Electronics Cozy

My husband is taking a trip to Georgia for a grad school interview in a week (shout out to all you Georgians!!) and realized that he needed a GPS. After bringing home his new toy, he asked if I could make some sort of protector/cover/sleeve for it. I told him yes, as long as I could use some darling-cutesy fabric rather than some boring masculine stuff. He agreed and muttered that he would just be shoving it in the glove box anyway…

He’s a good sport.

But just think of all those electronics that need some protection. Just slip your GPS/PDA/cell phone/etc. into a nice little cozy. Yeah, with all of that super soft minky lining…..your electronic will love you.

So necessary, right?

Okay……….and darn cute.

Would you like to make one too?

You’ll need:

• scraps of cotton fabric
  • scraps of minky fabric
  • velcro
  • sewing machine, scissors, thread, etc.

: : : Click on images to enlarge them. : : :

(By the way, the construction of this is exactly like the diaper case found here. If those directions were confusing, I demonstrated the process here a little differently but it’s made the same way.)

Cut out a front and a back piece out of the cotton and the minky. Measure how big you’ll need your front and back piece and then add a 1/4 inch to all sides for a seam allowance. Make the back piece about 2 inches longer so that it can flap over the front piece to close. I made my front piece 4.5 x 5.5 inches and my back piece 4.5 x 7.5 inches. So if you’re making a cozy for your Garmin GPS (standard…not widescreen), these dimensions should work great.

Then sew your front and back pieces together with right sides together, lining up the bottom edges. (1/4 inch seam allowance.) Do this with the cotton material and then the minky……..separately.

Then clip the bottom corners off of both the cotton and the minky.

Then, turn the minky right side out and slide into your cotton…which is still inside out.

Line up the upper edge and pin into place.

Sew all along the sides and top of the flap and about a half inch along the front. (click on the picture to see it bigger.)

Clip the upper corners.

And then clip at the corner where the back and front sections meet. Make sure to not clip through any of your seams.

Then sew around everything again with a zig-zag, just to reinforce it.

And now turn everything right side out through the section you left open along the front. Poke out the corners and line everything up. Tuck the raw edges of the opening inside

Then sew along the entire opening…….along the flap and the front. This will keep everything in place.

And lastly, attach some velcro.

Then slide in your GPS/PDA/cell phone/etc.

Nice and cozy.

Enjoy your weekend.

Filed under Accessory, Gift Ideas, Miscellaneous, Sewing

Comments

46 Responses to “Electronics Cozy”
    simplymodernmom says:

How fun. What school is your husband interviewing for? I grew up in Georgia.

The Hardy Things in Life says:

Love it!! Totally Manly!!

Rachel H. says:

oKAY LADY–cute. Cute. :)

Now, when is he coming to Ohio for an interview???

Kari @ Ucreate says:

I LOVE Georgia! My husbands family is from Savannah, GA. Anyways, I love this cozy, can't wait to make one!

Carrie says:

Great Idea and VERY CUTE!!

Have you ever sewed with the minky fabric and satin?? I have had some fabric I have been wanting to use to make a baby blanket forever but I am nervous about using those fabrics together….any tips???

Thanks!

SportsMadGirl says:

This is super cute! I just might have to try this out for myself.

Hope your husband has a safe trip to our wonderful state! Where in GA is he headed?

FYI: The traffic in Metro Atlanta is AWFUL!!

Maples Family!! says:

That is so cute, i will try one for my ipod!!

Wallace family says:

CUTE, CUTE, CUTE!!! I love this! I just purchased a Garmin and I'm going to make myself a cozy for it-what a great idea!!!

just the two of us! says:

i love it! that's so adorable! i'm dying for a sewing machine to make fun stuff like this!

Rachel and Danny says:

yay for Georgia! That's my home :) You guys will love it if you go there :)

winnie says:

Very cute idea! You will for sure need a GPS for GA! My husband has been in grad school the past 6 years and just graduated from Tech. Its a great place (though crazy roads) and you will love it if you decide to come here!

lottebees says:

I really wrecked the case for our GPS. So wonderfull idea for a little project in my first week of my kid being in school again.

Punkcountrygal says:

Quick question. Did you sew this entirely on your sewing machine? If so how did you?

Lois Grebowski says:

Just don't do what my hubby did. His GPS unit fell behind the seat and he ran over it adjusting the seat.

:-(

not fun…

jodi says:

Steve is such a good sport! You've got a good hubby. Very cute (and practical) cozy.

Rose says:

I made one of these and blogged about it, but I added a needlepunch batting and quilted it after, you can see it here if you like!
    The way you did yours makes it finished nicer, as there are no ugly seams on the inside, like the way I did mine! I'll try it your way next time!! lol

Gigi says:

Love it…great job. I made a GPS holder and camera case, and water bottle holder when we went to visit family in Florida in July. Yeah, should have waited till January when it's cold here; but had no choice.
    Anyways, I padded mine with insulbrite because I was worried about keeping them in the car in the heat. Also used a piece of ultrasuede from a thrift shop purchase to line it. They all worked great, except that I wish I had either made it bigger, or attached a pocket for the GPS cord and plug. Did you have room for a plug???

