Recovered High Chair

Do you have a high chair with an old tattered cover?

Over maybe you’re just tired of it?

Yeah, me too. And I wanted to hurry and get this re-covered before moving.

So here’s our new kitchen piece.

Not such an eye sore anymore.

Ahhhh, check.
Pre-moving project……….done.

Here’s what the little beauty looked like before. Yeah, she needed a good wash too.

But first, I cut where the main seam was so that I could use the pieces as a pattern.

Then I folded the main section in half lengthwise, along my folded new fabric…

…and cut around it to get my new piece. (You don’t have to add anything for a seam allowance since we will be using bias tape and won’t be taking anything off the dimension. I did, however, add about a 1/4 inch to allow for shrinking when you add the batting to the back.)

Then I cut the top shape.

Next, I placed a pin at the center of both curves, where they will be sewn together. (If you click on the picture, you’ll see the pins.)

Then I added some piping (optional) to the top piece of fabric, with the piping facing away from the raw edge.

Then I pinned all 3 layers together, pinning very carefully around the curves.

I used my zipper foot to sew all 3 layers together and not run over the piping.

Then I laid the original cover over my new one to mark the hole for the highchair to poke through. (But cut the hole smaller to allow for a seam allowance.)

Then I cut a piece of quilted batting (quilt backing?…..I’m not sure of the real name) the same size as my main piece. Make sure to cut the hole out too.

Then I placed the batting and fabric together with right sides together, and pinned along the edges.

Then I sewed around the opening…..and then cut diagonal lines towards the corners. This will help it lay flat after you turn it right side out.

Turn right side out. (You’ll have to shove the fabric through the hole to get it out to its right side.) Then lay completely flat, and sew close to the edge.

Then cut a strip of fabric that is the same shape as the top of the cover, but more narrow. This will serve as the flap to slide over the top of the actual highchair. (And if you’re wondering about that brown seam along my batting, I had to piece 2 pieces of it together from my scraps…don’t let that confuse you.)

Now sew some wide double fold bias tape along the bottom of this flap, and then pin to the upper edge of the cover.

And then sew bias tape around the entire cover, making sure to include all of the edges of the back flap and its ends. Also, sew very slowly around all of the curves….they can be tricky with the bias tape.

My cover had elastic that attaches to the actual high chair, to keep it in place. SO I added that to the underneath side.

**And I forgot to take a picture, but I made seams along the folds of the cover. So wherever the cover would be fold while sitting in the high chair, I made a seam so that it would fit nicely in the seat. Just look at your old cover, and match the old seams.**

Now place in your high chair….and you’re done.

Filed under Baby, Children, Miscellaneous, Re-purposing, Sewing

Comments

103 Responses to “Recovered High Chair”
    Cindy says:

What a great tutorial!!! I've been eyeing an old highchair that needed a new cover and now I can go buy it and make one. Keep up the excellent work.
    Thanks so much,
    Cindy

greetingarts says:

Wow! You are totally awesome. Fantastic eye, wonderful seamstress, completely brilliant. I thought your princess papasan chair makeover was the greatest, but I think this tops it! Thanks for sharing.

Lora says:

I have the same high chair and just made a new cover for mine as well. I put a layer of vinyl over the top of the fabric on mine so I can just wipe it off after each meal, but yours is really cute! I love the fabrics!

Wallace Family says:

that's awesome! I've been meaning to make a new high chair cover, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I bought the fabric already, too! oilcloth for easy cleanup. Thanks so much!

Michelle says:

ahhh soo cute! i want to make one! where did you get your brown main fabric? so cute! great tut!

Michelle, I got both of those fabrics at Joann's.

Good luck to everyone else. It's a fun project to tackle!

Rose says:

Seriously. I need one of these! The blue vinyl on mine is really starting to crack and look gross, but I don't know about tackling a project like that! With my luck I would cut it all apart and then screw up making the new one, and end up with nothing! Love the fabric you used too!

Mango Mom says:

How Cute! Your stuff is great. I'm not that good at sewing yet but maybe someday I'll attempt.

mangomommycrafts.blogspot.com

peace.love.applesauce says:

Oh My Gosh, You have some talent!

Melanie says:

Ahh, I was just telling my husband last night that I hate our high chair cover and should I try to make a new one. This should make it easier…now to find the perfect fabric.

Lynn from For Love or Funny says:

Yowza – your recovered high chair is so much prettier! Well done!

Meka says:

I have that same high chair! I'm going to try that out this week for sure! How fun!! Thank you!!

