Boiled Peanuts……a real Southern Treat!!

We have been in Georgia for about 6 months now.

Something we noticed right away, was that there were many little stands on the side of the street that sold Boiled Peanuts.  (Also pronounced as “Bole-ed” Peanuts, by those with the charming southern accent.  Love it!)

It made sense, I guess.  This is the area perfect for producing peanuts.

But really?
People boil peanuts and eat them?
And they’re good?

Sounded strange to us…

Until I was given some to try.
(Thanks Kim!)

And actually, I am slightly addicted to this delicious little high-protein packed snack.

Just look at those delicious little peanuts.
Nice and boiled.

And once you crack them open…..yum.

What does a boiled peanut taste like?

Well, kind of like Edamame (especially the texture)…..and a bit like a garbanzo bean.  But still peanutt-y tasting.  Make sense?  Probably not.  Haha!

Hmmm….just a soft, yet firm little nutty-bean tasting snack.  With some added salt.  They’re pretty delicious.

But I guess, cajun is a popular flavor too.  At least that’s what all the little nut stands are selling.

Want to make some of your own?

My new sweet Georgian friend, Kim, taught me how.  (And has given me a lesson or two in common southern lingo.  Haha!  Thanks again!)

First start off with some green peanuts.  (Or peanuts for boiling.  Take a look in your grocery store…..you may just find some.)

You can see they’re not really green in color…
But this is how the look right out of the ground.  So wash them if they’re not already rinsed.

And if you crack one open, the little peanut is raw and very firm.

Toss your peanuts into a big pot and add plenty of water.  (You can even fill to the top with water……I just didn’t make a ton, and this is a large pot.  So I only filled halfway.)
Then add salt.
I read online that you can add a tsp for every gallon of water used and that’s what I did…..but it needed more salt.

Then turn your burner up to high and let the peanuts boil for several hours.
I was instructed to set my timer for 30 minutes at a time, check the water, add more water if necessary…….

…….then stir.
Then set for another 30 minutes and repeat.

Then check your peanuts between 1 1/2 – 2 hours.  Crack one open and see if they are soft, yet still a firm texture………..not at all mushy.  (And also check to see if they are salty enough for you.  If not, add more.)

If they’re not done, let them boil for another 30 minutes and then check again.

Once they’re done, drain off all of the water, grab your warm little pile of freshly boiled peanuts…..

………and enjoy!

Store the remaining peanuts in the fridge.  Peanuts will spoil if left out on the counter for too many hours.  Also, I read online that the peanuts can be frozen and enjoyed for several months.

What a great southern treat.

I sure am falling in love with this area for several reasons……and the charm of these little peanuts are sure adding to that list.

Filed under Appetizers, gluten free, Recipes

Comments

48 Responses to “Boiled Peanuts……a real Southern Treat!!”
    Carla G. says:

Hi Ashley! I live in Florida and we enjoy boiled peanuts on special occasions..I love the cajun flavor, it's my favorite! I grew up on roasted peanuts because that was what my Daddy preferred. It was only when I became an adult that I tried the boiled version. As my friend would say, they're de-lish!

Dara Lynn says:

AS a little girl, we always went to Georgia and Dad always bought boiled peanuts….I lOOOVVVEEE these!!!

Katie says:

I'm a Georgia native and I am SO glad you like them! Some people really hate them… it seems that they are one of those weird things that there is no middle opinion on… you either love or hate them! Here's a helpful tip… you can make them in the crock pot too! There are tons of recipes online for them, but they will be more mushy (which I like) than the method you're doing because you'll pull them before they get too far… still, its a great time saver to throw them in the ol' crock pot on a friday on my way out to work to have boiled peanuts all weekend long!

Su says:

You know what? I used to eat these (when I was a wee child) when I lived in Malaysia. We would buy them off street vendors and they would be steaming hot.
    So, wow, now I know how to make my own.

christinaea says:

Welcome to Georgia! I have lived in Georgia my entire life and am a little of a "boiled peanut a holic" :) I seem to crave the "side of the road" stand peanuts every time I get pregnant (which I am right now) and its always then that I have trouble finding a stand! Thanks for sharing your recipe… I am also thinking about doing some in my crock pot!

kladle says:

I live in Northern Florida (Tallahassee) which we often refer to as Southern GA as we are 10 minutes from Thomasville, GA. I have tried the boiled peanuts (pronounced bawl-d pnuts if you're a native). Just can't seem to like the soggy little things. I think I lived in the West for too long and like my peanuts crunchy. But, my hubby LOVES them. I'll pass this recipe on to him.

