Gnocchi……my mouth is watering just typing the name.

UPDATE 9/11/14:  I originally shared this recipe over 4 years ago.  Every time I look up this recipe to make for family/friends……the images on this post make me sad.  Because this is one of my all-time favorite dishes to make and there’s nothing about these pictures that would make we want to try this recipe, had I never tasted it. So, we created an updated version, with much better images.  I’ll leave the old pictures on this post…..but in case you’re linking back to this page from somewhere, HERE is the updated Ricotta Gnocchi recipe for you to enjoy. (And a few updated pictures below.)

Ricotta Gnocchi (Ñoquis) with a fluffy Prosciutto Cream Sauce --- Make It and Love It (in the KITCHEN)

Okay, back to the original post.
-Ashley
. . . . .

I am no culinary artist.
And am not very creative in the kitchen.
But I sure love finding a recipe in a book/online…..
Or even better, getting one from a friend.
Tried and true.

And after she shared this delicious Italian dish, I asked this sweet friend of mine if I could share it with everyone else.  It was that good.  Mmmmm……  (Thanks Lizzie!)

Gnocchi (pronounced nee-oh-kee)
And this is a ricotta based gnocchi instead of potato based.

The tenderness of those uniquely shaped pasta/dumplings, the creamy and savory sauce, the freshness of the basil, the surprise of the prosciutto and pine nuts, the warmth of the whole dish.

So delightful.

It’s not a recipe for those watching their calories.
But everyone needs a day where they enjoy a hearty portion of gnocchi.
Everyone.

My friend Lizzie got this recipe from her sister, who got it from this site.  It is no longer available on the site…….so there’s no link to the original recipe.  But here is the recipe that has been passed around.  And their family is Italian……so that makes them experts, right? ;)

***Full printable recipe below***

Gnocchi dough:

2 cups ricotta
2 eggs
1 cup shredded parmesan
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 cups flour

**I used rice flour (because of an allergy) and it still worked great.
(But I know no different……the other wheat-eaters told me it was still great!!)

Mix all ingredients except flour together. Than gradually add the flour. You may need less depending on how big your eggs are. You want a soft, not too sticky, dough.

The dough is easier to work with if its a little chilled, so take about a 1/3 of the dough out and place the rest in the fridge until needed.

Roll out the dough on a floured surface into a 1/2 inch thick rope.  Then cut the rope into 1/2 long pieces.  Then roll each piece on the back of a fork to give it the ridges. That is just to help it hold the sauce, so don’t worry about perfection.

Then line them all up on a pan, keeping them separate.  Then place a piece of wax paper over top and begin another layer of gnocchi.  Repeat until all of the dough is used.

Cover the top with another piece of wax paper and place them in the fridge until ready to be boiled.

Sauce:

1/2 cup butter
2 ounces of prosciutto chopped
10 torn basil leaves
1/4 cup pine nuts
1 cup cream
1/2 cup shredded parmesan

Beat 1/2 cup of cream until whipped, set aside. Melt butter in a sauce pan, add pine nuts and cook until the nuts brown a little. (While waiting begin boiling a pot of water for the gnocchi.)  Add 1/2 cup cream to the butter and pine nuts and bring to a light boil.  Cook for one minute, then turn the heat down to low. Add basil and prosciutto. Then fold in the whipped cream and the parmesan.

Add gnocchi to boiling water. Once they float, they are done!  (Happens quickly.)  Remove and mix with sauce.  Serve Immediately.

You will be so happy you gave this a try.

**Little hint: The gnocchi and sauce are best eaten right away.  Leftovers are still delicious but the sauce breaks down, separating the oils, and isn’t quite as good.  So eat it up!

Filed under Dinner, Featured, gluten free, Recipes, Side Dishes

Comments

38 Responses to “Gnocchi……my mouth is watering just typing the name.”
    Eston, Brenden and Janye says:

This is very exciting. My husband served a mission in Russia and tells me about things like this. Imagine me making this and taking him back to those memories. Thanks!

The Cottage Mama says:

Oh stop it! These pictures are making me SO incredibly hungry. This looks amazing – I will be trying this.

I think I could eat Italian food every day of my life!

Lindsay

A Red Haired Girl says:

They make a similar dish in Argentina… there is a heavy Italian influence there.

Meg says:

oh my goodness, this sounds divine!! we have gnocchi all the time, but i've never tried making my own. thinking i should give it a try!

Free Pretty Things For You says:

oh my goodness!!! this is mouth watering!! how awesome is this! a couple of hrs ago i posted my "Mouth Watering Monday" plan! i would love it if you linked this!
    im going to HAVE to make this
    my mouth is still watering lol
    XoXo
    Keren

Elisa says:

Hi,nice recipe
    Here in Italy we use to do Gnocchi whit potatoes.
    I heartily recommend you to try :
    2+ 1/2 cups flour, 1 Kg potatoes,1 egg ,salt.
    Whit your sauce will be yummy :-)
    (sorry for my incorrect english ;-) )
    Elisa

Free Pretty Things For You says:

oh and also!
    i made the pretty flowers out of napkins you made!! everyone loved them!
    this is the link if you want to see how they turned out :)

i used pompoms for the center!
    XoXo
    Keren

Rolyndia says:

I am going to have to try to make them. I love them and Sam's carries a box of them. YUMMY!!! Thanks for sharing!

