“Learn to Walk” Belt

Our little guy is 13 months old and 22 pounds. He’s heavy and my arms are burnin’ from carrying him around. He has shown interest in walking lately so I decided to make one of these walking belts for babies learning how to walk. (Gives them confidence to walk solo, without holding a hand.)

.It’s his turn to learn the art.
with daddy’s help.

I made mine very simple……..a bit different from the ones I have seen for sale.
But works great.

This way, you don’t have to bend over to hold their hands. (My husband and I are both tall people.) Or pull their arms out of socket… Perfect.

You’ll need:
(I used upholstery fabric because that’s what I had. You could also use webbing for the handles and the belt or just for the handles. It’s up to you….but if you use fabric, use something sturdy.)

• 2 pieces of fabric, 4.5 x 27.5 inches (belt)
  • 2 pieces of fabric 4.5 x 30 inches (handles)
  • 1 piece of this batting (or felt) 4.5 x 27 (padding for the belt)
  • velcro
  • thread, scissors, etc.
**Click on any of the images to enlarge.

First, place your 2 belt pieces together, right sides together. Then lay your piece of batting on top, leaving a 1/4 inch space at both ends. Sew along both long sides, leaving the ends open.

Then turn right side out and press flat. Turn the ends in a 1.4 inch and sew closed.

Then fold one of your handle pieces in half, lengthwise, and sew along the long edge with a 1/4 inch seam allowance. Turn right side out and press. Do the same with the other handle piece. Then, find the center of the belt and measure out about 2.5 inches from either side of the center. Mark with a pin…..this is where your handles will be attached. (Your handles will be about 5 inches apart. However, if you have a really petite baby, you may want to place the handles 4 or 4.5 inches apart…..so that the handles don’t end up under their armpits when the belt is in place. These are just the measurements that worked well for our little guy.) Then fold under one end of the handle piece and attach about an inch down on the belt.

Here it is flipped over. Make sure to make 2 seams and backstitch several times. You don’t want it to come loose.

Then fold over the other end of the handles about a 1/2 inch and then another 4.5 inches and sew into place. This will give you a nice loop to hold onto while walking your baby.

Then cut some velcro to place on each end of the belt. For mine, one side of the belt has 7 inch velcro and the other end has 2.5 inch velcro. Use what works best for you and your baby.

Whew, done.

Quick, easy, and a great help for babies learning to walk.

Filed under Baby, Sewing

Comments

39 Responses to ““Learn to Walk” Belt”
    Outofmymind says:

Pure GENIUS!!!!

Heather says:

Great idea – me and my DH are also tall this totally would have helped when we were teaching our kiddos to walk.

amy says:

I love this! My hubby and I are both tall people (he's 6'5" and I'm 5'10")and our little 13 month old is trying to walk. Our backs have been sore from all of the bending over to get her to walk. I'm going to make this today! Thanks so much!

One Craft Girl's Corner says:

So cute! This would've cost a lot more if you would've purchased it. I would totally make two (twins) if my twins weren't walking already!

Hillary and Jonathan says:

Yay, I was thinking I was going to have to buy one of these! (In a few months, my baby's only 5 months old:))

Brittany says:

Thanks for this! I'll try it in a few months when my guy starts trying to walk. I'm putting it on my blog for future reference.

Lynsey says:

I should give one a try. My little one is 12 months and 27 lbs so lugging him around is killer on the back on and arms! Thanks for sharing all your cute ideas.

michellejohnnie says:

AWESOME! i just might be making some of these for baby shower presents! I'm featuring this on somedaycrafts.blogspot.com

Valerie says:

This is so cute!!

I also wanted to let you know that I posted about the Maddy dress today…. You can see it here. It was so much fun to make, and I'll be making some for my older daughter too!

vigues says:

Wow, I've never seen one of these, but you can be I'll be making it in a month or 2 when the ds is ready to start walking!

Rachelle says:

that's such a clever idea! My kids are all walking, but I might have to make one for my niece! Thanks for the idea!

Nichole says:

I SOO need to do this..my daughter will be 1 next Thurs and weighs in at just over 23 pounds already..back breaking till she walks..SO smart of you!!!!

Curtis and Dani Welton says:

I love all of your ideas! I just found your blog a week ago, and I have already went back and read every post. I made a whole list of everything I want to sew now! And once I have made a few things I'm going to buy your patterns on etsy, I really want to make that skirt.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Nichole says:

Thank you so much! My little girl is 14 months and 28# 13oz! She is a little slow walking. I had looked at buying one of these and was hoping I could find a pattern to make one so you are now my hero!!

Wii are the Nelsons says:

I need one of these! My guy has been about 20 lbs. the last 4 months and has been taking steps here and there for the last 2 months….he's 8 months old…I hope he doesn't get heavier any time soon

Diana says:

THANK YOU!!! My little one is 9 months, 22 lbs and my back is killing me from holding his hands to walk. I was thinking about making one of these the other day but didn't know where to start…Now I do!

