Child’s Tool Belt

It’s tough work being handy.

How about making it easier on the little guys and putting all of their tools into a tool belt….

Perfectly sized for them.

Now they can get to work.

And have all their tools, right at their fingertips.

**The directions are sized to fit on my 20 month old. Adjust if necessary.**

Do you have a handyman in your house? Does he need a simple tool belt?

Here’s how I made mine:

Cut 2 pieces of fabric, one that is 13 x 11 inches and another that is 10 x 11 inches. Fold each piece in half along the 13 and 10 inch side….so that the pieces are still 11 inches wide. Iron flat.

Then cut a piece of coordinating fabric that is 1.5 x 11 inches, to create a piece of binding. Fold in half length wise and iron flat. Then fold the raw edges in one more time towards the fold and iron flat again.

Place this binding along the top fold of the shorter piece, making sure that one fold of the binding is behind the piece and the other is in front. Sew along the bottom edge.

Then cut another piece of your coordinating fabric that is 3 wide and 5 inches long. Fold in half lengthwise with wrong sides together. Then sew the edges together along the long side, using a 1/2 inch seam allowance. Turn right side out and iron flat.

Fold the loop in half and pin to the edge of that binded piece, about a half inch below the binding. Make sure that your loop is facing inward.

Then sew in place, just to keep it in place while finishing the tool belt.

Then open up the larger piece and line up the smaller piece along the bottom edge of the larger piece. Divide this section into three sections and place pins to mark the division.

Make a straight seam from the bottom, on up to the top of the binding. This will give you your three pockets.

Then fold the top of that larger piece on down over the top of the smaller piece and line up the bottom edge and sides.

Sew along the side with the hammer loop, the entire bottom, and then part of the other side. (Use a 1/2 inch seam allowance.) Make sure to sew along that bottom corner on the second side, to ensure a nice crisp corner after turning it right side out.

Clip the two bottom corners.

And then turn right side out, poking out the corners, nice and crisp.

Iron flat and then sew all the way around the sides and bottom, pretty close to the edge.

Then cut another piece of the coordinating fabric that is 1.5 x 45 inches. (Keep in mind that you can piece two pieces together to make a piece that is 45 inches long, in case you are using smaller pieces of scrap material.) Fold it the same way that you did the binding up above…..and then center it over the top of the tool belt. Make sure that the back fold is behind the tool belt and the front fold is on top.

Sew all the way along this top binding, close to the bottom fold, to attach it to the tool belt. And then continue on to the end of the piece of binding, to secure the folded edges together, making ties with the ends of the binding.

Knot the ends of the ties……and you’re done.

So perfect for the man on the job.

**This can be easily used to make tool belts for girls too. In fact, our little miss loves tools……….and to pretend that she’s helping us fix all sorts of things around the house.

Filed under Children, Gift Ideas, Miscellaneous, Sewing

Comments

90 Responses to “Child’s Tool Belt”
    Christie says:

That is a totally cute idea! Thanks for sharing with us!

Angela says:

I love this!

Whatever Dee-Dee wants says:

I love it! I need to make one for my little boy.

Mindi says:

So cute and easy-looking!

Mama Thompson says:

I just love that…maybe one more gift to add to Lil D's upcoming birthday…if we have the tools out…he has his out:)

PeaceLoveApplesauce says:

This is too cute!
    Thanks for sharing!

Charity says:

My little man is having a construction themed bday party this weekend.. I totally have to make this now!

Weddings With The Cricut says:

Oh my goodness I LOVE THIS!! Thanks so much for sharing!!

Emily
    weddingswiththecricut.blogspot.com

The HoneaBees says:

I will be making this for my 2 year old to carry all of his cars in! He has about 4 favorites but he can't seem to carry all of them with his lovie too. This will be perfect! I really didn't want to have to make him a purse! ha
    THANKS!!! I LOVE all of your ideas!

Corbin & Zoey's Momma says:

What a great idea! I seriously am in LOVE with your blog (in a non-creepy way of course) and my kids are hapy too with all the neat things I can make for them : ) Thank you Ashly!

Whitney says:

so cute! i love ideas for play things for children. my son is only 6 months old, but already, i have a million projects in my head i want to do for him someday. :D

Love Stitched says:

i am going to feature this tutorial this week on my blog :) thanks for sharing and be sure to grab a "i was featured on" button :)

Kari @ Ucreate says:

Ashley, thank you so much for an amazing boy project!!

Daisy Day says:

I just came across your blog today! Absolutely love it!!! What a talented gal you are! I love your tutorials! I'm going to have to give this fun belt a try.

jess says:

i love this belt!! so cute.

