Scrappy Camera Strap

Totally not an absolute necessary item……..but who needs necessary?!?!

Good grief, give me some COLOR.

Okay, it is practical to put those scraps to some good use though. Less waste…….. ;)

Do you have a camera with a plain ‘ol neck-strap?

Want some thing new?

All you need is scraps of fabric, interfacing, thread, and a sewing machine.

My camera strap is for my Canon digital SLR. I decided to only cover the webbing part and actually use the whole strap itself. I didn’t cut the strap apart at all and didn’t find new hardware to make a whole new strap. That would have been too much work, right? ;)

So I measured my strap from one end of the webbing to the other, not including the leather on each end. Mine measured 1 3/4 inches wide by 23 1/2 inches long. I doubled the width (so it can cover the front and back) and added 1 inch for seam allowances (1/4 inch on both sides plus a little breathing room and the thickness of the strap). Then I added and inch to the length to give a 1/2 inch to tuck under at each end.

So my exact measurements including seam allowances were 4 1/2 x 24 1/2 inches.

Then I cut out a variety of scraps that were at least 4 1/2 inches wide but were all different lengths. I sewed them all together but just made sure that the final sewn-together-strip was 24 1/2 inches long. Make sense?

Now, iron your strip flat and then iron on some fusible interfacing.

Then, sew your strip together lengthwise, right sides together.

Turn right side out and iron, with your seam on the back.

Then put a safety pin on one end of your strap and thread it through your cover.

Tuck one end under about a 1/2 inch.

You’ll be sewing right under the leather section (if your strap looks like mine) so that you don’t have to sew through leather. See right where the pin is? The webbing section below the leather is pretty easy to sew through.

Do the same to the other side, tucking enough of the leftover fabric under to make the strap smooth.

Now, re-attach your strap and shoot in style.

Filed under Accessory, Miscellaneous, Sewing

Comments

53 Responses to “Scrappy Camera Strap”
    ~Michelle~ says:

If I had a camera that required such a strap, this is the way to go to make it cute! But alas, I don’t…although now I’m thinking I should just cover my existing Guitar hero guitar straps, rather than attempt to make something new… Thanks for the inspiration!

Candice says:

I wish I had a camera to put that cute strap on! Love it!

Rose says:

Too cute! I have a strap for my SLR but I took it off as it is black with a bright yellow NIKON across it…but now I can fix that!!

candiceschenk says:

Thank you! I have been seeing cute straps all over and been wanting one. Woo hoo! Now I can make my own in the colors I want!!!

Barnes Family says:

Cute!! You are so clever.

staceykt22 says:

Thanks for the tutorial. I was JUST thinking of how ugly my camera strap is and I was thinking of how I could fix it… and here’s your nifty post =D

Danica says:

Love it! Thanks for the tutorial. One quick question – would it be easy to take the cover back off if I were to sell my camera and want to offer the original (unscathed) camera strap? Thanks! danicanelson1{at}gmail{dot}com

ashley says:

Danica…..funny you ask that because that’s kind of why I did it the way that I did. I didn’t want to cut it or anything in case I ever wanted to upgrade. And in the webbing, I don’t think you’ll ever be able to tell. Just pick it out and it should be fine. At least with mine that’s how it seems. I’m not sure what you have but stick s needle in it a few time to see if you can still see holes.

Hope that helps. :)

taylors says:

My sister-in-law said that she would teach me how to get this done because I love it. I am just not very brave when it comes to the sewing. :) Anyways….just a thought but you should do a tutorial on those way cute straps for your keys! I really need one! :)

Shannon says:

This is much much cuter than my spiderman lanyard strap that I have attached to mine.

Kari @ Ucreate says:

All I can say is YOU ROCK! Love this!

Mrs. Jones says:

That is awesome! I have been wanting to buy one for my mother and me, but now I don’t have to. Thanks!

~Heather

Perrine says:

Hello!
    I really like your how to. I was wondering if I could translate it in French and add it to my list of how to as explained in my french post (http://www.petitcitron.com/index.php/form_howto.html)
    Of course, your website would be quoted and there would be a link!
    Perrine

[email protected] says:

Wow, it’s gorgeous! You always have the most beautiful photos in your tutes, love that! I’ll be linking.

Puddle of Grace says:

Now why didnt I think of this?!!! Sweet! Thanks for the idea!!!
    Charlene

Pink & Green Mama says:

Love it!1 I can’t wait to make one for my SLR!! Thanks for sharing. It’ll be so much cuter now :)

Sean and Megan says:

I LOVE THIS!!!! I am totally going to make it when I get my new camera!!! Thank you for posting!

SONIA says:

really nice, I always have problems with my camera but this idea could be solve them.
    come on my blog and let me know what you think.
    Sonia

Jeni says:

I managed to find time to make one of these this past week! Thank you for a great tutorial! :)

Cheryl says:

I found your blog a while back and bookmarked it. Today I had some free time and decided to look through your ever growing list of tutorials. WOW! lots of cool stuff! I am so doing this one for my Canon. Now all I need to do is find some lovely fabric scraps to make it all colorful. Thanks for sharing.

