Sippy Cup Leash

.My husband and I were up until 3am two nights ago, finishing some application stuff, and it’s like we can’t catch up. My poor achin’ 28 year old body. Wow, the day’s almost half over………I can’t believe it. I meant to have this up this morning. Whoops! (I might need some chocolate covered cinnamon bears to keep me on track for the rest of the day. Anyone have any? So tasty.)

How about a little Sippy Cup Leash to eliminate them being thrown overboard. Does that happen to you? Grrrr……me too.

My good friend showed me one of these that she bought and we both thought every mom pushing a stroller must have one. Or dad, or nanny, or auntie……. Even if your child doesn’t intentionally throw them over……..the little sippy’s somehow slip and slide right out of that stroller. Tricky little things.

Always handy to take a sip…..

But don’t worry if it takes the plunge over the side of the stroller…

Handy little leash…

You’ll need:

• 32 inch piece of ribbon or webbing (My ribbon was 5/8 inch wide, but even wider ribbon would work nicely too.)
  • 2 pieces of velcro, 1 inch long (1 piece of the hook side and 1 piece of the loop side – Make sure and use strong velcro……the stronger the better.)
  • 2 pieces of velcro, 3 inches long (1 piece of the hook side and 1 piece of the loop side – Make sure and use strong velcro……the stronger the better.)
  • 1 strip of shelf liner, 8 inches long

**When purchasing velcro, make sure and buy heavy duty velcro. The every day sewing velcro will not hold it tightly enough. But even at wal-mart, they have heavy duty velcro that has bigger hooks and loops that are stronger. It costs a bit more but will hold a lot better.**

Heat seal the ends of your piece of ribbon (or webbing) or fold under and sew. (I use a lighter to melt the loose ends.) Then attach one piece of the 1 inch long velcro to the front side of one end of the ribbon.

Then measure down 6 inches and attach the other piece of the 1 inch velcro to the back side of the ribbon.

Then sew one side of the 3 inch velcro to the front side of the other end of the ribbon. Then measure 8 1/2 inches down and attach the other piece of 3 inch velcro to the back side of the ribbon.

Then cut a piece of shelf liner that is 8 inches long, by however wide your ribbon is. (This shelf liner acts as a nice grip, to keep the Leash from sliding off the sippy cups. It’s optional but will help keep it in place.

Lay your piece of shelf liner on the back of the end of the ribbon that has the 3 inch long velcro. This shelf liner does not slide very nicely under the presser foot, so I placed a piece of tissue paper over the top of the liner, and then sew all 4 layers (the ribbon, velcro, shelf liner, and tissue paper).

Then I pulled the tissue paper off, like it was never there.

What a brilliant trick, right?

Well, a reader, Kaylyn, left a comment with a tip on how to attach the vinyl to the ‘I Spy’ Bags. The tip was perfect and I ended up using it here. So thanks Kaylyn.

Anyway, attach one end to your stroller and the other end to your sippy cup………and away you go.

Less stress and no more missing sippy cups.

Filed under Baby, Children, Miscellaneous, Sewing

Comments

34 Responses to “Sippy Cup Leash”
    Kelly O. says:

Hi there,
    i have awarded you a Kreativ blogger Award!
    check out my blog to copy and paste the award to yours!

This is an awesome idea and exactly why I wanted to give you this award!

Natalia says:

My girlfriend had shown me how to make these and I have loved them. Another way to do it is to use elastic on one side and sew it closed so the baby can't pull off the Velcro, and the elastic goes around the sippy cup. My little monster loved taking the Velcro off. :)

The Harris Family says:

I love this idea. We always have this problem.

nap time journal says:

Love the idea!!! thanks!

The Hardy Things in Life says:

What a great idea, Love it! I also love the fabric magnets, I did something like that but put family pictures instead and sent them to family!! I love your great ideas! You are awesome!!

Aubrey says:

You are brilliant! I have just started experiencing the dropped sippy cup problem lately. I swear my baby likes to watch me pick it up a million times… This is the perfect solution!

greetingarts says:

Such a great idea, especially the addition of the rubber shelf liner. Sadly (or gladly, I vacillate on how I feel about their growing up!) my kids' sippy cup days are over, but I'm so totally going to use this whenever I need a toddler/baby gift. Thanks!

Lyanna says:

Wow, I just might have to make one of these for every mom of a tot I know!!! Uh oh, did I really just think/type that??? Another project on the list… thanks :)

Diana says:

I love this idea! This will save a lot of time looking for dropped cups, especially at the zoo. Thanks.

