Re-purposing: Girls Pants Part II

First of all, thanks for the great response for the tie pattern. Wow. You’ve all been seriously kind. And good luck with creating them. You’ll have a great time!

Okay, on to a new pair of pants that I made for my little lady.

Nice and comfy pants……at no cost to me. I used the same pattern as the pants here. But this time I cut out a flower shape and added a ruffle.

I used an old pink t-shirt and some scraps of a brown knit shirt for the backing. Make note that my flower isn’t perfect and if you make different size petals, it adds character. (at least that’s what I tell myself!!) So you can free-hand some petals or cut some out with paper and trace around them onto the pant leg before sewing it all together. And I used more of the brown to create a ruffle around the bottom. I decided the length that I wanted it (add an inch or two for growth….) and then made it twice as wide as the length of the pant leg all the way around. That will ensure a good gather. If you’re new to creating a ruffle, use the tutorial here. I didn’t hem the top or the bottom though because I used knit, which doesn’t fray.

And that’s it.

Another pair of pants for your little miss to feel comfortable in.

Comments

12 Responses to “Re-purposing: Girls Pants Part II”
    Mom's Place says:

Cute!! Perfect for pants that fit every other way than length!!

Karin says:

Those are some fun and happy pants. I bet any girl would love those :-)

Jessica says:

I have a question:

When I sew a knit with spandex in it I get a lot of pulling/ruffling from the seams. Im using a zig zag stitch so it stretches. What am I doing wrong? I love your stuff (the pics are so cute and professional!), but when I make it, it looks like its homemade.

Thank you.

Jennifer says:

Very cute! I need to get to work on making some more for my little girls for our trip to the midwest in a few weeks

Anissa says:

Very cute. I'm a new follower of your blog and am just loving it.

These pants look like they have a different waistband on them then the green pants you referenced to. Is it different somehow?

And I second the question from Jessica about the pulling/ruffling with the knit fabrics… I have that same problem. So hard for newbie sewers!

Yeah, knit is a little tricky. I only recently became friends with the stuff!! It used to make me angry. :) But something I always do is test out my stitching on every new type of knit that I get. I often use a zig-zag on the knit. And I change the stitch length to a bigger one, so that the width of the zig-zag is longer. And then I play around with my other settings. I don't really have a perfect answer…….I just play around with the settings a bit. Eeeee, sorry I wasn't more helpful! :)

Carol B says:

SOOOOooooooo cute!

TNT says:

those are dang cute!

Sorry, I forgot that I made a different waistband for these pants. All I did differently was make a more narrow casing for the elastic and then used really thin elastic. I did this because I needed more length on the pants so that the top of the pants were high enough and not low riders. Make sense? But you can still make these pants using the other instructions.

Sorry to confuse you!!

Billy and Sarah says:

Too cute! I made a pair of pants for my daughter using your technique to add a turtle (her fav critter) to her them!