teresa says:

This is wonderful. Thank you for the how too’s

Amanda says:

WOW!!!! I wish I read this tutorial before I attempted the >horrible< Martha tutorial. Apparently, I used the chiffon that frays :/ The pettiskirt tutorial on Martha's site must be a 2t-4t, bc I followed the instructions perfectly and it is higher than mid thigh on my 7 yo . The fray is an embarrassment and out of control.

Your tutorial couldn't have been better written!! I may give this another go, but I will follow your tutorial and measurements instead! Thx for sharing!!

Terri says:

Thanks so much for this tutorial. I am confident I can make my granddaughter one when the time comes! :)

Leslie says:

I also need help with sizing! I want to make this in a 12-18 month size… Help!!

Sadia says:

Fantastic tutorial, but WOW that’s a lot of fabric. (Of course, princesses don’t skimp, do they?)

Mallory says:

hi, how long does this project normally take for a first timer? I’m trying to see if I have enough time to make one for my daughters first birthday! Thanks

Julie says:

This tutorial is awesome and I LOVE your blog! I made this skirt for my daughter and plan to take her 1year pictures in it. I reversed the colors (light pink satin and skirt with darker pink ruffle) and it took me about 3 hours total to complete (on and off over a few days). I ordered the fabric from the company you suggested after getting samples of each color. They were great to work with and I would recommend them! I made the waistband the same size as yours (since it’s adjustable it didn’t matter) and ordered the 4″ chiffon for the two chiffon tiers. It turned out perfect and her 1 year photos will be beautiful (she’s 9 months now)! Thanks for posting this!

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! This is the BEST tutorial I have ever read! I appreciate you posting this, and I know my girls will love it!

cristina says:

Wow it was a project, especially since this was my third time sewing, but i just finished my pettiskirt and can’t wait for my daughter to wear it tomorrow. Thank you for the great tutorial. Now when i close my eyes i see ruffles… so many ruffles. But oh so cute.

Natalia says:

I have been wanting to make one of these for a long time and hade no clue where to start. Thank you so much for these instructions. They are awesome!!

Jill says:

I was just curious…..if i need an infant pettiskirt would i use the same amount of fabric or could i cut it down by a few yards???

So cute ideas to sew for little princess. i like it very much. thankssss

Becca says:

This was so easy to follow… My daughter LOVES it!!!

Katelynnn011 says:

did anyone figure out some sort of conversion chart?! i want SO badly to make this for my 15 month old.

Virginie says:

Hi! I just wanted to say how I enjoyed reading your tutorial: great tips (especially if you don’t have a gathering foot) so I linked this post to my blog here http://www.vivibijoux.com with other tutorials on pettiskirts. smile, Virginie

vanessa says:

I see you made the skirt to fit a 3t/4t, but what amount of yards would I use to make a 2t or maybe even smaller, like 18 months???

karomanah says:

thank you so so so much , your tutorial was a great help for me>>>I have done one for my daughter>>it made her very happy ….. i will make another one for me …..but not now ……I need a break >>>>your tut. is my favorite one >>>thanks again
    greetings from Egypt :)

Michelle says:

So, so darling! My friend made one for each of her daughters (she has 3!) and they are darling! I would like to make one too, but I was wondering if you could help me out with the sizing. She’s turning 1 next month. Thanks so much for your help and for sharing your time and talent with us!
    Cheers,
    Michelle

MadeByMeg says:

Thank you so much for the picture instructions! You did such a better job of explaining it than Martha!

MamaLJ says:

WOW!!!! I want to do this so bad but I am sooo scared to start!!! Maybe I’ll get the guts soon!

Jacqueline says:

I love your tutorial. I just finished my first skirt and i am very happy. I made mine for a 12 month old so I made a few changes. the waist measure for my daughter is 18in so I just adjusted for that. I made the skirt pieces 4in instead of 5in. The big change was since I left all of the other measurements the same I only needed one layer and it was very fluffy. I think if I had added a second layer the skirt would have been too heavy for her. So if you want a 12 month or smaller skirt either just use one layer of adjust the amount of yards in each tier and ruffles.