Kaylyn says:

That is a great idea. I am glad the tissue paper trick works for more things than I thought of. Thanks for the all the fun ideas and giveaways.

[email protected] says:

That is handy! What a great idea. Thanks so much, I'll be linking.

mari_contrary says:

I don't know you, but I love you. A lot. I almost just threw my son's sippy cup in the street today after fetching it for the 23rd time or something like that. This is such a DUH idea that I never would have thought of – I'm going to make one RIGHT NOW. Thank you!!

Nicole @ BugaBoos says:

Love this, what a great idea!

sassacraft says:

Pretty neat idea. I'll keep this in mind when the next lil one comes along.

Thanks a bunch!

Jason and Monica says:

What type of velcro did you use? My velcro is coming undone when I hand a full sippy cup from it. Also, just FYI for other makers, the measurements were way too large for my sippy cups (the loop part was too big).

Monica. Sorry it's not working too well for you. I mentioned in the tutorial to use strong velcro but I should have been more specific. (I'll go and change that right away.) But even at wal-mart, there is your every day sewing velcro and then there is super tough velcro that costs a bit more but the hooks and loops are thicker and bigger……..helping carry all the weight. Hope that helps!

Lynette says:

I don't have kids, but I spend enough time with them to know that this is a fabulous trick! I will be making these for all the little kiddos I know! This could also work in some of the special education classrooms I've worked in. I plan on doing a longer strip of velcro on the back side to make it adjustable for any size of sippy.

Grazel & Grayson says:

THIS IS AWESOME!! I have lost two sippy cups in the last 30 days on my walks about town. I am sooo excited to not have that issue anymore. THANK YOU!!

Taralee says:

How do you heat seal the ends? Or what is heat sealing? I was also curious on the car trash bag too. Do you mind explaining both?? :) Thanks!!

Taralee, sorry! I heat seal the ends by using a lighter to melt and seal all the loose ends together.

Felicia says:

Ashley-

Just wanted to let you know, I did a variation of this and blogged about it here:

I also linked back to this post too!

Term Papers says:

Awesome post. Keep more information like this coming!

College Term Papers

Ainsliesmommy says:

Awesome idea, but unfortunately my sewing machine needles hated the adhesive on the velcro and became gummy, so I just stuck the velcro on, also my shelf liner split in 2 everywhere I sewed it. So I just used double sided tape. Even though I used the industrial strength velcro about 4 out of 10 times the cup comes out, but for the other times it works it's amazing. I may need to find a different brand of velcro, but I purchased the industrial strength kind from Walmart. Will be checking around for something even stronger. But this has been a fantastic project and I've liked using it for my daughter.

Jenn says:

I know you posted this over a year ago and I know that she’s changed it since then, but my MIL just told me about a trick she does with sewing velcro that has an adhesive on it. All you have to do is keep the needle oiled. She gave me something called, Sewer’s Aid (all purpose). Just add a little to your needle and keep checking it every once in awhile to make sure it stays oiled. Works great!!

The Hughes Family says:

We are going on Vacation very soon and I have a few sippy cups that arnt the best anymore that i set aside and so I plan on just hot gluing the strap right on and then just hand washing the cups. These would just be used for vacas but Im excited because Im going to attach them to their car seats and then i wont have to worry! Ashley…Im in LOVE with you. I have already made your dual dvd player thing and im going to make your head pillows and also this sippy cup thing for our vacation to Utah. I lvoe everything on your site…I pretty much go right to your site if I need to make anything!

Haha…….so glad this will work out for you. I actually always keep 2 leashes in the car, attached to each carseat. That way the kiddos always have a sippy to drink from. So you will love this on your trip. But good luck on your trip……and good luck crafting your little heart out!

Mama Rockwell says:

Thanks so much for the tutorial. I made three this weekend!

Melia says:

I love this idea we are going to Disneyland in the Spring, and I really don't want to lose a Sippy in Disney. So I am going to go make one right now. Thank you foe the idea. I love you page.

Shari says:

We are headed to Disney next week with an 18 month old—this is great!!!

Thanks, Shari

refi says:

Yes, you need to have something to tie them down but any good old string does not do. I love the strap. It is easy to take it away and wash as well.

Lisa Williams says:

All the industrial strength velcro I found was the stick-on kind, not sewable. Where do you buy it?