Autumn “FALL” Blocks

Do you have an itch to make some “fall” blocks?

How about making them a little more 3-D?
Kind of adds some different texture to your autumn decor.

How?

Gather 4 wooden blocks and sand them down, ridding yourself of any splinters or sharp edges.

Then paint them with a matching color to the fabric you have chosen. Allow to dry completely.

Then cut out four pieces of fabric just a bit bigger than the actual blocks. Then apply a layer of Mod Podge directly to the blocks……
…..and then lay your piece of fabric on top. Press firmly and smooth out any wrinkles.

Then trim around your edges and then add another layer of Mod Podge on top. Make sure to use plenty…..and have it really soak in to the fabric, hardening it in place.

After it dries completely, lay some letters down (I printed some out on the computer) and trace around them with a pencil.
Then start applying decorative balls, sequins, seeds, itty bitty pinecones, or small objects of any kind to your blocks with hot glue. Try to stay inside your traced lines, to give smooth edges to your letters.

And that’s it.You’re all set to add another item to your decor.

I need to start giving this stuff away. I am ending up with too many autumn projects that I just have to try. :)

Comments

36 Responses to “Autumn “FALL” Blocks”
    The Rowburys says:

LOVE THEM!!! You are so creative that it kinda makes me sick…. ;)

Mom's Place says:

So Easy! I bet I could show this to hubby and have him convinced to let me save all the 2×4's in the bathroom I am remoding!

Shana says:

love it! i'm dying to try my hand at blocks or stackers…..I'm stumped on the letters though…what to use (vinyl, scrapbook paper, etc) and where to get vinyl pre-cut

PHARES CAUSEY says:

It's like you are giving me the exact ideas I want! I so want to try this! I don't think I could find exactly what you used for those little balls, but I love them. Did you just find them off of a stem and pull them off? Thats what they look like but would love to find them! What else could I have the blocks say? hmmmm….

Crafts and Deals says:

I love that they are different than most blocks around! SO CUTE!

michelle@somedaycrafts says:

These are gorgeous. I am going to copy your idea for my mantle. I know where to get some of those berries!!! I am featuring this on somedaycrafts.blogspot.com

thedoodlegirl says:

Wow! Too fun! You are so clever. :)

Kendra @ Domestic Princess in Training says:

These are great!! I need a set to go above my kitchen cabinets…..I just may do this!
    Thanks for sharing :0)

Kendra @ Domestic Princess in Training says:

Hey,
    Sorry I got to ask something in my last post. How did you get your little doodads to stick? Did you place put them on after you put your 2nd coat?

Vanessa says:

Love it! Gonna try it!!!

Lynette says:

Such a cute idea. Love the 3Dness to it!

Lynn from For Love or Funny says:

I can see adapting this project to any season. Great idea!

Embellished Bayou says:

What a great project! These would be great for any kind of phrase, I'll have to make some soon, thanks for sharing!

Lisa says:

I love this idea. I went out earlier and was looking at my blocks but we have so much rain right now even they got wet under the carport. Maybe they'll dry out in time for Christmas.

Andrea and Casey says:

This is great! Love the little berry things. Where did you find those?

Mod Podge Amy says:

Love it Ashley!! I must feature :D

Marie says:

Hi!
    I found your blog yesterday, and I LOVE it! :) I've been on here for ages now,looking through almost all of your tutorials, and can't wait to have a go! It seems like I need to get some Mod Podge, but my local craft store haven't got it, and they had no idea what I was talking about… I'll find some online instead!
    Thanks!
    (And I added your button to my blog! My first one..)

Mandi Shandi says:

Love them. The extra dimension makes them even cuter. Way to think outside the box!

Tanya and Colin says:

LOVE IT!!!

Nancy Jacobs Basketmaster says:

I love this idea! Thank you.
    Nancy

Shannon Rodriguez says:

Maybe a dumb question, but how are you makeing your letters to trace? Are you using word, because I can never get mine big enough or fat enough to print out so I can cut them out. Any suggestions?

Jill says:

So. Cute. Love it! I can't wait to try it~ I want to make them for Fall and Christmas! Thanks for the great idea :)

Kathy says:

What an adorable idea!!!! Sounds like it's pretty cheap to make too. Love your ideas so much!!! Keep up using that super creative mind of yours!!!!!

Michelle says:

so cute! i have blocks that i bought to modge podge photos onto but maybe i can use them for this first! great tut! thanks Ashley!

Just to answer some of your questions, I got the blocks from a friend who cut me some a couple of years ago and I never used them. But I know you can find blocks at craft stores. Also, I found the beads at a local craft store. They are actually little styrofoam balls that were displayed as putting them in those tall cylinder glass vase things. These little styrofoam balls were only $3 for a tall container of them. But someone mentioned pulling those little beads or buds off of vines that come in the stores….that would work too!! I think anything that has some sort of 3D shape to it, would be fun!

Hope that helps!

Oh sorry, one more question to answer. I used word to create the letters to trace. I just found a block letter font and then bolded it to make it even bigger. Then I printed it out in a light grey color as to not waste too much ink. Hope that helps you Shannon!

Andrea says:

Very cute! I love this, and it's something my kids could help with! :) Thanks!

Firenze says:

WOW! Thanks for such incredible inspiration! I'll have to try these with a variety of themes.
    Helen
    Firenze Cards

I featured this on my Pinterest favorites today, and I’m wanting to make my own this weekend. Do you think scrapbook paper would work in lieu of the fabric? Also do you use regular Mod Podge when working with fabric, or the Mod Podge made for fabric?

Yes, paper would work fine……and regular mod podge is what I use for everything. I know they have different types but I was too cheap to buy the different versions and the original has worked well for me on everything. Good luck!

Emerencia says:

I love this idea. Thank you!Emerencia from Romania.

janessa says:

so creative cant wait till i have time 2 work on it so many ideas on make it love it i dont know where 2 start

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. [...] and scrapbook paper. I think the kids could easily help with this one, too.{source: ShelterPop}10. Fall blocks – This is another fun idea that can be adapted throughout the year for other themes, too. [...]

2. […] This is a fun idea that I definitely plan to try. You could also make happy birthday or merry Christmas blocks. The Fall Blocks come from Make it and Love it. http://www.makeit-loveit.com/2009/10/autumn-blocks.html […]