Catch-All Laminated Bib

We have a problem in our household. Our little guy loves to eat and while doing so…..he makes a mess. The tray of highchair is useless, really. Everything ends up wedged between his belly and the tray…….or along his sides. I have seen those bibs at the store that are made out of rubber to catch all of the food and debris while kids eat……but I can’t make a rubber form myself. So I resorted to this Catch-All Laminated Bib.

And thank goodness it works well.

The bottom snaps up in place to create a catch-all for extra food and mess. And then un-snaps so that you can wipe clean. Love it.

: : : Click on images to enlarge. : : :

You’ll Need:

• upholstery fabric or other sturdy fabric
  • iron-on vinyl (click here to find some online.)
  • velcro
  • embellishment
  • fusible web

First, find an old bib to pattern after. Lay it on top of some paper and trace around it. Then add about 5 inches in length. I actually made my bib wider too so that it would have more coverage.

Then either add another 1/4 inch for your seam allowance and then cut it out.

Cut two pieces of your thick upholstery fabric.

Then cut out any sort of shape or letter. Cut some fusible web the same size and place it behind the shape/letter and iron it onto one of your bib pieces.

Cut two pieces of iron-on vinyl, the same size as your 2 bib pieces. Follow the directions on the packaging and apply to the front of your bib pieces. This stuff is great. It will make your bib waterproof and will stiffen up the fabric even more.

Then place your two pieces right sides together and sew all the way around the 2 pieces…..leaving a gap along the bottom of the bib. (Use a 1/4 inch seam allowance.)

Clip the corners and make slits along the curves. This will help the bib fabric lay nicely after it is turned right side out.

Now turn the bib right side out, poking out the corners and smoothing out the curves of your bib. (It will look really wrinkly/messy……but we’ll fix that next.)

Then tuck the opening along the bottom, towards the inside. Iron the entire thing flat, making sure to place some of the vinyl backing back over the vinyl…….otherwise it will melt to your iron.

Then sew along the entire outer edge and attach some velcro to the neck ends.

Now you’ll put some snaps in the bottom two corners of the bib. (click on the image to see it larger.)

Then fold the bottom up to about where you’d like it to create the catch-all.

Then put the corresponding snap ends on the back side of the bib, level to where the snaps on the bottom corners will meet them.

See how you fold the bottom of the bib around to the back to create a bubbled-out opening for your catch-all? Make sure you are attaching your snaps correctly, to make this happen.

Now hurry and make your own……..I know there’s a toddler around you making some sort of mess.

Filed under Baby, Sewing

Comments

46 Responses to “Catch-All Laminated Bib”
    Lora says:

Love this project! I'm making one tonight for my little ladybug. Great idea as always!

imajacobs says:

I love it! I add snaps instead of velcro to the neck of my bibs. That way, the kid can't yank them off mid-meal.

Very cute! Now I have to go make one for my little one. Do you have anything that will keep her from throwing the food pieces that the bib catches?! ;)
    Thank you!!

- Sarah :-) says:

OH EM GEE!! This is amazing! It will totally complete the litle baby set that I'm making. I LOVE it! Where do you come UP with this stuff? I didn't even know they MADE that kind of vinyl stuff. This is crazy! I can't WAIT to make it and post the entire baby set that I'm making for a friend. You're the best!

LustigLinda says:

This is great! I have to try this model.

LustigLinda says:

forgot to say that i have linked to this page on my blog, if you don't wish me to, please say so.

Kari @ Ucreate says:

Sooo darling and soooo useful!! I need these!

the Rowleys says:

I love these bibs, they are the only ones I use. Thanks so much for the tutorial!

Genevieve says:

i love this idea!! madilyn is SOOOOOO messy when she eats- love it!

jodi says:

I like the corners of the pouch. That is very clever to attach behind the bib and force the pouch outward. Cool.

Tj and Amy says:

so adorable what a great idea.

Sarah says:

Adorable. Another great do-able idea. Thank you!

Aubree @ The Weathered Cottage says:

Ahhh! THANK. YOU. I just bought 2 of these at Wally's for $5 each! Now I can make my own as I can testify they are a life saver!!

Mary says:

I have been looking for a good bib pattern, Thanks! I love you blog.

Pugmire family says:

This is awesome! I cant wait to try it! You are so creative.

Nori says:

SOOOOOOO cute!!! Great tutorial! I don't have a little one, but I'm thinking of a friend that has one on the way. I'm thinkin…. baby gift! Thanks for sharing.

We are the Zitzmans says:

So cute. I will have to make them with me wee one almost ready to eat food.

