ID Tags – Luggage

Spunky little ID tags………..I guess they could be used for any sort of bag: luggage, diaper bag, ski bag, etc. I thought these would be especially useful to help distinguish your luggage from a similar set at the airport. And oh so cute.

(Just put the elastic loop under the handle, pull the elastic open, slide the tag through the elastic loop, and pull. Nice and secure.)

You’ll need:

• 4 pieces for fabric 5 x 3.5 inches (You could use cotton and fuse some interfacing to it to make it thicker, or use a lightweight upholstery fabric. But not too thick or it will be hard to sew through all of the layers.)
  • 10 inch piece of flat but thin elastic. (In some of my pictures I used some cord looking elastic but it was too hard to catch it and secure it with the sewing machine needle. So something flat would work better.)
  • 1 piece of vinyl, 3.75 x 2.5 (You know you have scraps of that somewhere…”now where did I put that?”)
  • thread, sewing machine, scissors, etc.

Cut out your 4 pieces of fabric.

Then, you’re going to draw a rectangle that is 2.75 x 1.5 inches right onto the back. into the middle of your rectangles. Center the rectangle an inch from all sides, except one end, where it’ll be 1.5 inches from the edge. Do the same thing to one more piece. Cut out the holes. (Ignore my pencil markings…..I changed the dimensions after I drew the line on there. But you’ll cut right on your pencil marks.)

Then, you’ll sew these two pieces together (make sure to match up the openings) with right sides together, but only on three sides. Leave the end open that has the bigger span of fabric from the opening to the end. Clip the two corners that are on the other end.

Then turn right side out, poke out your corners, and press flat. Then cut 1/4 inch diagonal slits in all four corners.

Fold under each edge of the rectangle a 1/4 inch. and press flat. Do the same thing to the other side, so all of the loose ends are turned towards the inside and it looks finished from both sides.

Then, slide in a piece of vinyl that measures 3.75 x 2.5 inches. Sew around the opening really close the inside edge, making sure to secure the vinyl into place and the folds of fabric.

Then, fold the opening towards the inside a 1/2 inch. Press and sew into place.

Then sew your other 2 pieces together with right sides together, but only on 3 sides as well. Clip the 2 corners on the completed end.

Turn right side out, poke your corners out, and press flat. Then fold the open edge towards the inside a 1/4 inch. Press flat. Slide the 2 ends of your elastic at the center of this opening. (Remember, as I mentioned above, I changed from this cord elastic to some flat elastic. Worked better.) Sew the opening closed, back-stitching over the elastic a few times.

Then place the side with the opening (which won’t be as long as the other) on top of the side with the elastic. Line up all 3 sides and stitch around.

You’ve got it. And a new ID tag to personalize your bags. Simple solution………okay, and a great scrap-fabric project.

Have fun using your ID tags as you travel this summer.

Comments

13 Responses to “ID Tags – Luggage”
    Sew Chic says:

Another great handy tutorial thanks Ashely :)

Brenbren says:

LOVE IT! I was actually thinking I wanted to do something like this for my luggage, and BAMB! You did a tutorial today! YEAH!

fourlittleloves says:

How cute is this??? Love this idea! And LOVE LOVE LOVE the fabric!

Northern NY Mom says:

I hate living where I do. I can't find vinyl in our 2 craft shop options or the two fabric/quilting shops. So, I guess since their si the 3rd project I'd like to do that uses it… I better order some online. love this project!!!!

Kari @ Ucreate says:

I can't wait to make me some of these!!

Rose says:

Wow, another handy idea. Will you ever run out? Can you IMAGINE? One day, you sit down to create and just can't think of a single thing? haha as if lol. I also wanted to let you know I have a link on my blog for your bow/hair tie holder! Have a great day :)

Beth- the mama bee says:

I made a few of these for our travels. I blogged about it and linked up to you here: http://mamabeefromthehive.blogspot.com/2009/07/luggage-tags-and-handels-travel-part-3.html

Lacie E. says:

this is exactly what i was looking for!

Raphaela Dias says:

Dit, it! It turned out great! The only trouble I had was to turn those 4 1/4′s of the rectangle….
    And your measurements werent correct… I mean to have a 2.75 x 1.5 rectangle, the fabric should measure 5.25 x 3.5 …

Thanks!
    Raphaela

Rosa Marie says:

These are adorable and so is the cell phone /charger holder! Love your site..

CJ says:

These are really handy little items to have! I’ve been making these for years, but have always had trouble attaching the vinyl to the inside. I will definitely have to try “your” way. Thanks for the great pictures!

I just wanted to pass on a suggestion that I got from a friend who works in airport security. He told me, when you fill out the luggage tags, NEVER put your address on the tags. You should only put your CELL phone number and/or your email address. If your bag is left somewhere or lost, it makes it too easy for thieves to see your address and go to your empty house (while you are away on vacation), and rob you.

Oh, and on another note, I have made these “luggage” tags in kid fabric, Christmas fabric, baby fabric, etc and use them as gift tags. Makes a practical reusable gift, the recipient can reuse, rather than giving a card. For some gifts, I place a $ giftcard into the little slot (where the address card would go). For the kids, I have my son draw a picture, on a little notecard, sign his name and slip it into the little slot. I use these at the end of the school year, and attach them to teacher’s gifts.

CJ

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. [...] broad category – if you’re comfortable with some sewing you’ve got options for vinyl, canvas, fabric (with fabric name label), fabric (with plastic window), felt, leather, and leather (with [...]

2. [...] As I mentioned yesterday, today was to be a day of cleaning and household things. I made a list and got to work. Laundry was a huge part of the day. I fluffed up the load that was in the dryer folded them. Then I got to work on doing my chore list. Things were going great. I had put a load in the washer, and while it was washing, I was busy cleaning dishes and doing kitchen things. Chris was standing around chatting, so I politely asked him to switch them over for me. He put them in the dryer and switched it on…and nothing happened. It made a hum like something would happen, but nothing did. What are you supposed to do when you don’t have a dryer? This is the 2000s, not the 1800s. I don’t even have a clothesline! I am really not interested in spending $700 for a new dryer. This one is only 5 years old. My happy cleaning attitude was now ruined by my need to research what the heck just happened. We tried the things the people online said to try…nothing. We made a plan to switch it with one that Chris’ parents have after the Raven’s game, so I was able to get on with my cleaning, but man was I discouraged. After a little while I decided that I had had enough of this discouragement, I need a good Pinterest project to lift my spirits. That is when I decided to make these luggage tags. [...]