Decorate My Home, Part 10: Gathered Curtains with Ties

I had to finish my bedroom.

Remember the pillows I made here, here, and here?
Well, I had to splash more of that fabric by Amy Butler up on my windows.

Some serious vibrance.

All neatly gathered below a panel of floppy ties at the top.

I’m in love with this fabric…..but you probably already knew that.

Want to make some of your own?

I made 2 hanging panels to cover our bedroom window, but I will give you the directions to make one panel. (my window measures 70 inches wide by 52 inches tall.

First, I cut a panel for the top of the curtains that was 38 x 11 inches. I ironed the very ends towards the inside of the fabric, 1/2 an inch.

Then I used 4 yards of fabric, that was 45 inches wide, and cut it into two 2 yard pieces……so 2 pieces that were 45 x 72 inches. Then I sewed the two pieces together (with right sides together) along their long side (72 inch side). So I had a great big piece that was 90 x 72 inches.

I then hemmed the sides of this great big piece by folding the edge over a 1/4 inch and then another 1/4 inch and then sewed it into place. (You are sewing the 72 inch sides.)

Then, I made a basting stitch 1/2 inch from the edge along the width of the fabric (the 90 inch side) and gathered the fabric all along the top. Then I pinned it to the long edge of the top panel, with right sides together. Make sure to evenly space all of your gathers.

Sew the 2 pieces together, right along that original seam line. (make sure the folds that you ironed on the ends of your top panel, are still folded towards the wrong side of the fabric as you sew.)

Then fold the other edge of your top panel towards the inside a 1/2 inch and iron in place.

Then fold down and line up that edge with the seam you just made while attaching the gathered piece to the panel. Pin into place.

Then carefully sew from the other side and remove your pins as you go. (If it seems a little too tricky to lift up the panel to remove a pin each time you reach one, put the pins on the front of the panel instead, to secure the back of the panel in place.) This step will help the front lay flat and finished while securing the other edge of the panel down to the back. And you want to sew from the front so that you can watch as you’re sewing and make an even stitch across the front.

Now, sew the entire panel flat. Then sew the ends of the panel closed, making a seam really close to the edge.

Then I cut 6 strips of fabric that were 40 x 3 inches. (there are 12 in this picture because they are for both of my panels.)

Then I folded them in half lengthwise and sewed them along the long side, with a 1/2 inch seam allowance. Then I turned them right side out and ironed them flat. (click here if you need help turning them right side out.)

Then place 6 pins evenly spaced along the top of your panel. Now fold each tie in half to find the middle……..

…….and fold them over the top of the panel, where your pin was marking its spot.

Then make a seam an inch away from the edge, securing the tie in place.

And then flip both ends out, and make another seam 1/4 inch away from the edge. Make sure you have sewn the through both ties and the panel.

Repeat with the other ties and you should have 6 ties evenly spaced along the top of the panel.

**Then you can either hem the end of each tie, or tie them in a knot like I did. Easy and quick…..and pretty cute.

Lastly you’ll hem the bottom of the curtain by folding it under a 1/4 inch and then another 1/4 inch and then sewing it in place.

(remember to make 2 and buy twice the amount of fabric if you’re wanting 2 panels…)

And that’s it.

A completely unique ruffled curtain
………adorned with some floppy ties at the top.

Comments

48 Responses to “Decorate My Home, Part 10: Gathered Curtains with Ties”
    The Hardy Things in Life says:

LOVE THE CURTAINS!!

Ege'nin Annesi; says:

ı can say just a word: great,absolutly great:)
    xoxox

Kathryn says:

BEAUTIFUL! come re-do my room, lol

Sam and Sara says:

Cute curtains. Love the Amy Butler fabric. I like the white comforter with all of the different color. Very creative.

The Wright Fam says:

LOVE it!!! Just out of curiosity, how much did you budget for fabric for your bedroom makeover (pillows & curtains)? Thanks!! I LOVE what you do!

The Wright Family, I spent about $85 on fabric for the curtains and pillows at fabric.com. (But I used about twice as much fabric for my curtains to make them gathered and full as you normally would when making basic curtains.) I always search for a coupon code before ordering with them and found one for 30% off. I also bought the comforter at TJMaxx for $30. It's a king size, that hangs extra long over the edges of our queen bed, so then I didn't have to make a bed skirt.

Anyway, so the total for that was about $115.

Hannah says:

i ADORE those curtains!

Lisa says:

love, love, love this fabric. wish it wasn't SO expensive. i've been searching for hours now trying to get all the fabrics i need to recreate your bed! i bought a white duvet cover with grey embroidery on clearance at target and now i am trying to recreate your beautiful pillows. thanks for finally helping me decide on a color scheme for my bedroom.

Emily says:

I can't believe how EASY you make things look!

kermiefrg says:

I didn't think the room could get any more cute, but it did! Love these!

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden says:

LOVE your fabric choices! They look great!

Jam says:

gorgeous!

Kimbo West says:

THat fabric is to die for! THe curtains are beautiful and that room… I just want to curl up on your bed…but that would probably freak you out. A little too goldilock.

