Make-a-Cake Series: Baby Clothes–Part 1

Just a reminder…..these are scheduled posts and I am actually out of town for a few days.  Click here for more info.  If you are waiting for a reply from email, I will be back on June 26th.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Did you all enjoy the flag cake from last week?
Have you decided to make it for the 4th of July?
I have.
(I love that clever little Brittany!)
I can’t wait to share it with friends.
-Ashley

Are you throwing a baby shower for a friend soon?
Or is your brand new niece/nephew having a special day?

After the next two posts you could bring the cake.

A cake they will never forget……..is a perfect gift!

Here’s the cake I’ll be sharing with you:

Don’t you just love all of those sweet baby clothes from the bottom tier?

I am going to show how to make the clothing on the clothes line today and then in my next post I will show you how I made the shoes.

But remember, be creative and add your own special touches and designs!

The supplies:

(left to right)
  1. Fondant roller- this makes imprints into fondant
  2. Buttercream in a piping bag with a #2 tip
  3. Onsies pattern- I drew this and cut it out of paper. Or you can buy a onesie cookie cutter.
  4. Square cutter
  5. Small and medium circle cutters
  6. Gumpaste in 3 different colors

All supplies are available where cake decorating supplies are sold. Micheal’s and Joann’s for sure.

Lightly grease your counter and sprinkle with corn starch.
Roll out your gumpaste pretty thin and dust the top of the gumpaste with a small amount of corn starch.  This will keep your paper from sticking (If you are using a cookie cutter just cut your shapes out).

Lay your cut-out on top of the fondant and using a sharp knife or (exacto knife) cut out a onesie.
(if you think you’ll cut into your counter…..use a cutting board to cut on.)

Make two of each color.

Take your piping bag and decorate your onesies.
You can also use small cutters like the star and flower if you like.

For the bibs: cut out medium circles first then cut out small circles near the top.
Make 2 of each color.

Decorate these with your piping bag also.

The small flower is made from the Wilton flower mini punch set.

For the blankets: Cut squares, two of each color.

Decorate these with the fondant roller to give it a quilted look. Then finish with piping.

Let all of your pieces dry on a corn starch dusted baking sheet for 24-48 hours.

There you have it.

All of your little baby items…..waiting to be placed on your baby cake.

Next post we are going to go over how to make those little baby shoes.

Happy Decorating!

Edit: Part 2 of this cake can be found here.

Comments

21 Responses to “Make-a-Cake Series: Baby Clothes–Part 1”
    Country Girl in the City says:

Wow, these are soooo cute!! Looking forward to part 2.

Have a great day!

Cris Rosa says:

Lindo e delicioso! Adorei!
    Seu trabalho é lindo!
    Bjkas

Traci says:

You are amazing! I look forward to every entry of the "Make a Cake Series"! I don't know if I'm brave enough to actually try it myself though….

Thank you for the amazing tutorial!

brandy says:

Darling! Could you use fondant and let it dry as well? What is the difference in gumpaste? I can't wait to make this cute cake!

Jessabells says:

Truly beautiful. Thanks for sharing! You make me want to bust out my cake decorating things and decorate.

Brittany says:

brandy- You could use fondant but you would need to let it dry for three times as long. The difference in gumpaste is that it drys faster and harder than fondant. If you make them in fondant they will be more fragile and soft.
    Good Luck!

Amanda Mae says:

So, so, soo adorable!! Can't wait for part 2!

Ege'nin Annesi; says:

that's look wonderfull:)

Firenze says:

Oh my goodness how cute is this cake? Tooooo cute is the answer :) TFS
    Helen — Firenze Cards

The Julanders says:

I've never worked with gumpaste either, so is there a HomeMade way to make it?
    If I stick with fondant, I just have to dry it for three days or so?
    Interesting to know more about gumpaste vs fondant.

Angie says:

Ok. I think this is by far these are cutest little things. EVER. :) I made my first batch of fondant and buttercream and did a test run fro my daughter's birthday cake this weekend. Your posts helped me SO much!! I LOVE the MM fondant…SOOO much better than any other fondant I've had before. I hope you show us how to make the princess crown before her birthday gets here!!

Bec and Michael says:

This is awesome!!!
    Im not sure I have the time this would need, but Im glad to have the inspiration…and if I ever DID have the time, I certainly know where to go to be creative! :)

Brittany says:

The Julanders-
    I believe you can make gumpaste from home but it's quite involved and I do not think there is short cut for it.
    In the past I have put some Gum Tex in my fondant to make it harder…but i never got the result like I did with gumpaste.
    I hope this helps. Good Luck!

Rafahi Family says:

Amazing cake! I love it! Thanks for sharing the easy ways to make your own cutters/cutouts.

夏瓊富 says:

nice to know you, and glad to find such a good artical!......................................................................

brandy says:

Thanks Brittany for the response! I'll have to pick up some gumpaste for sure!

Natalie Steel says:

Brittany,

I was around your house when you were just starting your cake decorating! I can't believe the fancy designs you can come up with. It makes me want to be more ambitious! How is your family? Brooke always had a soft spot in our hearts from nursery. take care,

Natalie Steel

Natelyn says:

Where can you find gum paste? Does it come in white and you just add your colors to it?? I'm super excited to start trying to make some of these cakes! :)

Lamprecht Family says:

HELP I'm wanting to make my father in law the Yankees cake only problem I need it done by friday and I have NEVER made such a detailed cake in my life. I'm need help in understanding how the baseball cap was made and what the heck is fondant haha or gum paste. Please Help so I can attemp this cake. Thanks anybody for your help

Its very fantastically, adorable & gorgeous good luck :)

Its very fantastically, adorable & gorgeous good luck :) i can’t just wait for d next part.