Decorate My Home, Part 6 – Pillow with Ties

I know, enough with the pillow tutorials right?

I can’t help it though.

They really are a fun and simple touch. And I have loved experimenting with all types. So hang in there…..I’m almost done purging all of these pillow ideas. Almost.

But I decided to do our bedroom light, fresh, and kinda funky. I fell in love with this Amy Butler cotton fabric and decided to use it in our bedroom. I also found this quilted white bedspread at TJMaxx……and fell in love with the idea of having a clean and fresh look to the bed. White seems to brighten my mood. And it was perfectly thin. (We both hate being hot while sleeping.) And then I could splash some color in there, depending on mood and/or season.
Perfect.

(And I’ll teach you a simple way to make your own pillow cases to match your bedding. Especially if you’re like us and hate pillow shams. But we’ll cover that another day.)

But here’s how I made this Pillow with ties.

I first cut strips of cotton that were 2 different lengths. This is because I tied my knots off to one side, so one side had to be longer than the other.
The longer ties are 21 x 5 inches and the shorter ones are 15 x 5 inches. I sewed each strip in half lengthwise and then sewed along the long edge with a 1/2 seam allowance.

Then I turned the strips right side out, and then pressed them flat.
Next, I cut a back and a front pillow piece out of some coordinating cotton fabric that measured 22 x 17 inches each.

Then I pinned the strips to the edges of the front piece of the pillow. Play around with your placement until it looks just right. Mine are off centered on purpose….I just liked how it looked.

Then pin the other ends of the ties to the center of the front pillow piece temporarily, just to keep them out of the way. Then pin the pillow front and back pieces together, with right sides together. Sew all the way around the edges with a 1/2 inch seam allowance……..leaving about a 5 inch gap to insert your filling. (And make sure to catch each of your ties in your seam and remove your pins as you go.) Then clip your corners and zig-zag next to your straight stitch.

Turn right side out, poke out your corners, and then stuff with batting…

Then hand stitch the opening closed (technique’s shown here).

Smoosh your batting around and even it out, so that the pillow isn’t lumpy.

Now, tuck in the ends of your ties. You can do this before you attach your ties to the pillow but I just wasn’t certain how long I would like the ends…..so I waited until now to tuck the ends of my ties inside themselves about 1/2 of an inch.

Press. Then I sewed the opening closed.

Repeat with all 4 ends.
Then tie each set of ties in a neat little knot, off to one side….

And toss onto your bed, a chair, or your favorite reading spot.

Just another sweet little feature to add to a pillow.

Matching curtains are coming and a picture of how it all turned out together.

Thanks for humoring me as I drag you along my decorating adventure.

*If you’re interested in making the pillows shown behind the tied pillow, click here.

Comments

49 Responses to “Decorate My Home, Part 6 – Pillow with Ties”
    MaRiN says:

love the ties! i have got to make a couple of these pillows for my bed. love your ideas!

Nancy says:

These are the cutest!! Keep up the pillow ideas.. I love them.

she wears flowers says:

This is beautiful! And the colors are amazing! May I move into your house?

Linda @ My Trendy Tykes says:

The colors just POP!!

I love the ties.

Valerie says:

Adorable!

Emily says:

love the tutorials…keep them coming!

marisa says:

love that fabric! what a pop of color!

Sarah says:

I LOVE it! and I love the fabric! I'm getting addicted to designer fabrics… and now, I totally want to redo my room just like this–make my OWN pillows and everything–and maybe even a nice white comforter/bedspread–or maybe brown… hmm… now for the hunt. thanks for the inspiration, i can't wait to see it all together!

De Javu Crafts says:

i seriously love ties…SO cute!!
    we just moved to a bigger house, so im loving all these post…i need to get on it and start making stuff…
    come on over and check my blog out
    dejavucrafts.blogspot.com

brandy says:

Beautiful! I LOVE Any Butler fabric, but there aren't any stores in my area that sell it. I wish we had a Hancock's here. Is that where you found it or did your order it online?

Your little chair makeover that you did for you daughter inspired me! I did a small sofa makeover for my 16 month old daughter last week and it came out great. I posted a picture on my craft blog. Thanks!

Brandy

Maryam says:

I Love this pillows!!! Thanks a lot :)

Ptoe - you know. says:

I love the pillows AND your red and blue colors, its very fresh and new looking!

Carli@Fearfully&WonderfullyMade says:

Simply Adorable!

Brett and Jen says:

I love the fabric…I was actually going to buy that same stuff from Fabric.com but it's all gone now…so cute!!!

Elizabeth says:

OMG…you make the cutest stuff, seriously!! I LOVE these!! I am going to attempt to make them this weekend (when I don't have to work). I hope I can make them look as good as yours!

Anderson says:

Never stop with the pillows tutorials. They're amazing. :)

Question for you (with preface): I totally want to copy your concept of bedding… the white cover that can be accented in a bazillion ways (with seasons, moods, whatever). Very classy, fresh and modern. But (here's the question) how hard is it to keep the bedding WHITE? I'm about to have a newborn, so with blowouts and all that, maybe now is a bad time to go for the white idea. Or not? If you get a sec- let me know. Thx.

Cori says:

Oooh, I love this idea! And I like the fabric pillowcases too. I'm trying to redo my room, so I'm loving these ideas.