Allison says:

How did you find out the correct measurements? I would like to make 2. One for a size 2T and another for a size 5T. Is it just the waistband that would be different??

jazmine says:

I love this Tutorial best one online if you know how to alter a pattern because im not using chiffon but tulle.
    I have 2 halloween costumes to sew and I was so worried about it!
    But this totally saved my life I will always be in debt to you lol thanks

rwect says:

Any tips on washing???
    I did actually make this for our babe’s 1st b’day, sooo cute- excellent tute! be proud
    However as there’s was no time for international shipping (to Australia) i bought the silk chiffon (yardage)at our local, it does fray :( little bit sad about that, still looks gorgeous. Anyhow, when i washed, the silk crinkled, not making it very ruffly anymore, and i had to iron it out- very tedious….any tips?
    Thanks in advance

Erica says:

This is so cute! What model sewing machine do you have?

Amber says:

is there anyway you could tell me what the measurements would be for a 18-24month baby?
    i absolutely love this tutorial and am super excited to start making one for my little girls.

Heidi says:

WOW! This was an excellent project for school this term, i saw it and thought i had to make one for my little cousin thats visiting! Im fiftteen with not much sewing experience but managed to make this in about three days with a little white singlet with chiffon flowers to match :) thanks so much ! x

Laura says:

Thank you so much for posting.
    I very much want to make my granddaughter a petticoat out of cotton and lace and wonder if you think any changes from your instructions are required.
    I’ve made her a plaid “old fashioned” dress and want to finish it off with and oldfashioned looking under the dress petticoat.

Thank you and I look forward to your reply
    Laura.

TRacy Coyne says:

I would like to make a petticoat for under a flower girl dress, would this work, just adding more layers of and since it is for a 5 yr old maybe making it wider that 5 inches ? Any advice would be great. I have a 2 and 5 yr old in the wedding and it adds up quick with hair, shoes, dress so I would like to attempt to save a little money and make this myself.

Wow! Thank you so much for sharing!!!!! I’ve been trying to figure this out and failing miserably!!! :))

Amy says:

Almost finished with one for my granddaughter. Thanks so much!

Kira says:

Great tutorial! I just finished my first pettiskirt and it came out soooo cute!!!

Tammy says:

Thank you for an awesome tutorial! Yours is the best I’ve found. All the details and pictures are right on! Unfortunately, these chiffon rolls are awesome to work with! I learned not to unroll them or measure then re-roll them back to prevent them from twisting like crazy! :)

Tammy says:

Thanks again! Made mine and it looks great! So cute! I only wish I have a little girl to model it for me!

Maria says:

Not sure if my previous comment was submitted…

Thank you so so much for such a great tutorial! This was my very first sewing project, and even though I have a few crooked seams on the my skirt, it turned out great! Your instructions were very easy to follow and understand!

You can see my skirt here:

Carmen says:

I made it!! Woohoo! Thanks for the *extremely* simple to follow pattern instructions…amazing! I made the skirt in the exact colors you did which will work so perfectly for the Valentine’s party on Tuesday.

Thanks again! <3
    Carmen

Beth says:

Thank you thank you thaaaank you!! Made a tutu version of this skirt for my nieces birthday and I had little twirling 5yr olds running around in tutu pettiskirts! it was amazing!! So simple and easy to follow!

LR says:

Whoa! That pink color is so bright!

susanreneewa says:

This tutorial was absolutely brilliant! All of your instructions were spot on and the photos were immeasurably helpful. I’m also extremely grateful for your inclusion of the website from which to buy the chiffon. I just finished all but the elastic for the waist as I forgot to buy it. My God, though, the gathering. Holy moly, I am so happy I was able to buy a gathering foot today as I thought I was going to go mad. I could feel the chiffon swallowing me whole. I imagine the next time will go much more quickly. Thank you!!