Heather says:

you sure make everything look so easy to sew and figure out. For me it would be so complicated to think through it all. Thanks for posting the directions for all these fun projects. Plus, you use the cutest fabrics!!! Really cute high chair!

Christy Wheeler says:

That Looks amazing!!! I can't wait to try it!

Mom's Place says:

I love it!!! Wish I had one that I could do that with. When I do get ours, I'll have to make up a bunch just to have fit my mood, seasons, ect!

Holly Llewellyn says:

Blast…I threw my old cover away with the intentions of buying a new on. The babe just sits on the plastic…why did I throw it away…this is such a cute idea…blast blast blast

Sandy White says:

That is adorable!! Great job!! And I love Lora's idea of using vinyl over it to make it easy to clean.

prec says:

i need to do this a.s.a.p.! thanks for the great instructions!

Goings on at the Glenn's says:

sooo cute!!! I love that fabric too.
    Wouldn't it be great though to make it a wipeable surface? I know I know just more work. But do they have that iron on vinyl stuff that you could fuse to your fabric before cutting the pattern pieces out? I can't find it.

Whitney says:

wow! i am impressed. i would LOVE to recover some of the not-so-pretty baby gear around our house. i wish i could sew on this level!

**Erin** says:

That is awesome! I have that same highchair (just a different pattern) from my older son. It is DEFINITELY in need of a revamp. Thank you!

Jared and Bryanne says:

Gorgeous! I love your blog!

Kelley says:

Brought back 25 year old memories of when my little ones were little. I made "all new" covers for everything they sat in, played with, you name it– from the car to the kitchen. What an adorable cover!

Christina says:

Awesome! And I really like those fabrics together…

Joanna says:

That looks great! I'm thinking that this tutorial might work for a carseat I need to recover… Thanks!

Cassie says:

I love your blog! I am starting to think you are some kind of genius. Seriously, how do you think of these things. You also do a great job picking darling fabrics and putting crazy things together. I love it.

Sewing-Chick says:

LOVE IT! I think I'll go tatter mine just so I can make a pretty new cover for it!

Stacey says:

Fantastic!! I love your blog, and just happen to have on old highchair at grandmas that reallly needs a little tlc- now I have the guts to do it!

Erica says:

I have been trying to figure out the hole for the piece that goes between baby's legs for about six months! Thanks for a great tute!

Rebekah says:

love this!!!!! thanks for sharing!

Lynette says:

That's super cute! My mother in law covered a DI high chair for the grandkids. She did it similar to this one, but put a clear plastic on top of the material to make it easier to clean. I love your idea, and the fabric is super cute!

Nancy says:

What a great idea! As always, thanks for sharing.

DarrenLaura.R says:

Yesterday morning my husband commented on how gross the old high chair seat was getting. We both agreed I needed to do something about that. I had no idea what. Later, I noticed you had posted this.

Were you listening outside my window?
    ;)
    Thanks for the help. I don't really know how to sew, yet I always seem to manage your projects. I really appreciate the simplicity of your instructions.

Lexi says:

Hi! I got to your blog from my etsy traffic sources! Just wondering how people got to my site from yours!? I love your blog, so glad I came upon it! :)
    Thanks!

the cookie cutter says:

Brilliant, makes me wish I had a high chair to recover! Great blog, thanks for all the great ideas. Nadine x

Krystal says:

That is so great! Too bad I just chucked my old highchair because I was tired of the yucky pad. Who would have thought I could make a new one…..duh! Very creative and very cute ;)

doug and janice says:

o my heck so great i wanted to get a new highchair maybe i will have to give this a try even though i,m not really in touch with sewing it cant hurt to try

McPherson family says:

You are such an inspiration to me! Thank you for all of your ideas. I need to do that for my highchair, I was just gonna trash it, but now I think I can save it. By the way, I LOVE your fabric choices!!!!! It is so beautiful!

Jessica says:

Brilliant! I absolutely love it! :)

Hollie says:

That's pretty much the greatest idea I've seen in a long time. And your fabrics are adorable. It makes me want to make a new cover for mine, but my baby is 3 and doesn't use a highchair anymore. So sad!

Zura says:

that's like the most wonderful idea and tutorial, ever!! which reminds me my baby's chair needs a new cover too. my only problem is the shape of her chair is different from yours and i'm not confident with reverse engineering it yet…

tHe FeLt CrEw says:

tha is so cute…you dont happen to sell those online do ya??? I have neither the time nor the sewing capabilities to make something so wonderful….but would love to buy one…

I'm so sorry….I won't be selling the covers. Every high chair is so different. It would be too hard to come up dozens of patterns to fit all sorts of high chairs. Sorry about that! :) But thanks, I appreciate the interest!