Jessica :) says:

I love these posts! I'm loving all the pillows – so many cute and fun ideas so spruce the place up with little accents. I love accents! I saw a pillow at my employer's house yesterday {I clean for her} and I just love it! I'd love to see if I can figure out how to do one on my own but I'm worried I won't come even close.

Kris and Chelsey Sorensen says:

Sooo cute! We are redoing our master bedroom right now! I love this idea for bed pillows! Thanks for all your great ideas!!

Michelle says:

Oh my, these pillows are absolutely adorable! Thank you so much for sharing the tutorial…hope you don't mind if I copycat you on this design! I need to make some interesting pillow covers to match the new furniture we just got :)

Happy Wednesday!
    ~Michelle :)

Jessabells says:

Love those pillows, thanks for the tutorials. Keep them up. I like to read them!

Tamera says:

Girl, you are amazing! Love these pillows and everything else! I so need to do some projects now!
    Thank You for sharing your talents!

The Wife says:

You are so creative! Your blog makes me want to get better at sewing!

The Home Ec Teachers Daugter says:

I cant wait to try this for my couch…needs some bright colors!

Melissa Coates says:

The pillows are really cute! I was just wondering if there's a way for you to alphabetize the list of projects you have down to the left instead of in chronological order. Now that I'm starting more and more projects I want to come back to your site to learn how on some of the old things I remember you doing but didn't have the time back then. It would be easier to find them if they were in alphabetic order, but it's just a suggestion!

Sarah Goddard says:

luv it!! Thanks I have just set up my daybed in my spare room since we moved our sons big boy bed to his room and it is in need of some pillow!!!!!!!!

Anissa says:

You keep inspiring me to make more pillows for my house! My bed pillows could use a real makeover and this one will be at the top of the list to try out.

OH, and thank you so much for taking time to look at my blog and comment. You're an amazing woman!

I got the fabric for my bedroom at fabric.com. But someone said they are out…but you can always google this line of fabric "Amy Butler Lotus" and see what other places sell it, if you'd really like it. Even some ebay shops carry it.

And Anderson – you asked about the bedding staying white. We have little ones too and I worried about that. however, I decided that white can easily be bleached and freshened up….other colors are hard to do that with. And I didn't spend an arm and a leg on the bedspread….so I'm happy with it! And so far, so good. It's still bright white. But it's only been a few weeks!! :)

alisha says:

Thank you for NOT stopping with the pillow tutorials! This one is my favorite thus far! And I love the fabrics you used as well! Thanks for sharing!

Amanda K says:

Ashley! I am loving this pillow! I can't get over how cute it is – I love bright colors! I am going to feature this on my "Friday Favorites." Come by and check it out!

pcfitness says:

please keep the pillow tutorials coming. i love them! I just made one of them the other day.

debbie says:

I need new pillows for my bed and these are just brilliant!! will definately be giving them a go at some point in the near future. I'm sure when the decoratings over your house will beautiful.

Kristan says:

How adorable!?! I love this tutorial. I love pillows though lol. I saw your tie pillows and thought "I have those fabrics" then I saw the other pillows in the background and said "I have those too!" so now I want to make a hundred pillows. Or maybe like 8. :)

ofpaperandthread says:

so cute!

i want to make some but my sewing machine just died on me! savin up for a new one now.

please check out my etsy shop!

smileynann says:

Super cute! But FYI — My mom taught me this trick for PERFECTLY SQUARE corners on square pillows. You know how they kind of go up at the edges? After you cut out your rectangles (or squares) for the pillows, you sew the seam at whatever seam allowance you've allotted. Then, at each corner, starting about 1" away from the corner of the seam, angle the seam down just a little (down about 1/4" – 1/3"), then turn the corner and meet up with the original seam about 1" away. It totally works!

Great tip smileynann, I'll have to try that! :)

Jenn says:

I love the pillows and colors! You are super talented!
    Thanks for sharing!

CinnamonAndSass says:

I love this! Can never have too many pillows!

-Katie

Twigs @ Twiggles and Trunks says:

bookmarked this one too! great stuff.

The Hughes Family says:

I know its a dumb question BUT on this tutorial I was reading through it playing it out in my head because i have to make some pillows for my couch and banquette and right after you showed how to stuff the pillow and then fix the ties you said throw it on your bed and your done BUT Im still new at the sewing thing and I dont know how you stiched up the last bit of the pillow after you stuffed. Would you please just shoot me an email???!!! Lacey bug 23 at gmail dot com. Thanx so much!
    lacey:)

Sorry Lacey, I did leave that out. I just hand stitched it opening closed, using one of the techniques here:

I also added it to the tutorial for the next person who needs it.

Thanks and good luck!

Liz says:

Thanks once again for your awesome inspiration! If you want you can see how mine turned out.

NÉIA says:

OBRIGADA POR ESSA IDÉIA DA ALMOFADA AMEI!!!VOU FAZER PARA MINHAS CLIENTES!!!

Angie says:

LOVE these! If I can ever find the fabric I want to use I want to make these for our living room. You are so creative!

Trish says:

I must make like…a dozen of these! I want them everywhere :-)

Brenna says:

Great tutorial! I just made one and I LOVE it! Thanks for all your hard work!

Taylor says:

I just made this in the form of a pillow cover. It turned out great!!! Thanks for the tutorial! I can’t wait to give it (along with some other covers) as a bridal shower gift! Blessings!

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. [...] got the idea from this post/tutorial here. I made both sides of the bow the same length as the pillow and centered them in the middle of the [...]