Little Boy Suspenders

Sometimes it’s fun to dress up our little boys.
With suspenders and all.
I love dressing up my little girl, but can’t help but dress up my little boy too!
And come on…..what’s cuter than matching the suspenders with a quick little bow-tie.
(Or make him a tie…..both are darling with suspenders.)
It may put a smile on your face while your little one performs his favorite song……(Old MacDonald had a farm, “E-I-E-I-OOOOOOO”)
And no worries, the suspenders will fit for a while……with little bits of elastic in the back.
**To make a bow-tie, use the same idea as the tutorial here.  But if you aren’t cutting up an old tie, sew a tube of fabric into a tube, iron it flat, then use that as your main bow-tie piece.  Then follow the mentioned tutorial in the same way.
Ready to make some suspenders?
First, you’ll need suspender clips.  I couldn’t find any while at the fabric store, so I bought some “Fashion Fit Clips” that worked great.
Here is the packaging they came in, just to give you an idea.
I decided that I would use this same elastic from the clips, on my suspenders, and save on time and supplies.  So I picked open the seams on one end of each clip, and left the clips on the other ends sewn in place.
Then I cut two strips of fabric and two strips of interfacing that were 19 1/2 inches long by 2 1/2 inches wide.  (You will have to determine how long to make your fabric by measuring your child.  I put my boy’s pants on, put the clips in place, and then measured from the front clip, to the back where I would attach it to the elastic.  That turned out to be 18 1/4 inches.  Then I added an extra inch for the front and a 1/4 inch for the back.  You’ll see why in later steps.  As for the width…..the pieces of elastic on my clips were an inch wide, so I knew I needed to make tubes that were at least an inch wide, so that the elastic could fit inside.  That will make more sense as you read on as well.)
Then I ironed the interfacing to the wrong side of the fabric.
And then I folded the strips of fabric in half lengthwise and sewed the edges together, using a 1/4 inch seam allowance.
Next, I turned the tubes right side out (using this tutorial) and then ironed them flat, with the seam going down the center back.
Then, I slipped one end of one of the tubes through the clip, folded the end over 1/4 inch……
Then another 3/4 of an inch.
Then sewed that in place with two parallel seams
Then with the other end of the fabric, I tucked in the raw edges 1/4 of an inch and then slid (or wiggled) the elastic in about 1/2 of an inch.  Then I sewed this in place with 2 parallel lines as well.  Repeat with the other tube of fabric and clips.
Next, I placed the suspenders on my little boy and crossed them in the back.  I pinned the suspenders together in the back, where they made a good comfortable angle with each other.  (Try to make them cross around the lower center back.  That seemed to be a good spot.)
Then I sewed the two suspender pieces together, making a diamond shape as I included all of the edges of both pieces.
You can also use regular suspender clips (or cut some off of an outgrown pair) and then add elastic.  But like I mentioned above, I just couldn’t find any at the store…..and then realized these would work even better.

And that’s it.
A new pair of suspenders……completely customizable to any outfit.

Now come on……time to dress up that little munchkin.
Church, weddings, special events……they are all the perfect place to sport a sweet little pair of suspenders.
Even if they do quirky things while wearing them.  Hey, so do old men.
Enjoy your weekend.

Filed under Accessory, Baby, Children, Clothing, Miscellaneous, Sewing

Comments

89 Responses to “Little Boy Suspenders”
    Danielle says:

Wow! I just found your site, and am so in love with those suspenders!!! I can hardly wait to make some for my little man! :) Thank you!!!

Jana says:

Love these! So cute. I don't have a little boy, only little girls, but love this idea and may need to keep it in mind for later!

Allison and Mason: says:

I love it when you do little boy posts! I am having a boy and really excited but am always loving your boy tutorials so I don't get envious with all the cute little girl things!! More please! :)

Megan Hoover says:

OH MY! I can't stand it…this is so so so cute. My little guy will be 3 in July and I think it would be so fun to do this for him! Great idea!

Melanie Beth says:

thanks! i love finding fun little boy ideas. i cant wait to make these!

D, B, n J says:

Great Tute. There are so few ideas for little guys out there that I just get so excited when I find one. Many thanks!
    B
    returntosimplertimes.blogspot.com

Goings on at the Glenn's says:

now you can use the metal clips you took off and use them for a pacifier clip or something like that. Your little boy is sooo cute. I love the bow tie with it.

EmmySue says:

I was recently looking to buy suspenders and NO ONE sold them… I was terribly sad, until now. I can MAKE them! Woot! Thanks for the directions and the great blog. Read It and Love It! :)

Heather says:

PLEASE keep the little boy ideas coming! Your ideas are all so cute and they are hard to find anywhere else!

aicha says:

Oh your boy is so cute with that little suspender!!! The fabric is chic!

Susan says:

Yay for sweet things for sweet boys! I have 2 and no girls, so I'm always itching for crafty things for my Sweet's. These suspenders are a-dor-able. I see matching pairs in my 2 little guy's future. :)

my little jedi says:

you have a lovely blog, and i am so happy that i found it today! so gorgeous and unique.
    Come and check out our corner at "my little jedi" and spread the love xx

Annette says:

My brother LOVES suspenders! I'm totally going to have to make him some! :) Thanks!!

