Fabric Magnets

You know I can’t throw away scraps.

And you know how I love to incorporate these scraps into projects like here, here, and here.

So how about another excuse to pull out the scrap-basket.

These are quick and super easy.

Not to mention, much cuter than the advertisement that was originally on the magnet. Dull.

Cut out some fabric that is about the same size as the magnet. (Fabric stretches, so whatever you cut out will never stay the same size after you stretch it while using Mod Podge.) Apply a layer of Mod Podge to the front of your magnet and lay your fabric scrap on top.

Trim around the edges of the fabric.

Apply a generous amount of Mod Podge to the top of fabric.

Allow to let dry and then trim any loose threads, if any. (***You can always add buttons, ribbons, or any other embellishments to really sass these up. Go on, try it.)

Slap onto the fridge, magnet board, or wherever.

So darling.

Comments

40 Responses to “Fabric Magnets”
    Shana says:

OH My GAWSH….cutest thing…EVER

craft chica says:

This sure is one of those "Why didn't I think of that?" things.

Very cute and I will be doing this with all of the real estate magnets I have!

Julianne says:

That is such a cute idea! I love it! I have so many of those ugly magnets on my fridge and I'm totally going to do this tonight!
    Do you ever do scrap/patchwork square exchanges with people? I have a ton of scraps and want to trade them with other people so I can have a better selection. If you're ever interested in doing something like that, I'd love to participate. : )
    Thanks for doing such a cute blog, I love reading it!

The Hughes Family says:

Super cute and so dang creative!!!!

Lani says:

so funny! I just did this with all my ugly advertising magnets last week! I used pictures and they turned out really cute too, but I like the fabric, always good to use scraps.

Jamie says:

Great idea! I love to find uses for all those scraps too!

Sara says:

What a great idea! Great for gifts, too!

Cookie says:

Genius! Makes me look around and see what else I can glue some fabric on! c

Beth- the mama bee says:

thats cute, We will try that. We tape ours to the backs of pictures that we want to hang on the fridge, that way you don't have a big magnet blocking over someones face in the photo.

Gallant Family says:

I've made these before, and I have a stash of magnets waiting for this very project. Thanks for the reminder! And I'm with you on not throwing away scraps. I am the same with scrapbooking paper too. I get it from my mom :0)

Twiddle Thumbs says:

I would have never thought of using fabric! Love these!

[email protected] says:

Oh so easy and so colorful, I love it! I'll be linking.

Rich, Britt, and Nate says:

You can also do craft pebble magnets. Use scrapbook paper, fabric, or pictures of the family. We are donig those for Super Saturday!!!!

Kari @ Ucreate says:

Brilliant!

Rose says:

That is fantastic!! I love it, what a clever way to dress up my fridge, which is cluttered with ugly old magnets!

The Cupcake Wardrobe Shop Blog says:

I love that this is a craft we can do right now, we already have everything on hand! Great (and green) idea! Thank you.

handmadebyheidi says:

I really need to get some modge podge. What a great idea.

Wii are the Nelsons says:

cool! I hate some of the magnets I get….I used to have like 20 of those American Express ones

michellejohnnie says:

What a great idea! Everything you think of is brilliant. I linked to this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com

Richardson's Randoms says:

What a fun, fun idea and so super easy.

The Murray Files says:

I lvoe to do this with photos of my kids. They are pretty little still and love to play with them. I used packing tape. I never thought of modgepodge. Thanks for the great idea.

Becky says:

Thanks! I'm having another one of those [slap my forehead] "why didn't I think of that?" moments!

Ashley @ Domestic Fashionista says:

Very cute! I save those free magnets too! lol! Never know when I may need one to make a quick project! Saving the earth one magnet at a time ;)

Alicia says:

BRILLIANT!!

Shana says:

working on some right now!

Amy Anderson says:

Please let me repost these. They are so easy. And awesome!!

Michelle S. says:

So cute! I never thought of doing that before.

Shana says:

I made mine but i discovered one of my pieces of fabric peeled right off the magnet….now I don't know if one of my kids grabbed it played with it, but I was so upset to see it came off!

For those that are having the fabric come off, make sure that you are using enough Mod Podge. Maybe try putting it on pretty heavy……because it will always dry clear, so no biggee. Good luck!

Michelle says:

love this idea, and will be making some as soon as i get some magnets!!! i have a question for you….can you decoupage a painted surface?

Michelle, I don't see why you can't. However, the smoother the surface, the easier it will be for the decoupage to peel off. So if you rough it up with sand paper first, that would help.

Good luck!

Júlia Muntané says:

A very nice and cute blog!!!
    Kisses,

Me and My Family says:

That is a great idea. I have just been using those annoying advertisement magnets to cut up and make file folder games pieces for my kids. I'll have to try this too.

amber lee says:

so cute! what a great idea, i'm going to make some of these soon!

thecraftyscientist.com says:

I just discovered your blog and I'm not sure how I ever lived without some of these projects – especially something like this! Super-cute, easy, and you get to use what you already own? Perfect! I'm your newest follower and I'm just so excited to look at all your tutorials!

Marti says:

I have had this post bookmarked for quite some time, and now that I'm ready to do it, I haven't gotten any of those freebie magnets in the mail in a long time. I love your blog and keep finding more things I want to try. Thanks!

I tried these and the print shows through all but the very darkest fabrics. I'd love to know your recommendation for solving this "show-through" problem. Thank you for the fun idea!

Anon – Paint them white first, let it dry, and then apply the fabric and mod podge. Good luck!

Angel says:

I’m so excited to do this fun little project. I grew up with magnets ALL over the fridge. Mom always hung up our craft/art projects. So now that I have my own home… I hang up pictures of friends and of thier babies, all with super ugly magnets. I just got my first sewing machine this past Christmas and have started all kinds of projects. I HATE the idea of tossing my scraps… so this is just great! Thank you!

Susan says:

Just wondering…..after you are all finished with the mod podging and they are totally dry, do you think these could be cut into shapes? Or would you cut the magnet into a shape first and then apply the fabric. I was just thinking that they would be cute shaped like animals, letters, numerals, etc.