The Murray Files says:

Thank you so much. My high chair has been bugging me for weeks,but didn't know what to do. I couldn't find a replacement that cost less than another high chair. Got to get out the sewing machine now. Thanks

Sara says:

Thanks for this tutorial! I've been wanting to do this but just didn't know how for sure (since our plastic cover is now duck-taped together :)

Jo - To a Pretty Life says:

Thanks for the tutorial. I would love to make this for my highchair before my little guy needs it. The current cover is gross. The bonus is that the new cover would be washable!

Buck, Steffanie, and our 3 kids says:

I love this!!!!!! Where did you get the paisley fabric from??

KMDuff says:

high chair that needs a cover? Check.
    old cover to use as a pattern? Oops, don't have that. Errr…going to be a bit harder to attempt without that!

[email protected] says:

That is fabulous. I think my favorite thing about your projects is that I feel like I could totally do that after I read your process. Your blog is so inspiring! Thanks so much, I'll be linking.

emsres says:

Fantastic!! It looks like it's brand new!!!

Lei says:

This is fabulous. It is really too bad I am done having babies. :(

Lacie @ Creative Attempts says:

The words fantastic and amazing just aren't enough!!

GG With A Twist of Lime says:

Love that brown paisley fabric. Who makes it and I wonder if it is still available.

I got that fabric at Joann's. I am not sure who made it and I don't even have any scraps of it left. Sorry about that. But I wonder if Joann's still has some……may be worth checking out! Good luck! :)

Katie says:

I'm wondering about the "quilted batting" you put on the back. Is it soft like batting or is it sort of like a plastic/vinyl type fabric?

Hi Katie, the quilted batting is just like regular batting but on one side, there is a piece of fabric that is sewn to it…….in swirly stitches all over it, like a manufactured quilt would look. Hope that helps. I'm sure you'll know what I mean when you see it at the fabric store. :)

Tiffany says:

What kind of fabric did you use? Anything special to not get stains from food?

It was just cotton. You can try using a pre-treated fabric or even sew a layer of vinyl on top….that may help with clean-up. But I just toss mine in the wash.

Hope that helps!
    Ashey

Mary Jason and boys says:

Dang! I wish I had a sewing machine! Anyone want to make one for me!? :D

Becky says:

Thank you! This is just what I have been looking for. When I pulled out our old highchair I had forgotten how bad it looked. Now I feel like I can attempt to recover it. The pictures really help.

Libby says:

I can't seem to find the quilted batting. The lady at JoAnn's cutting my fabric couldn't even help me. Is there a particular store that you got it at? Should it be by the rest of the batting?

Hi Libby,

I actually bought mine from Joann's. Hmmmmm……it may have a completely different name. it's just what it seemed like to me. But just to give a better description, it's a piece of batting with a piece of cotton on one side……then small seams all over to hold the two pieces together. I had the cotton side facing out, to keep the raw batting side towards the inside….free from getting snagged and such. And I think I found it on a bolt over by the baby fabrics. At least in the Joann's I got it at, there was a whole section of baby fabrics and quilting material, to be able to decorate a baby nursery.

I sure hope that helps! Good luck!

Libby says:

Thanks Ashley! I didn't look there at Joann's. I'll have to take a look next time. I stopped in at Hobby Lobby since it's closer and they had it with the rest of the batting on bolts. I'm making a swing cover and will post some pictures when I'm all done. Thanks for the tutorial!!

Tiffany says:

I absolutely love this project! Love your blog also. I'm so happy I stumbled upon it!! I referenced your project on my blog (http://thetastefulllife.blogspot.com/2010/07/high-chair-high-hopes.html).

:) Tiffany

Petunia says:

???About how much fabric and bias tape did you use for the highchair cover??? Thank you so much for this tutorial! My high chair really needs it! I have two boys and I will know in a week what I'm having next and if It's a GIRL I need a nice girly cover instead of the old boy one! Thanks again! Jen

Jaqi says:

It looks like what you used for the backing is actually a quilted fabric.You can buy it and just sew a blanket binding around the edges to create a quilt or bedspread (lightweight), or use in quilted crafts, like handbags, etc. Quilt batting doesn't have a fabric backing or quilting stitches on it.

Эленна (Elenna) says:

thanks a lot!