Dallin and Ashley says:

So cute! I love it.

Angie says:

cuuuuuuute! If you swing by the dollar tree, they have "ironing board cover tethers" that have the same clips. You get eight clips for a dollar

craftedbymama says:

another thing to add to my list of things to make. I love it a new boy craft comes up. And this is a cute one!
    amy

Christine says:

oh that is so adorable, thank you so much for sharing!

Miss Megan says:

wow i love these! i will definetly be giving these a try very soon! thanks soo much :)

Carly says:

HI!!!! i am a young girl and just wanna say .. I luv ur website!!!! all ur things r so fun and i always learn something new!!!! i cant wait until im older and hav a chnace to make some of these !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Smullin Family says:

The "fashion fit clips"look like those glove/mitten clips and you can get those cheap at the end of the season.

Cute suspenders!

Marjori says:

Oh my gosh, I just want to eat that little guy up! He's so cute in his new suspenders & bow tie!!!

Brook says:

Grrrr… This makes me both very happy and very sad as we searched all of Salt lake for suspenders for my little dude for Easter. I will most definitely be making these and bow ties!!!! I love when you post things I was looking for!

Leah says:

These are adorable. I also love his sandals, where did you get them? My little man has a between the toe aversion.

heather says:

Genius! I am running to the store first thing Monday to get the supplies to make a pair for my littlest guy to wear to church next week. I love it!

Jenny says:

Ohmygosh! You have perfect timing! I just finished making a bow tie for my son and my husband said that I should make some matching suspenders! Wow, these are so super cute…I'm off to make some right now-just in time for church tomorrow! Thank you, thank you!!!!

TheBlackForrist says:

as soon as I can find those "fashion clips" I'm making a pair! Awesome!!! Thank you!

ReFabulous says:

Does it get any cuter? No. No, it does not. Your little guy is sooo sweet, and I have three little boys myself that now NEED suspenders and bow ties — STAT. Thank you for sharing this! :)

Leah, the sandals are from Old Navy. :)

Aleisha says:

Yeah, I was excited too when I saw something fun for little boys!!! keep them coming!

Twiddle Thumbs says:

Priceless photos and really cute suspenders!

Kendra says:

thanks for the tute! so so cute! Hey I'm a poet and I didn't even know it!

i love love says:

the makings of a future model..so cute..the boy can project and pose..he would really be perfect with a ring bearer pillow and walk down the isle..this is boy is just beautiful..love the suspenders and the tie too

Crafty Batches says:

What a little cutie! :) ~Sam

Rileigh says:

I don't have a little boy but someday I will, and I will make him suspenders and a bowtie because you taught me. Thank you

also I hope you don't mind that I linked to your blog and posted a picture of your sweet boy. You can check it out http://rileighlovesben.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the great tips!

Rileigh

The Laytons says:

LOVE this! Can't wait to make them!

Crystal says:

Akkk, the cuteness! I must make some of these. Off to the fabric store…

Michelle says:

These suspenders are adorable!! I love them with the matching tie. How fun!

Delia says:

I just linked to this on my blog. Thank you!

deliacreates.blogspot.com

Tory says:

I'm far from creative enough to make my own suspenders, but he looks adorable in those. For me, I just go to suspenderstore.com and buy some. Still cute, and they have a lot of fun colors. He loves them, nothing cuter then suspenders for boys!

shantel says:

Cute, cute, cute! I am featuring this on my blog!
    seemesew.blogspot.com

Abby says:

Oh My!!! I have been looking for suspenders for my son FOREVER! Poor little guy has no hips or butt to hold up his pants, and belts simply don’t work for quick access to the potty! He is 4 now, are you ever too old for suspenders and a bow tie? Maybe I’ll make a pair for my Dad too, is is in his late 60′s and wears a bow tie and braces when he dresses up, matching of course! Thank you Thank you Thank you!!

Kate says:

Hi Ashley, thanks so much for the tutorials on the bowtie/suspenders. I had a blast making a set for my little guy. I love your blog!
    Kate

annabelle says:

yeah,makding suspenders is so interesting!

Shayla says:

LOVE THIS! I have been looking to buy suspenders for weeks but now……. I know how to make my own! Thank you!
    Like everyone else….. I am putting this on my blog! <3

Lindsey says:

Love this! I have been trying to find baby suspenders for my son and have had no luck. I recently said I wonder I could make my own? I have absolutely no sewing experience though. Do you think I could teach myself? Or is it something I should take lessons for?

