Peter Pan Costume

Here the 2nd half to yesterday’s magic.

I can’t even believe how big my little guy is getting…..and to see him as Peter Pan, just about dropped me to the floor.  Oooooh, I just wanted to nibble those chubby cheeks and raspberry that round little belly…….and keep him nice and young. Yum.
(Do you think he’ll still be letting me munch on him in 5 years?)

Here’s how:

: : : Click on images to enlarge. : : :
Start by folding some fleece in half. I used a piece that was 25 inches wide and 16 inches tall while folded in half (so 32 total inches tall). Then I found the center of the top (along the fold) and cut a ‘V’ down the front and just a little scoop along the back.
That ‘V’ is about 4 inches wide and 3 inches tall.

Then cut a straight line up the back.

And attach velcro:

Then turn it back over to the front and cut out some sort of shape to the shirt, creating some sleeves…..but still leaving a good amount to the width, so that you’ll have some shirt to cinch up in the belt at the end.

Turn it inside out, sew up the sides along the new curves, and then turn it right side out again. Now, make diagonal cuts all along the bottom and sleeves.

That’s it. Nice and easy.

Now onto the belt. I used the tutorial here and made it out of felt about 1 3/4 inches wide. I just cut strips out of the those rectangle pieces of felt and sewed them together. I actually made the belt 2 layers thick…..and just sewed down the middle and sides to keep the 2 layers together.

Now time to make the knife for Peter’s belt. I cut out some shapes in felt to construct the knife. And each shape is 3 layers thick, except for the center one….it’s just 2 layers thick.

Then I stitched the blade layers in place and added some detail…..and did the same with the handle. Trim if necessary.

Sew the blade and the handle together.

Then lay the last section under and over where the blade and handle meet. Sew all the way around it, securing the knife together as one piece. Then I sewed a little loop onto the back of the handle, so that it could slide onto the belt.

Then I made some pants using the the tutorial here. However, I made the legs a lot more narrow, so that it would look more like leggings.

Okay, onto the hat. This may seem a bit confusing….because all I have are shapes to give you. But I cut out a triangular shape with the top of the triangle more towards the back………. and the bottom of the triangle a bit curved. Then I cut a bottom brim section like I did below. I cut two of the triangle section ant two of the brim section……they are stacked right on top of each other.

Then I sewed all along the larger triangles, leaving the bottom edges open. And I sewed along the left edges of the 2 brim pieces. (Click to enlarge.)

Then I turned the hat right side out while leaving the brim inside out and lined up the back seams. Place the brim edge underneath the hat edge and overlap about a 1/2 inch. pin all the way around the hat on both sides.

Then sew into place.

Then fold up the brim.

Then I tacked the back of the brim into place on the back. Just to keep it from unfolding.

Then I attached some elastic to keep the hat in place while on Peter Pan’s head!

And then added a feather.

Now your whole ensemble is ready.

Now he’s ready to battle Hook.

Go get ‘em buddy.

Filed under Baby, Children, Clothing, Halloween Costumes, Holiday, Sewing

Comments

187 Responses to “Peter Pan Costume”
    Jenn says:

That costume makes me wish so badly I had a little guy to make one for. But alas I have 3 girls that would die for the tinkerbell. Thanks for the great tutorials.

christy says:

ADORABLE! Tink was too cute, but htis one has me wanting another baby. :) My "baby" is 6 & can only wear "cool/tough" costumes. Greatjob!

Jen says:

That is SO adorable!

Bartlett Boys + Mommy says:

The outfit is awesome…however, the little guy in it makes the whole thing perfect! Great job!
    …Summer

The Hardy Things in Life says:

So fun!! They are getting so big, but they are going to be a pretty cute combo for Halloween!! You are awesome Ashley!! Love all your fun ideas!!

Tonya says:

I LOVE IT!!! The costume is great, but your son is ADORABLE!