Joseph's Grainery Recipes says:

Gnocchi is my hubby's favorite, will definitely have to make this next week for his birthday!

the thrifty ba says:

im italian and we grew up making these all the time. i made them for my family with limited success, but i dont really care what the rest of them eat…

Whatever Dee-Dee wants says:

Oh yum! Gnocchi is one of my favorite things to eat.

tomiannie says:

Oh, gnocchi, how I love you! Perhaps I will make these someday if I manage to be GOOD on eating for a few days in advance…

Jill says:

This looks amazing! We are big gnocchi fans and ate it often while living overseas.

MammaGiovane says:

Try this recipe:
    boiled potatoes smashed (cold)
    eggs
    flour
    salt

Sauce:http://www.cookuk.co.uk/ethnic/italian/ragu_pasta.htm

Bye bye from an italian blogger.f

Rob-O says:

Sorry Ash. I never taught you how or made it for you for that matter. I had gnocchi the 28th of every month when I was Argentina. I always had the potato gnocchi, but this recipe looks spectacular. It makes me want to cheat my diet for one day and eat this.

Rachel says:

giving new meaning to "make it and love it" – ha ha! Looks dee-lish…even at 8-ish in the morning.

Brook says:

Do you have Celiacs? I LOVE Gnocchi but could never order it at a restaurant because of the wheat flour. Good to have a recipe!!! Thanks!

- Sarah :-) says:

I LOVE gnocchi (but we always pronounced it nah-chee – oops?).

I make it with a simple butter and permesean sauce with a little garlic, and I have only ever tried potato gnocchi.

Still SUPER yumm!!

Rachel Phelan says:

I served my mission in Italy and I LOVE gnocchi! It's also extremely good with pesto or just a red sauce. I've been wanting to make it by hand and now I just may! Thanks for the inspiration. :)

angelina says:

nice. i had never had, nor heard of, gnocci until i came to australia!

Annette says:

Wait! Is someone in your family allergic to gluten? If so…check out http://www.elanaspantry.com. She cooks everything very simply..with almond flour. It works so well! :) I LOVE LOVE LOVE her chocolate chip cookies…yum! I'm celiac. :) I'm also a huge fan of Better Batter Flour….I think it's a great replacement! Have fun! The gnocchi looks yummy!

Shrinking Shadow says:

I just recently found this blog and it is amazing!! If you like Italian try this. It's very authentic and easy.

Sela says:

Wow, that looks a.ma.zing!! Can't wait to try it, thanks!!

Stephanie says:

About how many would this recipe serve?

I'm seriously going to try the Gnocci, but I'm going to have to find a way to reduce the fat in the sauce. I've made an Alfredo sauce with plain yogurt and Parmesan cheese, and would be good with the other ingredients in this recipe.

inday_adin says:

Oh boy! That is delicious. My mouth is watering too! hehehe….

offthelist says:

Those look great. I'm a cook and baker by trade/training and your gnocchi look top notch. They can be a little time intensive but if you make a large batch you can freeze some (before you cook them) and then add a few minutes to your boiling time and you've got a quick great dish.

Cheyanne

Midnight Rambler says:

Saving this one to my recipe bookmarks. I love gnocchi, and can't wait to try it with ricotta instead of taters.

fabricyoyoqueen says:

Wow that looks so yummy.

domesticday says:

oh i tried your recipe tonight, it was delicious!!! although i just used a plain alfredo for the sauce. but mmmmm so good! my italian mom who doesnt like anything i make cause i'm to americanized in my cooking even loved them!

Kristen Duke Photography says:

This looks and sounds heavenly!!!

Sarah says:

Thanks for posting this! I've been looking at this recipe for awhile now and finally made it for dinner; it was great! My husband and I loved it; he actually said it was his favorite new recipe in a long time! (I did use spinach and mushrooms instead of pancetta and basil)
    Thanks again!

SpartanGirl says:

This is one of the best recipes I've tried in a long time! Absolutely delicious. I can't say enough good things about it!

Thank you so much for sharing!!

Cecilia says:

Hi, I must be the only one to have had this problem when making the gnocchi, but when I added it to the boiling water, the gnocchi went to the bottom and didn’t float up when done, they just kind of became mush…I’m not sure what I did wrong, any tips?

tiffany says:

im italian and i eat this all the time..speaking of it i want some now haha mmmm

Rachel says:

I made this for the first time tonight and am wowed at how delicious it is. I made it exactly as the recipe stated and it was perfeection wrapped around delight. This is definitely going on my favorites list.

Rachel says:

Oh as a follow-up. If you do not eat all of the gnocchi the night before, add about 2 tablespoons of fresh cream to the leftovers before heating them up. Give it a good stir halfway through the heating up stage and it will not separate. Just so ya know!