Cecilia says:

As a Georgian transplant to the Northeast, I sure do miss these things! Every time we make a visit home, boiled peanuts are on our list to eat while we're there. Yummy!

Erin says:

also… if they're boiled, you don't have to crack them open to eat them. you can eat the shell and all. sounds weird, but try it. honest.

Leah says:

They are great. I used to live in the panhandle of FL, we called it LA, lower Alabama. And they are sooo good. My toddler loved them too. We have moved up north and I am ashamed to say have forgotten about them. Thanks for the reminder. I'll have to cook some up!

Karena says:

Ashley,

I would love these for snacking, especally at work when I need extra protein! Wonderful site!

Karena
    Art by Karena

Jana says:

Ashley, I LOVE boiled peanuts and first ate them when I was younger living in Mississippi. I am also now a Georgian and am thankful I can pick them up at the little stands (or boil them myself too sometimes). Glad you like them. My husband thinks they are awful, but I "get" everything you said about how tasty they are! :)

Also, have been reading your blog for about 2 months now and love all of your creative ideas!

Chance says:

I had these many years ago & have longed for more every since! I never thought of trying to make my own! What a fabulous idea! Thanks for the inspiration! I can't wait to buy me some peanuts!

Sunshine of Seven says:

I'm glad you posted about boiled peanuts! We had some a few years back when we went to Florida, after playing at the beach!! The taste is unique and really YUMMY!:)

Natalie says:

LOVE boiled peanuts. It's a must buy while we're on vacation. I can only find them at roadside stands in Alabama on the way to Flordia. I've tried making them myself, but they're never quite right.

Shell says:

I'm Southerner & pnuts are just a part of my family's life lol. The flavored ones are to die for. I miss the cajun & garlic ones. There's a big flea market in Jacksonville, FL (Pecan Park) that sells all kinds of flavors, or at least they did when I lived close by. Glad you like them!

PDCScarbroughpage says:

whohoo! Ashley you're becoming a southener bit by peanutty bit!

Debra Joy says:

I grew up on these! Love them! My husband on the other hand, can't stand them. Oh well, more for me. :)

Lisa says:

We used to eat these in Hawaii all the time! I had so idea they were also a Southern treat :)

Trista says:

Be careful when you make them in a Crockpot. Your whole house will smell like peanuts.

Saige says:

Wow, welcome to Georgia! Isn't it a great state? 'Course I'm a bit biased since I've lived here all my life. :) I didn't start eating homemade boiled peanuts until later in life–as a child I grew up eating the ones from the yellow can with the monkey trainer on it…what's the name? Oh yeah, Rodenberry's. You usually can get them at Kroger for about a dollar. They're a very yummy substitute if you don't have time to make the real thing. :) Thanks so much for the tutorial on making them–I'll have to try to boil some soon. This post sure has me craving some right now!

Summer Braxton says:

Girl, you are making me miss home!! I'm a Floridian who just moved to northern VA a year ago…. YUCK!! There is nothing sweet and southern about this place.
    Boiled peanuts are huge family favorite of ours. We cannot go on a road trip without them (except now, here in VA). So glad you love them, too.

Jenn says:

i love them!! And now I need to make some! :) The cajun ones ARE great too!!

Jenni
    MissTutu.com

De Javu Crafts says:

wow i will have to try this! check out my satin flower tutorial http://dejavucrafts.blogspot.com/

Rafahi Family says:

I missed the post(s) where you mentioned moving to Georgia. I hope that you are settling in and loving it. I have a good friend who move there about a yr ago from the NW and she loves it too. I will send her the link to your blog, who knows, she might find out some new things and she can send you info about things she knows. :) Have a great weekend!

treppi says:

Right now you are probably getting the dried peanuts, just wait til they come into season and someone offers you a green boiled peanut.
    Just like sweetened iced tea, once you taste them, you'll wonder how in the world you made it this long without boiled peanuts.

Melissa says:

Thanks for sharing this – my only problem is I am now so craving boiled p-nuts hot out of the cooker. We are native Floridians and true southerners and have had boiled peanuts my entire life – but not the cajun ones just plain boiled in a pot with water and salt. My grandparents had one of those side of the road boiled pnut stands for years after he retired near Daytona to catch beach traffic and near Gainesville on Gator home games!!! So glad you have been converted to a pnut lover now just remember to have a big glass of sweet tea with them!!!

Cadiedid says:

Welcome to Georgia! Maybe all of us Georgia girls should get together! I love boiled peanuts but haven't had them in for.ever.!