Christie says:

Hey Ashley, I think you have got such cute, creative and inspirational ideas, I "splashed" your blog with an award. You can check it out on my blog at http://kingbrayden.blogspot.com/2009/09/look-what-i-got.html

Northern NY Mom says:

best cozy I have seen so far. Pattern is like the one I use… but to add minky…whodathunkit? I use felt. Gonna convert to minky…the ipod deserves it, yeah? Thanks for another hit!

Pececito arcoiris says:

Incredible! Lovable!!!

Jamie and Tom says:

Oh my… this is perfect! Our GPS has been using an old sock for the cover. I think it will love us much more if I make one of these for its new home!

Debbie says:

Oh this is fantastic and so timely for me! I have a G1 phone and use the music on it when I walk. I'm going to make your "Cozy" and attach and arm band to it so I an rock out while gettin' some exercise!
    Thanks!

Kim says:

What a great idea! I always wrap our gps in a towel or something soft so that it doesn't get scratched up when we go on a trip.
    I wanted to thank you for all of the super-great crafting tips and ideas! I have made several of your projects and referenced your blog. I feel like I can try anything (craft-wise) now – thanks for the inspiration!

Genevieve says:

love this idea! after seeing this last night, i quickly made one up for myself for my ipod touch… now i can stop using my hubby's sock! thank you so much for sharing your awesome blog. i love all of your projects!!

[email protected] says:

Perfect! I'll have to make one for my iphone. I'll be linking as well.

TracyKM says:

This would also work for my tuner; I need some sort of pouch to protect it in my music bag as the box it came in wore out due to moisture from the water bottle…

Natalie says:

I recently found your blog and I love it! You have so many great ideas. I followed your tutorial and made one of my own (with a couple of variations). Thanks!

Steph says:

I absolutely lovvvve this and all of your wonderful projects i'm going to try this and the diaper case for my little guy on the way! I was also wanting to make him a lovie using minky on on side…any suggestions for the sewing? I've heard it's not the easiest stuff to work with if you have any plllleasse email me
    [email protected] i would love some insight so i can make it perfect :)

Marriah says:

I just purchased a sewing machine because you have inspired me to make simple everyday usable crafts — & this one is a huge hit with my husband! I made one for my car & then he actually went to the fabric store with me to choose what he wanted his to look like!
    Thanks so much!!!

K13 says:

Hooray! I've been looking for a tutorial on something like this FOREVER. So glad I found yours (via Tumblr) by the way. Thank you!!

Kim says:

This is probably a really stupid question, but I am pretty new to sewing, how do you sew the velcro on at the end with out sewing it shut? Thanks.

Kim, nope not stupid at all. You'll have to slide just that layer under the needle with the velcro. You'll have to push the bottom layer out of the way…..so be sure to pin your velcro, so that it stays in the right spot while you're shoving half out of the way. Go on and give it a try….you'll get better and better at this.

ken z says:

God ! So cool ! I'll have to make one for my iphone. I'll be linking as well.
    wholesale electronics

CurlyCraze says:

Love it! I just used this tutorial to make a case for my digital camera. It has been living in a sock for years, so this is a nice upgrade! Since the camera is about an inch deep, I boxed off the corners on the bottom of the bag for a nicer fit :)

Brian, Jami, Paige, Austin and Bryn says:

My husband just bought a new laptop computer and asked if I could make a sleeve for it. Thanks to your tutorial, I was able to make one!! It turned out great! Thanks for sharing your creativity!!

Nicole Ferguson says:

Thank you for the cute project…and great directions! I just got a sewing machine for Christmas and am having a blast making fun little things. I am almost finished making one of these for my friend's phone but I'm having a tough time with it since it is soo small (my beginning fabric was only 3 1/2 inches wide) Thank you again for some great inspiration!!

Gina says:

Thank you again for this tutorial. I posted a pic on your FB page and and added your link and pics to my FB page and my blog. http://laideebugz.blogspot.com/

Just made this and it came out awesome! Good directions and great pictures! They really helped.

Sara says:

Hey, your tute didn’t work so well for me. When sewing it together, you say to sew a quarter inch on the sides before flipping. It didn’t sit very well at all once flipped. Any ideas for fixing this?

Rebecca Graham says:

what is minky? I haven’t heard of this fabric before.

Stef says:

I love this cozy and the tutorial is fantastic and easy to follow! I just started sewing again after a 8-year-break. I have made a really cute cozy for my kindle which is far better than the one I bought on amazon, and I modified it a bit by leaving out the flap and made a cozy for my phone, too. Just want to say thank you :-) Stef xx

Mary says:

I just made one!! It’s too cute! I’ve spent so much time researcing how to make one & your’s was by far the easiest to understand (I’m familiar with a few sewing basics but that’s about it). THANK YOU!!!

Cute!….but I be sewn Velcro before & it breaks my thread..

Patti V says:

This is perfect for my GPS, and I’ll make one for my phone too.