Kate Anderson says:

Hey! Just wanted to say I LOVE your blog! And, I have a question: How many role(s) would I need to purchase for a girls 14/16 size? Thanks!
    -Kate

Arlene says:

Great skirt! I am looking at making a size 10 for a girl, do you know how much fabric and rolls I would need to do that size? Thanks!

Trine says:

Hi there

Thank you so much for this fantastic tutorial. I’ve just finished my first pettiskirt using your tutorial. Hope it’s okay that I’ve linked to you on my blog.

Hugs from Denmark,
    Trine

mary says:

Why cant i use rolls of tulle?

Kris says:

Thank you so much! I spent hours on the internet yesterday looking for info on making a pettiskirt, and your tutorial is really outstanding. I love the way your pictures clarify the directions; after poring over your tutorial, I feel as if I could (almost) make a pettiskirt with my eyes closed, you make it all so clear.

I ordered the satin, and the nylon chiffon on rolls, from http://www.afc-express.com/nylon-chiffon.html yesterday, and can’t wait for them to arrive so I can get started.

I’m going to make a size 6 pettiskirt, and bought
    1 yard poly deluxe satin ($6.11–a yard is the least they sell); 7″ chiffon roll x 60 yards long ($17.95), and 3″ chiffon roll x 90 yards long ($10.92). This was $34.98 plus $10.59 shipping = $45.57.

For those who, like me, want to make a larger pettiskirt than you describe, here are some size descriptions I have found on the internet on various pettiskirt websites:

Size 4-6x years: 15″ long
    Size 7-9 years : 16″ long
    Medium = age 4 to 9 Waist goes from 18-24 inches, 14″ Long
    Toddler (3T-5T): Waist 22-24 inches and Length 13 inches
    Little Girl (6X-8): Waist 25-28 inches and Length 14 inches

Here’s where to find out how much material to buy : http://www.creativechaosblog.com/2009/09/pettiskirt-sewing-instructions-tips_24.html

Thank you again for your truly great pettiskirt directions!

Kris says:

I finished my pettiskirt today! It’s beautiful, but took me an INSANE amount of time to make. I’m embarrassed to say that it took me several days. My children are grown; I made this for my granddaughter. I don’t know how women with children at home manage to find enough time to do this.

Next time I make one, it won’t take me as long. This is how addictive this project is– I am actually thinking about making another one, even though it was a thoroughly exasperating and time-consuming project. I could have bought a lovely one for around $100, and considering that the materials cost me $46, for only $54 more I could have saved tons of time.

One big reason it took me so long is that I had to trim my 3″-wide chiffon roll down to 2″ wide, because the fluff looked too big when it was 3″ wide. And I cut the 7″-wide chiffon roll down to 5.5″, because 7″-wide turned out to be too wide.

Your tip about changing the tension on the sewing machine to gather the chiffon really worked. I have an old Singer, and just increased the top thread tension (not the bobbin tension), and that worked great, especially after I learned to give myself about 10″ of loose thread from both top thread and bobbin when I began and ended each row of stitching, so I’d have slack to use in adjusting the ruffles to fit the next tier. You are less likely to break the thread when adjusting the ruffles if you have gathered the tier in halves, i.e., stitch to the middle of the tier, and cut the threads (after giving yourself 10″ tails!!!!), and then start at the middle of the tier (give yourself 10″ starting tails!) and stitch to the end (give yourself 10″ tails!!!).

Your instructions are outstanding; many thanks for sharing them! Here’s another website that I thought was helpful, too:

Mari smith says:

You are so sweet to give out such thorough instructions and links. Thanks!

Brandi says:

If I want to make a 9″ skirt with a 17″ waist, how would I adjust the measurements? Also, did you have leftover chiffon or did you use it all? I’m trying to decide how much I want/need to buy.

Thanks :)

Anita says:

Wow !! You nailed it. I bought enough chiffons to.make my granddaughter four skirts.thank you for the wonderful instructions.

SAHMof2 says:

Gah! I have ruffled my 60yard roll (2inches) into one 10yard piece thinking I would magically end up with 30 yards and cut it in two pieces. I am 20 yards too tight right?

