Pillow Slip Covers

My couch needed some more color

Badly.

I was tired of looking at the same ‘ol greenish brown color. All it took was a 40% off upholstery fabric sale at Joann’s fabric, and I had a plan.
The red goes perfectly with my red curtains. Ahhhh…..

My pillows are 21 x 21 inches so the instructions are given accordingly.

**Seam allowance is 1/2 inch.

Make a front piece that is 22 x 22 inches, to include the 1/2 inch seam allowance on all sides.
**Decide how many stripes you’d like, if any, divide by 21 inches and then add a 1/2 inch seam allowance to all sides. Make sure the width is 22 inches long.

Then cut 2 back pieces that are 22 inches by 14 inches. Fold down one side (one of the 22 inch sides) a 1/2 inch and then 3/4 of an inch, and then sew into place. Do this to both pieces.

Then pin one of the back pieces to the front piece, with right sides together, making sure that the seam that you just sewed is in the middle of the pillow. Sew into place. Line up the other back piece the same way, overlapping the first piece a bit. Sew into place.

Then zig-zag stitch around the entire pillow and clip your corners.

Turn right side out, poke out your corners, and wiggle your pillow on in.

A view from the back. Your back pieces should overlap so that you can’t see the pillow underneath and so that it doesn’t come out.

Splash of color. So lovely.

Filed under Home Decor, Sewing

Comments

29 Responses to “Pillow Slip Covers”
    Lauren says:

This is perfect!
    I've been wanting to make some pillow covers for my blah green couch!
    Thanks!!!!

dailydoseofme says:

What a coincedence i blogged about pillow slip cover too as part of Sew IT – a sew along (to encourage people to sew :)

Check it out

Loved this will have to try it out :)

dailydoseofme says:

Opsy I forgot to include the link

Btw Love your blog its currently set as my homepage :)

Jennifer says:

I love it Ashley! We are waiting to hear if the house we put a bid in on will soon be ours. The wait is killing me and making me itch to be creative. Pillow covers are first on my list of things to make.

Rose says:

This is so easy, I bought a pattern and they made it waaay more difficult!

The Hughes Family says:

I love it Ashley!!! We are hoping to get a house and when that happens im going to have Z-E-R-O dollars and so I need to be able to do things for super cheap to decorate my home the way want it!!!!

Sheri says:

I just found your blog a few days ago. Ten minutes before I red this I finished up the slip covers for my couch pillows. Funny!

Melissa says:

I think we have the same couch. Is the other side of the throw pillow hideous? I am going to make your covers. Great pattern. Thanks.

The Hardy Things in Life says:

Ashely, oh my heck!! I love the splash of color it added to your couch!! Super cute!! I can't wait to get moved into our place this weekend, and that will be one of the first things I do! when I get the sewing machine unpacked!! Thanks for all your fun and great ideas! I love it!!

Sarah (Team Chilton) says:

I love the red. You have the best craft tutorial blog I have ever found (and I search a lot). You do easy crafts that are no only cute, but super practical that can be completed during babies' naptime. I love it! Thanks again for another awesome tutorial.

Faith- Inspired Designs by Faith says:

These are so cute!!!

THE CHRISTENSEN CHRONICLE says:

LOVE it! I can't get enough of PROJECTS!!! I am into sewing sun dresses at the moment…JoAnn's…..50% off fabric this weekend…woo hoo! Love your blog! Tana

Micah and Melinda says:

So cute!

Bahama Shores Mama says:

just made two pillows following your tute…..thanks!!! First time visitor, but I'll surely be back as I've added you to my reader :)

Kylie B says:

Oh wow beautiful! Love them!

Erin says:

Thanks for your great tutorials, I am excited to give them a try. I am a newbie to sewing, how many yards did you buy for this project?

Erin, my pillows are 21 x 21 inches and it took about 1 yard (maybe a bit more just in case) to make 2 pillows.

Good luck!

Elizabeth Warren says:

Thank you for the great tutorial,very easy to follow! I posted this tutorial link at http://www.myfavoritefinds.blogspot.com

Michelle Hart says:

Hi Ashley,

I have a blog post up showing off my latest sewing creation! Thanks for your wonderful tutorial! :)

Nichole Barton says:

How do you get the back of the pillow slipcover not to gap in the middle? I've made 2 and both of mine separate in the middle of the overlapping backflaps and show the pillow inside.

Nichole…..increase how much the pieces in the back overlap. Also, is the pillow cover too small along the front and it's pulling? That could also be the problem. But I would make sure that the two back flaps overlap 4-5 inches.

Hope that helps!

Anissa says:

Hi Ashely – I linked back to you yet again. :) Thanks for all the wonderful tutorials!

stephasauri says:

This may sound like a silly question (but it may help with Nichole's question as well), but how do you measure your pillow? Do you just measure along the side edge or across the middle from edge to edge? Measuring along the edge seems pretty standard, but how do you account for the pillow's fluffiness?

Yes, great question Steph……you measure right down the center of the pillow, across the bulk of the pillow, which will include the size of the fluffiness. That will ensure that you are measure the 3D shape of the pillow, not just the side seams.

Thanks and I hope that helps!

Shelby says:

I realize it’s over a year later since you’ve done this, but I’m going to tackle this project and I had a question that wasn’t answered in your comments. I hope you get this! Do I pre-wash the fabric?

Katie says:

This is my very first sewing project since Home Ec in junior high years and years ago (I’m now 27!) and I am so proud of my pillow cover! I plan to make more. Thanks for a great project to help get me sewing.