Make-a-Cake Series: Estelle, Part 3—Final

Did you notice the winner of the Mini Me Baby Gear giveaway?  Scroll down or click here.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Are you excited to learn how to finish the Estelle cake?
This is the fun part of cake decorating for me. All the work is done and you get to enjoy the finished product……(looks and taste!)
Here we go…onto the finishing touches.
One more time, here is the finished cake.

The supplies and steps are going to be very similar to part 2 of this series. So refer back if needed.
Here are the supplies:

(Left to Right)
  1. wooden dowels
  2. cornstarch
  3. star cookie cutter
  4. fondant cutter or pizza cutter
  5. black and pink FONDANT (last time it was gumpaste, make sure you use fondant this time)
  6. sucker sticks
  7. ruler
  8. Scissors  **
  9. Paint brush **
  10. Water **

** not pictured**

If your fondant is a bit stiff put it in the microwave for a few seconds to warm it up, then knead.
Roll out your black fondant and cut thin strips, making sure they measure at least 9 inches.  Remember to use a ruler and a fondant/pizza cutter to help with precision.

Pick up one strip at a time and brush the back with a small amount of water, making it sticky.  Make sure you don’t use too much or your fondant will slide off.

Place the fondant on the cake, starting in the middle and moving down the side.

I only do short strips on half the cake at a time, so I can make sure they stay straight and even.

Repeat until you have 16 total.
This is what it should look like after these steps.

Now trim the little “tails” off with a clean pair of scissors.

Roll out your pink fondant and cut out stars with your cookie cutter. Paint the back with water and place in the middle of the cake.
Start at the front of your cake and place three stars to one side and then 3 to the other. Continue on both sides until you reach the back. Use this technique just in case your stars don’t meet exactly right in the back.

Insert your now hardened stars (from this tutorial) into the top. Do it anyway that looks good to you.  Use more or less, whatever you like.

Now place your curls on top.
To get them to stick straight up, make a hole in the cake with your dowel and insert the curl.
If you are going to take this cake to a different location, like a party, wait until you get there to insert the curls. Then you won’t have any problems with them moving around.
If you are having a hard time getting them to sit still use some buttercream under the curl to secure them.

I finished the bottom of the cake with a little bit of complimentary ribbon.
After you are all finished, take your paint brush that is slightly damp with water and brush any cornstarch that may be left over. This will give your work a very clean look.

Now you are ready to impress everyone with your decorating skills!
Happy Decorating!
  Look at what is coming on Make-A-Cake Series:
  • Bake a better cake
  • Coloring Fondant
  • Stacking and icing a cake
  • Gumpaste Bow
  • Baby Shoes
  • Lots and lots more!

Filed under Make-A-Cake Series

Comments

27 Responses to “Make-a-Cake Series: Estelle, Part 3—Final”
    Jill says:

I'm most interested in learning to make fondant! Can't wait!!

Melanie says:

I love this series … please, keep it coming!

Rachel Phelan says:

Wow, thanks so much for sharing this! It looks like so much fun to make. I have a question though. What would you say an average time is to make this in one sitting?

Jessica :) says:

This is such a fun series! It really makes me want to start making my own cakes. Though I will admit that something about fondant still scares me a little – maybe because I've had virtually no experience with it {including eating}? This series is really fun! I always look forward to it!

Anissa says:

More, More! I want more in this series!

Brittany says:

Rachel– her is a guide what what each part took me.
    Covering the cake took about 20 minuets.
    The stars and curls took a 1/2 hour.
    Finishing the decorating took about a hour.
    So by the time you got your supplies out and then cleaned up. 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
    (After your baking time)

Jessica–I understand your feeling. I still get nervous! Just dive it….when you are all done the feeling is great!!

Mama Hen says:

I love this blog!! This is the first time I have seen it and I am now a follower! That cake is amazing! Visit me at Mama's Little Chick.

Mama Hen

B. Anastasia says:

I have always loved this blog because of all the tutorials but I love it so much more because of the cake series….I don't need any other blog!!!

Miss M! says:

Where did the excess powdered sugar go? Like, the pieces were covered in it, and at the end they weren't, but there was no step showing how it was cleaned off. At first I was thinking that maybe the fondant absorbed it but then I noticed that the backs of the star picks were still covered in the stuff.