Andrea and Casey says:

I just found your blog and I officially read through each and every post!! Ahhh! I absolutely love all your crafts and sewing projects! And what I love even more is that you include VERY detailed tutorials which is something I need. Thank you for all the fabulous ideas! I counted 19 things that I put in my "to make" folder. Thanks so much!

Madelene says:

What a great idea! I must try it!

Casey says:

what an awesome idea!!

Marcee says:

Wow.
    I'm newish to your blog but I've loved everything you've posted so far.
    I just whipped one these babies out for my darling (minus the velcro, gotta run to JoAnne's. Her birthday is tomorrow and she's a 26 lbs and I just had surgery for my back, so this will be perfect. She's down for the night now, although I'm so excited that I'm tempted to get her up and try it out. I'm going to have to go blag about about it (blog-brag) now. Anyway, THANKS for the birthday gift to my daughter! Keep up the great work, you rock.

TracyKM says:

Interesting idea. I just used my longest ring sling, put around her chest with the ring at the back, and I could hold on to the tail. Doesn't teach her how to walk, but is more like a double-purpose leash.
    I never 'taught' any of my children to walk, by holding their hand or not. It's something they will learn to do on their own. In fact, I really regretted letting them do it without holding my hand–they never wanted to hold my hands once they could walk, LOL!
    For all of you that complain about holding your non-walking babies, just make a sling already, LOL. You can babywear up to about 35lb, with a 'proper' sling (not silly Bjorns and Snuglis). Some slings are super easy to make (wraps, ring slings and pouches) and some take a bit more work (mei tais and onbuhimos).

Ceci says:

Hi! What a smart idea, I will have to make one for my son as he starts to walk. I have a question that might seem a bit strange, but which template are you using on your blog, I have been trying to find one like yours where I can put pictures on both sides of my posts.

Ceci, here is the blog that I used to help with my layout.

Good luck!

Ceci says:

Thank you Ashley!

6wildo says:

LOVE your idea!! I made one like this a few years ago for my first daughter but it had a strap between the legs and wasnt the best design — yours is awesome!!!

hollie says:

I love the fabric and I know you bought it at Fabric.com but do you mind telling me who makes it or how you found it? It matches my friends nursery perfect!!

Hollie,

Yes, I did buy the fabric at fabric.com. Here's the link:

It's a thick upholstery type of fabric….just so you know.

Hope that helps!

Vicki says:

Where were you when my chunk was starting to walk? I love your stuff… keep up the good work!

Jennifer says:

Thank you so much! My twins just turned 1 year old and are wanting to try to walk. Thanks for saving my back! Love the tutorial, your little guy, and the fabric you made your belt out of. Thanks! – Jennifer

AdronsCatherine says:

Just finishing up one for my little runt ;o) He's not even 16 lbs. at 10 1/2 months, but he loves trying to walk, and it's wearing me out lol! He usually holds on to my pants legs, and I walk him around slowly, so I think he's going to LOVE this! He tries so hard to keep up with the other 4, and this should make him feel like one of the big kids lololol!

Thank you SO much!

marry says:

Blogs are so informative where we get lots of information on any topic. Nice job keep it up!!
    _____________________________

Engineering Dissertation

Phillip, Jaimee and Adelynn says:

I just made this for my girl, thank you so much!

Bethany says:

I made one last night for my 9 month old and he LOVES it. It is the funniest thing to see him running around in it. He laughs and yells at the same time.

Me and my husband are short, but the baby loves the freedom of walking "by himself". Once he figured out what he could do he was off!

craftedbymama says:

I made one awhile ago and just re purposed it to a bike vest…just wanted to give you credit. Thanks again.

Heidi Ceto says:

Wow!! LOVE this! I will be making one for my 9m old and for a friend for Christmas who has a 9m old as well!! My little guy is not anywhere near ready to walk but my friends baby is! CRAZY how much each baby differs from one another! My baby is already 20lbs so who knows how much he will weigh at 13m! lol

Sara says:

You think that’s heavy? LOL My son is 14 months and at 12 months he weighed 28 lbs. He’s been walking since 11 months so I can empathize! I had to carry him everywhere before that, and even still most of the time, he’s on my hip.

alicia says:

Hola soy de mexico, tengo que decirte que hace dos años que mi hija iba a cumplir un año de edad hice este cinturon y la verdad que quede fascinada, es muy facil ayudarlos a caminar con el y mi niña a la edad de 11 meses comenzo a caminar, ahora lo volvi a buscar porque unos amigos tienen a su bebe de meses y se lo quiero regalar para que esten preparados cuando la nena quiera dar sus primeros pasos. muchas gracias y saludos desde mexico.

Marleen says:

I just found this today, and what a fantastic idea! I’ve been dreaming of something like this, and you tell me this is an actual product, and these are for sale in the US?!? I’m from The Netherlands, and we don’t have this. I am making one tomorrow for my 18 month old, who is walking very fast but not very stable. My back is killing me, because we have to hold him under his arms when walking. This is great! Thank you so much!