Framed Initial

Are you proud of that last name of yours?
Well, display it then.

All I did was cut out a piece of background fabric that was slightly bigger than the mat that was inside the frame. Then, I printed off the letter ‘J’ in the font that I liked from the computer. Then I cut out the ‘J’ in a coordinating fabric. Lastly, I used double sided fusible web to attach the letter to the background fabric.

Then I folded the fabric around the mat, glued it in place, inserted it into the frame and……..done.

Comments

26 Responses to “Framed Initial”
    The Hughes Family says:

I saw a super cute idea for displaying names in your kids room…it was off the hgtv website and they took particle board and covered it with a cordinating color of fabric for the room and then painted the letters you buy at micheals for 1.99 and put them on top of the particle board…it was super cute and not many people look on that site so I thought you could share the idea since you are fixing your little boys room and that would be perfect in there… I will email you the picture right now! tell me what you think!

nap time journal says:

Great idea thanks. THis would be fun to do all the initials in your own family and then display them in the living room. THanks for sharing your talent :)

Jennifer says:

I need something cute to go above where our keys hang. I think this is it! Thanks!

mahonica (you ugly) says:

How did you find a font that big for the "J"? Is there a special large font place?

Ooooh, letters for everyone would be really cool too. Thanks.

Oh, and I just made the font large in Word……like 200 or something. You can make your font as big as you'd like, print it out, and then cut around it. Hope that helps.

e.c says:

hmmm, I really like this idea!

Cassie says:

I love this idea!

Brayton Homestead Interiors says:

love it, great way to personalize a room, thanks!

✩Molly✩ says:

Love it!

Sherie says:

You can save a lot on printer ink if you choose the option to "outline" under the font editing. It outlines the letter, instead of filling it all in. The paper also lays flatter, because it doesn't have all that heavy ink trying to make the paper curl in on itself.

I enjoy getting great ideas from your blog!

Great tip Sherie….I had no idea. Thank you!!

Susan says:

How about cutting whole words out…like maybe BEACH, and then making color copies of vacaction photos to glue on the letters…you would need to use a "fat-lettered" font…you could do it for BASEBALL, FOOTBALL, PROM, lots of things!

Adorable! I did a similar one but with paper and a silhouette. Love your blog. I am a follower now!

Cathy says:

These are so cute. Wish my last name didn't start with an "O". Just kinda' looks funny in the frame. Maybe my first initial and hung in my craft room.

Adry Viola says:

Soooo neat! I am going to do these for all of my kids. :) Thanks!

Lydja says:

I really like your fabric choices. And come to think of it, I AM proud of my last name!

kheaney says:

I did this project last night and I am so glad I did. Thanks for the inspiration for this project and others on your blog. I am trying several – did the yo-yo's today. There are some pics on my blog…Kristin

Jenna says:

Just found your blog and I'm snooping around getting some great ideas! I love this one, but I'm wondering how you keep the edges from fraying?

Jenna, after you iron the letter to the background material with fusible webbing, it will stay there nicely without fraying. And this is mostly because you put it back in the frame behind the glass. Nothing moves, so it will never get rubbed or fray. Hope that helps! :)

Jenna says:

Thank you so much Ashley! My cousin and his fiance/wife are having a reception this Saturday and I have been searching for an inexpensive but still cute gift for them- this is PERFECTION!

Zhanna says:

cute idea… heres a tip for using less ink when u print out the letter set the "color" of the letter to be a pale grey to save on all that black ink! :)

Shannon says:

I found your blog today and I am in love! I do have a dumb question though (I am new to working with fabric) – how do you get the letter cut out – I mean do you pin the paper letter to the fabric and cut around, do you seal it to it somehow and cut around?

Shannon…..nope, not a dumb question. I remember when I posted about this so long ago, that it was just a quick project and I only quickly shared how to put it together. Sorry for the non-specifics.

But, I think I just cut out the paper "J", then traced that onto the fabric with a pencil, then cut it out. Then I cut out some fusible web in the same "J" shape (like this stuff: http://www.amazon.com/Thermoweb-Heatn-Bond-Iron–Adhesive-17/dp/B001145BDU/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1298735765&sr=8-7) and then placed that between the letter and the background and ironed the layers together. I didn't stitch around it because I knew once it was in the frame, it would get moved around or fray at all. But you could stitch around it for a cool design/affect. It's totally up to you.

Best of luck!

Mindy Sue says:

What a phenomenal idea!!! Great! Great! Please keep the ideas coming. I sure need the help.

harrysdesk says:

Another great little, do-able project.
    I have featured it on my blog here…
    …. if you would like to take a look.
    Thanks for taking the time to post it up!
    Ally on harrysdesk

Kayla says:

I did this for my sister for Christmas. She loved it!!