Bean Bag Letters

I saw on the net somewhere these cute bean bag letters. I don’t have the exact instructions, but hey, who cares? We can make up our own.

All I did was cut out the letters (about 8 inches tall) to my little girl’s name in fleece, making them big enough to fill with poly fill beads, or rice, or beans, or whatever. (If you’re using beans or rice, make sure to keep them dry…..you don’t want to make them moldy or cause them to swell.)

***Hint: If you don’t want to free hand the letters— type up the letters on the computer, increase the font, print out, and use them as a template.

Then, sew around the edges, close to the edge. There is no need to flip right side out with fleece, because it won’t fray. (If you’re using cotton, you’ll need to sew with right sides together and then flip it right side out.) Make sure to leave an opening.

Fill with beads.

Then sew that opening closed. (Or hand stitch closed if you’re using cotton or other fraying material.) I used my zipper foot because it is a bit harder to get in close with all of the beads in there with a normal foot.

Then you have some great little letters to toss around, mix up and scatter.

Comments

19 Responses to “Bean Bag Letters”
    Misty says:

Great idea! My kids would love this!

robinsonsarewaiting says:

Great idea!! Thanks!

adorable pearsons says:

Oh I love it & what a cute baby or b-day gift! ps. I am addicted to you site! How do you become a sponsor? I do vinyl lettering and would love to hear more about how I could be involved in your fun!

Rose says:

Cute, and what a great way for toddlers to get familiar with their letters!!

Jessica Hills says:

Ashley, I LOVE your blog! I am the type of person that won't do anything crafty unless its super cute, super cheap, and super easy…I am planning on doing almost all of your projects! Now if I can just find the time…

Jessica :) says:

I love this idea so much! I love all your ideas, actually. I use them all the time to help jazz up my house a little and to practice my sewing skills (since I just got a machine a couple months ago). Thanks for the wonderful ideas and being willing to share with us. I learn a lot from you!
    Also, I know you really don't know who I am, but I wanted to tell you that I loved your blog so much that I passed along an award to you! Enjoy! http://harwoodharbor.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-won-award.html

amanda says:

WHERE DO YOU FIND THE BEST DEAL ON THE CLEAR POLY-FILL BEADS? I BOUGHT (2) 8 OZ PKGS AT HANCOCK FABRICS TODAY FOR $2.99 EACH… WON'T COVER VERY MANY PROJECTS…

I found some at Roberts (a craft store here locally) but they are always so expensive. So I don't have any cheap tricks. Sorry. However, you could sue something else to fill them. Try using bigger plastic beads (the ones that they sell to make cheap little girl jewlery.) Take a stroll down the craft isle and see if there is anything else you could fill them with. I would say rice or beans too but then you don't want them to ever get wet.

Hope that helps!

Suzy says:

You can also use packing peanuts from the office supply store, such as Office Depot.l. A huge bag costs only a few dollars. Or, you can save up your packing peanuts from deliveries you receive for free. Ruined pantyhose also work well, especially if you cut off the elastic band. I save these to use in other projects, They work well for skirts and pants.

• 8.1.1
        Marcie says:

I know this is an old post but thought I would chime in anyway because I’m going to make these for my son… I’m going to try to fill them with plastic bags from the grocery store since I have so many of them. Has anyone tried that before?

Kelli says:

This would make a really great gift!

Kimberly says:

Thanks for the tutorial! I posted a link back to this on my website!

Bia Schneiderman says:

I loved it! But how do I make the holes for letters A or O? what side should I sew first? and how to turn it to the right side?

hi, they have great letters to sew and stuff on the ottobre site (free patterns) . it gives all instructions. the letters do look a little strange but when they are sewn up they are fantastic. just clip into all the curves to get a good shape..

Hey Bia…

Since you don't actually turn the felt right side out, you can just sew the area for the inside of the 'O' or 'A' and then cut it out. Then fill up the Bean Bag with your filler. I sewed all of my letters and left the raw edges on the outside because the fleece doesn't fray. Make sense?

Good luck! :)

These are cute! My daughter is 2 and she already knows all the alphabet. She just needs a little help with pronounciation. We could really use these. Thanx

Doranna Cooper says:

Pet stores have aquarium supplies and a real nice polished gravel that can also be used and it won’t mold.

Patty says:

My son will probably learn his letters much more quickly if he can use them as weapons.

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. [...] Zoë on Dec 10, 2012 in Inspiration | No Comments A great idea for a gift for a child is to make bean bag letters to spell out their name, or if that is too much work you could just make their initial. This idea [...]