Darin and Carolyn says:

Love it! I have that same problem every single time she eats! Maybe I will get my mother in law to make one for me, I am not a sewer at all.

The Noalls says:

About how much cheaper would you say it is to do it this way than to get a store-bought one?

That's a good question asked by "The Noalls"…….and my only expense was the vinyl. But I actually already had it from another project. And you can make several things out of one roll of the fusible vinyl. The fabric can be used from scraps and snaps are pretty cheap. If you have to go out and buy ALL of the materials, it would be much cheaper (and faster) to just buy one. Hope that helps!

Lisa says:

Just wanted to say I just found your site recently and love it! I have looked at most of your tutorials and think you have great ideas. Can't wait for your little boy to grow up so you have older boy ideas–I'm always making stuff for my girls but my 7 and 10 year old boys are a little more difficult!

keepthejuicesflowing says:

They used to sell these everywhere but I haven't seen them FOREVER. These need a comeback.

Catherine and Derrick says:

That is so cute. i love how creative you are. I know this may be a little soon but do you have any fun fall/ Halloween ideas?

The Kradolfers says:

i was just noticing that your stairs look a lot like my stairs and I live in southeast idaho. i wonder if we are neighbors. LOVE your site! Thanks for all the great tutorials!

Dalling Family says:

Genious! I never knew there was such a thing as Iron on vinyl! That reminds me about the question I asked you about sewing vinyl for a project…but I can't remember what we were talking about! LOL – do you? OOOH you could make fun little kiddo place mats with this too!

Crafts and Deals says:

This is sooo cute!! I will add it to my "to do" list! Thanks for sharing!!

Deb says:

I love it!!! This is such a great project and essential for little people :)

Scott & Kristie says:

I love that green fabric. Where did you get it?

Scott & Kristie says:

I love that green fabric, were did you get it?

The Stevie Times says:

Question – Did you sew your snaps on? Or do you have a tool that gets it on?

I just bought a snap kit like this one, but at Walmart.

It's pretty cheap and you use a hammer with it. I know there are better things out there but I've tried some and they never work as well for me as the little tool that comes in the set I mentioned above.

Hope that helps!

"r-creations" says:

This is the bEsT idea ever!!! I am so excited to make this. Its 3 am and i cant wait til the craft store opens to pick out fabric. I lOvE your blog. I'm telling ALL my friends. YOu are so amazing and creative, this is such a service you are doing for all us mothers out here. THANK YOU…. I can't wait for whats next
    Love Rachael

Liz says:

I have been drooling over this idea ever since I saw it and I FINALLY got a chance to make it. Check it out and let me know what you think (don't look too close).

Thanks for sharing such cute ideas!

Brandy says:

Thanks for such a great Tutorial.
    Check out my project: http://spottedsmiles.blogspot.com/2010/02/messes-therefore-bibs.html

..::Arte.Sana::.. says:

hola
    me encanta tu blog
    espero me sigas como yo te sigo a ti
    tambien quiero compartir ideas

saludos

Arte.Sana

Deb says:

What a great idea – just curious, how do these launder? Has anyone tried putting one in the dryer?

sandy says:

I love this, especially using the iron vinyl, never tried it, but it makes any fabric suitable! Would you please post on my Reap What You Sew Sundays linky party? I love featuring clever ideas like yours! stop on by later today, I’ll have this week’s up by then!

Sandy

Nechama says:

Have you tried using magnets to close the bib?

Jocelyn says:

Just found your site, LOVE it! :) You could probably use an old vinyl/plastic table cloth rather than the iron on stuff. I’ll have to try it out. Thanks so much for the tutorial!

harrysdesk says:

Hi Ashley,
    What a great and simple idea!
    Thanks for writing up the tutorial.
    I have featured it…along with some other gifts for babies here….
    ….if you would like to take a look.
    Thanks again for a super cute idea.
    Ally on harrysdesk.

I do like the idea of snaps on the catch-all bottom. It would totally clean the caught food out a lot easier,via unsnapping to wash or rinse off. I raised 5 kids yet lost two, so i can relate to simpler way of cleaning a babies bib etc. plus the hurry-squiry of todays life style,it helps.. My raising five kids from seven was a real organized chore.
    Now years ago I had a baby layette set. I loaned it to a co worker she never returned it. The pattern contained a bib,burping cloth,infant night gown that snapped I believe about the slited down the front part way and at the neck.yet the bottom had a draw string enclosing the feet within the gown. Is there a pattern around any more of a BABY LAYETTE?Thanks …claudine bigelow