Sewing Accessories

How I get my groove on…..

My sewing groove, that is.

You’ll just have to read on to see……

I am frequently asked what my “must have” tools are. I figured this would be worthy of its very own post.

I know many of you are just getting started and I love that. And for this reason, you have many questions, which I also love. It just means that you are considering jumping on this great little bandwagon of crafting/sewing. It’s quite a rush…..there’s no turning back. ;)

So here, let me help you a little bit more:

I have mentioned here a couple of times what type of machine I have. So once again, I have had a Singer 7444 for a couple of years and it has served me well.

Not SUPER fancy but a little above the basic machine. It works great for me.

I love having a sewing caddy to keep all of my notions and such in. It keeps everything together and organized.

Ooooh, something else I highly recommend is a thread caddy. Yes, its very own case. This keep all of that thread in its own space and keep it from unraveling and such. Mine looks like the inside plastic case, without the blue outer cover. I think it was a couple of dollars…..but very worth it.

And then of course some scissors (mine aren’t fancy…..just Fiskars),

a seam ripper (I use mine A LOT),

a retractable measuring tape (not necessary to have a retractable one, but convenient),

hand sewing needles,

And then of course thread and bobbins. (not pictured)

Also, it’s really handy to have pins and a pin cushion around. (Here’s a tutorial HERE.)

If you are cutting stuff out a lot, you might really enjoy a rotary cutter and mat. (Especially for quilt blocks.) It can save some time and keep your hands from getting callouses from the scissors. Yes, I have my fair share of callouses. Yuck.

Oh, I also use double sided iron-on adhesive a lot. Like Heat ‘n Bond. It works really well for a variety of projects.

Many of you know how much I love my Mod Podge. There are so many uses for it…..so go pick up a bottle.

And some sponge brushes to apply it with.

And finally, a glue gun. It’s a quick and easy way to finish off a project or add extra support to something.

Whew!
I think that covers the basics. There are always other things to add to your collection and you don’t have to get it all at once. These are just some things that I find very useful and helpful.

Do you have birthday coming up? An anniversary? Why not add a couple of these to your wish list.

And then have fun making something new.

Comments

15 Responses to “Sewing Accessories”
    Shana says:

thanks for the list! I JUST got my own sewing machine this past week. I just made a dress for my little girl with the “mock smock” fabric I got from Walmart….and I had to rip the seam after my first try….

Are they both sewable? I have the type that you can sew through because I usually sew around the material after I attach it to things. So maybe it’s the lite?? But if you can sew through both, it just depends on if you are using thin or thick fabric.

Good luck………so glad you have your own machine now. YAY!!!!!

Rebekah says:

How I love a good seam ripper!

abnsigoslady says:

Love the little pin cushion. I need to make one of those. The old “tomato” needs to be retired. Laura @ the mansion

The Ostlers says:

Thank you so much for the post. i emailed it to my husband so he had a clue what to get me for mothers day. lets hope it works. :D

Abby says:

I am a very new sewer, and I'm happy to report that I have most of these things! I love your site! I definitely will be purchasing the Darla pattern in the near future

Dilla says:

thank you for sharing this. REALLY!

Luvers says:

Hi ashley,
    I'm looking to get my hands on a project, I'm 6 months pregnant and would like to finish some things up for baby. Do you by any chance have a tutorial for a Boppy pillow cover? mine is plain and boring and I don't want to go buy one I want to actually make one! Anyway let me know! Thank you

Hey Luvers….I haven't made one but making one seems like it would be very basic. I don't have our boppy anymore to demonstrate making one……but if you traced around your boppy, I bet you could do it. Just smash it down flat to get an accurate measurement, and then cut 2 out of that shape. Then sew them right sidew together and leave an opening that you could then add a zipper to or use velcro. i know that's a very basic explanation without pictures….but I'm sorry, I don't have one to demonstrate.

Best of luck and email me if you have any other questions.

[email protected]

Rachie says:

I love your site. It has inspired me to make EVERYTHING myself..and I was just at the crafts shop running through my head all the things I need to start my craft room and managed to get 4 of the things on this list so im stoked…just got to get some mod podge and a glue gun and I shall be set :) oh and the Thread caddy…soo thank you for inspiring me..I have told my best friend about you too and now shes hooked ;)

Rachie

Linda says:

Hi Ashley,
    I need help with the “fusible interfacing.” I thought I had some ….turned out to be Heat ‘n Bond and won’t work. When you peel off the paper you have a sticky surface…I don’t think it will work. What to use?

Sarah Joy says:

What do you recommend using for tracing your pattern pieces out on? Especially bigger ones – like for clothes? [I'm thinking of the wearable blanket right now.]

Thanks!

wow, that’s a lot of supplies but i have to agree they all have their uses!

Veronica says:

I LOVE your blog. I want to make everything on it!!!!! I just got my first sewing machine this past Christmas and I love it so much. My daughter just turned one in February and I want to make everything I see for her. I have really jumped on the hair bow bandwagon, I started making them and realized that I love doing it so much. I want to learn to sew as well as you do. I have never taken any classes or anything…did you self teach or did you take formal classes? I haven’t gotten the chance to do any of your projects yet, but I can’t wait to be able to. Thanks for sharing your great stuff. It’s all so amazing.

Sandra says:

Girl thanks for every advice. you are my idol. Greetings from Serbia, Europe.