4th of July Shirts

Thanks for all of your responses yesterday.
I loved reading your feedback.  Thank you, Thank you.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
I know, there’s only a few days until the 4th of July this weekend.
But here’s a fun little project you can do last minute.
And pretty quickly.
Little 4th of July shirts.
Nice and vibrant.
And a little more ruffly for a girl……..
And smoother lines for a boy……..
 Together, they make a sweet pair.
Ready to make your own?
(Remember to adjust the measurements below for smaller or bigger shirts.  This sizing was made for a 4T girls shirt from Target.)
First, to make the little ruffled girly flag…..I cut up an old red tshirt and made strips out of the knit that were 1/2 x 12 inches.
Then I decided how wide I wanted to make the flag (about 6 1/2 inches wide) and placed pins at each side.   Then I layed the strips down, just how I wanted them from the left side, and let the tails hang over the right side for now.
Then I made a pencil mark at the left side of each strip and the right side of each strip, 1/4 inch down from the top of the strip (so the line would be centered down the center of each strip).  And then I made a straight line with my pencil.
I did that for each strip so I would know exactly where to lay each strip after I ruffled them.  Make sure your pencil lines are exactly as long and spaced exactly how you’d like it……so that placing the ruffles will be easier.
Then make a basting stitch down the center of each 13 inch strips and gather them so that they are only 6 1/2 inches wide (because that’s how wide my flag is).  Pin each ruffle in place, directly over top each pencil mark.  (And I ended up trimming about 2 inches off the ends of the top two ruffles because they were more ruffly from being gathered more to fit a smaller space.  Make sense?  If not, just ignore.)
Then sew each ruffle in place.
Then I cut a blue knit square (again, from an old tshirt scrap) and sewed it right to the shirt.  Then I sewed five little buttons onto the square.
The more girly flag is now done.
Onto the more plain flag.
(Remember to adjust the measurements below for smaller or bigger shirts.  This sizing was made for a 2T boys shirt from Target.  And I just picked off the little pocket with a seam ripper.)

I first ironed on some Heat ‘n Bond (double sided adhesive) to a big chunk of the red knit. (from the old red tshirt I used above, remember?)  From that, I cut strips of red that were 1/2 x 6 inches.
(See the paper backing of the adhesive on one side and the knit on the other side?)
Then I peeled off all of the paper backing and layed each strip on the front of the shirt.
I added some Heat ‘n Bond iron on adhesive to a little blue square as well, and placed everything just where I wanted it.
I also attached some of the same Heat ‘n Bond to the back of a white square of fabric (it was actually the pocket that I picked off the shirt), then traced some stars onto the paper backing of the adhesive, cut them out, then added them to the blue square.  Then I ironed everything in place.
Then I stitched around everything…

And that was it.
Nice and quick.
And pretty inexpensive.  And yes, I know you can buy little flag shirts everywhere for about $5…….but they aren’t nearly as cute/fun as making your own.
Perfect for the 4th of July weekend.

Comments

92 Responses to “4th of July Shirts”
    Colette says:

wow! so stinkin cute.
    I took your argyle shirt pattern you did for your little boy and made some for my boys with a red white and blue theme. I love them. Thanks for all the great ideas!

Jill says:

Adorable!!

Alisha says:

So cute!

Team Bowers says:

SO cute! Thanks for all the fun ideas!!

kati says:

I love the little shirts… it makes me want to go back home for the 4th of july…. but alas here I sit in Canada…. oh well…

Heather says:

I have been planning to make a shirt for my daughter, but this is much cuter than what was in my head. Thanks!

Annie says:

These are so cute. I was looking for a fun outfit for the 4th. Thanks!

Franco Fab Five says:

LOVE it! You just changed my life. I was going to make everyone matching Lil Blue Boo stuff. Now, I am going to do yours. This is EXACTLY what I wanted! LOVE YOUR BLOG!

Erin says:

How creative and super cute. Thanks for all of your fun and affordable ideas!

Franco Fab Five says:

This is absolutely what I was looking for. I was going to try to do the upcycled hoodies for my kids and their cousins but, I LOVE this idea so much more! FANTASTIC!

Kate @ The Gaines Gang says:

These are too cute for words! Thnaks so much for sharing, can't wait to make my kiddos some!

bookette says:

so so so cute! I don't have little kids, but I think I'm still going to have to make me some. I have nieces and nephews…I'm sure they want to be patriotic…

Ellena says:

Very,ver…………………y cute

Jeanette says:

Is it pathetic that I want to make the ruffly shirt for ME?

Amie says:

These are so cute I love them!

CBH says:

The shirts are adorable. But the kids… they are so cute!!!! Thanks for sharing.

