Neck Pillow

Do you have your travel plans for the summer?

Does it include a long drive in the car?  A long trip on an airplane?

You might need one of these for you or the kiddos.

You might think this carseat would provide great neck support, but no.

She becomes bobble head while snoozing in the car.  It’s sad.

Edited to Add:  This picture was taken in 2009, while I was still very new at blogging.  I plopped my daughter in her carseat for the photo and was most likely in a hurry to snap the picture.  The chest clip isn’t high enough, I know.  We weren’t going anywhere……it was all for the photo.  (I remember, we were just out in the parking lot of our apartment complex at the time.)  I should have thought it through better and realized that people would see that chest clip and shriek.  But at the time, I was just taking a picture of the project, not even thinking about the chest clip.  Sorry if it throws you off a bit…..but yes, we practice safe chest clip placement. :)

Here’s How:

Cut out a horseshoe shape out of paper and make all of the corners curved. I decided to make the part that goes behind the neck a bit more narrow so that it didn’t push my little girl’s neck forward. I drew mine about 10 1/2 inches tall and about 15 inches wide. This size is plenty big for my toddler and I’m sure will work for children of all ages. You might want to increase the dimensions a bit for an adult sized one.

Place on top of any type of fabric and cut out 2 pieces. I used fleece because it’s just so soft.

Sew these two pieces together, right sides together. Make sure to leave an opening a few inches long, to be able to turn it right side out.

Clip the inner curve so that it will lay nicely after you’ve turned it right side out.

Turn right side out and stuff with batting. Hand stitch the opening closed. (Need help with this? Click here.)

Slip around any neck and you’re ready to go.

Caution: might cause drowsiness and extreme comfort if you place around your own neck while driving. Zzzzzzzzzzzzz……….

Filed under Accessory, Children, Gift Ideas, Miscellaneous, Sewing

Comments

50 Responses to “Neck Pillow”
    dailydoseofme says:

I just found your site and love it.
    I love the tuts and have bookmarked many for my to do list :)

Cozzens Family says:

Good idea! I have a snoozie little one that it will be perfect for!

The Mecham Family says:

My daughter and son are going to LOVE this! Thank you!!!!!

The Hughes Family says:

You and your daughter look Identical! You are both Gorgeous!

Ben and Taryn says:

Great idea. We have a trip coming up and my kids bob bad. I may have to whip up a few of these. Thanks for the tutorial!

Brenbren says:

I can’t even begin to tell you how much I LOVE this!!! we jsut recently went on a 14 hour car drive and my 4 yr old kept falling over into his 1 yr old sister. She would pull his hair and wake him up. It was a night mare. I had to keep pushing him up! I am so making one of these!

Good, I’m so glad you have all found this to be useful. I know I hate when my kiddos bob their heads and it wakes them up. Grrrrr…..

Lacey – That’s funny you say we look alike because everyone has always said she looks like her daddy. So now I love you!!!!! :) (You know every momma wants their little girl to look like them. Hahaha…)

[email protected] says:

I so needed this over the weekend! Two weeks until my next trip, hopefully I can bust a few out by then. Thanks so much for sharing, I’ll be linking.

robinsonsarewaiting says:

Great!! We travel 5 hours too and from the cottage and I'm always afraid of my little man's neck getting kinked. Thanks!

Rose says:

I think this is a great idea, my four year old often falls asleep in the car just while running errands and ends up with his chin resting on his chest. Do you think you could fill this with those polystyrene beads, or would that be terribly expensive?

Thanks Jessica, I’ll have to check it out!

Rose, I’m not sure about the beads……..are those the ones that are kind of like styrofoam-ish?? :) I’ve never bought any. But let me know if you use them.

Henderson Family says:

You’re daughter is way cute in the picture. What a perfect model for your cute ideas.

michellejohnnie says:

so easy and useful! I’m linking!!!

Mel says:

awesome idea, i’m gonna try it!

Jenny says:

Ashley,

Thanks so much for this, of course you make it look easy! I'll have to try and make one…good thing my daughter won't care if it's completely messed up!

BTW, I kept trying to figure out why you look so familar…. all girl's clog team at BYU-I??

Deb says:

I think my husband wants me to make him one of these for our upcoming travels! Hmmm…maybe he won't want a pink one? Better go and buy some "masculine" fabric (we have daughters so anything not pink is floral or girly).

Lindsay says:

You want to make sure this is safe to use w/ your carseat. I would check w/ the manufacturer to make sure it wont affect the safety of your seat.

Lindsay, that is a very good point. I wouldn't want someone's pillow to cause anyone's child any harm. So please check with your manufacturer.
    Thanks!!

TracyKM says:

I have a knitted pattern, but sewing would be quicker! As for it being too wide behind the neck, I see people using them the other way around, especially if they are 'chin droppers' LOL. Any ideas of what to do with a girl that is a total body bobber (in a booster), and a boy that tilts his head up? LOL.

EllaBellaMe says:

Hi Ashley, Love the tots travel pillow. Just wondering what is the width on the botton of one of the "legs" and how wide is it at the narrow part that goes behind the child's head? I need to make these for my twin grandaughters. Thx a bunch.

EllaBellaMe – Sorry it took so long to get back to you! I measured the "legs" and they are 5 1/2 inches across and the narrown part behind the neck is 3 1/2 inches across. That is with the 1/4 inch seam allowance so you don't have to add any on to that. Hope that helps!

EllaBellaMe says:

Thank you sew much for the measurements. Now I better make a few.

eakuban says:

How do you stuff the pillow with batting? isn't that sheets of stuff you put in quilts?

