Sewing Tips: Gathering and Sewing With Knits

I know, it’s been a while since my last sewing tips.

(Click here for other basic sewing tips.)

But many of you asked about the stitch that I used with this shirt.

Remember how I explained at the bottom of the post that I asked my mom about sewing with knits and she mentioned that crooked little zig-zag stitch. Well, many of you asked if I could show more of what that looked like.

Here is the stitch on my machine.

That squashed looking zig-zag, listed as #42.

Here is what the stitch looks like on some knit. Notice the difference between the left and the right. The stitch on the left has a wide stitch length…..actually up to the max that it will go. And the one on the right has a small stitch length. It’s all bunched up and rippling the fabric. So play around with it and see what knits it works on best for you.

**And if you’ll notice the shape of the stitch………it will allow the stitch to stretch, unlike a straight stitch where there is no give to it. But is more narrow and less noticeable than a regular zig-zag stitch. But that being said…….I still prefer the ease of the zig-zag on some knits. So play around with it and see what works for you.

Onto another question. Gathering.

Such a simple technique……after you see how it’s done. However, if I have just said, “gather along one side”, that probably has really confused some of you.

So here is the basic idea of gathering fabric. (though there are many techniques out there….) You’ll want to make a basting stitch, which is a really long stitch length. The stitch on the right is a basting stitch and the one on the left is a regular stitch. See the difference in stitch length? (Click on image to enlarge.)

But make sure not to back-stitch on either end. And leave each of your thread ends a few inches long.

Now, looking at that basting stitch, you’ll see that there is the top thread and a bottom one at each end of your stitch.

Grab a hold of the top string and pull as you slide the fabric along the thread, gathering as you go.

Keep pulling and gathering…..

And then pull from the other end, but be sure to pull on the top thread as well.

The if you’re attaching it to another piece of fabric, turn it over so that right sides are facing each other………

And then pin the ends together. But if it is gaping…..

Just pull gently on the thread (the one that was on the top, but now is on the bottom because you flipped your fabric over) and slide the gathers along until they are even.

Now, if you were to sew right along that basting stitch and flip your fabric right side out, it would look something like this. But mine is just pinned, so just imagine with me…..

Make sense?

I hope that helps a bit more for those who had questions about both techniques.

Comments

93 Responses to “Sewing Tips: Gathering and Sewing With Knits”
    Nobodys Nothings says:

thank you so much for your beginning sewing tips! things like that seem so simple to most people on DIY websites, but to someone like me… who has ZERO seamstress skills, and no one around to show her, your site is absolutely invaluable. i just wanted to let you know how much i appreciate you taking the time to make posts like this one!!!

Jamee says:

it looks like you have the same machine as me and i am having a problem (futura) I want to buy applique designs or even embroidery designs and can not figure out how when i buy them they send me the design how to get it in my futura program on the computer so that i can send it to the machine. don't know if you ever want to do a tutorial on that but if you do i would love it. i will keep watching for all the beautiful things you make i love your blog

Liz Gibson says:

Thank you so much, just as Nobodys Nothing said, I have no experience and no one to turn to. This is exactly what I needed. Keep up the great work.

Kimbo West says:

how about you just give me a smiggen of your talent? a spoonful? a drop? I'll take what I can get!

CourtneyKeb says:

Very handy. I'm a sewing newbee so sometimes I just have to experiment and hope I'm doing things right.
    I was surely thankful to stumble upon this for useful tips! Thanks!!!

Allison and Mason: says:

This is great!! I have been wondering how to gather for forever! Thank you!

bxmama says:

Is it possible you were reading my mind?! I was wandering the web aimlessly & thinking it would be nice to find a site or blog that made ruffled edges easy for a newbie like me and guess where I landed?! Thanks so much!

Lynn from For Love or Funny says:

I HATE sewing on knits. Perhaps I should try the knit stitch that you use…

Lindsay Riggs says:

I love gathering. I use the same technique as you. I have never tried gathering knit fabric and want to try. Do you think it will be problematic?

The leader says:

oh, THAT'S how to gather! I never quite understood until now. Thank you so much!

Fortunately, my 3 year old desn't yet know the difference between a nice gathered skirt and a "hmm, i guess this is good enough for a toddler" stitch. :-) Perhaps next time i'll try it the correct way.

Audrey says:

I love to sew, but heck if I ever do it the easy way! Thanks for the tips, who would of thought gathering was so easy?! Keep the tips coming! Now if I could only figure out how to read a pattern!

