Car Seat Handle Cover

One of you readers emailed me, asking if I could show how to make one of these. I’m so sorry, but I can’t remember who it was. I’ve looked for the email but I’m afraid it’s gone. So mystery emailer, this is for you.

Do you carry your car seat up in the bend of your elbow? Or on your forearm? Does the handle pinch and twist your skin and drive you crazy? Well, it always did for me. This is a great solution for that. Or even to eliminate sweaty hand…..slipping off the handle.

Nice and cushy.

All I did was cut 2 pieces of cotton 9 x 15 inches and two pieces of thin batting 8 x 14 inches.

Then I sewed the 2 pieces of cotton together (1/2 inch seam allowance), right sides together…..and left open a 3-4 inch gap on one side. Then I clipped the corners and turned it right side out, poking out the corners.

Then I tacked the pieces of batting together at the corners, to keep them from shifting…..

……and then I shoved the batting inside the main piece. You ‘ll have to work at it to get the corners of the batting right in the corners of the inside of the fabric. Keep shifting it all around to get it to lay completely flat. (If the batting is too big, it won’t lay flat…..so you may have to trim it.) **I decided to do it this way, rather than sew the batting together with the 2 pieces of fabric because I didn’t want it to be too bulky when I turned it right side out and tried sewing around the whole thing.**

Then I tucked in the opening…..

And pinned it closed…….

And then I sewed around the entire thing.

And then I attached velcro to the ends.

Done.

Attach right to the car seat for some instant comfort.

Filed under Baby, Gift Ideas, Miscellaneous, Sewing

Comments

27 Responses to “Car Seat Handle Cover”
    Funky Frog Designs says:

What a great idea, thanks for sharing.

Heather says:

Love this – I totally could have used this last year!

Char says:

This is PERFECT! My husband always carries our car seat like a weirdy cause he doesn't want it to pull out all his arm hair. We are expecting our second in December and this will be on the car seat before we make it home from the hospital! Thanks for another great idea.

Sarah says:

What a great idea! And so cute!!

Another suggestion would be to use craft iron fleece/interfacing. You could just iron it to one, or both pieces and it wouldn't shift at all!

Morgan@Diapering and Beyond says:

Cool! What about a new carseat cover and awning?

kylee says:

good idea! And I love the fabric you used. What is it called and where did you get it?

Amanda says:

maybe you've answered this in a post I've missed, but where do you get your fabric?

Tater Tot Mom says:

That is such a cute idea!

greetingarts says:

Hmmm. I can think of lots of things that have handles that could use a cute handle cozy…!

Julie says:

HMMMM don't have a need for this fabulous idea but I'm working on it!!!
    thanks

I got that fabric at Hobby Lobby. They have a special line of fabric for their store and you can't buy it online or anything. So if you have one nearby, that's where I got that fabric.

Also, if you'd like to know the other places I shop for fabric, check here:

Small fry & Co. says:

Yet again, you think of everything. Wish I was the one thinking of these great ideas. Glad you have a blog to help me out. Keep em coming.

TracyKM says:

According to the manual, you are supposed to put the handle down, and carry it in front of you like a laundry basket. Not too handy if you need your hands.
    However, even better—don't carry the carseat at all!! Really, just use a sling. So much better for your back, AND your baby! And you can sew them yourself! Babywearing is awesome, especially if you can sew!!
    (And BTW, don't post a tutorial to sew a replacement cover, that will void any liability the manufacture could have if something goes wrong with the seat).
    I just wish carseats had come in such great colours and patterns 10 years ago!

Dalling Family says:

Wow! I was just gazing at all of the posts on this page and noticed the stat counter – over a million!!!! Way to go Ash! You are really doing something awesome for yourself and helping TONS of people with money saving and fashionable progjects! Kudos!

JulieJ says:

I saw this on Shark Tank last night and thought of you:
    If anyone could make a tutorial on how to make this yourself, it is you!

porter family says:

i love the carseat! can you tell me where you got it and what it is a called? we are looking for a cute boy one.

Porter Family……..I'm glad you like the car seat, but it actually belongs to a friend of mine. I'm pretty sure it's a Graco but it might be a couple of years old because they have two little kids now. So, they probably don't even make this style anymore. Sorry I wasn't more help. :)

Julie, that's an adorable idea for the Pack 'n Play. I may have to add that to my list. Thanks!

Rosalind says:

I made something almost identical—–only bigger to put over the car safety belt so that it was more comfortable on bare arms/shoulders in the summer. :o)
    Great minds think alike!

[email protected] says:

This is so smart! Thanks so much for sharing, I'll be linking to this.

Michelle says:

Ashley, that was me who emailed you about this! I would have posted a comment sooner, but I had my baby girl on the 27th of August and have been busy busy!!! Thank you sooo much for posting this! I have waited for your tutorial, and its good timing since I'm carrying around a car seat again!

Andrea says:

It's so funny that your posting a tutorial on this as I just made one for my carseat a few weeks ago!
    I also added loops for hanging toys, and made some matching strap covers for extra cuteness.

Ahhhh, Michelle, yes!! It was you! Thanks again for the idea. Good luck with your new sweet baby girl!

Padalily says:

Or check out http://www.padalily.com the original invention!

anthony says:

Thanks for sharing your ideas for the car seat cover. I love it!

Krista says:

I have the original patented version, called the Padalily (www.padalily.com). I love it! It has so much more cushion and comfort because of their patented foam insert. I met the inventor, and she is awesome. I know a lot of people have copied her, but she was smart to put the investment into patenting it to protect herself. You all should check out her product and her story!

Allicia says:

I just made one for the girl I babysit, her Momma is always holding the seat in her elbow and it just doesn’t look like fun! I hope she likes it when she gets here to pick up her little one!

I don’t carry my seat that way, but since i have a hand-me-down seat the plastic handle is a little grimy this will be a perfect solution!