Leana says:

Thanks for the tutorial. I just made some for my almost 2 yo who is in a wedding this weekend!

janice says:

hey i tried to make these today but when i got to the folded part it it with threw the machine find feed ok wasnt the best could tell it struggled but the when i went to sew threw the elastic end it would feed.. i cleaned the machine gave it a new needle and still wouldnt feed. i dont know what to do know.. what did you have your machine set on as far as tension and is there any advice you could give.. thanks

janice says:

correction on my comment lol… folded part it went threw the machine fine and it feed ok
      when i went to sew the elastic end part it wouldnt feed it stayed in one spot.
      i dont know what to do now..lol..
      *** this is what happens when you have a two year old climbing on you while trying to type a question lol

Menda says:

Just wanted to say thanks for the tutorial. I’m a fairly new sewer, and these came together easily. It was my first time using interfacing and everything, and I finished them in a couple of hours, even with kiddo interruptions.

Emily says:

I just discovered this pattern yesterday and made them for my 13 month old this morning! I ended up using ironing board elastics (same principle and cheaper than plain old suspender clips) and made these in less than an hour. I’m so glad I discovered this site, there are lots of adorable ideas. Now on to the bowties (and a matching one for hubby, from your repurposing post!) Thank you for posting your craftiness so others can do it as well.

Lillian says:

Hi! So glad I found yr site, I love this suspender tutorial. After reading it I have a question: what type of interfacing did u use? Fusible? Thick? Thin? I only have fusible so if I need to buy more I wanna know what to look for. Thanks!!!

Leslie says:

I just made these in about 20 mins… they are for my son’s Halloween costume to be a nerd. I love a good nerd :)

Anyway I absolutely love them and I am going to make them in other colors so he can wear them all the time :) BTW I refer people to your blog all the time!

Anna Caison says:

My little boy pants keeps falling so I tried a belt it does not work for him so tonight I will make him suspenders.
    Thank you so much for sharing!

I found this site after i bought stuff to make some for my son too. I bought those sheet holders they look just the same as the ones you have but four come in a pack

Hello, I make accessories for children, mostly girls. I think it’s awesome that you make accessories for boys because there are always less accessories available for them. I will visit your fb page and “like”. Your suspenders are adorable!

Star'sMom says:

that was great! … now, how did you make the matching bow tie???

once several years ago i had a brilliant idea and decided it would be my life’s passion so i ordered a minimum order of maybe 100 sets of suspender clips. Then i moved on to a new brilliant idea, so i’ve got all these suspender clips! if you’d like 4 of them for $2.00 plus $1.00 postage, please contact me via contact info on my website,

greetings, i just checked on the cost of the clips, found some at Jo-Ann fabrics for $2.99 for two. So, i’d like to change the price on the ones I am offering, evidentially I paid more for them than I thought. I will charge $3.00 for the 4 clips, plus $2.00 shipping. That way, a buyer can “buy” a $5.00 item on my etsy shop, (metal slides) leaving a note that it’s for suspender clips. Thank you!

Mindy says:

I just had someone request suspenders and a bow tie. Never having done this before, I Googled tutorials and, sure enough, there you were! I don’t know why I didn’t think about looking on your page at first. I love your easy to follow tutorials and have made many of your projects! Thanks for sharing your knowledge and creativity!

Veraty Kathryn says:

I accually made these for my best friend with just a girlier fabric! Since suspenders with skinny jeans are tottally in, she LOVED them!!!!

Autumn Ogletree says:

My 9 yo daughter just came up and asked me for some suspenders. Who knows why but I think this will work great for her thanks!

Bibi Cameron says:

where to get the pacifier clips? I read that it was difficult for you to get the pacifier clips to make this project and I understand you pretty well… I spend a fortune buying materials for my crafts and had to buy lots of beads that I didn’t need because I couldn’t get one single unite of each product. Then I develop a new idea, and it is selling small quantities of quality products at wholesale prices. I have suspender clips available for sale from £0.50 in my ebay shop. Postage with Royal Mail from £0.90… for those who can be interested

chana says:

Hi! I love this! What kind of Interfacing did you use? I went to the store and bought the wrong one… grrr..

Debbie says:

Thanks so much for posting this tutorial! Although she’s not a kid, she is my kid and I am making my pup some little doggy blue jeans and wanted some suspenders small enough for her. I couldn’t find the standard baby suspenders small enough (she’s chinese crested and poodle, only 10 lbs) so this tutorial was just what I needed! Thanks again!

Samantha says:

I make suspenders for my little boy all the time! Love the ones you have shown here. If you make them often I have found that you can buy ironing board cover clips instead of the fit clips. They run about $4 for 4 pairs at Joann fabrics. The elastic isn’t as good but I use vest buckles to make them adjustable.

Bec says:

Awesome tutorial thanks so much for sharing. I am loving the suspender trend. Now I can make so unique ones for my kiddos. Cheers, Bec :)

S. Danielle says:

Thank you for posting this! Wish I found it a day earlier, but will definitely be my “go to” going forward!! This was super easy.

Bambi says:

I’m about to endeavor this for a friends boy and then a set for my own kid. Thank you so much for the amazing tutorial.

One thing I have to mention and I hope people read down this far….Joann’s had the fit clips for mentioned for 4.49 for just one, but if you look around a little I got a pack of four ironing board cover fasteners for 3.99 and they are the exact same thing!!! Same clips but longer elastic. If you’re a thrifty crafter, you can make two sets for a quarter of the cost.