Melanie says:

The best thing about these is that they seem like they were pretty cheap- especially if you are using coupons! I {heart} cheap. Any suggestions for a 5-month-old girl costume??? I'm stumped. And I have 10 days.

Anna says:

This is sooo cute! He looks like he'll have a great time!

Sabrina @ Twiggles and Trunks says:

so stinking cute! i'm tempted to call my friend (who has a son) and make him be peter & my daughter be tinkerbell!

Cindy says:

I'm so impressed you make these costumes with no patterns and they turn out so incredibly cute. You're amazing!

pepperblossom decor says:

Aww.. Sweet. I wish my little boy were just a little older!

The Rowburys says:

Oh my gosh!!!! He is so adorable! I love the costume!

ScottChrisCoriCassiCali says:

That is about the cutest thing I've ever seen. Peter Pan is my most favorite Disney character ever. You did a fabulous job.

Goings on at the Glenn's says:

soo sooo cute! I love it! Thanks for the tutorials!

MaryAnne says:

Oh wow, SO adorable! Makes me want to completely revamp my Halloween costume ideas for my kids…

The Harris Family says:

This is adorable! He looks so cute. Great job. I'm going to try and remember these in the future(we need a little boy first).

Vanessa says:

so cute!

Mom's Place says:

Way cute!!!

Nancy says:

This is great! Thanks for sharing.

Kathy says:

So darling…..

~Kathie~ says:

Oh–too cute!!!! Makes me wish my boys were that little again!!

Grace @ One Craft Girl's Corner says:

How wonderful! You make it look so easy!

Tiffany says:

Ok that is just too darn cute! Love it!

Megann says:

My son is Pan too. I have everything except the hat figured out. Thanks. Oh, also my little one will be tink. Thanks for the tips.

Rachel says:

I am so glad I saw this! I just finished making a Tinkerbell costume for my daughter (from a pattern – didn't see your tutorial in time, darn it!). I was just about to cut out the pattern for my son's Peter Pan costume. I am going to do this one, instead though. It is so much cute, and MUCH easier!

Candice says:

That is the cutest costume! I love it!

Jessica says:

Love both of these costumes! Great job!!

Hollis says:

Really CUte! I wish I could sew! You should post a pic of them together as tink and peter! They are just too cute! I am way impressed that you made the WHOLE costume! For both of them, down to the spear and wings! Way to go!

Angie says:

You are AWESOME!! This is darling – and so easy to do too! Thank you so much for another wonderful detailed tute!!

The Noalls says:

Darling boy, cute costume, and as I'm currently tearing my hair out trying to make a Yoda headpiece for my little guy, I'm very impressed that you didn't use patterns! Thanks for sharing!

Katie says:

So fun! Thanks for sharing!

Grow Family says:

I didn't find your blog soon enough! I'm in the middle of a VERY involved Tinkerbell costume for my 3 year old. I'm tempted to ditch the stuff I got for my 18-month old's Peter Pan costume and make yours because it's so much cuter & so easy! :) I for sure will make the sword, hat, and belt that you showed. Thanks for sharing!

jess says:

um. wow! you are amazing!

it makes me sick sometimes. hehe

Catherine and Derrick says:

How cute!! He looks great. They are going to be a great combo!!

veronica camara bevia says:

so cute!!
    I really love it!
    congratulations for your job
    fromspainwithlove

treva e says:

Oh that turned out so CUTE! He will probably let you munch kisses on him in 5 years, but I bet he wont you let you make him wear green pants then. Your duet with the pixie yesterday really is fun!

Chris, Kristina, Nathan and....Audrey! says:

Hmmm, might be doing Tinkerbell and Peter Pan next year for the kiddies. Thanks for sharing both ideas, they are both so super cute!

Wendy says:

That is just adorable!!

Jennifer says:

This is SO awesome! I love this, almost makes me wish I had a little guy to make one for! :)

Beth- the mama bee says:

I just love it. Fleece makes such nice costumes.

cynthi says:

This is so great! MY husband and I are going as Peter Pan and Tinker Bell to an adult Halloween party and I've been wondering how I'd make the hat.

