Sautee’d Quinoa

Have you ever had Quinoa? (Keen-wa)

Ummmm……..it’s okay if you haven’t. It’s a strange little grain. But so good for you. It’s a complete grain and has a yummy little texture. (We call it “baby rice” in our family…..to convice my 2 year old that it’s edible. Because anything “baby” is right up her alley. And both kiddos love it.) I am not a complete health conscious person (though I should be) but I know that this is a good hearty and complete grain. So it makes me feel good to make it for our family. (Don’t worry….I always offset all of this healthiness with a good ice ream sundae afterwards. Just kidding…….. Kind of.)

But lately, we have eaten it so often. As the main course.

With a side of grilled veggies and some raw ones too. There are so many available during the summer. Yum.

But did you know that Quinoa is an ancient South American grain, dating back over 5,000 years? (www.quinoa.net) Yeah it was pretty important back then.
And it has more protein than any other grain. Good stuff.

You will not be disappointed.

Comments

28 Responses to “Sautee’d Quinoa”
    anna says:

Thanks for sharing! I love quinoa!

Karin says:

That sounds delicious! I'm thinking now and don't remember ever tasting quinoa.. yet. Really have to try it someday. Can you compare it to couscous?

frugalisfab says:

That looks really good. I love Quinoa, I usually make a southwest style quinoa, but I will give this a try!

Karin – It's kind of like couscous. Well, the size is. The texture is a bit more firm……not hard but it seems like it has a bit more firmness to it. Gosh, that's hard to explain. :)

Tracy says:

I love Quinoa and am always looking for fun new recipes. This looks delicious, can't wait to try it! Thanks for sharing and for all of your really cute ideas!

Liz says:

Thank you so much for this recipe! I bought some after reading about it in "You are what you Eat", but honestly, didn't know how to prepare it so that it would be appetizing to my family. I'm excited to try this- Thanks!

Suzy D. says:

I Just found Quinoa and love it!
    This recipe will be a nice change from just plain
    Thanks

Sarah says:

Love it with cranberries and feta. Yum!

Amanda says:

Looks good..I am a wanna be health nut lol..And have heard of it..Actually I have picked it up in the store but 7 bucks for a little bag was hard to swallow not knowing if the kiddos would eat it or not..So with this post I will have to try the recipe out. Thanks for the info!!!

Christie says:

I love quinoa. I love the texture of it, all small and grainy. It's great. Thanks for posting the recipe. Sometimes it's hard to come up with recipes for things that aren't very common.

Artystitches says:

I recently tried Quinoa for the first time, there is a recipe in one of my food magazine for Chicken Balti one pot and it used Quinoa instead of rice, and it was so scummy! you can do lots with it.

jodi says:

Hey you, love this recipe ;) We'll have to get together and cook some more.

Strand Family says:

hmmm…I tried quinoa the day before you posted this. My sister just sauteed it in olive oil. I wasn't a fan, but I'll try this recipe. Hers looked different too…like it had little white worms or something.

Kristina says:

My husband and I, literally, just bought quinoa the other day and then you posted this recipe! I just made it and it was DEELISHUS!! I served it with a seared tuna steak and baked acorn squash. I felt like a fancy shmancy chef! Thanks for the recipe!

Whitni Ann says:

Hello! Just dropping by to tell you that I made a little mention of you in my blog post today about your orange creme dessert. (I hope thats ok!) I can't wait to try it! Hope you have a wonderful day!
    -Whitni

Thanks Whitni, I'll have to go check it out!

Nate & Mandi says:

This is unrelated to this topic… but I just found these sweet little roses and thought I'd pass this link along. They are so easy to make and like yo-yo's; can go on everything and look absolutely lovely!

Tasha says:

wow! I have bee wanting to try this, but wasn't really sure how to make it, thanks for the recipe!

Deb says:

I've heard so many good things about quinoa. Thanks for the recipe.

Miss Anne says:

it looks delish!
    i love how you disguise it as "baby rice" :)

so sweet

Cassie and Mitch says:

i love quinoa!!! i am excited to try this recipe!

Jennifer says:

I have been eyeballing the quinoa at costco and because of your post, I just bought some! Hoping my kids will love it like yours do. Thanks!

McKeehan's says:

Thanks for sharing! I love this idea for a main dish. Your site is my new favorite!

becca greene says:

as a vegetarian, i totally adore quinoa.your recipe sounds yummy

Aieman says:

Try this one, i made it once, it tasted great, i'm sure you will love it too..

Kim N. says:

I'm compiling quinoa recipes (just tried it for the first time a week or so ago) and this sounds terrific! We're trying to eat less meat, so this is a good protein source. I made a yummy veggie curry and served it over the quinoa…delish!

AutumnBrooke says:

I LOVE quinoa! Have you ever tried black bean quinoa salad? I'd be happy to pass along the recipe if you'd like it. It's delish!

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. [...] But, of course is just as fantastic for you who eat gluten too.  And really, really healthy.  (Here’s a simple go-to recipe I use often, when eating quinoa as a [...]