Wee Wee Wigwam

Okay…….so I was trying real hard to come up with a different name for the Pee-Pee Teepee. (Have you seen them in stores?) I came up with Pee Pee Dome, Splatter Cone, Pee Pee Cone……..and then my husband chimed in with Wee Wee Wigwam.
(You should have seen the proud look on his face.)

Hey, it parallels the original name in so many ways.

Love it.

Have you seen these little things? If not, they are the perfect solution for those unruly diaper changes, when baby boys seek revenge on the person allowing cool air to hit their Nether Regions. Often times, they start spraying pee the minute that diaper comes off. Crazy how that happens.

Here’s the solution. Just plop one of these Wigwams on top while you’re wiping, situating, unfolding the diaper, etc. And if they soil it, just toss it in the washer for next time. Easy as that.

How to make a Wee Wee Wigwam?

First, trace around a circle object that is between 6-7 inches in diameter. This bowl is about 6.5 inches across and it worked great.

Then fold the circle exactly in half to use as a pattern.

Now, cut out a piece of cotton and a piece of matching fleece/flanel/something soft. (I used extremely soft fleece. I don’t know what type it is but it frays like crazy and almost feels like Minky.)

Then, with right sides together, sew your two half circles together along the curved side………………using a 1/4 inch seam allowance.

Then turn right side out and pin it flat, right along the seam.

Then sew the curve of your half circle flat, very close to the edge.

Then fold your half circle in half, with right sides together. Sew right along the raw edges, with another 1/4 inch seam allowance. Then sew another seam, using your zig-zag stitch. Trim any edges if necessary.

Then turn right side out and poke the tip out.

Then make a few more and use them or gift them to a friend.

Such a simple solution to a sketchy scenario.

Filed under Baby, Sewing

Comments

93 Responses to “Wee Wee Wigwam”
    The Paxton Family says:

I wish there was something out there for girls too. Because seriously my daughter turned into a fountain almost every time we took her diaper off for the first 6 months. We would open the diaper, then quickly put it back in place to stop from being peed on :-P
    The myth is not true, girls can pee on you too!

brittaney says:

You can always use this same thing. Just make a flat rectangle stick it under her butt and make long enough to flap over to her stomach. I don’t know my daughter has never peed while changing her ( knocks on wood) good luck ladies

Emilee says:

Okay, that is the funniest thing I have ever seen. Such a perfect solution!

Melanie says:

Okie dokie, your husband is hilarious. So like mine.

The Activity Mom says:

Cute! I love that you can just throw them in the wash machine! Once less thing to wash in the sink!

Wondercat says:

What a great idea. Thank you for the tutrial.
    Hugs
    Nicole

TexasMom says:

These are adorable. My once concern is that once you use it ,it cannot be used again
      ,even if it isn’t wet.If you use it and store it in your diaper bag,(even in a baggie etc) ,it will cross contaminate items in the bag. You would have to be able to use it,put it in the washer or a diaper pail ,NOT reuse. Cute idea for baby showers.But not every day use you’d need several and a way to dispose of the used one..

• 5.1.1
        Tatiana says:

Well odds are it wouldn’t get peed on every diaper change. Just get a small wet bag from planetwise to keep in the diaper bag. They’re so cheap and easy to make, it wouldn’t hurt to have a big stack on the changing table next to the laundry basket. I think it’s brilliant.

• 5.1.2
        Martinsmom99 says:

You could even use just a ziplock baggy to put the soiled teepees in until you get home. cotton and fleece are machine washable, and cheep enough to buy to create a dozen or more.

• 5.1.3
        alex says:

i dont think the idea is to have only one.. to have only one of these would be like having a single cloth diaper… only good until they’re wet. i dont have a boy, but i see why you seem so negative about the idea! its smart and they CAN be reused since a baby isnt going to pee every time the diaper comes off… throwing a few of these in with normal laundry, or diaper laundry if you used cloth, wouldnt at all be an issue.

• 5.1.4
        geminitrudy says:

Dear Texas Mom,

I don’t understand your concerns. This item is WASHABLE and REUSABLE. If you are away from a washing machine when your baby soils his wigwam, then store it in a ziplock bag until you get home. I don’t understand why you feel you can’t reuse it once it’s soiled. What do you plan to do when your son wets his bed? Throw away his pajamas, sheets, and mattress?

• 5.1.5
        Randi says:

I do not believe sitting the cone on the baby’s penis, if it isn’t peed on in the meantime, will contaminate it. Besides, urine is sterile, so it is highly unlikely that the baby will contaminate himself essentially. What about those of us who have wetbags with wet/soiled diapers in our diaperbags all the time?

