Light Switch Cover

Have you been working on sprucing up a room? I have. Our little nursery is always a work in progress. I have added things here and there and it’s becoming more and more cozy. And here’s the latest addition.

A Light Switch Cover. This will only take minutes to do and really adds a great little detail to the room.

Buy a new cover or remove the one that’s on your light switch right now. Cut out a coordinating piece of material that’s just big enough to be able to wrap the extra fabric around the back. Slit a hole where the light switch would go and make additional slits, angling out towards each corner of the opening. Apply a coat of Mod Podge to the front of the cover. Lay the fabric over the top, making sure to center the hole over the light switch opening.

Pull the fabric tight and fold the edges around to the back. Apply another layer of Mod Podge and let dry completely.

Then add ribbon/buttons/embellishments to the front with hot glue.

Re-attach to the wall and……wow!

Look how cute.

Filed under Baby, Children, Home Decor, No Sew

Comments

33 Responses to “Light Switch Cover”
    Princess Of Pink says:

Sweet and fun!!

Trimble says:

Very cute. I did the same thing with some comic book pages (my son's room is Batman) and it was super easy and turned out really fun.

[email protected] says:

How cute and so perfect for kids, I love it! I'll be linking.

Mama says:

You are SO SO crafty! I will use this idea for my son's new "TRACTOR" room.

Michelle says:

I made one for our nursery too a few weeks ago! It was so easy and looks so cute!!! It's addicting too, I'd like to make more for the rest of the rooms in the house too!

Becky says:

That is sooooo cool. I forget about using Mod Podge!

Deb says:

So cute. Except I think it will make my little ones play with their light switches even more!

Rose says:

This seems so basic, like we should all have thought of doing that. Seriously, I would never have thought of mod-podging the light cover. Good work!

michellejohnnie says:

Darling. Linked at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com

Erika says:

I love this! What a fun and easy way to dress up a room, especially if you're renting and can't paint!

Kristina says:

Ashley!! I'm so glad I found your blog. I followed the link from Caryn Jone's blog and am so happy I did! How have you been? (If my name is throwing you off, this is Kristi Lewis-from high school) I've been linking to your blog from mine as I've been trying out the tutorials. If you wanna see my attempts at them you can go to canofsnails.blogspot.com I've been having so much fun trying them out!

Michelle S. says:

Thank you…I know just the fabric to do this with in my dd's room. :)

Jerolyn and Matt says:

Hey! Congrats on winning the blog contest for that Utah baby magazine! That's awesome! You totally deserve it!

Wii are the Nelsons says:

so cute!

The Noalls says:

I've been looking at your blog for the first time and am loving it. I really admire your creativity (not to mention thriftyness :)), and hope it will inspire my own! I'll be back! :)

Kristen says:

Love it! One question… Which type of Mod Podge do you use? I went to Joann and there were about 5 different varieties…Matte, Gloss, Paper, etc. I was lost :) Thanks for all your great tips and projects! I now have even MORE on my to-do list!

I just use the Matte…..for everything. I have never purchased any of the varieties, even the cloth variety. I've just used the matte for everything and it has worked well. Hope that helps! :)

Lerwill Mommy says:

THis is the cutest Idea EVER!

Kristie VanWagoner says:

Whoops did not mean to delete- I have the ugliest light switch cover and I love modge podge- so I have wonder before what I could modge podge and you have shown me the possibilites are endless LUV IT THANK YOU :O)

Spence Ohana says:

Thanks for the tutorial! I just did this project and it turned out super cute! http://spenceohana.blogspot.com/2010/02/look-what-i-made.html

Can't wait to try out one of your other projects!

Tifonly says:

I love doing crafts and belive it or not I have never worked with Mod Podge! SO my question to you is do I add the extra layer of Mod Podge to the fabric or the back of the plate? I am antsy to try it out. BTW love love love you stuff.

tifonly – I added a layer of mod podge to the front of the light switch plate, then attached the fabric, then another layer on top of the fabric. That really stiffens it up and keeps it in place. Good luck and have fun!

switch plates says:

Very creative. They look great!!!

Judy says:

That turned out so adorable! I love the color it adds and the buttons are so darn cute! I made one recently using photo transfer with Mod Podge but think this would be so much fun for kids' rooms!

cole says:

i'm making these for my SIL's birthday. i almost gave up, but remembered that we have super glue. that helped to keep the little pieces of fabric where the switch goes down.i also used a sealer.

Jennifer says:

I just made this today! It turned out so cute and is a great addition to my daughters room!

Tiffany says:

I just tried this idea of a Mod Podged light switch myself. But the added ribbon and buttons on yours is exceptional. I actually want to make more and try that. It's so beautiful and looks so professional.

Jessica says:

Hi, Ashley! I love this idea–I bookmarked it even before I was pregnant! Now that I’m almost due I’m trying to match the “Ribbon Lamp” tutorial with this light switch, but my ribbons won’t glue onto the plate. I tried Modge Podge-ing the ribbons to a piece of fabric, but that’s not working either. Should I just resort to Krazy glue or is there another way I can do this? Maybe a different adhesive? Thank you so much! I love your blog!

Delaney says:

I don’t know, looks hard.

Jen says:

Great idea! I used the same floral fabric I am using to make the crib bedding and it looks so fun. Thanks for the idea. :)

Reeda says:

I just love your ideas and you inspire me across the distance, so thanks alot

Mandy from OZ says:

I’ve been hooked on looking through your website all night. You are one talented lady. You are inspirational. You are generous in your sharing your talent. You certainly have the flare. I’m super impressed. The website is so professional looking, like magazine photos, one of the best I’ve seen.
    Congratulations. Keep it coming.
    Regards M

Charlene Payne says:

I have printed some graphics onto 24# paper and tried to make the covers, but the colors started to blend together and the corners tore when I folded them to the back. Am I using the wrong weight paper or won’t it work with graphics printed from the computer? Thanks for any suggestions because I’m really looking forward to making the covers!