Scrap-Pieced Baby Bib

First of all…….did you notice the new look? Okay, it’s only slight, so maybe you didn’t. But I just wanted to mention that there are actual buttons under the blog header now, that will direct you to different sections of the blog. I think the most helpful will the the FAQ section as it is taking me longer and longer to get back to some of you that have asked me questions. (sorry!) Hopefully this section will help answer your questions sooner. Also, some of you weren’t aware that I had an email address listed before. I’ll admit, it was a little tricky to find before. But now, there’s a link right up there are the top. (So if you’ve been getting updates on your google reader about new posts…….that’s why. It’s because of these new buttons. Tricked you.) Also, I have been playing around with section header on the sides but am not sold on what I have up right now. So yeah, I’ll probably change it 17 more times before I leave it alone.
:o)

On to the BIB…..

Wow, it’s been baby central around here lately. Lots and lots of baby items. Here’s one more for you all. I know there is always a baby shower to go to…….so these tutorials might come in handy for you. Or maybe you have a drooler that always wears a bib.

Might be fun to have a sassy little bib on your little one.

You’ll Need:
(This totally depends on what size bib you’d like to make)

• Scrap pieces of fabric
  • Larger piece of fabric for backing
  • Thin quilt batting
  • Velcro
  • Thread
  • Sewing Machine

Now, the way I did it, is I traced around one of my little guy’s bibs…..but made it a little longer. Then I traced around it again but added another 1/4 inch, for the seam allowance. Oh, and I also adjusted the 2 end pieces to come out as squared ends. Why? I just like the look of it. No other reason. :)

***If you don’t want to trace or you don’t have a bib to trace around, I found a great bib pattern/tutorial online that you could use HERE. I’m not sure how big it is or how easy the instructions are because I just wanted to hurry and measure off of a bib that I knew fit my little guy. So I just traced. It’s up to you though. Both ways will work great, I’m sure.***

Okay, getting back to work……..

Then I cut out my paper pattern and laid it down next to some scrap pieces that I kind of fit together and trimmed and made sure that they would be big enough, including 1/4 inch seam allowances. Then sew them together. This is where you can get really creative and abstract. Try making just stripes, maybe all squares, maybe just one strip along the bottom, or how about all sorts of shapes……might be fun to experiment with. And if you do……send me a picture. I would love to see what all of your creative minds come up with.

Then iron your pieced fabric flat. Then cut out your bib front, using your pattern.

Then cut out a back piece from one solid piece of material and also a piece from your batting.

Then place your 2 fabrics together, with right sides together and then lay your batting on top.

Pin in place.

Sew around the entire bib (all 3 pieces), leaving about 4 inches open at the bottom.

Trim around the curve of the bib so that it will lay flat after you turn it right side out.

And then trim off the corners of the 2 end pieces.

Turn right side out and shove a pencil into the ends, to poke the corners out nice and sharp. (Be careful not to puncture your fabric.) Then fold down the fabrics of the opening and pin closed.

Now, sew around the entire bib, close to the edge. Then, attach some velcro to the 2 end pieces and add buttons to the front. The buttons are totally optional and impractical really. But they sure add a fun little touch to the bib.

Now place on your baby to protect that brand new white shirt……..or any color. (If you have a baby…..you know they’ve stained about a million of them. Seriously.)

Enjoy!

Comments

36 Responses to “Scrap-Pieced Baby Bib”
    Cari says:

So adorable!! I can’t wait to try this. My 4 month old daughter needs this. She is a drool factory.

Jer and Myaela says:

This looks sooo cute! I’m excited to go raid my mom’s fabric to find stuff to use for it!

Beth says:

cute! my 6 month old constantly has drool pouring out of his mouth.. i might have to whip one of these adorable bibs up today!

Bobbi Lee says:

Cute as always! Thanks for giving me a way to use up some of my scraps!!!

The Hughes Family says:

Super cute!!! I swear Im never going to get this package off to my sister who is having her first baby…I keep making more things to throw in there. I did have a quick question though…Im assuming that after cutting out the peices of fabric for the front you sew them together…It didnt say anything about sewing but I just wnt to make sure that is what i do. Thanks!

Good, so glad you like it. Hop to it…..get out your scraps! :)

Hughes – Yes, you sew them together. I just went and highlighted that part in the text because maybe it was easy to gloss over. Thanks for the heads up. I think the problem is that I changed views and was showing the sewing from the batting side, so you can’t really see the other 2 pieces of fabric on the other side. Sorry for the confusion. And thanks!

Kaela says:

So, so, soooo cute! I’m reading this at work and can’t wait to whip one up! But I can’t! We’re moving and all is packed…. Bummer! Definitely putting this on my short list when all is normal!

The Newton's says:

Love the bib! I think you should come up with a great way to hang all of my daughters hair bows. I really need something and you are much more creative then me! Just a suggestion.

Emily says:

OH my gosh! Your blog is my new addiction! I love it! Thanks for doing this and helping us!! I’m really wanting to get better at sewing and so I appreciate your easy tutorials and basic instructions! You make me feel like I can be CRAFTY!!! Awesome! Also, I have a question for you… WHERE do you get all your adorable fabric?? PLEASE let me know!! I’m DYING to know!!! Thanks!! ALso, what are some good suggestions for getting cheap fabric? Or not spending too much on fabric like I seem to do sometimes…. THANKS!!!

aiz says:

handsome guy….