Any “nerve saving” tips on how to fix this. I know I should have unravelled my roll and cut them into two 30 yard pieces like you did but it was just so nice and tidy in the 60 yard roll!!!

Could I somehow cut the 10 yard ruffled piece in half and tie on extra thread to lengthen them?

MoMo says:

Fantastic tutorial!! Thanks for sharing this!

Triinu Heinonen says:

Hi!
    How long time it takes to make one skirt? Can you tell me how many meters i need, I have no clue how long is Yard ;)
    Greetings from Finland! Triinu

Susan says:

I CANNOT WAIT to get the samples so I can order the colors for different pettiskirts not only for my 9 month old granddaughter but also to make many sizes and colors for photoprops for my photography business!!! Been searching fabric stores all over my area with no luck! Oh I cannot wait and thank you SOOOO much for the excellent tutorial on making the pettiskirt. I’ve been sewing for 38 years, and was dreading making these, but your directions are so easy to follow that I can’t wait to get started!
    Cheers!!!
    ~*:)

Tiffany L says:

Thank you SO MUCH for this tutorial!

When I was planning my wedding I had no idea what I wanted my flower girls to be dressed like, but I knew I didn’t want mommy to have to pay out the wazoo for the crazy flower girl dresses that would be worn approximately one time. And then I stumbled across this post… and the light bulb went off. Not only did I decide I was going to have the girls in the pettiskirts, but I decided I was going to make them (one for a then 7 y.o. who is teeny and is just getting into size 6-7 girls clothes and one for a then 14 month old). I, who had not touched a sewing machine in 9ish years when I was in middle school home ec class, was going to make the skirts that would be worn at my wedding (March 17, 2012… yeah, St Patrick’s day, can you guess what one of the colors in the skirts was?).
    For the 7 year old I made the skirt as you described, and for the 14 month old I just did one tier of the 5″ wide chiffon and it fit her perfect (even though the little booger didn’t start walking until like 2 weeks after the wedding).

If anyone would like to see pics of the finished products on my adorable little cousins you can visit the website I listed (http://AdkinsLenegar.ourwedding.com ) & go to pictures.

Cassandra says:

Oh my goodness this is AMAZING! This was such a very helpful tutorial! I am so glad that I found it!

I just finished making my first petticoat!! I purchased the rolls like you mentioned. I also LOVED your idea of adjusting the tension to make the ruffles. It was such a time saver. I have a ruffler, but never can get it to work well with my machine. It sure is a lot of tedious work, and while I was doing it I said to myself I will never do it again, but afterwards admiring it, I was eager to make another.

Thanks so much for taking the time to do this tutorial!!

PlumSoda says:

Making this right now, except it’s for me!
    I only finished the top layer, but it’s already sooo poofy and fun!
    This tutorial is genious, and I wish I’d found it earlier.

Thank you, Lovely!

Michelle says:

Still trying to figure out how to get cheap nylon chiffon here in Canada in precut rolls….I found some that I had to cut myself (pain in the butt!!) but they only had 2-3 colours. I did make a super cute cowgirl pettiskirt and exchanged the satin for denim and it turned out amazing. Thank you for the tutorial!

Janice says:

Awesome I made it down sized for my one year grand daughter thanks so much

I love your Petticoat. Several months ago I purchased 16 yards of purple eith the intent of making my 5yr. old Greatgranddaughter a Pettiskirt. Haven,t done it yet….I even bought a ruffler foot for my Bernina and one for my Serger.Still haven’t done it…Do yousell your PettiSkirts? If you do,how much??? I would like a Black one with a white ruffle. Zoeys waist is about 20 in. too. Thank you in advance for any help you can give me. Kitty S.

Jamie says:

Hi! I want to make one for my one year old and buy the chiffon all at the same time- I’m thinking 3 inches vs 5 inches for the skirt? Do you have any recommendations for measurements for different sizes? This is too cute and the tutuorial is great! Thanks!

