Re-Purposing: Boy’s Pants

Can you believe it? A boy project. I’ve been trying to think of new things for my sweet boy…..it’s just harder to come up with projects for him. Skirts and frills that seem to be easy to create…..don’t look so great on boys. Darn.

But how about some hip little pants?

Complete with belt loops and faux back pockets.
All made from a men’s pair of shorts.

And then match it up with a shirt and tie.
Why not?
However, you may find yourself wanting to eat him up. Mmmm….cute.
(tie pattern will be available soon. well, kind of soon.)

Give it a try if you have a little guy.

How?

: : : Click on images to enlarge. : : :

Find an old pair of shorts or pants that have a fun pattern……or keep it plain. It’s up to you. (And if you don’t have any to spare…..head on over to the thrift store and pick some up.)

Then, using the tutorial here, make a pair of pants to fit your little guy.

Next, I attached a button to the center front. And then I made a mock zipper fly section by sewing a seam from the top about an inch away from the center seam to the right……then sewed down several inches and curved over to the left to the center seam. (Whew, that wording was confusing…..just look at the picture!!)

Now, you’re going to cut off all of the belt loops from the men’s shorts/pants. (Or if the shorts/pants didn’t have any, you can create your own or skip it all together.)

Turn under the ends of the loops a 1/4 inch and attach to the pants.

Then I cut rectangles from the waist band to create back pockets that were about 3 1/2 x 2 1/2 inches. (My pants are size: 18 months.) By using the waistband, it was already double layered and had a nice seam for the bottom of the flap. But you can use scrap fabric and create your own double layer and bottom seam. No worries.

The I folded under each end a 1/4 inch.

Then I folded under the top about a 1/4 inch and positioned them on the back of the pants. Sew into place and iron flat. (You can also add a button to the back flaps and sew them to the flaps and through the pants too. That would help keep the flaps in place…..but mine stay in place just fine.)

And that’s it. A rockin’ new pair of plaid pants for your little guy.

Filed under Baby, Children, Clothing, Re-purposing, Sewing

Comments

21 Responses to “Re-Purposing: Boy’s Pants”
    Mom's Place says:

So cute!!!! I finally have a little boy to sew for!!!!

Jennifer says:

So cute! (Especially the matching tie lol) Not many shorts around this house though I'll have to grab some from the thrift store. =)

The Crandizzles says:

Yay! Boy clothes! I have two boys and wanted girls both times so your cute little girl creations make me want a girl even more so thanks for making something that my boys can wear (without having my husband tell me they can't wear it out in public)!

Mandy says:

can't wait for the tie pattern!

Crystal says:

CUTE!!

I know your busy but I was wondering if you have the boy tie patterns up for sale yet?

curlyboom at gmail dot com

wileyfamilyof5 says:

I just love your blog. You have inspired me to make afew things and dust off the sewing machine again. I recently repurposed a velvet prom dress I had and made my daughter a skirt for Christmas. All the embelishments made perfect bows. She is ready for Christmas now. At no cost to me. Ya!

Jessica says:

Love it! Thanks for posting something cute for the boys!

Superman says:

love these. I can't wait to make them!!!

Tater Tot Mom says:

These are adorable! I'm so glad that you show some things for boys because there isn't much out there! Thanks!

Rachel D says:

A boy project! As the only female in my household – Thank You!

Stephanie says:

I love the matching tie!

Laree says:

ack! that tie is so flippin adorable! Can't wait for that pattern.

Kristin Dyer says:

Love these, I am going to have to convince my husband to get rid of some of his shorts.

Goings on at the Glenn's says:

I think it is just great that both your little girl and your little boy are the same sizes as my little ones! It makes things soo easy! Thanks for the tutorial. Can't wait for the tie pattern!

Michelle says:

Yeah! With two little boys, I love seeing boy things! What a great project….

Twiddle Thumbs says:

That is awesome! Great tutorial

Erin says:

you are brilliant! i will be copying this for my littlest boy. thanks!

prec says:

i don't have a baby boy but i have a baby girl who goes through clothes way too quickly! thanks for the great post!
    i'm a new follower of your blog! love it!

sandandstarfish.com

markandlouise says:

Ashley, I really love your blog! I'm just a beginning sewer and your easy to follow tutorials are exactly what I need! Thank you so much for sharing all your wonderful ideas. You can check out what you inspired me to make on our blog http://markandlouise.wordpress.com/2010/01/08/something-from-nothing/

Thanks for sharing all your creative ideas!

Olubunmi says:

OMG! I was looking for white pants to purchase for my little one. And funny enough… I sew. I should just make him some pants. Thank you so much for your post. It reminded me of what we crafty people do best… and that is to use our hands.

Note that I will probably not repurpose them, but you have inspired me not to only to make them, but also to just keep in mind that if you make them, you can make matching things to go along with them. (Since I need white pants for him, I will have to find fabric, but truly … you just gave me an 'ahh haaa moment'.