Scarf Re-Purpose: Leggings

Ready for Part III of the Scarf Re-purpose series? (Part I here and Part II here.) If you haven’t cut into any of those scarves yet, now is the time. And if you’ve now used up all of your scarves…….go buy more. :)

This one can be for a little gal or a little mister. Just like this project here.

Either way…….we need to warm up those little legs.
The Baby Legs way.

**Suggestion: Try to cut into a scarf (or sweater) as little as possible. For any project. It’s hard to cut the scarf and then sew it back together because of the woven pattern in each scarf. It’s hard to get a strong seam…..with all of those loose ends of the woven scarf. So with each of these projects, I try to use the original sides or ends of each scarf as much as possible. It makes your project a lot easier. Just though I’d mention that.

To make these little scarf baby legs, you’ll need to find any sort of scarf with some stretch and wide enough to wrap around your subject’s leg.

Now cut your scarf in half so that you have two pieces. Decide how long you’ll need your baby legs to be, add and 1-2 inches to the top for the elastic casing at the top, and also enough to allow for it to shorten after it is stretched out. (After you put them on, they stretch out width-wise, which causes them to shorten length-wise.) Fold in half length wise with right sides together (if applicable) and then sew a stitch along the edges. Then sew another seam (or a zig-zag seam), just to reinforce the seam.

***Also, do you see how one end has the original edge of the scarf? Make sure you have the original edge of the scarf at the bottom of both baby legs, to eliminate bulk and to keep that nice and finished look.

Then, make a casing at the top, just like the tutorial here. And I used some elastic cording, to keep it less bulky. (Sorry, I forgot to take pictures of the casing and elastic.)

And that’s it.
Nice and cozy……and nice and free.

Filed under Accessory, Baby, Children, Clothing, Re-purposing, Sewing

Comments

25 Responses to “Scarf Re-Purpose: Leggings”
    I enjoy being a girl says:

Thank you for sharing all of this information, I love your blog!
    p.s I was wondering where I would find out how to make those super cute little girl shoes with the brown ribbon straps and felt circles, I've looked everywhere but can't find them.

Heidi and Rich says:

I can't wait to make some of these for my little one. I have been trying to buy the tie pattern from your etsy shop but I keep going there and they are sold out. How can I get one?

Goings on at the Glenn's says:

very cute. I do have one question though. Do the baby legs have a tendency to fall off?

Alisa says:

I have loved seeing all your repurposing projects lately. This one is by far my favorite!

Now, if I only had a scarf and a little girl.

Enjoy being a girl – I will have the bootie pattern up in my etsy shop in another week or so.

And I have had the leggings on my girl all day and she has been running, jumping and playing around today like normal, and they have stayed up great. Just make the elastic at the top tight enough to stay snug.

Heidi, there are plenty of ties in my shop, just make sure you aren't going back to an old listing. Go to the shop's homepage and you'll see plenty there.

Good luck!! :)

Corey~living and loving says:

I just made some of this last weekend with sweater arms. :) so fun!

Melanie says:

My little girl has those same shoes, in black, and they even have the same scuff on the toe! What is it with kids and tearing up shoes?? :)

Just Rhonda says:

oh so awesome!!! I can't wait try these for my little girl!!!

Risley and Dylan says:

Great Idea!
    I will have to try this for a niece of mine!
    Thanks!

Dalling Family says:

Those are so adorable! Bri has the same shoes…with the same scuffed toes. Pick up those feet ladies!

kanishk says:

I have been trying to buy the tie pattern from your easy shop.

Work From Home India

kanishk – the tie pattern is in my shop here: http://www.makeitandloveit.etsy.com

Good luck!

Rebecca says:

Love these!!

[email protected] says:

That is so cute! I want a pair for myself…so nice and warm. Hmm…I really might have to do this. Thanks!

Little Lizard says:

I can't wait to try this. We'll be digging out the scarves at the little lizard house this weekend.
    Thanks!

Jennifer DeDonato says:

very cute…looks really great.

Jessica says:

I'm loving your scarf re-purposes. I'm linking to this one and the owl on my little blog http://alittlegray.blogspot.com/

you have to check these cute leggings and jeggings I found on the web http://www.sockoes.com it will give you some ideas.

Lisa Hartman says:

So, the elasticgoes around the child’s thigh, not the waist?

cucicucicoo says:

thank you so much for all three of these scarf repurpose ideas. i love scarves but have so many that i never wear them all. these are perfect ways to actually use them! :) lisa

Lee says:

I’m still not sure how to make the waistband for these adorable leggings. I can visualize how to repurpose the scarf for the legs but how to you make the casing? Do you cut 2 fronts and 2 backs out of the scarf and make them like pants? Maybe that’s it! :) Help!
    I LOVE your ideas! I have a 3 year old who I can’t wait to start sewing for!

Julie M says:

Hey Ashley, love these!!! My little 2 year old keeps telling me she wants these:) So, I’m ready to make them but have a question about the top – I measured her legs and her thigh is about 11 inches around – would I make them 11 inches around or less?