Michelle says:

So I finally tried this out today and it came out alright but for only my second sewing project it came out pretty good! Thanks so much for tut, I adjusted the size and followed your steps! Great tut Ashley!

Julie says:

Just came across your blog and wanted to thank you for sharing all your wonderful projects! I too am mom to 2 little ones, so time is of the essence, I plan on making myself a camera strap and maybe a couple for christmas gifts as well.

Heidi says:

Totally love it!! I just got done making mine! I am a photographer and I feel like I just added more personality to what I do!!!!

Katie says:

I want to make one of these for a friend, but I don't have interfacing on hand and I don't really want to go buy any. Is it very necessary? Do you think it would look alright without one or does it make a pretty big difference?

You really don't have to….it just helped stiffen it up. However, you could use 2 layers of fabric, that would help stiffen it up a bit too! Good luck!

Hilary Mercer says:

I love that you just covered the strap. Id like to make one for a friend but I dont want to get a strap from her. Where do you think sells the "hardware" to connect to the camera. I looked at Joanns and they didnt seem to have anything.

Hilary, I haven't noticed any hardware in stores. But I imagine if you google it, you'll find a place to purchase some online. Sorry, I wish I had more info.

Courtney says:

If I had any talent with a sewing machine, I would definitely make one of these. You should sell these!

Dani says:

So cute! I made one, a little different, but linked to your tutorial too.

mommy-made-it.blogspot.com

handbags*n*pigtails says:

I just made one. Thanks for the tute:)
    Sarah

Meal Plan Mom (Brenda) says:

I totally had the idea to make fun new camera straps for my camera because so many people I know have cameras that look all the same so we're always trying to figure out who's is who's. This is is a great tutorial and I can't wait to make my own covers!

Doug and Amanda says:

So, my husband just got a camera, and he complains that the strap digs into his neck. He wants to buy a strap cover that is cushioned (if they even make those). Do you think you could come up with a tutorial for that? I was thinking it would be similar to your seat belt cover…

Hey Amanda, just making the cover the way I did in these directions helps a ton with the strap digging into my neck. But if he wants extra padding, try wrapping a layer of felt or dense batting around the strap before sliding this strap cover over it. Or you could make it just like the seat belt cover with velcro….then he could remove it when he wanted to. Hope that helps and good luck! :)

Doug and Amanda says:

Thanks so much! I'll give it a try!

kszwahl says:

FYI:
    Tomorrow I am posting a blog about how I made your Scrappy Camera Strap. Hope you check it out.

Phyl says:

ooh just discovered your blog and this is a great project! Just have to wait until my sewing machine is out of the shop :-(

* TONYA * says:

Thank you so much for such a fabulous, easy-to-follow tutorial.

I made it and I love it.

Erin says:

Thanks for the simple tutorial Tonya! I've been meaning to make one of those myself, and you've given me the inspiration to finally get to it! Miss you and the kiddies!

JM PhotoArt says:

SOSO cute! Just found this, but what a great idea!

Rachel says:

This is so awesome! You're a stud. Thank you for posting this. It's not that I wouldn't like to buy a $45 camera strap, but I'm not made of money, and it's so much more fun making it yourself!

PreppyLittleLady says:

Fan-tastic!
    keeep posting, love it

Kim says:

I made my strap last night. A little different but I love it! Thanks for the sweet idea!

Jill says:

I Did it! I made one! …& I Love it! Thank you for the idea and inspiration Ashley.
    You can come on over and take a look if you want: http://4fabfranklins.blogspot.com/2011/05/crafty-colorful.html
    See ya!

Jaydensmama says:

This may seem strange, but is there a way to make these to where you can change them when you get tired of one pattern? I don't want to ruin my original strap to my camera, but it does bug me to death when it rubs my neck.

Mea says:

I topstitched mine for a sleek finishing touch!!! Great tutorial and it adds pizazz to my camera!! Thanks so much!!! PLEASE don’t stop doing your tutorials. You are awesome!

Michele says:

Thank you so much for this tutorial! Hubby bought me my first DSLR for Mother’s Day and it came with the basic strap. The nice ones with leather are so expensive!

Since I’ve had neck surgery, I needed some padding to help alleviate the pressure on my neck so I made a strap with faux leather and some denim left over from making cut off shorts. I slid some foam (left over from your camera bag tutorial project) between the leather and sewed it shut.

The ends of the denim didn’t tuck as nicely as broadcloth or calico, so I superglued a piece of ribbin around the bottom of each denim piece.

Not bad fora sewing noob!

Jessica says:

Such a great idea!! I’m excited to cut up an old dress and make a slip with the fabric :D