Amy says:

Thanks for the tips, I wondered which stitch would be best for knits, so I'll give this a go!

Marjorie says:

Thank you!!! Thank you!!!!

The Pittmans says:

Thanks so much.. your blog has me making cute little flowers!
    I need all the tips I can get, so keep up the good work!

Jenette says:

Making my gathers look good is always an issue for me… I totally need more practice at it. A tip my mom gave me is to do two basting stitch a gather them both that way if one thread breaks–which has happend to me, you don't loose it all.

Erin says:

Thank you! I, too, am (slowly) teaching myself to sew. This post was VERY helpful.

Amy Kirchhoff says:

Oh my goodness! Yours is quickly becoming my favorite blog. Others have good "beginner" projects but sometimes seem to forget just how beginner some of us are. (I've never even touch thread, needle, or a sewing machine until a couple of weeks ago, but my 2010 resolution was to learn to sew. I've been totally inspired by all you bloggers!) Thank you for explaining everything so throughly and WITH PICTURES! You're a great teacher.

Meet Virginia says:

This is so awesome! Thanks a ton for the great tip!!

~Morgan

Bloggy Mama says:

You are fabulous. Thank you for all the awesome posts.

elliemargaret says:

So I'm determined to learn how to sew my own clothes. I hate looking at all those embellished shirts everywhere and thinking that it can't be that hard! But I need a little recommendation, where do you buy cheap jersey knit? I'd hate to go spend a lot of money on some fabric just to ruin it on my first few projects, which I know realisticly won't turn out. Any tips? Thanks!

Nancy's Couture says:

Thank you so much for the tip on knit fabric. I just start really getting into the knits so this was a big help. Thank You!!!!!!

Angela Hansen says:

that was great, I usually gather and then spread it out to fit when attaching the other fabric. Your method of pinning the edges and then finish the gather is much easier. Love your blog.

Sew It To Me says:

I love that you put sewing tips on here!

Kristi at Spend Less and Save More says:

I sew love your blog! You have the best tips ever. In fact, I have awarded you a Sunshine Award here: http://www.spendlessandsavemore.net/2010/03/i-just-got-sunshine-award.html

Jamee – Sorry, I don't think we have the same machine. mine is a Singer Precision but doesn't do any sort of embroidery. Though i wish it did. Sorry about that!

elliemargaret – I have found clearance jersey knit at Hancock Fabrics several times. But I was told by a few readers about a great online shop:

I have checked it out and will be placing an order with them but haven't yet. But the prices are pretty good and the site came highly recommended by several people.

hope that helps!! :)

Melissa says:

Thank you for the tips as I've been sewing for years but these two areas are my worst. I've tried that zigzag before but it ate at my knit fabric, now I know I need to lengthen my stitches.

I've done lots of gathering over the years and I always have problems at the end when sewing it to another piece. Do you sew the stitch over the basting stitch that you have gathered? Or to the left of it? Do you remove the basting stitch afterwards?

I recently made two knit ruffle scarves for my girls and I was hoping you could help me because the gathering didn't stay in some areas. Since the stitches would obviously be seen do I just stitch right over the basting stitch? Hmmm…maybe I should go try another one knit scarve using the gathering technique AND the zigzag stitch you showed us. Thanks, Melissa

Parkin Family says:

Thanks for the tips! Maybe when I figure out how to thread my machine I will attempt that technique some day. LOL!
    Keep the tips coming please!

No Melissa, don't pull the basting stitch out. Just sew right over the top. No need to even worry about it. Nice and easy!! hope that helps!

Crafty Batches says:

Thank you so much for the gathering tips, trying it out for the first time tonight! ~Sam

Beth Nicholls says:

Looks like a cute little dress! Really appreciate you sharing the basics as sometimes even beginners' books start pretty far on. Love your site!
    Beth

Tessa and Adam says:

Ashley! Your rock my world! I just found this website and love it. I have never been really good with crafts, but you just make it so simple to learn and create! I already have 3 projects lined up for this weekend. Keep blogging! I love it.

Bonnie says:

Thanks for the tips! I've learned sooo much!

What does "clip valleys, notch mountains" mean and why do you trim the seam allowances?

bjahlstrom says:

I have been looking all over for a clear explanation on a basting stitch! You rock!

Amy says:

Thanks for the tips! Is it necessary to use a ball-point needle when sewing knits? I always thought so, but a friend of mine said it isn't. Do you use one?

Brantonians says:

Thanks so much! I spent a long time last night trying to figure out why my straight stitch wouldn't gather!