Craftify It! says:

I think that is adorable. It would make a great birthday gift too. My little one seems to go to a lot of boy parties lately. Thanks for sharing!

the thrifty ba says:

where was this 2 years ago when my youngest used to tuck his tools into his UNDERWEAR! this would make a great gift for some of his younger friends!

sweet limes says:

I have a 20 month old handy man myself! I know what I'll be making him tonight.

Rachel says:

What a fabulous idea. This would be great for my little man too. I also thought this would be a great waitress apron for a boy or girl playing restaurant. Of course, you could leave off the hammer loop for the waitress, but I'd probably leave it on so they could use it for both purposes.
    Thanks for all your fabulous ideas. I really enjoy reading your blog and getting creative sparks.

Chelsey says:

I LOVE this idea for my little guy! I am always looking for ideas on what to do for him. This one looks easy too.

Sewing-Chick says:

Love it! Your color choices are making me hungry for mint chocolate chip ice cream ;)

I made one awhile back: http://sewing-chick.blogspot.com/2009/05/projects-one-two-three.html

Have a super week!

Megan says:

Awesome! Thanks for the great idea!

[email protected] says:

That is so cute! Thanks so much for the how-to, I'll be linking.

sharla@mylittlegems says:

We love tool belts at our house. We made some out of placemats several weeks ago. The placemat is a lot stronger than fabric- plus it cuts out a few steps on the sewing so you can whip it up in a few minutes ;) Here is the link:

Gigi says:

Always need something for the grandsons… there's too many ideas for the girls. I knew I needed to make him one (he's 4) when he was tucking his tools into his pants and "working".

Domestica says:

I love your blog. You have given me so many wonderful ideas at how I can get my creative juices flowing again!! I am nominating you for A Beautiful Blogger Award!
    Please see my post for the details!

Thanks for all you inspiration!

Jon, Amber, Caleb, and Skyler says:

I am so excited about this post! We're having a Handy Manny tool party next month for my 3 year old and are making these…I was going to wing it but now I have something to follow! :)

Camron and Lonna Connolly says:

you blow me away! gotta say you were blessed with major talent!! thanks for sharing!

Carrie says:

I LOVE THIS IDEA!!!! My daughter is nuts about fixing things. For Christmas we got her a Handy Manny tool set. She loves it and uses the tools all the time. I will be making her a girlie tool belt very soon. Thanks so much!

Tif says:

So cute! My baby boy is 11. Mmmm, but I do have some little nephews. Now to choose what fabric to use! :)

Thanks for the tutorial. Love your blog!

K13 says:

Oh I so have to make one of these for my 2 year old!! Thank you!!!

Kimbo West says:

This is awesome. My son has a john deere tool belt…but you can never have too many tool belts right? kinda like girls and purses?

Cassie says:

I bought my son a little tool kit for his bday, so I am definitely going to put this on my to-do list!

Laura McGee says:

oh yay thank you for this!!! my son turned two in sept. and he got a 30+ piece tool set from black and decker and then for christmas about 20 more tools and work bench from homedepot from santa… so needless to say we got tools out our ears and he runs around with fist fulls of tools… im making this in the morning! THANKS!!! :)

Catarina says:

Hi Ashley!
    I'm Catarina, I'm from Portugal. I'm a big fan of your blog.

Thanks for sharing this tutorial. I was so excited that I already made one today for my son. He loves Bob, the Builder and Handy Manny (on Disney channel).

Here is mine tool belt that I've made for my 4 year-old boy.

Shelly says:

My son and I went to the fabric store today and chose some fabric to make this with. I can't wait! He is psyched!

Oh my gosh how cute! I have a little girl but she has a took box that she runs with joy to get every time daddy has to fix something. She would love this in some girly colors and I think I have some laying around. Thanks for sharing with us this just may become tomorrows project.

OneCraftyFox says:

Very crafty! Love the step by step, thank you :)

emi says:

i was just searching One Pretty Thing the other day for a kiddie tool belt and this is perfect! (my toddler was sticking all his play tools in his pants pockets and i thought he would love something like this.)

Jessica says:

Really cute idea! thanks for sharing!

mmtncrfts says:

Sooo cute! Thanks for sharing. I'm gong to add you to my blog for sure. I love your work.

Linda
    mmtncrfts.etsy.com

Kristin Dyer says:

So cute!!! I just had to make one today. Went to Joanns and found some cheap fabric in the "extras" bin. It is a hit with my little guy. Thanks for the brilliant ideas. You are just amazing.

Bird R. says:

Another item for my to do list.

Sarah says:

Thank you for posting this. I made one this morning and absolutely love how it turned out. Your directions were perfect. Thank you again.

Joanne says:

I'll be linking this in my weekend roundup!

Joanne @ Ready, Set, Craft!

Angie - [email protected] says:

Love it! Come link your cute tute at my party: Thursday's Treasures!!