BECKY says:

cute :)

Stacy says:

VERY Cute! If I wasn't running around crazy trying to pack for our out of town trip, I would so do this! I'll have to remember for next year! :-)

Gena says:

That is SEW cute! I just love the idea and wish I had seen it sooner! There is no way I can pull that off before this weekend with everything else I have going on :)

Thanks for sharing! :)

Mardi says:

ok, so my boys are getting one each. IF i find time to do it…i'll let you know if i post pictures.

Jessica says:

i love these shirts I might have to make one for my lil guy!

Jen says:

Love these! Too cute!!!:)

Jennifer says:

I just may have to make these! What a fun idea! Thanks so much!

Tanyia says:

these are sew adorable! I love the boy and girl versions!

Nicole says:

OMG, cutest shirts EVER! So stinking cute. I am in heaven. Have the sewing machine…now to just learn how to sew:)
    LOVE all your stuff!

Nursemom says:

Those are so adorable and so easy! I can't wait to try them out.

Texas Tingey says:

Ha! I usually don't comment…but I got a kick out of seeing your girly 4th of July shirt. It is very similar to a project I just did for a decoration for my house! Great minds think alike:-)

The Robinsons says:

You just inspire me every day! Thanks so much for the adorable ideas!

Angie says:

Love!! I've been trying to figure out what to make for my daughter to wear this weekend! Thanks for yet another great idea!

Katie says:

Oooh, I love this. Just might have to make one for my little girl. Thanks! :)

Andrea says:

Adorable. Thanks for such great ideas.

Sarah Burrell says:

What a cute idea! Now, if only I had time to whip up a few before the holiday weekend is upon us. :-) Maybe next year. Great job though! I love these!

Heather Marlene says:

wow, you are amazing! I wish I could come up with my own ideas… until that day, I will just have to keep stealing yours. ;)

Terésa says:

Sooooo cute!! I might have to do this to go with my little girls tutu!!

Disney says:

Oh My. Goodness. That is so weird. I literally had the exact same idea, but I didn't have a shirt to use! Buttons and all! Except I was thinking red and white ruffles, you're much more clever to use the white shirt as the stipe :o)

You did it beautifully! And I love the boys version as well. Fantastic!

Donna says:

I am so making these for my girls. Thanks for the tutorial. I wanted something just like this.

Kim says:

These are darling! I love both of them. Thank you for sharing your talents with us!

Melissa says:

Very cute!

Lavinia Creati-Vita says:

Lovely! Happy 4th July!

Nancy :) says:

Love them! your kids are adorable!!
    I love your blogsite too!

Kelley says:

LOVE this…I am making it today. THANKS so much!

inday_adin says:

U always have great ideas! I love it! :)

Amber Cullum says:

I love these!!!

michelle@somedaycrafts says:

I am featuring this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com! Sending you a little more traffic (like you need it:)

Mandy says:

Darling shirts! Love them both – what a fun project :)

Joanne says:

So stinkin' cute! I'll be linking on Saturday for sure!

Jessica says:

Thanks for the inspiration! I made a similar one for my daughter this evening :) Instead of buttons I hand sewed little stars onto the blue knit patch. It turned out cute! LOVE the blog, as always!!

stephjacobson says:

These are adorable! I'm wondering if I have enough time to make one for myself today. . .

smileynann says:

This is ADORABLE!!! I'm going to put this on a little white sundress for my daughter today!

One question I've had about sewing t-shirts… How on earth do you sew around those tiny little stars without accidentally sewing through the back? I just can't figure this one out!

Delia says:

Home run. Very nice job.anesseti

The Keylors says:

This is such a cute idea! They turned out really cute!!!

smileynann – I used double sided fusible web and ironed the stars onto the shirt and then I stitched around each star with my sewing machine. So I sewed through all of the layers. Does that make more sense? Let me know if you have more questions….

Jessie says:

Just wanted to say thanks so much for the tutorial–I made the girl version for all 3 of my girls (and even one for a niece), and I love them! First time ruffling for me, too. If you click on my name's link, the pic is the header of my blog. Thanks for all your great ideas. :)

Lafleche says:

I used your SUPER cute tutorial and made shirts for my 3 kiddos for the 4th. Everyone loved them. Thanks for the inspiration…
    here is the link to photos I took of them. I linked it back to you too. Thanks!!!

terrid614 says:

these are so adorable! your little ones are too cute, as well! thanks for an awesome blog!

smileynann says:

So sorry, I still don't understand… So, I get that you sew through all the layers of the stars and background and shirt, but I just don't see how you can sew the pieces onto the front of the shirt without going through the back of the shirt. Those shirts are so TINY! And the neckholes are so small. So, I just don't quite know how you sew through the front of the shirt without accidentally catching the back side as well.

Thanks so much for your help!