Laurel says:

Your tutorial made my halloween costume even more epic! All I did was adjust your tutorial to fit an adult and made it happen. Thanks so much!

hilary says:

what size measurements should I use in the tier lengths for a 7 month old? should I use just one tier instead of two? I’m trying to figure out how much of the chiffon I need to buy. Thank you! I am beyond excited to make this for my daughter (:

Carlyn says:

I can’t wait to get started, thanks for this Great tutorial.

Lindsay Carpenter says:

I know this is an old post and I have no idea if you read comments on these old posts but I wanted to thank you for this tutorial (along with so many others). My twin girls wanted a bee themed party for their 4th birthday last year. It is in March and there was not a bee costume or outfit to be found. So I made them black and yellow striped pettiskirts and matching shirts and they loved them soooo much! They still wear them all the time.

This year they want a ladybug themed birthday and asked for pettiskirts again so I am making red ones with black 2″ ruffle and a double circle skirt in red with black polka dot fabric to go over it. And of course a matching shirt.

I hadn’t sewn since junior high home ec and have learned to sew from tutorials like yours. Thank you so much for sharing your talent and creativity!! I am going to make all three of us square circle skirts next! Can’t wait! It will look so good with my tall brown boots and then cute flats in the spring! I better hurry if I want to wear it with my boots… I need to go sew!

Warmly,
    ~Lindsay

Emily howell says:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yqmOkF2ino4 Anyone try this ? It seems the only difference is she attaches the first row to satin first.

Vinita says:

OMG!!! you made my day, Hun.

I just finished my daughter’s bday dress using the ruffler foot. I was looking for another project for it. Looks like i got one.
    My daughter would love it. I will share the pic once done. Thanks again.

You are my HERO.

SusieIsNana says:

As satisfying as it is to watch my 3yo granddaughter twirl around in the things I make for her, I get a much better value purchasing these pettiskirts for $10-$15 at Halo Heaven. Even though I COULD make one (& a ruffler foot for your sewing machine will be your new best friend!!), I’d rather spend my money making something I can’t get elsewhere for the same cost. Take the $20 you save and go buy fabric for another outfit or dress!!

That said, this tutorial is amazing and I love almost everything you teach me!!!

Sincerely,
    Susie

missjocool says:

I would love to try this because I make the regular tutus with tulle, but I have 4 cats… they would never let me lay it all out on the carpet! LOL

amber says:

I am making a dress for my litttle girl for her first birthday. What wpuld be your suggestion for the inches on fabric to buy, whay would be the measurements I should use? My little girl has a 6-9 month waste but she is tall. She is 33 inches tall. I do not know how to do measurements for the skirt. All I know is to measure her waste but I don’t know the incraments for the rest of the skirt. Can you help me please her birthsay is the 21st of next month I’m hoping I can get it done before then. Any help would be appreciated. I wanted to do neon green and maybe zebra or darker kelly green. I don’t want every other layer. Any suggestiind. Tjank. I know its alot but any help would be appreciated

Pam Ronyak says:

When my daughter was little I had the opportunity to work at one of our local Fabric shops part-time for a few years. I was the Notins -Order Clerk- everything else but the fabric & patterns- I had to keep close eyes on and keep it all well stocked. I had a customer that showed me how to make my daughter-3 at the time- one of those poofy-twirly ruffly dresses that look like it had an apron seperate from the dress- slip & dress skirt & apron sewed all together – it was pinks and white rosebuds- white or pink background with a bit darker pink rosebuds. and the tulle slip underneath fluffy -twirly- ruffly skirt that was part of the Easter window display along with my nephews outfits and the Babbit family I sewed up for Wendy= Dad.Mama. & Baby Babbit with clothes that matched the kids outfits. The boys got wine colored brushed denim pants/ vest outfits with plaid shirts that matched ( Dan River Makes great cotton fabrics just right for wash/wear shirts.) I had many customers that I asissted finding the perfect fabric for their patterns-I was even in the Bridal ad for the local Newspaper – having upped the notions available for our sewing bridal parties- or special-ordered it if I didn’t have what they needed. It was fun and in high school was at the top of my class. Then – I already had set up a dummy store in college for one of my classes(marketing or advertising class).I forget which- we had to set up store/stock it/ price it/before-my costs–then after/ what my profits would be. What to do when CASH-FLOW was not what was needed- how to improve & where to cut back/where to cut back. Then what would our Plan be to set us apart from the other similar companies in town. It was all on paper BUT it really made me think hard about what it takes to run a company- work and monetarally. Especially if all the $$$ ‘s are yours!!!