SHILLIG4FAMILY says:

How do you make your stitch longer for a basting stitch? Is it a setting on your machine?

Yes, adjusting the stitch length is a setting on your machine. Sometimes it's a knob or a dial or even a digital button. Take a peek in your user's manual to find how to adjust the length. (It will usually have a little picture of a dotted line getting bigger and bigger…..)

Will says:

K, well I'm just going to join the overwhelming number of commenters who've thanked you for making this Sewing Tips section. I too am trying to learn how to sew and it's so hard to find good tutorials on certain techniques. I really appreciate the clarity in your posts and your willingness to (for lack of a better term) dumb things down for us. Keep up the good work – I love your site!

Miss Dot says:

Haha! Sorry, apparently my husband was still logged in when I posted ^^that comment^^. That was from me :) Although, he HAS helped me figure out stuff on my sewing machine before ;)

Barbie says:

Thank you SO much. I've been trying to learn how to sew (through the internet & just trying it out). My mother used to sew clothes for me all the time, but passed away before she could teach me. Now that I'm a mother, I figured I'd give it a go. I love how clothing looks when it does this, but I could never figure out how to do it. You're a life-saver. Thanks!

Tiffany says:

Oh my goodness, I just picked up sewing again (been like 15 years) and I’m gathering a ruffle on my little girls first dress. I was so intimidated on how to do it! And now … this is going to be so easy! Thank you thank you thank you!!

Betty says:

love this site……..took turtle pattern and made pincushion….everyone loves it….love the re-purpose ideas..and yes would u do how to use feet tutorials……..betty

Maggie says:

When I went to my first sewing class (since I didn’t take advantage of a mother who sewed EVERYTHING we wore), I was taught a quick technique for gathering which is really useful for waistbands and such. Get some narrow elastic to the length desired – we used a natural colored non-woven elastic – and fold it in half, then in half again. Mark at the fold, unfold the elastic, and now you have it marked in quarters. Do the same with your fabric. Line up the marks and pin. At this time, you’ll have saggy fabric between the pins. Go to your sewing machine, set up the proper settings (use a zig-zag or other stretch stitch), and then line up your fabric for sewing. Sew a few stitches in the end, and then hold the fabric/elastic behind the needle with your left hand and stretch the fabric/elastic until the fabric is straight. Hold in place and sew to the first pin. Pull the pin, and pull the next section and sew to the next pin. Repeat until all four sections are done, lock your stitches, cut your threads, and voila! Your fabric is now evenly gathered.

Hi says:

I can’t sew with knit. I mean I can, but…it doesn’t always turn out very well. Normally it’s stretched or bunchy. Maybe it’s just my machine…or maybe it’s just me…either way, I don’t really like to sew on knit.

Brooke says:

I just wanted to say that I freaking love your blog. I am still new to sewing, but your tutorials give me so much confidence, and my projects come out good…. really good! Thank you!

Samantha says:

I’ve been wondering something about the whole gathering and ruffles thing. When you sew it down, should I try to sew directly on the gathering stitch, underneath it, above it??? I’ve recently destroyed a project that needed ruffles and this tutorial was really helpful. I’ve just found it hard to understand how it stays ruffle(y) when the thread is going to just fall out because you don’t back stitch. Do you pull the thread out after you sew it down??

• 46.1.1

Yes, you stitch right over the basting stitch……….or at least try. And usually you can’t pull the original thread out if you’ve sewn over it too much……but sometimes you can pull it right out. And as long as you have your fabric pinned down, it will stay pretty well before you have to sew it in place.

Hope that helps!

marilyn says:

I use my ruffler if I’m making a skirt with tiers, when I’m w/o the ruffler,(they do wear out after alot of fluffy sewing :+) I use a giant,loose zig-zag over fishing line. I anchor the end of fishing line by making a lot of figure 8s around a straight pin, and pinning it securely to the edge of the strip to be gathered. When you’re ready to gather your strip, it slithers smoothly on the fishing line, no broken threads! I’ve made a hilariously full net petticoat this way, and a number of tiered tricot slips (the kind little girls wear under a poufy party dress) If your little girl likes gathered ruffles, you will LOVE using a ruffler.!

