Autumn Wreath

Do you have a real urge to bust out the autumn decor?

Go on……let it out.

And this one will not break the bank.

And then hang it anywhere around the house or on your front door.

This is all you’ll need:

• Any size wreath
  • 1-2 packages of single leaves – autumn colored (I found these at the dollar store)
  • 1 roll of wide ribbon – wired edged (I found this at the dollar store too)
  • 1 wooden wall hanging – autumn themed (optional….and I forgot to put it in the picture)
  • floral wire – thin

: : : Click on images to enlarge. : : :

Start by cutting a long piece of your wire (I started with about 8 feet). Then poke one end of the wire into the base of a leaf.

Then twist the wire together to keep the leaf in place on the wire.

Then, to speed up the process, poke the wire through a bunch of the leaves at one time.

And then start twisting the leaves in place about 1-2 inches apart.

Keep adding leaves until you reach the end of your wire. Test out the length of your string of leaves by wrapping it around your wreath. If you need more, twist another few feet of wire to the end of your string of leaves and continue adding more leaves. Once you have enough wrapped around your wreath, twist the two wire ends of your string of leaves together.

Then, attach some wire to the back of your plaque and attach it securely to the wreath.

Now, onto the bow.

You may have your own technique…..but here’s what I did. I just began with one end of the ribbon and made a small loop for the center and then made two bigger loops on either side of the center one. (just keep holding the ribbon in place with one hand and make the loops with the other hand.)

Then make one more loop on either side of the center. Remember, no need for perfection….and you’ll see why in a moment.

Then, pinch the center together and wrap some wire through the center loop and then down and around to the bottom. Twist together tightly. Then add a long piece for the tails. Secure that with more wire.

Then rearrange all of the loops to make the bow more symmetrical and then squash them and rough them up a bit. We’re making this look more rugged as we go.

Then attach the bow to the wreath, at like 2 0′clock……if the wreath was a clock.

And ahhhh…….it’s harvest/autumn/fall time.

So excited.

Comments

26 Responses to “Autumn Wreath”
    Shanda says:

Thanks for sharing this! I love it and have been wanting to make an autumn wreath anyway. Plus this is an idea I can take to make other seasonal wreaths as well.

EMPRESÁRIA DE SUCESSO says:

Beautiful!

Carol B says:

well done!
    …only it's Spring where I live.
    :-)

Allison and Mason: says:

Oh this is perfect!! I have been wanting a wreath and now I can just make one! Thank you so much for this. I love your site.

Jess and Jen says:

I just bought that same ribbon and those same leaves from the dollar store. I had another project in mind, but I have a plain wreath, so I just might have to make this instead!

Sarah says:

This is the perfect project to jump start my fall decor! Thanks and God's blessings, Sarah :D

Emily B says:

Great idea! I've been thinking about a wreath for fall, but balking at the $40 price tags I've seen. Why didn't it occur to me to make one?! lol. Thanks for the nudge in the right direction!

my-cup-of-milktea says:

Wow! Its really look easy . Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful ideal..I only hope I can this items somewhere around my place..^-^

Grace @ One Craft Girl's Corner says:

So nice! I love fall!

Sarah says:

Thanks! I love it! I have been wanting a new fall wreath for my front door and this is it!

Jared and Delia says:

Very cute. I would have just glued the leaves on but wiring them looks so much better! Worth the extra effort.

Kim at Polka Dot Thought says:

Too funny! I just went to Michael's today to make one..but didn't have time when I got home (busy redesigning a friends blog for her). Soon though, soon! And yours came out soo nice!

Wondercat says:

*wow* Great Autumn-Wreath. I love it. Thank you for the tutorial.
    Nicole

Megan says:

Very cute! I just made one and it was so easy and looks cute!

Whatever Dee-Dee wants says:

Darling!

Claire says:

Pretty!

Giles Fam says:

Ok, I think you may be the first person/thing to really get me excited for Fall. :) I've been fighting the colder weather. Congratulations—I totally want to do this project! :)

Lindsay says:

beautiful! Where did you find your plaque? The only ones I can find are Halloween-y. Thanks for the idea!

Jenny says:

I made this wreath tonight and it turned out SUPER CUTE! It took me forever though. I was thrilled to find cheap items at my dollar store too! (minus the cute autumn board). I put some fall "picks" in mine and I really like it. Thanks for such a GREAT idea!!

Lolly Jane says:

love this!

i have some cute pumkins and a similar font in vinyl lettering if you're interested :)

Lindsay says:

I made this tonight and it turned out great! Thank you for the tutorial! Instead of buying the plaque (which are like $15-$20 each!), I made one that just says "Welcome" and painted it.

Shannon says:

Love this wreath! You have some amazing ideas. I featured you on my blog today. http://www.lovingcouponsandmore.blogspot.com

Hi! I featured your wreath and a few others on my post today. Thought you might like to see what I did. =D http://holidaygiftsandmore.blogspot.com/2011/10/autumn-wreath-inspiration.html

~ Tina

Alyson says:

This is absolutely gorgeous and I cant wait to make it, and a few variations of it. Can you tell me how you secure the wooden plaque though. Did you just wrap the wire around the wreath? Thank you x

Christina says:

Love this! I’m on a very tight budget and have been wanting to make an autumn wreath. Thank you for sharing something I can afford to make! ;)

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. [...] some signage to your fall wreath for a wonderful welcome! Make It and Love It designed this gorgeous Autumn Greetings wreath that won’t break the bank. All items are [...]