• 5.1.6
        Jen says:

Wow, think you’re being slightly over the top! Babies do not need to live in a sterile crazy world. In face those that do are prevented from developing a healthy immune system and therefore are more likely to catch colds and infections. I’m guessing your baby is your first.

Shae Bailey says:

Just put the soiled ones in a disposable diaper bag just like you would a soiled cloth diaper.

LOL….I like your name better! Wigwam is such a great word….

Amy says:

Awesome – and thanks for the tutorial!

Just a helpful (maybe?) tidbit I wanted to add: since fleece is polyester and does not absorb wetness very well, you might want to consider lining the inside with those big thick cotton terrycloth fabrics instead. They look like a towel, or even carpet! Still very soft and easy to sew on. I'm thinking that might work EVEN better!

Shannon says:

I made a version of these but I used the material for the inside (shamwow) type and it was awesome you throw in the washer and lay flat to dry. I also made my Daughter in-law nursing pads with the same principal and they washed a million times before they wore out. I did use flanelette diaper material. Have fun and these are enviomently friendly too.

Craftify It! says:

Cute name :) Both yours and your hubby's!!

Allison the Meep says:

What a brilliant idea! I wish I had thought of this 5 years ago when my son peed on me at every diaper change.

lottebees says:

I had the luck to never have my little man pee on me, when he was little. He would only do that to other people. Briljant idea!

Renda says:

So creative ! I have 12 pregnant friends right now..I know …right?.. and I was looking for some unusual gifts for them. Not something that everyone else will get them at the million showers I have to attend. THIS IS PERFECT for those expecting boys.

Bless you !

Morgan says:

That's pretty funny! Does it actually stay on during diaper changes, or does it roll off?

Kelsee says:

I made a whole bunch of these and they ended up being more like rockets than anything! But my daughter uses them as hats for her dolls now. Lol They were washed, don't worry! -Kelsee

Kari @ Ucreate says:

No way!!! This is sooooo hilarious!

Wendy says:

I have a girl this time, so I dont have to worry about it anymore… but what a cute name!

Kristin Rasmussen says:

Pure genius!

Kim says:

Oh my goodness, this is a precious idea! I will have to share with my friends for sure! Thanks for being inspiring!

montague says:

I am not trying to be rude, but I think if you are telling people not to sell ideas you come up with you shouldn't sell ideas someone else has come up with. I think you are a talented person, but I think that is not being fair.

montague says:

I think you are an extremely talented person, and I love your creativity, but I think if you are going to tell people they can't sell ideas you come up with, then you shouldn't be selling an idea that someone else came up with, even if you rename it.

Montague – Wow, I'm sorry if it seems as if I'm being hypocritical. I think you may have misunderstood where I stand on readers using my ideas. I only ask that my tutorials are not used to copy and then sold as their own products. When someone figures something out and creates it all on their own, I am completely supportive of that. In fact, I love it! However, with regards to the pee pee teepee……. I have seen these around everywhere, figured out how to make them, designed my own pattern, and then shared it with everyone. Then I just placed my extras in my etsy shop in case someone didn't have time to make any or didn't know how to sew. They are not going to be a continued item in my shop. I just thought it would be a great way to earn money back for the supplies that I used to make them, if anyone was interested. (The tutorials are free but they still cost me money to make them.)

I view this situation the same as figuring out how to make, for example, a nursing cover and then selling it. I don't know who the first person was to create them, but hundreds of people have figured them out and now sell them. And I think that's great. I didn't buy a pattern from anyone or use a tutorial of someone else's to then sell the Wigwam's. I figured it out on my own, and came up with my own way to make them. I even added my own little soft touch on the inside. I'm not sure I've seen the two tone anywhere else. And I have no idea how the originals are really made.

I seriously apologize if this post and this situation offended you in any way. Thanks for sharing your thoughts though, and if you have any more comments or if you have questions/comments about anything else at all, feel free to email me any time at [email protected]

Thanks!

Marquita says:

Funny! not only the name but also the …whatever you call it :-D

The Germaine's says:

Haha so love that you have these on here. We sell them at our store and they fly. So cute! Love your materials. Where do you get them?

Anisa says:

I could have use those for my first two boys, but my 3rd only peed all over the place twice… his last diaper change at the hospital and his first doctor appt. Maybe I should make some to donate to his pediatrician.

Check out my craft blog.

It's Sew Stinkin Cute says:

I will have to keep this in mind if I have any friends having boys. Great tut!

Kate says:

Hi,
    Just seeing your site for the first time!

I think I have officially seen it all. A Wee Wee Wigwam. Genius.

Great site!

montague says:

Thank you for taking the time to clarify. I realize my comment probably sounded worse than I meant it. I think you are very talented and I love your blog.