Sarah says:

I absolutely LOVE it! I too wish designer fabric wasn't so pricey! Those curtains are amazing though and I love the whole look of the room. You are seriously making me want to skip past all my projects to redo my room—it definitely needs it the very very very most, but it's at the bottom of the list. Maybe I'll have to splurge!

Leighanne says:

love love LOVE these curtains! we just moved and I need ideas for window coverings! thanks so much!

Rachel says:

great tutorial! I'm going to make these for my daughters room! Thanks :)

Shea says:

adorable just adorable!

Rachel Phelan says:

I just found your blog and you are Amaaaazing! I love your ideas, you are so talented. Thanks so much for being willing to share all your ideas. I bought some mod podge today, to try making the necklace holder out of a frame. Thanks again!

Anissa says:

Can't wait to try these out! They would be perfect for my sewing room. Love it!

PeaceLoveApplesauce says:

Those are simply to.die.for!
    I wish I had your brain! ;)

Maggie Reno says:

I love these! What a great design and thanks for the tutorial. Word Verification: "ouper" – it ought to be Super.

alittlemoore says:

That is my favorite fabric combination of all time! I have made many a dress with that, but never thought of curtains….now what room to redecorate!?

Sarah says:

By the way, for anyone interested, I tend to find fabric a little cheaper on Etsy! fabric.com is usually a little more. With a coupon, it might be about the same, but etsy is usually cheaper–for the fabrics I look for anyway!

Kate @ Chic on a Shoestring Decorating says:

I love Amy Butler fabric but couldn't sew to save my life! :) Looks fabulous, nice job!

Sarah says:

Love it!
    God's blessings,
    Sarah :D

laura jones says:

Amy butler is great! you know what else you might like is spoonflower.com tons of great fabrics over there.

Gwen says:

very very pretty! In case youve been wanting to paint your room but can't decide on a color, I just painted our bedroom in "Spa Gold" from Lowes. It would look absoulutley FANTASTIC with the rest of the colors going on in your room! just a thought! ;-)

Maggie, I cannot find the word super or ouper anywhere……I'm sure it's somewhere. Help!!!

And Gwen, I wish I could paint, but we just rent. I may have to check out that color anyway. Thanks!

Thanks Laura, I'm off to check out spoonflower right now.

And Kimbo, you cracked me right up. Goldilocks is a good story though!!

Renee says:

great tutorial! thanks

banuca says:

Sooooo sweet bedroom, it will be nice to sleep there and to see the sun shine through the new curtains in the morning:)

Mad Sewing Love says:

Ahh…those curtains are gorgeous! Just perfect for spring.

Sarah says:

These are FABULOUS! Thank you so much for sharing this tutorial, I'll be trying this too.

artemisia says:

Oh, I love it!

Where do you find such lovely material?! No, really. Where?

[email protected] says:

I am loving your makeover! So inspiring! I'll be linking to this. I want to make new curtains so badly now!

n*stitches says:

I think the vibrant curtains look fabulous! Don't you hate making all those ties?! They are the worst part!

Landon and Kylie says:

I have been looking and looking for a simple way to make curtains without having to slide them on and off a curtain rod (yuck). I liked your other curtain tutorial, but couldn't find any curtain rods with clips like that. I am definitely going to try the ties now. We have two closets that are lacking doors (we too are renters). I can't wait to see how it turns out! Thanks for sharing!

Sherry says:

I love that material, where did you get it? I want to replace my bent and broken blinds.

Angel says:

Oh how sweet! I love the gathers at the top. Just saw you on One Pretty Thing. I'm following you now. Can't wait to sit down and look through everything else you've created.

Rose says:

Love that. I have a pull down shade that is nearing it's last pull, so I may have to get crafty pretty soon!

Anne says:

I totally need some curtains. beautiful!

Anne
    Floralshowers.com

Melanie says:

Very talented. Love the fabric choice.

Molly says:

How well do the curtains slide open & shut with those ties? I love the look, but I have to be able to slide mine easily.

Kacey says:

These are awesome! Thanks for the great description! Have you any experience with the same basic concept, but with lined curtains? Think it would be hard to gather a double layer of fabric and make it look nice?

soudeh says:

Dear Ashley……Hi !..my name is soudeh. i m so glad to meet you! your art works are so lovely and full of life….i am jealous of you..your childs are so beautiful . i will learn from your ideas!!!! ^_^ . i love your works..i just want to thank you…..thank you very much!!!! i hope you a wonderful life, happiness and so many ideas……!!!!!!!!!

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. [...] nach wunderschönem Stoff Ausschau zu halten. Der eigentliche Grund für den Besuch dieser HIER. Auf meinem Einkaufszettel standen drei Stoffe: ein warmes rot, apfelgrün und ein einfacher [...]

2. [...] Gathered Curtains with Ties by Make It and Love It [...]

3. [...] pattern I’m using I found at Make it Love it (you can see their finished curtains in the photo  above).  The fabrics are by Michael Miller. [...]

4. [...] 4. For a different look, have the gathers below the curtain top panel (similar to a skirt). Long ties allow you to make bows when hanging the panels from the curtain rod. Two fun, colorful fabrics help make the most out of this design. Gathered Curtains Tutorial [...]