Becca says:

This is perfect- I have been searching for the perfect costume for my 1 1/2 year old and this is it. Thank you!

Kristina says:

This is so cute. I am actually going to use this for my husband. My daughter is going to be Tinkerbell and I am going to be Wendy so naturally we need a Peter. Thank you so much for sharing!

jodi says:

Ashley I love both these costumes. I wish your kids were coming to my house trick or treating.

Tiffany says:

Hey Ashley, Have I told you how spectacular you are? I've been wanting to make a Peter Pan costume for my boys, but not sure where you even begin…look at you! I'm sooo excited to do this! Thanks!

Perrine says:

Hello!
    I really like your how to. I was wondering if I could translate it in French and add it to my list of how to as explained in my french post (http://www.petitcitron.com/index.php/form_howto.html)
    Of course, your website would be quoted and there would be a link!
    Perrine

Perrine, yes you can sure link to my tutorial from your blog. Thanks!

Nikki says:

Oh Ash! Where were you two Halloweens ago when I made my two youngest Peter Pan & Tinker Bell? Not that mine didn't turn out good- just not this AMAZING! you are awesome!

Karin says:

That costume is so adorable. He indeed looks cute enough to eat!

AmyGale says:

Oh my gosh! Thanks so much for making these! I have been looking all over for these costumes and I haven't found any that don't cost a pretty penny! These will work perfectly! I'm so glad my sister showed me your blog! Thanks!

KateSue says:

I was looking for a basic Peter Pan costume and just happened to find your site. This is EXACTLY what I was looking for. I had gone to Joann's on Saturday and their pattern was $16 bucks! I decided I could wing it myself, but luckily I didn't even have to. I followed your directions and whipped out his shirt in about ten minutes. Whew! I also had bought some brown cording and punched holes in the 'v' at the collar to add a little more detail. Now onto the hat, belt and sword. Super cute!

Jill says:

Just happened to stumble across your site when googling "how to make a Peter Pan costume." When you "shaped" the shirt did you have to sew up the sides? It seems like it would be open otherwise. Am I missing something? I'm new to this making costumes thing. :)

Jill….so sorry. I did leave that out. Whoops! :) Yes, you'll turn it inside out and sew up those sides and then turn it right side out again. Then you'll cut the bottom and make your triangle shapes. I fixed that in the tutorial too. So thank you!!!

Good luck!

Tierra says:

Thanks so much for this tutorial. When I saw it I thought it was perfect. Easy to do and adorable.
    Here is a picture of how mine turned out.

Tierra

bravesfan96 says:

You saved me! My 3 year old is going as Tinker Bell and I could not find a Peter Pan costume for my 9 month old. I'm making it tonight! :)

Nan says:

This is so darling thanks for posting how you made it.

von Hand zu Hand says:

i really love it.
    it's so simple, but very cute!

i set a link. i hope you'll agree.

thanks for the tutorial.

doro.

Kristina says:

can't wait to try this out….just finished a tinkerbell costume for my daughter…They are going to wear them to Disney this fall…

Suzi says:

Do you remember the dimensions on the hat. How do you determine how big around it is to fit the head?

becomewhatyouare says:

Thank you so much for this tutorial!!! In a homeschool group production of A Midsummer Night's Dream, we decided that the fairy, Mustardseed, would have a costume of "Peter Pan" style. I was stumped, but here is my answer!!! THANK YOU.

p.s. your little guy is ADORABLE!
    He may not let you munch on him in 5 years, but he will again in 15!

Camille says:

Thank you so much! This looks much cuter than the expensive patterns out there. I have two little boys and take them to Disneyland weekly. It bothers me that there aren't as many cute outfits for boys, but this one is fantastic!