Gallant Family says:

I made some of these when I had my boy almost two years ago and they were brilliantly handy, although I think your husband's new name for them is even more brilliant. I will have to use it! I like the suggestion for adding the terry cloth inside for better absorption. I used flannel and it worked well enough to not put the mess on me!

PinkPickles says:

Cute! I recently heard someone call these "weenie beanies." ;)

: ) Paula says:

Okay, whatever you name it, this triangle thingamajig is absolutely the kookiest thing I've seen. Do people really use these? My tone is more astonished than rude, honsetly. But this generation of young mommies have a few too many accessories in my mind. If I worried about my boys whizzing on me I'd just try to change them faster. I had a friend who'd rest the clean diaper on her son's doodle while she wiped and I thought she was being overly cautious. I guess I think moms should be able to take a little tinkling without needing another baby accessory. That said, you're a very talented seamstres. I linked here from your sister's frugal is fabulous website. Cute t-shirt and yummy cake give-away. And mod podge is my favorite, I'd totally make me some of those shoes if I had time.

[email protected] says:

Mwa-ha-ha! Best name ever! Leave it to a guy to come up with that, I love it! I'll be linking.

denise says:

I am so making this for the shower I am having on Sunday for my SIL, who is expecting her first boy. It will be a hilarious pacakage topper for the gift!

june at noon says:

I can happily say my son never pees during diaper changes. (And now that I've said that, I'm probably in for a soaking.) He's peed on my MIL once and on his own head once, and that's it. I have heard that some boys manage to shoot these things across the room, rendering them useless though entertaining. ;) (And yes, maybe we have lots of unnecessary accessories these days, but who's it hurting?)

LivingInspired says:

Thank you sooo much for this awesome tutorial. I just got a sewing machine a month ago and these were great practice with your simple tutorial. Check out how they came out on my blog! Thanks again for taking the time to make this tutorial!

Angie @ tomandangie.blogspot.com says:

Just found your site via thriftydecorchick. i am due to have my second boy in less than a month and realizing now that I have forgotten A LOT of what i will be dealing with when he arrives!!

this post ALMOST convinced me to get my sewing machine repaired so that i could make this little tee-pee… and then i realized that maybe I should just buy some extra wash cloths- throw one of those over the little guy and problem solved- no rocket action, either!

i will, however, keep scouring your great site for ideas and i have a feeling you may eventually convince me to repair the machine!

angie

Kristin says:

Thank you so much for this great tutorial. I am so excited to make some tonight for my little guy on the way…!!

tinger says:

Thanks for the tut! I made some and they came out really cute (not as cute as yours, but I can still work on them ;-)

Here is a link to the Wigwams I made:

Meredith says:

I made some of these this week for a doctor I work with that just had a little boy. They turned out so cute! Thanks for the tutorial!

Val says:

Hi Ashley – I love your site and you are such an inspiration. Being English I had never heard or seen anything like this little creation ….. I thought it was a game for little ones! You know, you can stack them, whack them, wash them, chew them, and hide things under them …. that was what I thought they were …. so I made a set of six with six matching little balls to hide under for a memory game for my little grandson! How typically British!!! But I do like my little wigwam game. :0) Thankyou,
    Val

Val says:

Val

Val, that is HILARIOUS. I guess I should have fully defined what these are used for. But perfect…..you came up with a brilliant use for them. Haha!!

Val says:

Hi Ashley, I am glad you like my Hilarious baby game! I don't mind if you add it to your tutorial as something to use the wigwam for AFTER the nappy stage!!!! :0) He He!! Please stop by my blog sometime – I am an "oldie" but yet a "baby" blogger it is http://blog.bellabag.co.uk
    Thanks again – have a good day,
    Val

Kim @ seven thirty three says:

Thank you for such an easy to follow tut! I made a set of these in under an hour, so quick! I will be featuring this post along with my finished product this Friday on my blog.

733blog.blogspot.com

A.Rhodes says:

So cute, have a few friends that are expecting…hopefully they are having boys so I can make this!

Melissa says:

I tried to make this, and mine turned out to look like some weird elf hat looking thing! lol
    Any tips on why it turned out that way?

Chelsia's Mommy says:

Any tips on why it turned out that way?

Emily says:

Hi, so I had a bunch of my childrens little, soft wash clothes sitting in the closet (they have out grown them) so when I saw this, I though to myself, what a perfect material! Come to find out, one wash cloth will make one wee wee wigwam! They turned out great and are very absorbent! I have 2 pregnant friends that I'm going to make these for! Thanks for the tut, without you I would have never known what to do with those wash cloths!

Laura says:

Hey-what about putting a ribbon loop on the top so ya don't have to touch the pee pee??