Smileynann – I see. The way to do that is open up the shirt and slide only the top side of the shirt under the needle…..and the rest of the shirt can stay bunched up off to one side or slide it under the bottom of your machine. You definitely have to move the rest of the shirt out of the way or yes, you'll sew through the back of the shirt. Does that make any sense? On my post here (http://www.makeit-loveit.com/2010/07/re-purposing-womens-long-sleeves-to.html), there is a picture showing how I attached little button snap strips to the inside of the sleeves of that grey shirt. There is a picture showing how I opened up the bottom of the sleeve, then wiggled the sleeve under the needle, making sure only the top lay of the sleeve was under the needle. That's kind of similar to the way you'll have to open up your shirt and only stick the top layer under the needle. Does that help? Let me know if you have more questions. (Email me at [email protected]……I get those messages quicker.)

Lenetta @ Nettacow says:

AHHH! I am too cheap to buy shirts like this beforehand, and never remember to buy them a size bigger on clearance – why didn't I think to make them??? Very cute – and I love how they're so different yet coordinating. (Mine would never look this good anyway, but a girl can dream!) I linked to this on my weekly roundup – thanks for sharing!

PS – I also linked to the cloth baby rings and sewing machine cover. I have a friend that's due with baby #2 in about a month and I'm on pins and needles to find out if it's a boy or girl so I can make some rings!!

Mark&Noelle Taylor says:

i loved this i made one for each of my girls and i put one on a baby onsie and added the same ruffles to the bum

amandandoug says:

This would be wonderful on the front of a pillowcase dress for a little girl. All White with dark blue double fold bias tape and red satin ribbon ties. Ohh and red,white and blue korker hair bows on pigtails….def. bookmarked for my daughters =)

btanders says:

These are SOO cute! I am definitely going to make some for my girls. Thanks for sharing!!

:)gone says:

Luv it

Linda says:

So, cute, and at least they won’t look exactly like everyone else with the WalMart or Target 4th of July shirts.
    Thank. Linda

a narretto says:

I am working on these tonight

Caca says:

what a neat sewing project!

Darla says:

Thanks for the flag tee shirt idea. It is so cute! I am going to make it for my granddaughter. Thanks!

Ginny Lou says:

Thanks for these seriously cute and easy t-shirts. I’m pinning them and including them in this little collection I put together… http://darlingadventures.com/?p=999

Susan says:

I absolutely LOVE these shirts!! And have been waiting for this holiday to give it a try since I discovered your site in January. But I need your help!! I’ve perfected the boys shirt and have made 4 (3 for nephews, and 1 for my son). But I’m now onto the girl shirt for my 4 yo and I can’t get the knit fabric to gather nicely. It ends up twisting into a spiral and I can’t get it to lay flat without taking most of the gathering out. Any suggestions so I can finish this up in the next two nights?? ACK!!

Jessica Hornibrook says:

Totally going to go pick up some plain white t-shirts!

nadine says:

c’est une très bonne idée, j’adore !

I love this! for sure making this next year!!!

Holly B says:

I just decided against buying the Old Navy flag shirts… yet! Now, I see this and it is sooooo much cuter! I have twins coming and a bunch of white onsies that I feel bad returning. Now, I know what to do with them! Thanks for the tutorial you wrote sooooo long ago. Thanks to Pinterest old posts are becoming new!

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. [...] 4th of July Shirts from Make It and Love It [...]

2. [...] thing I love about these 4th of July Shirts from Make It and Love It is that there’s a boy version  and a girl version.  Having one of each myself, I’ve [...]

3. [...] I was looking back at old pictures of what I made last year………and I may just run to the store and grab some white [...]

4. [...] created this t-shirt after seeing this awesome tutorial.  I used strips of fabric for this one, so the edges are frayed a bit.  Don’t look too [...]

5. [...] Go over to Make It and Love It [...]

6. [...] Go over to Make It and Love It [...]

7. [...] to decorate a plain white T-shirt, for either boys or girls?  This great tutorial by Ashley from Make It and Love It  is so easy that you could whip one, or two of these up this [...]

8. [...] saw this shirt, pinned it and LOVE it.  You can go to Ashley’s blog and check out how she made hers [...]

9. [...] 4th of July Shirts – Make It and Love [...]

10. [...] All you need is a plain white tee, a little scrap Tshirt fabric (cotton knit) in blue and red, and about an hour.  Find tutorial here. [...]

11. [...] I’d say we’re all ready to celebrate.  (Except for Connor.  His shirt will have to be a late night project tonight. ;) Maybe a flag shirt?) [...]

12. [...] Cliff would wear this 4th of July Shirt from Make It and Love [...]

13. [...] Make it and Love it DIY Flag Tee [...]

14. [...] These non sew shirts are made by Make It & Love It. Check them out at http://www.makeit-loveit.com/2010/06/4th-of-july-shirts.html [...]