Michael & Flora says:

This costume was just amazing.. I made it for my li'l man Zach..and he looked uuuber cute..i wish i could post a pic of him in his costume for you to see…Thank you so much for the fab idea..God bless

My 6yr old son is set on going as Peter Pan for 'Little Writers Day'. I think your tutorial is fantabulous and not too difficult. I can't wait to try it out. Thankyou for sharing :D

Thank you for this pattern. I had to make a Peter Pan costume for my 28 year old brother and just adapted this in a bigger size! He looked great! Thanks again for your inspiration :)

Kristi says:

My twins are going to be Captain Hook and Peter Pan for Halloween this year, and this costume is perfect!!! Thanks so much for sharing. :)

SpartanGirl says:

Adorable costume!! I'll be featuring (and linking) this project on my blog this week. Thanks for sharing!

Angie says:

I'm so glad you posted this, and the tinkerbell costume! I have been wanting to make these for months for my kiddos and finally get to buy the supplies tomorrow! I just started sewing this year, and haven't made any clothing. I'm nervous, but your tutes are always so good…I'm sure I can do it! Thanks so much!

Jessica Turner says:

I made this costume for my 2 year old this year. Here is my post with the measurements I used and a few tips: http://jessicaturnersblog.blogspot.com/2010/10/peter-pan-costume-making-tips.html

It turned out adorable! Thanks so much!!

My girlfriend is dressing as a ferry for a party. I came across this site and made this costume for myself. Its a bit larger but the same. I made one small change i cut the neck out just a little deeper then cut small slits on each side and put in brown laces. Just cut small strips from the hat material to make the laces. Had a brown belt that works and just got a pair of sweat pants for the bottoms. So easy and its going to be a hit. Thanks for sharing!

Andrea says:

I just made the hat very easy.
    My son has to dress like a fairy Tale character at school on Valentines Day. And he picked peter pan and i came across your web sit. Thanks for all the great tips.

@jenhalloran says:

Stumbled onto your blog looking for a Peter Pan costume. Great info — adorable costume and little guy! I made a version similar to yours for my 6'4" 18-yr. old son to wear to a "famous couples" dance. I only had about 20 minutes to make the entire costume, so rather than making the hat in two pieces as you suggest, I cut the entire triangle shape to incorporate the brim. Then I just sewed the top together, turned the bottom up to form a brim, ironed it and tacked it into place. Voila! Thanks again for sharing your great idea.

maria says:

Hi, I write you from Italy and for our holiday in Italy I realised your projet, I put your beautiful site blog adresse in my blog many kissess from Italy!!

Jess says:

I just wanted to let you know I stumbled upon this post while searching for help as I attempted to make a hat for my Fleur Delacour costume for the midnight showing of Harry Potter in my area. I had all these complicated ideas in my mind on how to make the hat, but after reading your how-to, I modified your idea slightly for the shape I needed, and it worked out perfectly. Thank you so much for posting your great (and easy) instructions with pictures!!

Jessica Bara says:

It was so great to find this! I had bought the felt and red feather and was going to figure out my own pattern but this is much better and easier. Plus you have a simple, cheap solution for the knife that I hadn’t even thought of. Thank you for posting this!

Jesse says:

I just went to the store at 7 and finished the hat, shirt, belt, and sword by 10 with my husband and baby making me stop every five minutes! I think it would have taken about 2 hours total with cutting and a newer machine… But easy and fun. My son is already smiling and wanting it. :) thanks so much! I’m working on a tinkerbell costume for me next! :)

Julie says:

I totally made this for myself today for a theme day at work! Thanks for the idea!!

Do you happen to have an Esty shop? Would you be interested in making a costume for someone?

Corinne says:

I’m going to make this for my 9 month old son. It is very cute and we are going to go with two little girls and they are going to be fairies. I hope it turns out well.

Amber says:

This costume is adorable (and so is your son btw)! And I think I can actually make this for my son :) Thanks so much for sharing! So now I’m wondering what you’re making for your kids this Halloween…

Marcy says:

I made the shirt for this, but left the bottom of it straight, and it made the PERFECT little garden gnome top!! Thank you so much for this tutorial!!!