I used your tutorial today on gathering, but I’ve got a question. It was easy to do this with the first few inches of fabric, but I had a long strip (was doing the gathering on the shirt to shrug tute you have), and I couldn’t do it past a few inches. Like, it just stopped pulling the fabric in. I tried to adjust the material down the thread, but it just wasn’t working. Any tips? (btw, the shrug still looks cute without all the ruffles! I just focused them around the front of the shoulders – loving it so far!)

selma says:

i have some stretch denim i want to finally use to make some slipcovers. I prewashed and it shrunk quit a bit for my taste…but when i sewed the cushion after cutting the pattern out, it seemed a little big. Like the 1 in i gave for seam allowance was too much. Im new to this so I wondered, should I cut it true to size? since the material has some give? The material was so wrinkly I had to press/steam it to make it smooth, which is why i thought this would be a good choice, I was hoping the material would fit smooth and fit snug…any ideas what to do? i havent cut another piece out of fear…and not wanting to waste material.

kelly says:

whoa man, thanks so much for this! i’m starting to make clothes for our kids and this helped a lot for girls skirts. thanks so much!

Gg says:

Amazing. Thank you sooo much!!!! I can now do so many more projects!!

sorahart says:

What’s your experience like using elastic to gather? I keep hearing it mentioned but wasn’t sure how exactly it’s done.
    Just curious if you had any insight. Thanks!

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. [...] your stitch length and try again.  Sew slowly.  And try other stitch options, like explained here.) Now, attach the back main piece to the other edge of the sleeves, making sure that you are [...]

2. [...] It’s just a raw edge.) Need help with basting stitches and gathering?  Click here for more info. Then I gathered in the bottom ruffle and pinned it to the bottom of the base piece, [...]

3. [...] along the top of each strip, a 1/4 inch from the top.  (Need help with gathering?  Click here.)  Then gather each ruffle in until it’s the same width as your lining tube.  [...]

4. [...] a nice simple ruffle.    (Need help with gathering/making ruffles?  Click here.) The scarf is just 2 pieces of cotton, sewn together along each long edge (with right sides [...]

5. [...] sew a basting stitch and then do all of the ruffling on your own. (Need help? Visit this post here.)  Or you can just gather with your fingers and slide it under the needle as you sew.  [...]

6. [...] pulled the end string to gather each strip up a bit.  (Need help with gathering?  Click here.) Then select where you’d like to place your flowers.   Begin making the first one [...]

7. [...] I made large basting stitches all the way across the green section (using the gathering technique here), connecting each row of pins, and making sure to not back-stitch at either end.  And the very [...]

8. [...] (in green below) to attach the ruffle to the dress.  (Need help with gathering?  Click here.) I finished with a dress that was just the length I wanted. So keep that in mind as [...]

9. [...] outer edge of the shrug, with right sides together.  (Need help with gathering?  Click here for more info.) Then I sewed right along that outer edge, attaching the ruffle to the shrug, [...]

10. [...] Use the basting technique like shown in the above gathered pillow link or this gathering tutorial here.  Pull on your thread ends and gather/shrink down the pillow until it is the same size as your [...]

11. [...] inside out and upside down, to be placed together with the bottom of the dress? Then I used this technique to stitch those sections together, using about a 1/2 seam allowance.  You can also use a [...]

12. [...] help you with temporarily holding fabrics in place or to use to gather fabric (gathering tutorial here). If you adjust the stitch width of the zig-zag stitch, you’ll get wider [...]

13. [...] down the center of your 3 ruffles.  (Need help with basting stitches and gathering?  See the post here.) Gather your stack of strips down to about an 8 inch long ruffle and place on the front of your [...]

14. [...] of the circles of chiffon, 1/4 inch away from the top edge.  (Need help with gathering?  Click here for me info.)  Then I pulled the threads, cinching in the [...]

15. [...] until it is as wide as the shower curtain piece.  (Need help gathering?  Check out this post here.) And pin the ruffled piece to the main shower curtain piece, every few inches. Until [...]

16. [...] Next, place the front piece and back piece together with right sides together and sew along both sides of the dress…….using a zig-zag stitch, a serger, or other knit friendly stitches (like the one here). [...]

17. [...] went to one of my favorite blogs and found this tut on gathering [...]

18. [...] So pin up the bottom layer of pleats………to keep it out of the way.  Then make a basting stitch along the top of the main piece and gather it in to the same width as your pleated piece.  (Need help with gathering?  Click here.) [...]

19. [...] stitch at one side seam along the front and ending at the other side. Repeat for the back. (See this post from Make It and Love It about creating ruffles for more details on this step. Don’t worry [...]

20. [...] Then, sew a basting stitch right down the center of each long strip.  Don’t back stitch at each end.  (Need help gathering?  Click here.) [...]