Heather says:

love this tutorial. Great for all the little Bob the Builders out there.

see my blog for other freebie tutorials. http://callmecraftymomma.blogspot.com/

Angie Bartos says:

I made one for my son and his best friend… so so so cute!!!

Sweet Little Smoothie says:

This is so cute! I just finished one for my two-year old and he loves it. Thank you so much for sharing!

Liz @ LivingMySweetLife says:

I just made this and my son LOVES it!! Your website is one of my favorites! Thank y ou so much for the tutorials! I will be posting this on my blog tonight or tomorrow (after I make a 2nd one for my other son!)

Brooke says:

LOVE this! Any chance you want to make 27 of them for me and I'll pay you? I'm having a construction-themed party for my son's 2nd bday and have been searching for something like this for the favors! The party is in April, 2011! :)

Brilliant!
    At first i was having trouble understanding it, so i cut out the bits and found it easier to understand when i had the bits infront of me to move around.
    I just finished. It took me around 2 hours. It was the first time i have ever sewn something properly (using an iron before its all finished? never did it!) and i am so proud.

Heather says:

Just made this! It was a great mini-project! Can't wait to make more things from your awesome blog :) Thanks!

Erica {B is for Boy} says:

Very cute! I am featuring this as part of a toolbelt roundup over at http://bisforboycreations.blogspot.com/2011/03/fabulous-friday-finds-toolbelt-roundup.html
    Thanks!

Cindy says:

I love your blog!
    My grandson Lucas will love his new tool belt
    Thanks

Erica says:

So cute! I have 2 girls so I made a super-girly rainbow tool belt. It came out fabulous. Thanks!

Kerena says:

Love this! Guess what my nephew is getting for Christmas. :)

Lucy says:

Little girls — especially if we want them independent and well-rounded — need tool belts, too. I loved to hang around the shop with my dad, wearing one of his lighter weight tool belts, starting when I was just a little tyke. I grew up loving tools and learned how to use them correctly. Tools are still tops on my gift list when asked what I want. I’ve already given my 4-year old niece her first set of REAL tools. She even likes playing with them when we’re dressed in our princess dressup gowns. Using tools is very empowering. Start young so it’s not something they question whether they can “do it.” Anyone can, regardless of sex. It is adorable and I will be making us matching ones. My leather tool belt is too heavy for it, but she always wants to wear it.

Thanks! These are adorable. I’m going to make about 30 of these as favors for my son’s upcoming construction themed birthday party! Trish

Kacie says:

SO cute! I am 12, and I have three little brothers. (a six yo, 2yo, and a 6 month old) They are going to freak when they see what Santa brought them!

doro K. says:

perfect fotr little boys!!

I linked to your tutorial on my blog – thanks for sharing!

doro K.

Danielle Brown says:

Thank you for this. My nieces needed to make a present for one of their brothers and this was an easy one I was able to do with them! Thanks again!

Lindsey says:

Super Cute! I’m thirteen, I made this for my brother and he loved it!!!

Olivia says:

Hello Ashley! My name is Olivia and I’m from Brazil.
    I really like your website! Here I can find any ideas to make or even create new stuff!

Jenny says:

Thanks so much for this tutorial. I made one of these tonight for my little guy’s Halloween costume. I wanted to wake him up and try it on him, but my husband didn’t think that was such a good idea. :)

Colleen says:

Great pattern. I am a Family Day Care Mum and made three of these belts for my little builders. I used a thick nylon webbing and velcro instead of ties, children are then able to put them on themselves or help each other! Check out my Facebook page – Colleen’s Day Care for a look at the finished product!

Sandi C says:

Oh Fun!!! I just made one.. Thanks for sharing..

This is a fun idea. I had some camo fabric with denim strings. Haven’t gotten my kids still enough to take a photo though. Gave you a Christmas shoutout on my post about our inexpensive Christmas gifts. Cheaper Nuggets: $10 White Christmas

Two_Sheds says:

I just made one of these out of old scraps of furnishing fabric. I used grosgrain ribbon for the ties, trim and loop. Cost: zero pence. Time: just under 2 hours.
    Thanks for the tutorial, brilliant

Carrie says:

I absolutely LOVE this project. I can’t wait to try making it for my grandsons. I featured your project on my blog at http://whittskitsfabricscrafts.blogspot.com/2013/04/mining-monday-fabric-scrap-project-ideas.html and put a link directly back here.
    Thanks so much!
    Carrie

Lynn Cowman says:

Thanks for sharing this, I have just made a couple of them this morning for the local Pre-School Children, as my children are grown up.

I did make a little (Really Silly) mistake on my first go, as when i was stitching round and leaving the gap to turn it right side out, i had left my gap in the wrong place and it turned into one of the pockets!. :)

Thanks again x

Sissy Kane says:

I just finished this one for my precious grandson. He is going to LOVE IT! THANKS!