Christmas Stockings

I have had a few requests for Christmas stockings. So while I was out looking through the upholstery fabric and found the material for my tree skirt, I picked up some for a stocking too…… (and a little bit of velvet-y trim for the top.)

But had to buy enough to make 3 more.

Why not?

The discounted upholstery fabric was ridiculously cheap.
And perfect for this project.

Can’t wait until we move and we have a fireplace to hang these from.
One more week.

To begin, trace around an old stocking….or draw your own. (Make sure to include enough for a seam allowance.)

Then cut out two of your main fabric and two of your lining.

Then, sew the pieces of your main fabric together (right sides together), leaving the top open. Do the same with the lining.

Now, cut slits into the curve of the stocking (to help it lay flat after turning it right side out).

Then turn your main fabric right side out and press flat. Then insert the lining inside of your stocking (while still inside out) and align it with the outer stocking. Sew right along the top opening of the stocking, making sure to evenly line up both the main fabric and the lining edges.

Next, cut a piece of coordinating fabric (to be used for the cuff of the stocking) that is wide enough to go all the way around and twice as tall as you’d like it. And make sure to include enough for seam allowances.

Sew this fabric into a tube…

And then slide the tube (inside out) over the top of the stocking. Line up the raw edges and sew together.

Now pull the tube up and off of the stocking until it’s right side out.

But pull it back down enough to give the cuff of the stocking a bit of a lip.

See how there’s about a 1/2 inch lip….or overlap?

Then pin this overlap into place…all the way around the stocking.

Then fold the top of the tube (about in half), down into the inside of the stocking…..leaving enough for a nice cuff. Pin the top fold in place. Then turn the stocking inside out, making sure to not poke yourself with the pins……..:) And then tuck under that raw edge and hand sew into place, all the way around the cuff.

Now, cut out a strip of fabric to make the loop.

Then sew it into a tube…

And then fold in half, tuck under the raw edges and attach to the cuff of the stocking.

And that’s it. A new stocking to collect gifts from Old St. Nick.
Pending good behavior, of course.

Comments

22 Responses to “Christmas Stockings”
    Vanessa says:

very nice!

Lauren says:

Thanks for sharing this! What an easy tutorial. I've been trying in vain to find the simple and lovely stockings I want, so now I'll just start looking for fabric instead! :)

Katie says:

These are so simple, but so so beautiful! What a great idea! Thank you!

Michelle says:

Yours are so cute! I needed a tutorial a week or so ago but I just went ahead and made them without one for my girls… take a look!

they didn't turn out the same size or shape but they still look really cute I think!

sofia's sketchbook says:

thanks for the easy instructions!!!
    now i feel i can do it myself….8-)

Anita says:

Lovely stockings! Best wishes on your move…are you going east to west, west to east, north to south, etc "across country"?

Goings on at the Glenn's says:

very cute! I love the embroidered upholstery fabric you found. I am also impress that you are still crafting away when you are moving soon.

Stephen, Shanelle, and Sean says:

Awesome idea! these are simple enough to make for even us Craft-0-Phobics
    -AKA- Me

Anita, we are going from west to east. Idaho to Georgia. And are thrilled for this new change! :)

Vickie says:

Those are the cutest stockings I have seen. Thanks for the tutorial. Take Care :)

Rose says:

{music notes}"have I told you lately, that I love you…{music notes} lol This is another great project, you make everything so simple! Thanks!

Beth says:

Love this idea!!! I've been wanting to make some new ones, so this is perfect!

P.S. You are gonna LOVE the south!!! I'm born and raised in Northern AL and could never move from the south. It's great. And GA has some great fun places. Tons of shopping in ATL, gorgeous old homes in Savannah (actually all over the state)…ahh! Love it.

4 crazy polkadots says:

Thank you for this, I've been looking for tutorials online, but they were confusing me. Your directions are always so clear:)

The Noalls says:

I agree with everyone else–so cute, you're way innovative, impressed you're still makin' stuff when you're moving soon, and you really do make things so clear. I will be doing this one, eventually at least. I hope your move goes smoothly! Getting out of a Southeast Idaho winter into a Southern one will be awesome, I'm sure! :)

simplymodernmom.com says:

so cute! here are the christmas stockings I made. http://www.simplymodernmom.com/2009/12/blanket-stitch-christmas-stockings/

şehnaz says:

hello,very very good……turkey

Anna Mae says:

Thank you! I've hated that i haven't been able to find a stocking for my son to match my husband and i's, which we bought when we were first married… and i was beginning to think i was just gonna have to go out and buy all matching ones in bulk to accommodate future children as well! lol but now i can just make them on my own! Thank you so much!

Jill says:

I want to try this!

martha says:

Lovely tut as always…let’s say i want to machine embroid the cuff with my kids names…how would I go about it? thank you! :)

Annie says:

I am SO excited to start this project, my question is how much fabric did it take to make three stockings?!

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. [...] ·  35 Comments  I know, I just made stockings last year.   (Click here to see them.) (And the Christmas tree skirt is found here, in case you need one of those too.) [...]