CraftyBrit says:

I've been in GA for 2 1/2 years now and still haven't tried them ;P Maybe I will now, or maybe I'll make some myself! I'm in Kingsland, just above the FL/GA state line, right on the coast. Hope you're finding ways to stay cool this summer :)

Alala says:

I am a born and raised Georgia girl and I LOOOOOVE me some boiled peanuts. I can't believe that they're not everywhere. Enjoy them!!!

Averie and Josie says:

I moved to GA in high school. I love boiled peanuts now, but I didn't at first. I do kind of think that they are an aquired taste. My kids can't get enough of them. My MIL freezes them and then just thaws them out when we want some. She puts them back in hot water just long enough to warm them back up. Glad you like GA!! :)

Beth says:

Ha Ha! We moved to Florida from Utah about 9 months ago and just yesterday my husband and I were talking about all the stands on the sides of the road for boiled peanuts. My husband said he tried some and they were terrible. Then he revealed that he ate the whole thing, shell and all! I told him that you're supposed to shell them before you eat them, but he says he's been scarred for life. I haven't tried them yet, I'll have to stop and try some next time I go out to JoAnns!

littledaisymay says:

Boiled peanuts are my absolute fave! I grew up beside many peanut fields and ate so many during the summer :)

The Youngbloods says:

Yum Yum Yum! Gotta love some boiled peanuts.
    I recommend soaking them overnight in salt water before cooking them. This little hint helped with the taste!

Liz says:

Wow! I had NO idea. May have to find me some raw peanuts to give this a try. They sure do look yummy!

Liz

Dilla says:

Hi Ashley,
    Back in my country (Malaysia), these boiled peanuts are selled throughout the year at places like farmers market. I think some of the stalls keep the peanuts on a steamer to make sure they're always warm.

Rachel L Riley says:

I live in Charleston and there are stands all over the place. My mouth watered while reading your blog! I think I will have to go visit Tony the Peanut Man down the street :)

Danny & Crystal says:

I loved the boiled peanuts while visiting in Florida! We would get them & enjoy them as a snack at the beach! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Andrea says:

I was born and raised in south GA, so I finally had to comment (been reading via Google Reader for a while).

Boiled peanuts are truly a delicacy of the South – my husband is from TX, and first son was born in TX and neither care for them, but my 2nd son was born here in South GA like me, and he loves them!

Try throwing a few sliced jalapenos in the water when boiling – nice little kick!

whitharrell says:

You can also make them in a crock pot! Delish! And not as much mess!

ashley says:

hi ashley, im ashley too ! my dad used to toss them in pressure cooker to speed up the cooking time. taste as good as steamed/boiled !

Junie Moon says:

My family is from N.C. and boiled peanuts are one of our favorite treats. Folks new to them should take note of what you said that green peanuts are fresh from the ground and not the dried peanuts found in the produce section at the grocery store. They can tell the difference by the earthy smell and the slightly damp feel to the peanuts. Our favorite way to eat them after boiling is to crack the shells and then suck the juice out of them before opening and getting out the lovely soft goodness of the peanuts themselves. Thank you for sharing a treat I love.

Neisa Marie says:

I was born and raised in Florida. Four years ago I moved to Canada. I had no idea that boiled peanuts were a southern thing? When I wanted some and couldnt find any I was very confused so I started asking around and people looked at me like I was an idiot. They also sell them canned in the grocery stores down home. Anyways glad to see that youre sharing the amazing-ness that is boiled peanuts with the rest of the world.

Michelle says:

I am in south Alabama, Mobile to be exact and I LOVE boiled peanuts. This post made me laugh because I was flooded with the memory at my attempt to make boiled peanuts when I was probably 19 or so. I bought peanuts and salt and went to boiling…..the peanuts would not get soft so I kept boiling and kept pouring salt. After 1 full day of cooking them and they were just as hard as in the beginning, I gave up. Come to find out you have to buy a special type of peanut….who would have ever known, lol, I didn't ha ha.

Samantha says:

Welcome to Georgia!! I love boiled peanuts, growing up we used to grow the peanuts, pick them (which is a real pain) and boil them. They never really lasted all that long, but we actually did can them (i.e. in Mason Jars).

I've recently found this site and I have to say, I absolutely love it! I'm itching to try about a ton of the projects that you have posted, and I'm working on a few of my own for my own blog (which is pretty new and I don't usually have a lot of time to post with two daughters under two years old, but I'm working on it).

Look me up some time! http://adventuresofsupermommy.wordpress.com

(Don't know what part of Georgia you're in, but I'm in Augusta!)

KAM Avenue says:

I live in Singapore and we eat peanuts with porridge and chinese soup too! :)

Cynthia says:

Add a bag of crab boil, some red pepper flakes and garlic powder to the salted water when you boil your peanuts. When done, eat with cold beer. Yummy!