Wendy says:

Thats so cute. I have GOT to get my sewing machine figured out!

Adie and Wesley's Mommy says:

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your blog!! I am new to crafting (just now finding time since my husband is deployed and my babies aren't demanding ALL of my attention anymore!). I've been blog-hopping for a week looking for ideas to fill my time this summer. Your blog is by far the BEST I've found. You have such creative ideas; I bookmarked almost every post I looked at! Thank you so much!
    Holli

Cari says:

Question. Where do you shop for material? I have seen several of the fabrics that you use at Hobby Lobby and promptly snagged myself some but I was wondering if you had any other suggestions of places to check out.

Thanks!

Powers Fam says:

Your bib tutorial is so cute! I love how you use scraps or small yardages for your projects. All your cute stuff is making me want to procrastinate on a quilt project I need to start. :)

Real quick……..you guys make me smile. And also, on the home page under the header…..there is a FAQ button. Click there about the fabrics. Hurry…….go check and see. :)

Cassidy says:

just wanted you to know i love your blog. I love the siplicity but so “have to have” status. You are very talented and i enjoy reading your blog. Thanks for making it public. So cute. I wish i had a girl for those booties of yours.

Wendy Hegerhorst says:

I have made several bibs for my granddaughter. I love your design but a trick I have found is to cut a layer out of an old vinyl table cloth to put behind the batting. So the wet doesn’t get through to the cloths.

Wendy, thanks for the suggestion. Funny you suggest it though because I have a clear vinyl cover over my table and I was going to use that same stuff to cover the front of the bib, but it was too bulky. But putting it inside would be a great option. Love it…..thanks!!

Rose says:

HA! I’m ahead of you on this one, I’ve already made Rayna bibs lol. I just need to find some vinyl material to use as backing as she soaks right through if they don’t have some kind of plastic/pvc/vinyl backing material. Damn teeth. :)

Small fry & Co. says:

Great, great idea. Really cute and so many possibilities. Thanks a million

[email protected] says:

I like the new look and the FAQ is wonderful. I really need to make one myself. Taking time out of email to make a faq that will cut down on email…funny cycle! Thanks for the bib project, I’ll be linking!

SHN Handmade says:

This is precious… I will make some this weekend!

Perrine says:

Hello!
    I really like your how to. I was wondering if I could translate it in French and add it to my list of how to as explained in my french post (http://www.petitcitron.com/index.php/form_howto.html)
    Of course, your website would be quoted and there would be a link!
    Perrine

Ivy says:

Absolutely LOVE your blog!!! Such cute and creative ideas:)

I have a question on making the bib. Do you sew the pieces together on the front? Please explain how you do this. Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful ideas and awesome tutorials!
    Ivy

Yes Ivy, sew all of the pieces together on the front first. Then iron them flat and then cut out your bib shape. Good luck! :)

♥ Ania z Zielonego Wzgórza ♥ says:

I really love it! :)))
    You have an awesome blog! :) Thank you for sharing :)

Michelle says:

Thank you hun for all your tuts!!! I'm going through them as I have the time, and I made this one today! It was easy enough for me, so thanks!

Nicole says:

I know my post is a million years later, but I was wondering about piecing the fabric together. How do you do it? I am a sewing novice and I want to take this on as my first challenge. I'm not exactly sure how I should sew the pieces together. If you could explain, I would greatly appreciate it and also how to you keep your sewing of the edges so uniform? I guess slow and steady and not having a heavy foot helps out. :) Thanks so much for this tutorial.

Quilter Mom of 2 says:

I understand that some parents use bibs to protect a cute outfit from drool or spit up.

But if you have a bib on them all the time, does it matter how cute their outfit is?

Cause nobody is gonna see it under that bib…?

Little sewer 360 says:

Soooooooo Cute!!!!!! I have tons of scraps I could use……… THANK YOU SOOOOOOOO MUCH my aunt’s having a third baby and I’m in charge of the surprise baby shower…………

Really cute, I love your fabric choices. This is probably overkill in the better safe than sorry department but I probably wouldn’t sew buttons on a bib front as they may pose a choking hazard – babies do love to chew and suck on things and if they aren’t securely stitched down, they could be easily pulled off.

Sheree says:

Hi

Just found your site, really helpful, I am totally new to this, and got an all singing all dancing sewing machine for Christmas. Someone I spoke to mentioned tidying up edges (surging I think she called it) before making anything, would that go for a tea cosy or a pin cushion or is it just for clothes?

Bean and Me says:

Not only does your baby look adorable so does that bib! I love the combination of mixing fabrics to create something so unique. Such a clever idea. WELL DONE!

mumzie says:

Love the bib – sans the buttons – concerned about baby picking them off and possibility of chocking

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. [...] Pocket Bib from saybb.net (GIF Pattern | Chinese) Ruffle Bib from saybb.net (JPG Pattern | Chinese) Scrap-Pieced Baby Bib from Make It and Love It [...]

2. [...] Babero Posted in Blogs interesantes, General, Otras labores, Patchwork, Tutoriales 30/04/12 Que bonito que queda… Make it and love it [...]