Morgan says:

im a 15 year old girl wanting to be Peter pan for halloween ^_^ have to make it myself, this is super cute thanks for the ideas!

Amy says:

My kids have been obsessed with Peter Pan since we went to Disney World and I was go happy I found this adorable tutorial! I made it for my 6 week old and it turned out very cute. My daughters will be Wendy and TInk and my sons Captain Hook and Peter Pan. Thanks so much for posting this.

Danielle says:

Just wanted to say thanks! I used your tutorial as a template to make my son’s costume this year! My daughter received a Tinkerbell costume for her birthday so he was cast as Peter Pan.

3 boot covers and two hats later (with some borrowed leggings from his sister) produced one cute costume from this once-a-year-seamstress!

Geraldine says:

I used your tutorial to create a Peter Pan costume for my daughter, with crocheted slippers. Thanks for sharing your pattern, my daughter was soooo happy to receive this costume for Christmas. You can see her on my blog http://aufildesenvies.blogspot.com/2012/01/prends-garde-toi-capitaine-crochet.html
    Have a nice day !

winona says:

thank yo so much for posting this. my son just loves the peter pan costume and he really enjoyed helping.

Nilza says:

Hello!! Thanks for posting this awesome tutorial!! I sewed a hat and a shirt for my 5 years old boy, of course he loved!!!
    Big hugs from a brazilian mother!!!!

andrea whorlton says:

Thanxs…. Peter Pan Week…… Was just going to buy one till i found your link xxxx

Thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuu! so much xx

Jill says:

So, so fun! Thanks for sharing your skills!

Henry says:

God! I admire your masterpiece!

Lisa says:

too cute! I just made the tunic for my 17 month old son to wear to the Robin Hood renaissance fair this weekend!

Jennifer says:

Cutest thing ever!

Sunny says:

We just used your pattern for the hat to make peter pan hats for our Fairy Garden party and they were adorable. Thank you, thank you for such wonderful ideas. I included you in the credits for my blog post about the party here…

Komal says:

Ashley,

Do you make this Peter Pan costume for sale by any chance?

Mommy To 3 says:

Wow, this is adorable!! I have been in search for peter pan and this is perfect. My 3 y.o. is going to be Captain Hook this year and then my twins (15 months boy & girl) are going be Tinkerbell & Peter Pan! Thanks for posting this!!

Rebekah says:

Hey thanks so much for the tutorial!! I revamped it into a Native American costume (still in the process of cutting everything – just making everything out of tan fleece) and doing a fringe instead of the zig zag at the bottom. My son was invited to a western themed first birthday party and I thought I’d make him a little indian costume since mostly everyone else is probably going as a cow boy or cow girl. thanks again for the tutorial, you’re the only one whose helpful enough to put pictures up all the other tutorials leave you guessing and confused on what to do. :)

Melissa says:

Thank you!!!! This is so freaking cute and so easy! I desperately wanted my little man to be Peter Pan, but I refused to pay $50 for a costume! I am so excited to make this!

Kim says:

Thank you so much for this!! I made this costume for my 18 month old last year… he was SO precious!!

Mary says:

My 2 year old daughter has been begging to be Peter Pan ever since her 4 year old sister decided to be Izzie (from Jake and the Neverland Pirates) and I SO did not want to buy something…your pattern is PERFECT. THANK YOU for sharing your tute!! You are so talented and thank you for being so generous with your time and gifts!

sara says:

This is fantastic my little boy is 3 and peter pan mad. I have been looking for a costume for him for christmas but they dont lok like the peter pan from the film. I will definitley be having a go at making him this. Thanks

Adorable!! Thanks for sharing the tutorial, can’t wait to have a boy so we can make one :)

I featured your costume on my blog today, come by and check it out: http://www.artsyfartsymama.com/2012/10/pinteresting-features-n-shtuff-53.html