Allison says:

I just made these for a friend who is expecting a son this fall, and our little boy who is on his way. :) They were so easy to make and turned out really great! I had some soft fleece left over from another project and found some cute fish fabric and another with fire trucks/cars/airplanes. Thank you so much for sharing your projects with us! I love your blog and check it regularly. May God continue to bless you and your family!

Beverley says:

I am going to try and make these Wee Wigwams. Just one silly question. When you cut out the material pattern, is it a single layer material for the half circle pattern, or do you cut out the full circle pattern and fold it in half.
    Many thanks Love your Wee Wigwams.

edie says:

I look at these and my thoughts go to how cute they would be as a pin cushion (no not when being used! ack)

I don’t have any babies, never had any, have done plenty of babysitting but never got peed on… so that being said… my thoughts go towards what else could be done with these… I picture it stuffed with a bottom sewn on… a pin cushion wigwam (or teepee)

dani says:

super cute. I kept hearing about the peepeeteepee but had no idea what it was and couldn’t picture it. Like the english lady I thought this was a toy of some sort now I think I might need to make some they are amazing and I agree the wigwam name is even better. I am expecting my forth and find myself hoping it is a boy so I can make some of these. My first son never got me but he did manage to get most everyone else to include once he got the ceiling above his changing table which happened to be in the closet so I had to rewash all the baby clothes but he and I didn’t need showers. Ironically my two girls were more prone to spray.

zuzana says:

These are cute, but there is a reason babies pee when you take off their diaper. They are at birth natually able to tell when they need to pee, but adults do not let them. Next time you change a diaper, try holding your baby over the toilet and let them pee in there. It’s possible to completely eliminate the need for diapers, because your baby can let you know when they need to go. It’s called Elimination Communication: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elimination_communication

Sue says:

-_- Seriously? It’s a baby not a puppy…..While I’m at it maybe because they know how to walk from birth, but don’t have the strength to do so I should also get little man a personal trainer….LOL.

• 52.1.1
        zuzana says:

Worked for both my little brothers, and they almost never got diaper rash, even though mom kept them in diapers until age 2 just in case of long car rides. They just kept their diapers dry and clean.

I love your wee wee wigwam tutorial! Thank you so much for posting it. I made 3 of them for my son who is due in a few months and I’ve featured them on my blog- http://jillied.blogspot.com/2012/01/crafting-for-babyd.html

Kyra says:

I’ve heard them called Sprinkler Covers!!

Suzy says:

I found this tutorial trying to google peepee teepees. While I don’t think I would ever use one, I am trying to put together a daddy-to-be gift basket & it’s perfect for daddy’s who aren’t quick at changing diapers yet!! They are so expensive in the store so thanks so much for the tutorial… I’ll definitely be making one instead of buying!

Terri says:

WELL………I drug my machine out, dusted it off like you said, HA!! Made several of these for a baby shower I’m going to next week. I’m going to make a little matching drawstring bag to put them in. My husband and grown daughter got the biggest kick out of them. This is just a cute idea for that little extra gift. Love it! You did an awesome job, great Tutorial. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Revival says:

Such a cute idea. Thank you .

Kim semcho says:

Made one and they are so easy! My friends called me restarted and a diaper would work just as well. But I love to try new things to sew so thanks.

Joanne Fresta says:

one quick question: after placing the half circles right sides together, and sewing with the quarter in. allowance…then turning right side out….why would you need to pin it? Isn’t that a step that can be eliminated? Or does that material tend to want to curl ? Just curious. Thanks

Jaci says:

Making some of these right now for my friends baby shower, making a quick addition of a ribbon loop at the top to avoid having to grab the wet material should the “gun” go off LOL~

Frances Shanks says:

I have three boys 23, 9 & 3, I could have really used this! Einstein eat your heart out!

Great grannie says:

This is so neat. I learned the hard way, when changing a babies diaper, (over 50 years ago) to lay a folded washcloth over the area in question. A folded cloth diaper became a burp cloth. It’s so nice to find patterns to sew: double sided receiving blankets, “sprinkle covers” & burp cloths in pretty colors. We dealt with cloth diapers, diaper pails & so many archaic things back in the “good old days.” I love revisiting baby sewing land with all it’s: nursing covers & nifty homemade items.

Treasures_in Tucson says:

I have seen these over the years, but will use your tutorial because I love the name your husband used! How fun. We have a new grandson who is peeing EVERYWHERE!

Kristin says:

Great tutorial! These were so fun and easy to make. We skipped the second pinning and sewing part and it still worked perfectly. We used old wash clothes for the inside. Baby comes in 2 weeks, so we will see how it goes!!

Kyla says:

Adorable! And thanks… just made these for my sister who is having a boy in November :)