Spaghetti Squash with Meatballs

Do you have mealtime family favorites?
Well, one of our family’s favorite vegetables (technically a fruit?) is spaghetti squash.

Oh, yum.

And my kiddos who absolutely adore noodles and think they need to
eat noodles for every meal, snack, and appetizer…..
…..think that spaghetti squash is noodles.
Perfect in my book.
We love eating the spaghetti squash in place of noodles with plump meatballs and sauce……creates a delicious meal.

**Sorry for the lack of a picture, but if you cut into that meatball, there is a delicious mozzarella center.  I’m not kidding when I say that I want to make these 3 times a week.
Interested in making your own?
To bake the squash, cut in half, scoop out the seeds and other debris, and lay open side up on a baking sheet.  Add about a tablespoon of butter to each half and place in the oven at 400 degrees (F) for about 45 minutes to an hour.  Time depends on the size of your squash.  You can also cook in the microwave….there’s usually a sticker on the squash with directions.  (Also, you can skip the butter…..I just love the flavor, yum!)  Depending on the size of the squash, you may need a little more or a little less time.  When it’s done, you will be able to fork apart all of the little string-like pieces.  And if you taste one, it shouldn’t be too crunchy but also don’t be expecting a soft noodle.  They are a bit firmer than that.
I found the recipe for the mozzarella stuffed meatballs here.
Go on and give that squash a try.
It’s a delicious alternative.

Comments

33 Responses to “Spaghetti Squash with Meatballs”
    Miss Makes-a-lot says:

wow! this looks delish and so healthy…i must try! :D

1 Funky Woman says:

I need to try this. My in-laws have a huge country garden and they grow spaghetti squash and eat it once or twice a week in the summer. It has never looked that appealing to me. Thanks for your presentation because it really looks good!

Strand Family says:

I love spaghetti squash. And so easy to prepare. I make it with a little bit of butter and parmesean cheese sprinkled on top.

Sarah says:

I seriously have a HUGE spaghetti squash sitting on my counter – staring at me for the last two days. This is a great inspiration. Thanks!

What do you do with the rest of the squash? I was thinking of roasting and pureeing into a soup.

CourtneyKeb says:

I'm really just going to have to venture out and try this. It looks like a winner!

brlracincwgrl says:

I've not yet tried this but it looks like a must! Not to mention, it's a healthier version of spaghetti and meatballs – winner in my book! :)

Carol B says:

droooooooooool!

wish I knew where to find spaghetti squash……
    never tried it

Little Mrs Domestic says:

We have tried this and never can get the squash to do right. Need to look back into it. Thanks for the reminder. It looks really yummy. I love hiding shredded zuchini in food too. :)

Melinda says:

I will have to try this! We never have pasta because my husband is diabetic and pasta has too many carbs. I imagine squash is way better in total carbs and might be something he could enjoy.

Lynette says:

Ooh! I'm definitely making the meatballs tonight!!!

Lacey says:

We inherited a Spaghetti Squash when our friends moved last week and I've had no idea what to do with it! THANKS SO MUCH!

Nikki - Lilybug_Designs says:

Yum! I just recently discovered spaghetti squash. I wish I had known of it sooner. I will definitely have to try it with the meatballs.

Sarah says:

It looks fabulous! Great suggestion, especially for people who watch their pasta intake. Love it!

Pink Heather says:

Looks yummy. I'm growing spaghetti squash this year so I'm going to try it!

I'm Just Sayin' - Kerri says:

I have noticed you don't do blog awards, but I did give you one, a kreativ award, which you totally deserve. I won't be hurt if you never mention it or pass it on, but I just love your blog and wanted to you know!

Thanks for all the wonderful ideas.

Debi says:

My grandson LOVES plain noodles and not so big on veggies. I love the spaghetti squash but never thought of cooking it for him. We have to sneak veggies in wherever we can so I will definitely give this a try!

Mellisa says:

Yum! I have made that before but I have also made a lasagna too. (a small one) Ground chicken, spaghetti sauce and squash to replace the noodle. Very tasty.

Sam and His Parents (Angie and Brian) says:

I make acorn squash and butternut squash for my son often, but haven't made spaghetti squash. He is only 12 months old, but I think that he would like it.

Kama says:

You can also cut it in half, wrap it in plastic wrap and microwave it on high in 1/4 cup of water for 7-10 minutes. Good deal!

Mary says:

OK YUM! Thanks for sharing! I love love love your blog!

Kim Eppley says:

Well, I was about to e-mail you and ask for this recipe as Tom tried it at school the other day and is in LOVE! Thanks!

Meet Virginia says:

This looks so so yummmm!!!

~Morgan

Meet Virginia!
    Meet Virginia!
    Meet Virginia!

Rachel says:

Wow looks so good I am totally going to try this, I never know what to do with squash!!

Kara@ Creations by Kara says:

This looks delish! I've always wanted to try spaghetti squash, but haven't had the chance. Maybe we'll have to plant some this year. :)

That looks absolutely amazing! I'm definitely going to try this soon!

Trisha says:

THANKS for the dinner idea!!!
    I made this tonight and it was a culinary success:)
    I had a spaghetti squash that was just taking up space in my fridge!

Leonie says:

wow! i want to find some spaghetti squash too! Do they grow it Australia I wonder? going to find out :)

Natalie says:

Oh YUM! Thanks so much for sharing. My doctor has me off grains for now, so I can substitute the bread crumbs in the meatballs and will thoroughly enjoy this!

Lynette says:

made the meatballs and loved them! enjoying leftovers for lunch today!

Justine says:

looks delicious!

Heather says:

I made the meatballs earlier this week, and they were so delicious! Even though I altered the recipe for only 1 lb of meat, our little family of 3 didn't have any leftovers. I will have to try it with spaghetti squash next time – if only I can sneak that fact past my anti-veggie husband.

Cheryl says:

I make spaghetti squash as a pasta replacement too – it is delicious. You can also cook it face down with a bit of water in the pan, helps to steam it as it cooks, and put fork holes through the skin.

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...