Amy Miller says:

What a cutie! Thanks for this idea – my daughter refuses to sleep in the car for the same reason. She even stayed awake throughout our recent 13-hour moving journey. This is going to be a life saver on the trips back home!

Kari says:

I googled "how to make travel pillow for kids" and your website came up! This is PERFECT! Thanks! I am now a follower! I am a beginner in the sewing world, and your directions are so easy to follow!

Judy says:

I made a neck pillow for our 18 hour (one way) road trip and my son loved it! Thanks so much for sharing!

I blogged about it and linked to you here.

Grandma G says:

I just made one of these for my granddaughter today. I blogged about it here and linked to you. Thanks so much for the tutorial!

Jeanne says:

Love that I found this pattern. I am going to put long grain rice in mine so it can be heated in the microwave and give me a nice neck scuggie!! (scuggie = neck hug)

Prell says:

If you use rice,DON'T use fleece! It gets not only warm but rather "slimey feeling"! Consider useing terry cloth, that gets warm and moist feeling, very comfortable.

Stephanie says:

Thank you. I have been looking for an easy neck pillow pattern to make a weighted neck pillow for my s.n. son for long car rides and for riding the school bus.

Jenny Richins says:

Thanks. We always go to california yearly as a family and that is a LONG drive for us. Everyone is snoozing in the car but my hubby. But our necks sure hurt when we wake up. But no more. thanks!

Karthika says:

Hi,
    I just found your site.And it is really interesting.I love this pillow design.Coz i used to travel with my little one and was thinking about getting one for her.but now i’m going to make one for her.thanks a lot for the design

Mummy to M, C & S says:

I love your blog! You are officially my hero!…lol. I have a 2 year old who becomes a bobble head when she falls asleep in the car and where we live “The Bahamas” there are these older women who I always seem to run into who repeatedly say to me “fix her head…she’s going to hurt herself”. So I made a pillow for her yesterday took me 10 minutes! It worked like a charm! Now my 7 year old daughter wants one and I may as well make one for the baby too when he’s ready for it! Thanks so much for the wonderful idea!!!

Gfish says:

Thank you for showing us how to make this travel pillow. Much easier than i was expecting.

Elly says:

Great idea! I’m so making one when my LO is big enough for a booster! I also just wanted to remind you that the chest clip on your daughter’s 5 point harness is just that; a chest clip, not a tummy clip. The top of the clip should be level with her arm pits. Drive safe!

When I took this picture 3 years ago, I just plopped my little girl in her carseat to take the picture. I just hurried, clipped her in, and placed the pillow around her neck. We weren’t actually driving anywhere so I assume I was just hurrying for the photo. I am actually very careful with the chest clip, having 3 kids now, and it’s something that I don’t mess around with. But I do appreciate your concern…….I should have been a little more careful how that looked in the photo. But again, it was 3 years ago. I was still new at all of this blogging stuff too!

Thanks,

esther says:

Yup, I saw this image on Pinterest and thought holy moly…this is highly unsafe. The chest clip is too low, and the neck pillow is most likely not supposed to be used in the car seat. Also check to see if you can angle your carseat better or let your daughter rear face (she is NOT too big).

When I took this picture 3 years ago, I just plopped my little girl in her carseat to take the picture. I just hurried, clipped her in, and placed the pillow around her neck. We weren’t actually driving anywhere so I assume I was just hurrying for the photo. I am actually very careful with the chest clip, having 3 kids now, and it’s something that I don’t mess around with. But I do appreciate your concern…….I should have been a little more careful how that looked in the photo. But again, it was 3 years ago. So I was still new at all of this blogging stuff too!

Also, my little girl was 2 1/2 years old at the time of this photo and at the time, all of the pediatrician’s and car seat experts said that to sit forward facing, a child needed to be 1 year and 20 pounds. She far exceeded those guidelines at the time.

Thanks,

• 37.1.1

Agreed! That’s ridiculous that people gave you such a hard time. The way I see it, at least you have your kid in a carseat! Plus, you even mentioned that you just threw her in for a picture. Come on women! Quit correcting other people and go take care of your own children!

This is a really cool craft idea. I can’t believe someone would post this comment! Mind your own business and thank the poster for a fabulous idea!

Hi! So glad I found your website – love the projects!
    Regading the neck pillow – I actually sell these in our online shop – they are made with aromatherapy, calming & healing herbs, Lavnder, Chamomile & more to relieve stress, headaches, body pain & insomnia. We welcome all to visit & shop at http://www.natureshealinggifts.com. I hope it’s ok that I posted this information. After reading all the comments above, I know our Herbal Neck Wraps will be helpful. Thank you.

Meredith says:

My son is going on a school excursion tomorrow and told me he can take a pillow if it fits in his bag. I just whipped one of these up out of a fleece hoodie with a broken zipper- perfect! Thankyou.

Emily says:

How many inches roughly is the piece that goes behind the neck?

Emily says:

Nevermind…I saw you posted it up in the comments section! Making this tomorrow for our road trip next week!

Mosi says:

We have an 18-hour (one way) trip coming up in April to go visit Fiance’s family, and my little girl always has her head at odd angles and I’m always worried that she’s going to hurt her neck. So, I was looking on Google for patterns for travel pillows for toddlers and came across your site. I have the stuff laying around (Yay for being a crafty mommy!) to make this for her. THANK YOU, so much for this! :)

sandy says:

“I drew mine about 10 1/2 inches tall and about 15 inches wide. This size is plenty big for my toddler and I’m sure will work for children of all ages. You might want to increase the dimensions a bit for an adult sized one.”
    where is that size came from? i want to know about neck antropometry but its hard to find.