Hello there! This is really awesome tutorial. :) I loved it. I will try this for my son’s Halloween party next week.
    Though I am not a great sewer, I will do my best. :)

Caynen's Mama says:

Just made this in a half hour for my 3 month old- SO sweet! Thanks for the super easy directions and clever idea. You sure made me look like super mom today ; )

Courtney says:

I used your “tutorial” for the Peter Pan hat to make my little guy a hat to wear with his lederhosen for Oktoberfest. I added a picture to the Halloween flicker group, but here is a link to my blog post about it. http://kissescomeintwos.blogspot.com/2012/10/oktoberfest.html

Brandy says:

I just wanted to let you know that I linked to this tutorial on my blog because I’m going to use it for my little guy’s Halloween costume this year! Thanks for being awesome!

Krysta says:

Thank you, thank you for this Peter Pan costume tutorial! This turned out perfectly for my 4 year old. He loves it! The only thing I changed was instead of cutting up the back and adding velcro, I cut the hole for his head large enough for him to fit through. It turned out beautifully, so thank you again!

Leslee says:

Thank you for this! I had already bought the Peter Pan shirt, but we still needed the hat and dagger. You helped me make them for my little guy! He’s so happy…and I’m proud! :)

Made the costume and had a perfect Peter Pan for Halloween. My older son was Captain Hook… it was too cute! Thanks for sharing the tutorial :)

aww! this costume is soo cute!! but it’d be better if the instructions were placed into a pdf file, so I can print it out, carry it and make it wherever I am even if I’m not online.

Sabrina says:

hello ! Thank you for this great tutorial ! I wonder which fabric you used to make the green t-shirt ? is it felt ? Thank’s for your help !

Sabrina

Mei says:

Thank you so much for sharing! I am glad that I was very reluctant to purchase the ready made outfit from the store which was overpriced and not of the best material. LOVE LOVE your version!

maryline says:

Thanks a lot for your model. !!!

Sally says:

Thank you so much for your blog on making a Peter pan costume,best I found..my son is super happy today weating his homemade Peter Pan outfit today for world book day-and as a novice to making thi.gs Im thrilled how well it turned out,thanks to your blog to guide me through!:)

Lindsey says:

I used your tutorials to make Peter Pan and Tinkerbell costumes for my kids this year. THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing your sewing tips and knowledge! Your blog has taken me to another level of sewing. Pictures of my finished products are here http://sggmom.blogspot.com/2013/09/peter-pan-and-tinkerbell-for-halloween.html . So excited for Halloween this year!

Christin says:

This is sooo adorable! I’m making it for my little brother :) what size did he wear in those pictures? My brother wears 12 months

Jeannette says:

This tutorial is fantastic, thank you so much for sharing this awesome DIY consume! I am in California and I am making this costume for my almost 18 month old son. He will first be wearing this at his buddy’s birthday party this Sunday.

Lory says:

Hi! How was your Halloween? For my post about Halloween costumes for kids I cited this your post here:
    Thank you for sharing your ideas with us!
    A kiss froom Spain
    Lory

MNoëlle D says:

Je me suis énormément inspirée de vos photos pour réaliser le costume de Peter Pan de mon fils. Merci beaucoup et je pense qu’il va faire fureur auprès de ces petits camarades!!!!!

Congratulations and I think I’ll come back on this site for more ideas…..

Debbie says:

Hi, I love it! It’ so cute!!! I want to do it for my boy. He is 2 1/2 years old. Should I chance any of your mesures?

Thank you very much!!

Debbie

carol tettmar says:

carol tettmar says:

Just finished peter pan costume for my 4yr old grandson, Ryley. Did a few adjustments, like sandwiching ridgid plastic from an old lid, in between sword material so it was sturdy. Also, sewed a white’buckle’ on belt. The belt fastened with Velcro. Hope he likes it….looks amazing

Natalia G. Manuel says:

My only son needs a Peter Pan Costume, thanks for the tutorials.