21. [...] Th&#1077n, sew a basting stitch (w&#1110th &#1091&#959&#965r fixed needle) a 1/4 inch fr&#959m th&#1077 edge &#959f one &#959f th&#1077 long edges &#959f each strip.  Now gather each strip up.  (Need h&#1077l&#1088 w&#1110th gathering?  Click here.) [...]

22. [...] Th&#1077n, sew a basting stitch r&#1110ght down th&#1077 center &#959f each long strip.  Don’t back stitch &#1072t each &#1077nd.  (Need h&#1077l&#1088 gathering?  Click here.) [...]

23. [...] Now, grab your 3rd tier and place a basting stitch all the way around the top edge, a 1/4 inch from the top.  (I always place a basting stitch along the front half and then another stitch along the back half.  It’s easier to gather in 2 sections rather than all the way around with one seam.)  Gather it in until it’s the same width as the bottom of tier 2.  (Need help with gathering?  Click here.) [...]

24. [...] Now, grab &#1091&#959&#965r 3rd tier &#1072nd &#1088l&#1072&#1089&#1077 a basting stitch &#1072ll th&#1077 way around th&#1077 top edge, a 1/4 inch fr&#959m th&#1077 top.  (I permanently &#1088l&#1072&#1089&#1077 a basting stitch b&#1091 th&#1077 side &#959f th&#1077 front half &#1072nd th&#1077n another stitch b&#1091 th&#1077 side &#959f th&#1077 back half.  It’s simpler t&#959 gather &#1110n 2 sections r&#1072th&#1077r th&#1072n &#1072ll th&#1077 way around w&#1110th one seam.)  Gather &#1110t &#1110n until &#1110t’s th&#1077 same width &#1072&#1109 th&#1077 bottom &#959f tier 2.  And line up th&#1077 side seam &#1110n th&#1077 back.  (Need h&#1077l&#1088 w&#1110th gathering?  Click here.) [...]

25. [...] Now, you can sew a basting stitch and gather in each vertical line of gathers (more on gathering here) but I just pinched it and gathered it with my fingers as I sewed.  I made 3 vertical gathers [...]

26. [...] (Need some guidance on gathering?  Click here for a great tutorial.) [...]

27. [...] one edge.  Way better instructions here (and her site is awesome too)  you want the end result to be about an inch longer than the length [...]

28. [...] a basting stitch &#1072nd gather &#1110n each vertical line &#959f gathers (more &#959n gathering here) &#1072nd th&#1077n &#1112&#965&#1109t sew over th&#1077 basting stitch t&#959 attach th&#1077 belt [...]

29. [...] Then cut several strips out of your Tshirts (or knit fabric), whatever size you’d like.  My strips were about 3/4 of an inch wide…..but this can vary, depending on taste and the size of heart.  And for the length, make then about 2-2.5 times longer than the area that they will be sewn to.  So if your heart is 7 inches wide at the top, make your strip about 14 – 18 inches long.  Then start gathering in your strips and sew them right down to your heart, sewing right on top of the basting stitch that gathered up your strip.  (Need help with gathering?  Click here.)  [...]

30. [...] of ruffled purse vinyl to the toe section of the shoe.  (Need help with gathering/ruffling?  Go here.)  Also, there’s no need to hem under the little strips because leather/vinyl won’t [...]

31. [...] of ruffled purse vinyl to the toe section of the shoe.  (Need help with gathering/ruffling?  Go here.)  Also, there’s no need to hem under the little strips because leather/vinyl won’t [...]

32. [...] Now, with the horizontal seam along the center back and the raw edges at the top, sew a basting stitch along the top front half and another along the back half, leaving the ends free for gathering.  (Need help with gathering?  Go here.) [...]

33. [...] don’t have a good tutorial for, is ruffles and gathering fabric.  Okay, I do have an old one here.  But I didn’t add enough info to that tutorial, so here’s TAKE 2.  Mostly because I [...]

34. [...] Now, with the horizontal seam along the center back and the raw edges at the top, sew a basting stitch along the top front half and another along the back half, leaving the ends free for gathering.  (Need help with gathering?  Go here.) [...]

35. [...] for the ruffle, or as Takako calls it, the frill.  (I love it!)  You can refer again to the gathering tutorial over at Make it and love it.  I cut about a 3 inch strip of fabric the width of the fabric (about 44 inches).  I sewed a long [...]

36. [...] later on)……and then I gathered in the material. (Need help with gathering?  Click here for more info.)       Then I placed a pin in the exact center of the front and back of the [...]

37. […] about half the size.  Hem all sides of the curtain and gather the top. (Need help with gathering? Make It and Love it has a great […]