Dawn says:

a tip. instead of using sissors to cut the fondant strips at the bottom, use a pizza cutter. you can get right up close to the bottom of the cake.

Crafty Batches says:

What a great idea/series! Can't wait to see whats next!
    -Andrea

Brittany says:

Miss M!– Most of the corn starch is on the back of pieces so I just leave it there. When I roll out the fondant there is corn starch under it and just a tiny bit on the other side.
    When you have some on the side you see just take a paintbrush (one you never used with paint) dipped a tiny bit of water and brush away the cornstarch.
    If that doesn't explain better just let me know and I will explain more! Thanks.

Dawn–Thanks for the tip, I am sure both would work great!

Kathleen says:

I'm so excited for more, more,more! I have been soaking up all your information and look forward to Tuesdays for you post!

Brenda says:

This looks WONDERFUL! WOW. Thanks for showing this.
    I think its' great…but would rather taste it to be sure. :}

香廷 says:

在莫非定律中有項笨蛋定律:「一個組織中的笨蛋,恆大於等於三分之二。」......................................................

Bird says:

FANTASTIC TUTORIAL!!!

Thank you for these amazingly helpful series!

Can you please, please do one on how to get the white fondant on?

Thanks,
    Bird

Carrie says:

I stumbled across this blog through a friend and I FELL IN LOVE! I am so excited about all the info…As of recent, I am a stay at home, and am looking for fun crafts to make for my daughter! I can not wait to make this cake for her birthday! (She will be 1 in November so I better start practicing now… :D) Thank you for sharing!

wilde times says:

So great…thanks! Can't wait for the homemade fondant!

KP says:

I cam across this blog when I was online searching for sewing tutorials and patterns. I LOVE it! There are so many interesting things.

Leslie says:

Love, Love, LOVE being able to learn this!!! Thank you!

Heather says:

This comment is late in coming, I'm a little behind on my blogging. Anyway, this cake is darling! And I have a suggestion… instead of using scissors to trim the fondant tails, just use your pizza/fondant cutter. So much easier to zip it around the cake and then all the tails make it to the bottom. This series is really fun, I love seeing your work! Thanks!

Valerie says:

I just wanted to tell you that I LOVE your tutorials. I have never decorated with fondant before, but you gave me the courage to try. Your tutorials were so easy to follow, and the results were great! Not perfect, but hopefully that will come with practice…. anyway- I will be posting about my attempt and linking back to your series at my blog http://www.occasionallycrafty.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Valerie@Occasionally Crafty

A Crazy Day Called Life says:

Great Cake!! I can't wait to make mine! How did you dye your Fondant Black and what is the secret to getting it to such a true black color? Thanks. Hopefully you can let me know soon. I am making a zebra cake for my daughter tonight! Thanks again. Love your blog!

Brittany says:

A Crazy Day Called Life– Just lots and lots of black food coloring. Just keep on adding it until its black. This makes it a little harder to work with but at it works.
    Good luck!!

april moses says:

so i made this cake, with your recipe of fondant and everyting. it turned out gorgeous of course, but I do have to say the fondant was very chewy after a couple of hours sitting on the cake. Any way to fix that problem or head it off? I was planning on making this cake again but in different colors for my daughter’s 4th birthday in Novemeber…

Nicole says:

How many days in advance can you make this cake? thanks for so many informative tutorials. I heard a tip that I have yet to try where the person said that they were able to get a very very smooth look by buffing the just covered cake with the extra fondant. Have you ever tried this? Thanks in advance, you rock!!

Jordana says:

I just came across this page while looking for ideas for a cake for my nephew’s birthday next week. I am an amateur baker, have no experience with fondant whatsoever. But I am the one who usually bakes goodies for any gathering, and I usually bake the birthday cakes and just frost with a spatula lol although I do make it from scratch at least! This post has inspired me to attempt to make MMfondant and try this idea. I will change it up and use shades of blue since it’s for a boy, but I’m excited to try this since your posts broke it down. You make it seem easy! Thanks again and I will be bookmarking this site for future reference :)