Tissue Box Cover

Have Allergies?

‘Tis the season…..

We always have a box laying around. In most rooms. And who’s the culprit? Not me……it’s my husband. Poor guy. But once again, I found something to cover and spice up a bit. Yep, it’s true.

Here’s another quick/scrap-using project. Do you like these kinds of projects? I do.

You’ll need:
Tissue Box (I used a square Kleenex brand box)
Scrap pieces of fabric
Sewing Machine
Thread
Scissors

***I used upholstery type fabric, so it was pretty thick. You can use cotton too but just use some fusible interfacing to make the fabric thicker, so it keeps its shape better.

First, cut out a top piece that’s 5 x 5 inches and 4 side pieces that are 6 x 5 inches. (Or it might be different if you’re using a rectangle box or another brand that has different dimensions. In that case, measure each side and add 1/4 inch seam allowance to all sides.)

Then, you’ll cut a small rectangle out of the top piece that measure about 2 1/4 x 1/3 inch. (You can adjust this to whatever dimensions you’d like and it will still turn out great.)

Then, cut 1/4 inch slits at a diagonal from each corner of this rectangle.

Then fold these flaps to the underneath side and pin into place.

Sew all the way around the inner edge of the rectangle to keep the flaps in place.

Then sew all of your side pieces together along the 6 inch side, with right sides together.

Then, clip little 1/4 x 1/4 inch squares out of each corner of your top piece.

Now, you’ll pin your top piece to your side piece, with right sides together. Fold the little square opening together at the sides, creating a square corner as you pin. Do this to all 4 corners and sew into place.

Now, turn the cover right side out and fold the bottom edge under a 1/4 inch and then another 1/4 inch and sew into place (adjust or trim if you need to before folding bottom edge under).

Iron as best you can to make your edges sharp and crisp.

Slide over your tissue box and proudly display your little creation!

Comments

25 Responses to “Tissue Box Cover”
    Christine says:

I cannot believe how often you come up with new and fun projects! You are sure amazing!

jodi says:

Is there anything in your home not covered in fabric? Very stylish by the way.

[email protected] says:

Oh this is way cute, I love it! I’ll be linking.

Dalling Family says:

Ingenious!

miss says:

Oooooo, you are good.

Kinley says:

Clever! Look at you! Such a smarty!

Shantommy says:

I love your site. My little guy keeps me very busy and I’m in the middle of a move, so I have yet to make anything, but my sister does all your projects….so I have an idea for you… You know those hand towel things that you hang on your refrigerator door to wipe your hands on? Well, I was thinking, you could probably design a super cute one to attach to the towel? You’ve got to be running out of ideas right? Or are you that creative?!! I’m jealous!

Rachelle says:

You are so talented! A friend just sent me to your site today and I’m loving it!

Shantommy…….ooooh, I’ll have to think about that one. Hmmmmm….
    Thanks. And yes, sometimes I think, what else could I make/change? But then someone offers an idea (thanks!) or I see something that I’d like to duplicate. And as weird as it sounds, I have a list of ideas that is always growing and changing. So I can always resort to that too.

The Cannons says:

I just made this one and I love it. I am making three more in the short rectangle boxes. I thought I would throw out the dimensions I did in case they were helpful. Top piece 9 1/2 by 51/4 and the sides 5 1/4 and 41/4 (2) and 9 1/2 by 4 1/4 (2).

S.Dixon says:

oooh.
    I think that is beautiful and looks easy! Thanks

Daphne says:

What a great idea! Absolutely love it. I do love using up my left over pieces.

Helby says:

Just made a couple of these with some spare fabric. Thanks for the pattern!

Mam'Zelle Scrap says:

it seems so easy…

Anne says:

thanks for the tute..I'm going to make this right now..thnks again for sharing u'r knwoledge..

Sarah says:

Thanks!! I made a couple of these last night, and they really liven up my bathrooms. I did laugh as I was making them, thinking that I was actually making covers for my kleenix boxes, but they're great!!

Donna says:

Love it! Thanks for the great idea.

karomanah says:

oh! love this choice of fabric …..nice print

Erin says:

I made a tissue box cover after seeing this tutorial. I didn’t write a post on it but you can see it in some of the pictures from this post:

I love the way it looks! It is amazing how something so simple can make you so happy!

Amy says:

I’m making these to give to family members to encourage more eco friendly lifestyle for all of us. Since you’re so creative, could you figure out a way to fold hankies in the box so that when we’re done with our tissues we can refill our boxes with hankies?

Sweet Sue says:

I love the easy way you attach the top to the sides by cutting out the notches!!!

Meher says:

Dear Ashley,
    I’m just discovering this site & I must say that you are simply Genius! All your posts & projects are very inspiring & I absolutely LOVE the way you recycle things & that you explain really well with lots of pictures & make everything look super simple! I have an 18 month old boy & am dying to try out some of the stuff from your blogs.
    Your Fan!!

Upton629 says:

I am making one right now, but can’t figure out the corners – why are they cut in 1/4 in cutouts? Do I line them up at the corners or in the center? The “pin it” label is in the way and I can’t see how you secured it using straight pins -
    help!
    This is a super cute idea!

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. [...] If you have a lot of fabric scraps lying around, this  sewing tissue cover project by Make It Love It would be a good way to go.  I know that I am always looking for good ways to use up my leftover [...]

2. [...] boxy item”. I bet that means it would work to cover a cardboard paper box, eh!?! I found a tissue box cover tutorial over at “Make It and Love It”, which shows a similar construction method (if [...]