Angela says:

Wow! I purchased one like these and spend a lot of money. The exact same color. I have to say though (for not being a crafty person), I understand now why they are so pricey. Great tutorial! Thanks! Angela Butler – Clarksville, TN Photographer

Jamie Austin says:

I don’t know if this would work but it could really make making strips of tulle a lot easier. I’ll be trying it when I make a tutu!! Sew the ends of the tulle together and use the technique in the following link. Then you wouldn’t have to sew a bunch of tulle ends together. It’s the method used on plastic bags to make “yarn” for crocheting. http://www.wikihow.com/Prepare-Plastic-Bags-for-Knitting-or-Crochet

Or I’ll sew the edges together to make a tube, then start at the top, cutting diagonally to start making a strip that is an inch thick (think of like a toilet paper roll or a crescent rolls tube).

eva says:

Hi there, i’m eva a single mom from indonesia. Such a wonderfull tutorial your full pettiskirt awsome and make me as directly make it for my kids…. And thank you very much because of you i can make more idea for my little bussines…. if you don’t mind as ownesslymaybe we can be a friend. And you can confirm my fb on Eva Tirey Dewi.
    And once again thank you so much for your adorable creation…. love you n nice to meet you here….

Best regards for me

Eva

Nan says:

A great tutorial with 4 grand-daughters I better get started. Thank you.

Betsy says:

How do you go about buying a full roll?

Jackie G. says:

I had to do a little re-figuring on the measurements since I was making this for my 1yr old, (lots of using a tape measure, looking at things, more measuring, ultimately winging lengths) but this tutorial was amazing! I just finished my daughter’s pettiskirt tonight and let her try it on before her smash cake photo session tomorrow and she was in -love-. It came out perfect and my princess loves her new dress! THANK YOU!!!!

Sue says:

Well, I finally did it! Just finished my FIRST pettiskirt following your directions – Thank You! Your instructions were awesome – every time I deviated from your suggestions, I found that your way was better – Ha! And with five granddaughters under the age of 6, I guess you know I’m just getting started. These will be so special for them – can’t thank you enough! PS: AFC is now on my “favorites” list – they have been a great company to deal with.

katiasafia says:

i love it beautiful skirt thank you ashly for this explication

Erica G says:

Ahh I’m so glad I found this! :) I knew I saw it somewhere and did a google search but didn’t realize it was from your blog until I saw the photos! I want to make these but will have to wait until the farmers market season is over and I have a little more time! :) (I also have some sense & sensibility dress patterns I want/need to make this winter!!) and holy cow! I was searching through your past tutorials and didn’t realize how many great projects you have on here. I will definitely have to look through again when I have more time.. maybe when daddy’s home from work and he can watch the little ones! Internet would be so much easier if we had a computer instead of my smart phone ;)

You are a very talented and crafty lady! So glad I stumbled upon your blog. And so glad you write it!

Now off to pick up our exchange student from school..

mandy says:

Chiffon is not to lock edge? This looks like gauze。

Marta Fair says:

I get the rolls of tulle or chiffon at hobby lobby with the 40% off 25 yards (4.99-40%) some times they even have them for 50% so it would be about 2.50 each 25 yards.Love this tutorial i think is easy to follow, i till try to do my pettiskirt.Thanks

235. 234.1
    Gena says:

LOVE IT! Thanks so much I have seen other tutorial that were great, but is this is the one I’ve been looking for thanks for sharing your gift.