Angel says:

I used to have the same high chair, and I gave it to my friend before she moved a few states away, and I want to make a new cover for her to make it a little more girly, I was wondering if there was any way to post the measurements or a pattern for this exact high chair? Thanks :)

V says:

I just finished making one. Love it..the only thing is it seems kind of thin. Definantly not as thick as the original cover. You think I used the wrong quilted batting stuff?

Tia says:

WOW this is fantastic! How much fabric did you need to purchase? Im new to sewing but really want to give this a shot! Yours turned out perfect! Such talent you have!

Aimee says:

Thank you for posting these instructions! I was given the exact highchair as a hand-me-down. My daughter is the third to use it. I kept thinking her highchair could complent her cute-ness and now it will! Thanks!!

Ang says:

Thank you!! My daughter’s 1st birthday party is this weekend, I was able to do this as
    a fourth of July project and it came out great! I love the new look it makes it so much
    nicer. The plastic on my old one was torn and tattered. I also added vinyl to the bottom
    portion for easy clean up. I love it!!!!

Pam Houser says:

Oh you are awesome! I had picked up a used but very nice Fisher price high chair. I wanted to make a new cover for it for some time but was kind of unsure but now looking at your pic and instructions I have no doubt it will come out just as great as the one you did. Thank so much. :)

christine says:

i have aCampione Multiplo High Chair without a cover and after reading your blog have decided to have a go and make a new one rather than try and buy one. can anyone pls cut me a pattern off the one they have had or made pls, i will pay postage. thank you so much

Robin says:

You gave me a great idea and I was able to cover both of my chairs. Thanks!

katie says:

this is sooo cute :) i’m not recovering mine. i have the same highchair (with different UGLY cover). i can’t get away from your site, hahaha. have you thought about recovering a stroller?

Michelle says:

I have had your page bookmarked for over a year, with all the fabric I need to tackle this project. Tonight I picked up the missing piece – iron on vinyl for wipe-ability! I didn’t even know the stuff existed before I saw it in a craft book at JoAnn’s tonight, and they had it :) Thank you for posting this tutorial!

Danielle says:

Do you know the total amount of fabric used? I have this same high chair and want to order laminated cotton from Fabric.com.

Rebecca says:

I was wondering would I be able to take this idea & recover a play yard?
    or stroller ?

Lan says:

I’m so glad I found your tutorial. My Fisher Price high chair pad is falling apart. Did you have to prewash your fabrics before you cut? Has anyone made this with laminated fabric?

Vanessa says:

Thank you for this tutorial!! I just bough a high chair from a consignment shop yesterday and made a new cover for it this morning. It looks fantastic! Thanks so much!

Jen says:

I have the EXACT same high chair. It was my daughters and now my son’s been using it for months, so it needs some refab! lol. This is a great idea, I just hate to cut apart my old one, would rather have it as backup for really messy food nights. Could it be traced without the cut, do you think? Or maybe somewhere you have the original pattern from your cut one that can be copied and shared?

Kristen says:

What a perfect tutorial! Just what I was looking for. Thank you!

Marci says:

Thank you so much!!!! I knew there must be something else I could do besides throwing out the whole chair. This was perfect. I finished the cover in two evenings and have been using it for a week. It is so much easier to clean without the vinyl. And it’s so easy to make, I’m making two more to change out regularly. I love your blog! It gives me confidence to try it out on my own. Awesome job!

Katie says:

Wondering how much fabric you needed, and also how much bias tape you used as well. Thanks!

• 85.1.1
        Marci says:

Hi sorry to take so long. I used about   1 1/2 yards for the back and seat and had some left over. I’m not sure about the extra back flap at the top I used scrap fabrics. As for the bias tape, I didn’t use any, I just serged the edge with decorative thread.
        hope that helps

Kathy says:

Thanks for the great tutorial! I love my new high chair cover. It was fun to reverse engineer my old, nasty cover.

Katie F says:

You are so fantastic! Seeing this gave me inspiration to sew a new seat to our jumperoo. Totally nailed it! Thanks :)

Gladys says:

Thanks for the tutorial. Been meaning to make mine for ages. I already throw my cover long ago but tutorial is totally do-able. I just traced in a baking paper my high chair layer by layer measurements. Huge thanks.

Lorna says:

THANK YOU!!
    I’ve been looking for something like this forever, I can’t wait to try it!!

Leah says:

This is awesome…I was just going to order a replacement cover for ours, but evenflo doesn’t offer it for our model anymore. Quick question though. Did you cut the slits out for the waist harness?

Samantha says:

This is lovely! I can’t wait to try it!